PDA

View Full Version : How many of you own a ZXR250A/C?

placidfemme
23rd May 2005, 11:16
Am just a little curious as to how many of you own ZXR250's Either A or C.

:ride:

John
23rd May 2005, 11:17

92 C, mines currently being operated on so its all hush hush until its finished, had some implants, some botox and other beauty enhancers

:lol:

RPM91
23rd May 2005, 11:51
I got a 1993 Kawasaki ZXR 250C MODEL, just waiting for it to get painted as I had a little crash on it :whistle:

wildcat_lgf
23rd May 2005, 11:51
Yep, '91 C model...with bright yellow paint and blah blah blah...

placidfemme
23rd May 2005, 11:53
Implants and botox lol

Yeah I have a 92 C as well. Has had a little bit of a make over already (brought it with all the add-ons)

Aftermarket Pipe
Rev Limiter
Custom Fuel Line
Racing chain/sprocket
Honda Clock
Quater Turn Throttle
Blue LED lights under seat shining onto pipe and back wheel (not very noticeable)
Custom coloured nuts/bolts or whatever they're called...

I had the LED light installed, not very impressed with the glow... might instal a 2nd 20cm bulb to see if it stands out more...

NC
23rd May 2005, 11:57
I had a 93 :)

John
23rd May 2005, 12:08
Implants and botox lol

Yeah I have a 92 C as well. Has had a little bit of a make over already (brought it with all the add-ons)

Aftermarket Pipe
Rev Limiter
Custom Fuel Line
Racing chain/sprocket
Honda Clock
Quater Turn Throttle
Blue LED lights under seat shining onto pipe and back wheel (not very noticeable)
Custom coloured nuts/bolts or whatever they're called...

I had the LED light installed, not very impressed with the glow... might instal a 2nd 20cm bulb to see if it stands out more...
Got yourself a rather nice kitted out bike eh?...

At the current rate I think the luckiest ZXR250 on this site has being wildcat's, all the others have being in the wars sadly...

There is alot of ZXR's on this site, need to organise another newbie ride I think so I can see that yellow beast in person wildcat

My current non-secret mods:
Exhaust (just removed baffle plates so its nice and deep, like a rotang)
5 Piece Header System (all chrome)
Alarm
Radar Detector
66w XEON Bulbs
Carb tweaks
Fuel filter
Oxford PROPER heated grips not those fugly wrap around things :P
De-restricted (allows it to go over 190kmph, and it does that rather happily I might ad :) )
NZ NEW zxr400 Speedo, with matched ODO from the original speedo think its sitting at 19thousand K at the moment.
Abit of cam head work cam timing etc and gearbox work
Stiffer clutch work

And thats all I'm willing to disclose at this point (lol) Mine was originally the same colors as your bike (you can sort of see the bike in my profile its the only non wrecked photo with me in it, as in bike wreck thankyou:killingme)! ah, I've said to much, another tit bit is fitting some 4pot calipers onto the ZXR when I find some nicer ones that will fit, I found some NISSIN 4pots on trademe but I'm unsure if they will fit so I will wait and go try get some BREMBO's on it, already has new front rotors (offical OEM parts)...

I must say so far this bike has had a very luxorious life, and made me broke - But I love it, you learn alot to - and did I forget to say, they go HARD!

p.s any luck with those clutch plates wildcat? :yes:

placidfemme
23rd May 2005, 12:22
Wow, you sure have done a lot to it. I'm fairly new to riding, and even newer at learning about the engine... when I took my bike in for it's WOF/Service I had to ask the guy to show me where to check my oil... just to have him show me and tell me to take the bike in to change the oil as the modified fuel line would be a pain in the ass to remove or something...

But I'm getting there slowly...

Any advice on the best type of alarm and where to buy it from and get it installed... same with the radar detector...

Also, if I decided to custom paint the bike where could I go and about how much would I be looking at paying for the paint job?

John
23rd May 2005, 12:37
Wow, you sure have done a lot to it. I'm fairly new to riding, and even newer at learning about the engine... when I took my bike in for it's WOF/Service I had to ask the guy to show me where to check my oil... just to have him show me and tell me to take the bike in to change the oil as the modified fuel line would be a pain in the ass to remove or something...

But I'm getting there slowly...

Any advice on the best type of alarm and where to buy it from and get it installed... same with the radar detector...

Also, if I decided to custom paint the bike where could I go and about how much would I be looking at paying for the paint job?

Hmm ok I'll get the ball rolling;

1) to check your oil on the right hand side and the bottom of the fairing there will be a little see through window, this is your oil level, make sure it never gets to low (unvisible when looking), also you will need to lean the bike upright to be able to check it properly (oil level) so its best to get a friend to hold the bike upright while you look, I know I have an interesting time trying to bend down and hold the bike straight at the same time! As for oil changes keep it to every 5,000km max! and take it in, but in the mean time you can keep the oil topped up by always checking the 'oil' window and topping it up as need be, never fill it over the window though!!
(hope this isnt confusing)

2) Best alarm IMO (http://www.mongoose.com.au/product.act?ProductID=64) Remote start and everything you could need imobiliser etc! You can purchase them from any Motorbike shop like Red Baron/Mt Eden/AMPS etc, they can also do the fitting but its normally in the $150 bracket, I will install the alarm if you purchase it free of charge, Took me a while to install mine but when you figure it out it takes a few minutes 30mins MAX!

3) Radar Detector, this is a hard one - I will leave this open to the others, I know that the top of the line ones like Valentino 1 cost a crap load, and are abit large for bikes, I just got a cheapo Rockey Mountain Something or rather for 200$ it works fine, just doesnt give you the biggest warning, I know there are some radar detectors that are vary well suited to motorbikes (have a headphone out) But I havent experienced them sorry I cant help you much in this area :(

4) Paint, now thats a question - well on average you will be looking at a round figure of 1000$ with all prep work, there is a guy that sells custom job vouchers on Trademe, I'm sure wild cat used him and was only charged 700$, so he would be the one to ask, then you will want a signwriter to build up the Decals so that will be another 200$ or so, its a pricey business I tell you, Sorry not really that helpfull but I try :P

I have a digital manual if you want me to send you a copy on disk?

wildcat_lgf
23rd May 2005, 12:38
Got yourself a rather nice kitted out bike eh?...

At the current rate I think the luckiest ZXR250 on this site has being wildcat's, all the others have being in the wars sadly...

There is alot of ZXR's on this site, need to organise another newbie ride I think so I can see that yellow beast in person wildcat

p.s any luck with those clutch plates wildcat? :yes:

Cheers for that John, although yours sounds like a bit of a demon in disguise :D We have to organise a SUNDAY ride so I can make it...alternatively I'm planning to be at the BRONZ training day June 19thish?

Yeah I've been flat out organising these leathers, etc so haven't put them in yet...might try and do it this afternoon (or I might just ride it while the weathers' good? :msn-wink: ) and do it when the weather is bad?

John
23rd May 2005, 12:46
Cheers for that John, although yours sounds like a bit of a demon in disguise :D We have to organise a SUNDAY ride so I can make it...alternatively I'm planning to be at the BRONZ training day June 19thish?

Yeah I've been flat out organising these leathers, etc so haven't put them in yet...might try and do it this afternoon (or I might just ride it while the weathers' good? :msn-wink: ) and do it when the weather is bad?
Ah, as long as you dont kill her I dont mind, We will sort out a nice slow ride for all the newbies soonish after the winter rush has settled abit, everyone seems to be flat out :(, You did get some yellow leathers for yourself didnt you? I think I'm already jealous :D

placidfemme
23rd May 2005, 12:49
2) Best alarm IMO (http://www.mongoose.com.au/product.act?ProductID=64) Remote start and everything you could need imobiliser etc! You can purchase them from any Motorbike shop like Red Baron/Mt Eden/AMPS etc, they can also do the fitting but its normally in the $150 bracket, I will install the alarm if you purchase it free of charge, Took me a while to install mine but when you figure it out it takes a few minutes 30mins MAX!

3) Radar Detector, this is a hard one - I will leave this open to the others, I know that the top of the line ones like Valentino 1 cost a crap load, and are abit large for bikes, I just got a cheapo Rockey Mountain Something or rather for 200$ it works fine, just doesnt give you the biggest warning, I know there are some radar detectors that are vary well suited to motorbikes (have a headphone out) But I havent experienced them sorry I cant help you much in this area :(

4) Paint, now thats a question - well on average you will be looking at a round figure of 1000$ with all prep work, there is a guy that sells custom job vouchers on Trademe, I'm sure wild cat used him and was only charged 700$, so he would be the one to ask, then you will want a signwriter to build up the Decals so that will be another 200$ or so, its a pricey business I tell you, Sorry not really that helpfull but I try :P

I have a digital manual if you want me to send you a copy on disk?

Cool thank you :ride: I'll call Red Baron (I try to be loyal) and ask them if they sell that alarm, if so I'll deffinatly take you up on your offer to install it :) thanks for that.

As for the Radar Detector.. I've seen a few for sale on TradeMe but none specific to bikes... I don't really need one because with my L-oser plate I tend to "try" and ride at the legal speed... So that can hold off for now seeing the price of it... lol

the paint job is again a little pricey for now but keep an open mind about it (really want to make it all black), as for the Manual, sure I'd love a copy if you wouldn't mind, I'll PM you my postal details are once I've spoken with Red Baron maybe I could pick it up when it's convienient (sp) for you to install the alarm thingy :rockon:

John
23rd May 2005, 12:51
Cool thank you :ride: I'll call Red Baron (I try to be loyal) and ask them if they sell that alarm, if so I'll deffinatly take you up on your offer to install it :) thanks for that.

As for the Radar Detector.. I've seen a few for sale on TradeMe but none specific to bikes... I don't really need one because with my L-oser plate I tend to "try" and ride at the legal speed... So that can hold off for now seeing the price of it... lol

the paint job is again a little pricey for now but keep an open mind about it (really want to make it all black), as for the Manual, sure I'd love a copy if you wouldn't mind, I'll PM you my postal details are once I've spoken with Red Baron maybe I could pick it up when it's convienient (sp) for you to install the alarm thingy :rockon:
Yup sounds good - I'm free every weekend and hopefully should have the bike back this week so keep me posted on the alarm, and I'll pootle down and install it for ya!

placidfemme
23rd May 2005, 12:53
Awesome... Um... I don't have any tools, so if you let me know what you might need and I'll see if I can organise them...

*needs a lot to do with bikes lol*

John
23rd May 2005, 12:58
Awesome... Um... I don't have any tools, so if you let me know what you might need and I'll see if I can organise them...

*needs a lot to do with bikes lol*
Nah thats fine, I will bring down mine - only need a few I'll just throw them on the packrack, hows that for service :lol:

placidfemme
23rd May 2005, 12:59

Just called up Red Baron, they don't stock them anymore, but can order one for $279.00

I'll call up the other shops you mentioned and Motomail to see if I can track one down cheaper...

John
23rd May 2005, 13:04
Just called up Red Baron, they don't stock them anymore, but can order one for $279.00

I'll call up the other shops you mentioned and Motomail to see if I can track one down cheaper...
Yea, sorry I dont know how much mine was - I got mine for free with the bike when I bought it from red-baron, there maybe some cheaper options avalible - so just ask if they have other ones that would suit your bike, some cheap ones on trademe, dont know how good they are - I simply love the Mongoose myself...

placidfemme
23rd May 2005, 13:12
Yea, sorry I dont know how much mine was - I got mine for free with the bike when I bought it from red-baron, there maybe some cheaper options avalible - so just ask if they have other ones that would suit your bike, some cheap ones on trademe, dont know how good they are - I simply love the Mongoose myself...

Just called up Mt Eden Motorcycles...

They said the Mongoose would cost about $300+ for the alarm and an extra $200+ for installation

He also told me that the Mongoose is tempermental and originally made for cars, and depending on the make and model of the bike there may be many problems with installation and this might affect the way the alarm works..

He did recommend an alarm called "Gorilla" which costs $199 and including installation comes to about $325. It's just a basic alarm with a cut out switch where only the installer and owner know about... and they have these in stock...

I'll try Motomail now...

[Edit] Motomail sells the Mongoose Striker for $299

John
23rd May 2005, 13:24
Just called up Mt Eden Motorcycles...

They said the Mongoose would cost about $300+ for the alarm and an extra $200+ for installation

He also told me that the Mongoose is tempermental and originally made for cars, and depending on the make and model of the bike there may be many problems with installation and this might affect the way the alarm works..

He did recommend an alarm called "Gorilla" which costs $199 and including installation comes to about $325. It's just a basic alarm with a cut out switch where only the installer and owner know about... and they have these in stock...

I'll try Motomail now...

[Edit] Motomail sells the Mongoose Striker for $299
Its up to you preferably you want something with an immobilisor and tilt sensor - I havent had any problems with my alarm - remote start works and such I sealed mine in RTV so no water gets in, but if the cheaper ones an option then go for it :) - I'll still do the install for you..

placidfemme
23rd May 2005, 13:35
I just noticed you lived in Whangarei... I'm on the North Shore in Auckland... Can still make a plan though I'm sure...

John
23rd May 2005, 13:37
I just noticed you lived in Whangarei... I'm on the North Shore in Auckland... Can still make a plan though I'm sure...
Yea thats fine, I come to auckland pretty much every weekend - no problem at all.

placidfemme
23rd May 2005, 13:50
Sweet, well at the moment I'm looking at the Gorilla because of the price range... but I will keep you posted.

John
23rd May 2005, 13:52
Cool drop me a PM when you have it sorted - I saw an ultra cheapie on trademe if that helps, good luck!

Jonty
23rd May 2005, 14:08

Yup, I own a black ZXR250A that goes like a dream. Not many mods on it as I am saving for my new CBR600F (I know I am going to buy a Honda). Not really sure why you would want to pore too much money into a 250 especially an old one if you are not intending to keep it forever. Still be interested to hear what security devices are avialable out there :Punk:

placidfemme
23rd May 2005, 14:19
Cool drop me a PM when you have it sorted - I saw an ultra cheapie on trademe if that helps, good luck!

Sweet, whats it called, I'll have a look and place a bid on it...

John
23rd May 2005, 14:21
Sweet, whats it called, I'll have a look and place a bid on it...
Dont know what the reserve is but heres the link:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Other/auction-27567957.htm

Good luck, make sure it has a wiring diagram for me :msn-wink:!

placidfemme
23rd May 2005, 14:40
Dont know what the reserve is but heres the link:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Other/auction-27567957.htm

Good luck, make sure it has a wiring diagram for me :msn-wink:!

ah yes, I was looking at that one:

You said it comes with installation instruction, would this need to be done professionally or can one do it on thier own at home? posted by: torti (25 ) 8:14 am, Thu 19 May
Hello, It is designed for people to do at home with some basic electrical knowledge i.e you know that the + sign is the positive on the battery.Cheers

Torti = Me

I'll ask if it comes with detailed wiring instructions

John
23rd May 2005, 14:49
ah yes, I was looking at that one:

You said it comes with installation instruction, would this need to be done professionally or can one do it on thier own at home? posted by: torti (25 ) 8:14 am, Thu 19 May
Hello, It is designed for people to do at home with some basic electrical knowledge i.e you know that the + sign is the positive on the battery.Cheers

Torti = Me

I'll ask if it comes with detailed wiring instructions
Yea it should do in theory wont be a biggy if it doesnt - alarms are incredibly simple to install its simply a case of latching onto the ignition junction and its done..

N4CR
23rd May 2005, 16:18
I got a 91 C as well... just finished cleaning and waxing the bugger :ride:

Got softer front pads (brand new carbs installed after they crapped out under warranty), straight thru 'rungi' 0% bullcrap-in-the-way exhaust system (head turner :D) blue neon under the rear seat and it has been rebored out to 8700cc, turbo charged, flashing leds, laser cannon alarm system and some 28" chromes.

John
23rd May 2005, 16:19
I got a 91 C as well... just finished cleaning and waxing the bugger :ride:

Got softer front pads (brand new carbs installed after they crapped out under warranty), straight thru 'rungi' 0% bullcrap-in-the-way exhaust system (head turner :D) blue neon under the rear seat and it has been rebored out to 8700cc, turbo charged, flashing leds, laser cannon alarm system and some 28" chromes.
Yours is purple though you fagnational.

N4CR
23rd May 2005, 16:24
Btw you at uni? I'm sure there is a black zxr250 there sometimes (might be a 89 though... can't remember). I park next to the other blue white zxr :D

John
23rd May 2005, 16:29
Btw you at uni? I'm sure there is a black zxr250 there sometimes (might be a 89 though... can't remember). I park next to the other blue white zxr I MUST LEARN THE QUOTE BUTTON:D
fuck up homo, I havent even got my bike back - fucken team ART representing.

I'd have HRT and MOTUL and NISMO and HKS stickers everywhere If I was there...

N4CR
23rd May 2005, 23:04
HRT LOL more like VTEC TYPE RR. HRT is for old people.
MUGEN might be good, as long as it revs over 9000rpm it can be displayed.
HKS is also good but you need a 'fake turbo sound' exhaust pipe insert.
GTR is needed because of 4 engine cylinders and umm 2 front forks which could be cylinders. This means ZXR's are actually Inline 6s and therefore GT-R NISMO.
We can also get 30 more hp by getting a huge 'TUNEDZ BY DARKZ RIDERZ IMPORTZ TUNERZ RACERZ GHOSTZ'

And my bike is not purple you queer, I bet you wish it was as a 'gheyed out' zxr - your ultimate fantasy. :nono:

g34l
25th May 2005, 20:17
i have a 1990 a. although pretty old,but works quite perfectly! nice bikes

NordieBoy
25th May 2005, 21:25
Not quite a ZXR250 but an XR250Z must be close :D

John
25th May 2005, 21:27
Not quite a ZXR250 but an XR250Z must be close :D
Sorry to steal topic,

But how does the XRZ go? bloody nice looking feeker - wouldnt mind one ..

SPORK
25th May 2005, 22:26
Can I join as an honourary member? I love ZXRs I do... my precious... loves them we does..

John
25th May 2005, 22:30
Can I join as an honourary member? I love ZXRs I do... my precious... loves them we does..
You can piss off and buy a honda...

Nah kawasaki owners are considerate of others your welcome to stay..

N4CR
26th May 2005, 00:10
You can piss off and buy a honda...

Nah kawasaki owners are considerate of others your welcome to stay..

ROFL!

So true... we love most things and most people. We also love small furry animals too.

Just get a pedal bike (I hope you have one atleast..?) and buy some cardboard/tubes etc and do it that way.

Then you might even be able to meet with us in carparks and hangout before we go for rides! :msn-wink:

placidfemme
26th May 2005, 07:46
ROFL!

So true... we love most things and most people. We also love small furry animals too.

Just get a pedal bike (I hope you have one atleast..?) and buy some cardboard/tubes etc and do it that way.

Then you might even be able to meet with us in carparks and hangout before we go for rides! :msn-wink:

LMAO :killingme

ZXR's rock, I don't mind Honda CBR's but really I think they don't even compare to the ZXR's in style and performance... well they proberly do... but I'll always deny it :ride:

N4CR
26th May 2005, 12:24
I found the cbrrrrrs to 'easy' and not enough animal underneath sorta thing.. zxr's feel like a steeper learning curve for me. Poor cbr owners should be forced to try zxr before deciding :D

placidfemme
26th May 2005, 12:36
CBR's are more common though arn't they? I've seen a hell of a lot more CBR's than ZXR's, and half the ZXR's I have seen are 400's not 250's lol

Its nice having a bike that not every tom, dick and harry has as well :D

Did you see the new paint job on Johns bike? I'm so jealous

John
26th May 2005, 16:30
I think its because honda produced them longer? and they seem to be the most popular grey import in australia - personally I rode one, they dont have the 'animal' that the ZXR has, I havent had a race with one but I would expect that the ZXR would be alot more interested in top end and midrange.. not sure, I only had a quick pootle on a 92' wasnt that impressed.. but thats me.

Btw is it just me or does the ZXR look alot like a bigger bike, and alot more 'angry' dunno... turns me on though..

Thanks for the props about the bike :)

Suney
26th May 2005, 18:19
I totally agree with you John
The ZXR looks bigger and more aggressive with it's single headlight and taillight except its yo mama that turns me on, not the zxr:devil2: :D

Ben O
26th May 2005, 20:08
Hey,
Just bought my first bike, it's an 89 A model.
Pretty standard by the looks of it, although I think the engine's on the way out. What would I expect to pay for a new engine? Are they easy to find?

RPM91
26th May 2005, 21:50
try http://www.gpmotorcycles.co.nz/home.htm, they may have a motor for about an estimate of $600+ as they have wrecked a few zxrs before, or try http://www.motorcyclesnz.co.nz also. You could possibly get the bike checked out and it might be cheaper getting new pistons and rings than getting a complete new engine, hope this helps

rpm91

N4CR
26th May 2005, 22:02
Welcome to the site Ben!
Can be totally random at times so beware of the random people.. like John and Myself... (we want your fluffy animals to make our bikes go faster).

Upwards of $400 or so for an older engine.. ring the local wreckers!

R6_kid
26th May 2005, 22:37
i got me a 1990 A model. Street fighered (homemade custom :niceone: )

will possibly back to normal spec fairing wise before i sell it but i'll see, i like it the way it is :devil2:

John
27th May 2005, 05:40
Hey,
Pretty standard by the looks of it, although I think the engine's on the way out. What would I expect to pay for a new engine? Are they easy to find?
800$ for a decent ZXR400 one :) think buckets have one www.motorcyclesnz.co.nz

Man I'm cheeky..

placidfemme
27th May 2005, 07:13
Yeah the ZXR's do look bigger. I've noticed that mine looks even bigger with a pack rack on it... but I prefer the look without the packrack... gives the wind a little extra something to grab onto lol

Simon A
27th May 2005, 11:15
Implants and botox lol
Quater Turn Throttle

Where did you get this from? I've been quite keen to try one. I always find it quite hard to get full throttle in one wrist movement.

Jonty
27th May 2005, 11:55
Hey,

Hi Ben welcome

When I bought mine from TSS Lower Hutt they mentioned that they had an engine out back. I would recommend giving them a call - it is not a big process to switch them over.

placidfemme
27th May 2005, 12:43
Where did you get this from? I've been quite keen to try one. I always find it quite hard to get full throttle in one wrist movement.

you can get any bike shop to install one for you... I brought my bike with the quarter turn throttle... I believe they are mostly for racing and for dirt bikes. The quarter turn is a little bit of a pain in slower traffic. But does make it easier on the wrist.

Just give any bike shop a call and enquire about the price.

Ben O
27th May 2005, 13:47
Hey thanks everyone,
I've been looking for a while and found nothing, so that's really good to know. The compression was down when I bought it, should have had it checked i know, but it was cheapish. It has been fixed for now, but apparently this is the last time they can fix it without major work. It should get me through my learners at least as it is.

250learna
27th May 2005, 19:30
800$ for a decent ZXR400 one :) think buckets have one www.motorcyclesnz.co.nz

Man I'm cheeky..

can it fit? :devil2: Has it been done?

I got me a zxr a model, its an 89...got a lil over 53k on the clock :confused: but compression is fine across the board and goes fine. :ride:

John
27th May 2005, 19:34
can it fit? :devil2: Has it been done?

I got me a zxr a model, its an 89...got a lil over 53k on the clock :confused: but compression is fine across the board and goes fine. :ride:
Yup you shouldnt have any problems at all - same carbs - need jetting etc - make sure you know what your doing before you attempt to do it though I dont know, But from my reasearch its pretty much a slot in job, I'm doing it to mine after I ditch this engine!

250learna
30th May 2005, 00:20
Yup you shouldnt have any problems at all - same carbs - need jetting etc - make sure you know what your doing before you attempt to do it though I dont know, But from my reasearch its pretty much a slot in job, I'm doing it to mine after I ditch this engine!

my friends boyfriend is a mechanic and works on bikes as well as cars, he was gona do a turbo conversion for my levin, but i decided to get the zxr instead. think he will be able to do it for a fair price... only if the one in the bike dies tho (53k but running well) :ride:

Coyote
30th May 2005, 08:57
my friends boyfriend is a mechanic and works on bikes as well as cars, he was gona do a turbo conversion for my levin, but i decided to get the zxr instead. think he will be able to do it for a fair price... only if the one in the bike dies tho (53k but running well) :ride:
Hey, could you ask this guy how much a Turbo Conversion would cost for a 250? Also ask if he does Nitrous

N4CR
30th May 2005, 11:26
Hey, could you ask this guy how much a Turbo Conversion would cost for a 250? Also ask if he does Nitrous

With them amount of maintenance needed the cost would out weigh the benefit... unless you were in some single bike turbo 250 racing class etc.
It would be a nightmare to run :/

As a guess I would say you are looking at about $4000 or more.. why not just drop a 400cc motor in (if you were blessed with the coolness a zxr can give you :P)

250learna
30th May 2005, 12:03
turbo on the zxr250 :rofl:
it would have cost me bout 4 for the car, and that i would like to do but at this stage id rather sell the levin and get a cleo sport (i know a guy who knows a guy who can get em at dealers cost) they are small and great cornering, only other car that i recal being so graceful in corners is a porche boxter

Jonty
30th May 2005, 12:10
With them amount of maintenance needed the cost would out weigh the benefit... unless you were in some single bike turbo 250 racing class etc.
It would be a nightmare to run :/

As a guess I would say you are looking at about $4000 or more.. why not just drop a 400cc motor in (if you were blessed with the coolness a zxr can give you :P)

How in the world would you ever turbo a zxr250? Surley the 5c coin sized valves and friggen tiny cylinders would mean any decent boost pressure would send the piston across two or three lanes of traffic?

Coyote
30th May 2005, 13:42
But not as cool as a Ducati CBR426F K5 Ninja F4 Super Corsa!!!!!!!

How easy is it to get a 400 motor in? Are the 250 and 400 practically the same except for capacity?

John
30th May 2005, 15:47
Screw off with your CIBBER.

Yes they are pretty much Idetical, may need work of the engine mounts but I doubt it - I will be doing it at the end of the year - will only need to throw in larger jets in the carbs and a new CDI and you have some 400hundy loving.

As for this turbo shit - shut up dont even think about it - its beyond you (not being sad, But its true) if you want to get a decent gain in HP fuel inject it - you will get more reliable preformance and be pumping out the same if not more power than a 400.

250learna
30th May 2005, 16:08

Yes they are pretty much Idetical, may need work of the engine mounts but I doubt it - I will be doing it at the end of the year - will only need to throw in larger jets in the carbs and a new CDI and you have some 400hundy loving.

As for this turbo shit - shut up dont even think about it - its beyond you (not being sad, But its true) if you want to get a decent gain in HP fuel inject it - you will get more reliable preformance and be pumping out the same if not more power than a 400.

what do you think my odds are getting away with it as a 250 during warrant time? :no:

John
30th May 2005, 16:12
what do you think my odds are getting away with it as a 250 during warrant time? :no:

They dont check engine numbers very often :devil2: but anyway - just take it to a bike shop - they will let it slide :yes: just explain it to them.

SPORK
30th May 2005, 16:49
I can't wait untill you do it, it will rule! A ghost ZXR... Mwaughaha

Coyote
30th May 2005, 17:58

I don't actually see the point in Brand rivalries. If I ZXR came along before the CBR, I would've brought it. They're both as good as each other

You have the better bike of course, with its blinged fairings. I've got no fairings, no brakes and a rather large dent in the tank that's beginning to rust. It was such a nice bike when I brought it. Sorry Her_B4

And of course the whole idea of a turbo and shit is way beyond me, at least at the moment. Maybe when I've done my course at Vic uni and might give it a go on my Litre bike I have at the time

Also I can't mod the bike if I wish to continue racing it anyway

John
30th May 2005, 18:27
I don't actually see the point in Brand rivalries. If I ZXR came along before the CBR, I would've brought it. They're both as good as each other

You have the better bike of course, with its blinged fairings. I've got no fairings, no brakes and a rather large dent in the tank that's beginning to rust. It was such a nice bike when I brought it. Sorry Her_B4

And of course the whole idea of a turbo and shit is way beyond me, at least at the moment. Maybe when I've done my course at Vic uni and might give it a go on my Litre bike I have at the time

Also I can't mod the bike if I wish to continue racing it anyway
I was kidding O_O

250learna
30th May 2005, 18:38

yeah i just liked the look of a zxr better than a cbr, mind you cbr250rr is realy nice too, but then thats zxr250c's competition and i recon zxr takes it again... just. Alot harder to decide based on look with the new ones.
My bike was in the right place at the right time...if it was a cbr, id be a honda suporter now :whistle:

N4CR
30th May 2005, 20:25
Turbo'd 250's have been done before. Honda apparently made a cbr 250rrrrrrrr(XJWXY whatever it was) and it had about 92hp at the crank, very rare and I doubt if you would ever see one in NZ anyway ;)

Hell I have seen turb'd 50cc scooters. By the time they make enough exhaust to spin it up they are at top speed anyway so its sorta useless, they also have turbo charged RC planes.. they are about 25~cc or so (from memory) and have specially made turbos for them.

So don't think it aint possible... my lawnmower could be turbo one day :love:

John
30th May 2005, 20:59
Turbo'd 250's have been done before. Honda apparently made a cbr 250rrrrrrrr(XJWXY whatever it was) and it had about 92hp at the crank, very rare and I doubt if you would ever see one in NZ anyway ;)

Yea man, I dragged that CBR and I won :oi-grr:

Suney
30th May 2005, 21:31

Hell I have seen turb'd 50cc scooters. By the time they make enough exhaust to spin it up they are at top speed anyway so its sorta useless, they also have turbo charged RC planes.. they are about 25~cc or so (from memory) and have specially made turbos for them.

So don't think it aint possible... my lawnmower could be turbo one day :love:
ya i think i saw it too...in my dreams :yes:

John
30th May 2005, 21:32
ya i think i saw it too...in my dreams :yes:
You dream about gays?

Suney
30th May 2005, 21:43
You dream about gays?
Only you sweetie.. :love: :love:

John
30th May 2005, 21:55
Oh it turns me on so much, but be wary of wandering purple bike man as he may take sport in jealousy and make damage to your wheel spoke

R6_kid
30th May 2005, 22:09
on the topic of turbos.... there was a rumour of a guy turbo-ing a zxr250. As far as i can remember he got about 10-20 extra hp. But the engine only lasted about 70-90km with the added pressure before it completely shat itself resulting in the need for a completely new engine.

Money wise i think it cost about $5000 but is it really worth it for bling value
(sees alarumba nodding vigourously :rofl: )

John
30th May 2005, 22:20
If you want to spend that much then get a 600cc bike, or FUEL INJECT IT goto the wreckers get some fuel jets fuel rail and fuel pump and do some timing and shit and boya. It is abit harder but it wont kill your bike - imagine it would be a bitch to cold start but you could fix that easy I supose.

Suney
30th May 2005, 22:21
There was a video of a R1 turbo,
Wheelied every gearchange when he wasn't even revving hard. Sounded quite cool with the whistling turbo.

John
30th May 2005, 22:22
There was a video of a R1 turbo,
Wheelied every gearchange when he wasn't even revving hard. Sounded quite cool with the whistling turbo.
everyone turbos big bikes, the real coolness is turboing the little ones O_O

Suney
30th May 2005, 22:28
Are you into little things? o_o

SPORK
30th May 2005, 22:29
...and surviving

John
30th May 2005, 23:06
Are you into little things? o_o
Yea your abit below the threash hold - abit to small but I wont tell anyone dont worry

250learna
31st May 2005, 01:37
perhaps a supercharger to give them a bit more grunt through the low and middle range :whistle:

Coyote
31st May 2005, 18:38
yeah i just liked the look of a zxr better than a cbr, mind you cbr250rr is realy nice too, but then thats zxr250c's competition and i recon zxr takes it again... just. Alot harder to decide based on look with the new ones.
My bike was in the right place at the right time...if it was a cbr, id be a honda suporter now :whistle:
I agree with ya. The ZXR does look better. I don't like the CBRs big bulbous screen. Also got rid of those fake ram air intakes as they were shite. Allthough I saw the ZXR at Motomart and the plastics had aged on it pretty bad and it looked like crap aswell

I really need to know how to work with fibreglass. I can make my own fairing, then be able to repair it after the constant abuse to it. Also I can get creative with the fairing, want something stealth fighter lookin

And yes I was nodding Gareth :-p

Phenoix
31st May 2005, 20:41
I got an A model.
Was going sweet, but my mate came off it.
So a bit of damage, Still I really like ZXR, they have more power in the high revs :Punk:

burnt_52
31st May 2005, 23:43
I hav a '91 Balius. It is a naked sports tourer and has the ZXR250/C motor in it but is slightly detuned to give torque but slightly less hp.

I havent been able to do any modz yet as its been in the shop since i bought it, getting clutch done on Wedz next week and it should b finished :D

That idea of putting the 400cc motor in sounds good, wats the price and difficulty difference of injecting the 250 and installing a 400??

Does the putting in a 400cc motor or modding a 250 give you the best hp return for your $$?

I am replacing the exhaust anyway cos the current one sounds like sh*t and is too restrictive

250learna
1st June 2005, 00:12
I hav a '91 Balius. It is a naked sports tourer and has the ZXR250/C motor in it but is slightly detuned to give torque but slightly less hp.

I havent been able to do any modz yet as its been in the shop since i bought it, getting clutch done on Wedz next week and it should b finished :D

That idea of putting the 400cc motor in sounds good, wats the price and difficulty difference of injecting the 250 and installing a 400??

Does the putting in a 400cc motor or modding a 250 give you the best hp return for your $$?

I am replacing the exhaust anyway cos the current one sounds like sh*t and is too restrictive

if you cange exhaust for something less restrictive you are likely to get a bit more up top but loose some low and midrange. But once the revs go up you should notice the difference.
And i think a 400 whould be a lot better option, as you are still able to mod the 400 at later dat to get even more gains.

burnt_52
1st June 2005, 00:19
if you cange exhaust for something less restrictive you are likely to get a bit more up top but loose some low and midrange. But once the revs go up you should notice the difference.
And i think a 400 whould be a lot better option, as you are still able to mod the 400 at later dat to get even more gains.

How much is a good 400 motor worth? Do they come available very often? I did a google and searched trademe in NZ but didnt find anything.

I assume the Balius has the same mounts and dimensions as a zxr250, but being naked should be more accesible.

I know there is a dude in the North Island who does after market exhausts that are meant to be pretty good, but cant remember his name,can anyone remind me please?

Anyone know of a good shadow chromer?

LETHAL
22nd March 2006, 14:43

Hi was wondering how I know if mine is A or C? I just picked it up today, 1990 zxr250, its my first bike!! :baby:

JT.
24th March 2006, 15:16
Hi was wondering how I know if mine is A or C? I just picked it up today, 1990 zxr250, its my first bike!! :baby:

You can tell by the lights, does it have one sheild with the 2 lights behind it or the 2 lights seperate side by side.

As for the differences... have a read of this. There's a bit of debate about the weight though. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=13574

LETHAL
25th March 2006, 11:13
Its got two headlights, seperate from each other, side by side. Would I be right in assuming its zxr250a?

Potzman
25th March 2006, 13:43
Yep, sounds like an A model mate:done:

LETHAL
25th March 2006, 13:54
awesome, thanks for the help, much appreciated!!

Whynot
3rd May 2006, 22:19
guess i better sign the register ..... C model here, piccy in profile :D

R6_kid
5th May 2006, 20:22
i used to own one, pimped as hell. Fucking own all of you newb ZXR riders. Got a dope C in my driveway now, sitting in awe of my mother fucking killer R6. Good bikes, if you got the balls to ride at full throttle, aye N4CR you gay.

N4CR
5th May 2006, 21:09
ZXR'S ARE THE SHIZ TBH, RIDDEN MOST OF THE 250'S APART FROM FZR AND THIS ONE FELT THE BEST. CANT TOUCH A PROPERLY SET UP ZXR UNLESS YOU GOT AN RGV/NSR ETC GP RACEY BIKE. THEY HAVE UBER SUSPENSION SETTINGS, EVEN THE 400 C MODEL LOOKING ZXR DON'T HAVE THE SAME OPTIONS, I THINK SP DOES THOUGH AND MAAAABEY THE LATER MODELS BUT THE 93-4 L DIDN'T ANYWAY.

FUCK OFF GARETH YOUR BIKE WAS GAY COMPARED TO MINE (CHECK MY AWESOME PROFLIE POSING PIC I LOOK FUCKIN HOT), BESIDES ONLY TRUE RIDERS RIDE ZXR250'S, YOU OTHER FAGS CAN ALL GO RIDE YOUR GAY OTHER BIKES.

I'M GOING TO PROBABLY END UP KEEPING MINE UNLESS I GET A NUTTY OFFER ONCE IT'S DONE, WHEN I GET ANOTHER BIKE, I LIKE IT HAT MUCH COMPARED TO EVERYTHIGN ELSE I RIDDEN. POWER DOESN'T DO IT FOR ME. A SLIGHTLY NOISY CAM CHAIN AND A SCREAMING REV RANGE DOES IT FOR ME, DROPPING IT IN TO EVERY CORNER ASIF IT'S AN EXTENSION OF YOUR LEGS DOES IT THOUGH. THE CORRO LOOP TWISTIES/ANYTHING UNDER 140K IS WHAT THIS BIKE IS MADE FOR, MEAN SHIT. MOST FUN YOU WILL HAVE.

LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY ZXR250c

edit: GARETH who's C is that you prick... should do a rice run sometime.... ;)

Merwood
5th May 2006, 23:06
edit: GARETH who's C is that you prick... should do a rice run sometime....

THATS MY 1337 C, ITS PWNS TEH R6 GARETH, IS JUST TO SCARED TO REALISE THE TRUTH !, MY HORN IS EVEN LOUDER THAN HIS :yes:. HE WAS AFRAID TO COME RIDING TONIGHT BECAUSE THERE WAS WATER ON THE ROAD, I THINK THIS MADE HIM UNEASY. ZXR'S ARE DOPE BIKES..........AND THEY LOOK COOL :blip:.

texmo
6th May 2006, 01:12
(CHECK MY AWESOME PROFLIE POSING PIC I LOOK FUCKIN HOT)

Man I love your profile picture!!! I really like those nice shiny knee sliders.

poorbastard
6th May 2006, 04:55
got a c. althoug it seem so always be in bits

placidfemme
8th May 2006, 10:52
got a c. althoug it seem so always be in bits

eh like mine at the moment :( At least its running now... just need to pop all the parts back onto it

NC
8th May 2006, 10:54
eh like mine at the moment :( At least its running now... just need to pop all the parts back onto it
streetfighter it!

placidfemme
8th May 2006, 10:58
streetfighter it!

I thought about that, and it has got mean looking gold forks on it... but I know that I can get it back to the same condition, if not better in under two months...

Ordering the front faring today, getting new instruments this week too hopefully... then just need to put all the farings and other bits back on, get it painted, get insurance, re-register it and all is good to go :)