PDA

View Full Version : Walking on the bike - A really weird gravel riding idea that seems to work.

AlpinePossum
10th May 2010, 20:19
Ok, so we all know the road maintenance crews here in Canterbury hate us bikeys.

They cover the roads in a layer of loose ball bearings over plate glass....

Ok. Slight exaggeration.

Today I hit a really bad section of the stuff on the plains and the bike (Suzi DR650 with dirt tires) just felt wildly loose and skitterish. Scary scary scary.

So I started experimenting.

Ok, more weight on the pegs. Helps a bit.

Weight a bit back.

Helps a bit.

Shit shit shit this stuff is EVIL.

So I slowed way down... ok. I'm coping... let's see how well I'm coping now, lets try sway from side to side and see if the tires are holding.

HEY! It feels better when I do that!

Less skittery. Whoops, I'm taking the weight off the pegs.

I'm not entirely sure why I started doing it, but this is what I ended up with..

Place enough weight on the pegs to almost, but now quite, lift my bum off the seat.

Now walk on the pegs (without actually lifting my feet off, just taking all the weight off the "up" foot.)

Left - right - left - right - left -right .... at a walking pace.

Not sure why it works, I think it wiggles the whole bike a bit an forces the tires to dig in a bit. But it worked!

Solid as a rock!

I ended up belting along at 100kph and every time I hit a pile of "ball bearings" I just "walked the bike" across it.

I'd love to hear whether this works (or doesn't work) for anyone else!

Ocean1
10th May 2010, 21:03
I like to do that standing up, keep the knees bent and move back when I see or feel lose stuff.

Not sure if the walking thing adds grip or control but it helps prompt feedback, which is all good.

junkmanjoe
10th May 2010, 21:05
full throttle straight line,, then i would have cut you a trench in the gravel so you could ride in that....

yea.....or na

JATZ
10th May 2010, 21:12
full throttle straight line,, then i would have cut you a trench in the gravel so you could ride in that....

yea.....or na

Nah.....he'd be knocked out by flying chunks of gravel unlees he was a good 100m back :D

bart
10th May 2010, 22:05
Standing is certainly the way to go as you can instantly 'weight' the area of the bike that needs traction. By moving forward and backward, you can use your weight to help either tyre grip (under brakes or acceleration).

I kind of know what you mean about the walking thing. Perhaps the bike is getting a wiggle on anyway, but by weighting the bike side to side, you are actually forcing it to wiggle in a predictable way?

bogan
10th May 2010, 22:22
reckon its all in your head aye, can do some pretty quick speeds through gravel/new seal, you just gotta let the bike slide around as it wants to, in your case wiggling the bike just means you are expecting movement in the bike anyway, so the addition of a small amount of slip is easier to deal with. Well thats my theory on it anyway.

Crisis management
11th May 2010, 08:19
Short answer...dunno.
I ride off road standing all the time but find gravel easier to ride sitting down, as the others have commented it may just be a matter of getting used to the bike squirming around, and, as with all these things, you will find everyone has a method that works for them but not neccessarily for others.

Monstaman
11th May 2010, 08:26
I try and ride the bike by holding on loosely and letting good old Suzi do what she wants within reason, main thing is not to allow the wiggle or swing from the bike through to you cos that is when you lose form and some (or all) control.

Traditionally most of us tend to hang on too tight thus transferring everything the bike is doing into ourselves and making work so much harder for ourselves, sometimes I find myself riding tight or anxious and I have to physically and loudly say to myself ...relax and unclamp ... the results are always good.

Both my psychologist and surgeon say I should be out of hospital in time for spring riding :weird: :laugh:

Phreaky Phil
12th May 2010, 19:36
As soon as you stand up you transfer your body weight onto the footpegs, lowering the center of gravity. not sure bout the "walking" bit, must give it a try

Transalper
12th May 2010, 20:45
I always put my weight on the up foot to put the tail back in line.

dmc
12th May 2010, 20:47
Or buy a LC8 as it removes all the nasty shingle from the road for you and everyone behind you.

bogan
12th May 2010, 20:50
As soon as you stand up you transfer your body weight onto the footpegs, lowering the center of gravity. not sure bout the "walking" bit, must give it a try

thats not quite how gravity works, when you stand the center of gravity goes up, but not being planted on the seat makes the COG more flexible, and better equipped to cope with losses of traction

dino3310
12th May 2010, 20:52
i just slow down cause im shitting bricks when she gets all wobbly, will try the walk thing next ride

bart
12th May 2010, 21:13
thats not quite how gravity works, when you stand the center of gravity goes up, but not being planted on the seat makes the COG more flexible, and better equipped to cope with losses of traction

Also unloads the rear suspension slightly, which in turn sharpens the steering head angle and shortens the wheelbase, which improves steering.

I've been in situations where I can't stand above 100kmh+ because of the wind, but when sitting, get massive tank slaps (bars violently shake from side to side). Only option is to slow down, or end up on my arse.