PDA

View Full Version : Sandblast or Sandpaper

Quasievil
23rd May 2005, 11:37
I binned the racebike on the track on Saturday and the side of it is scratched heaps, I want to get it all in one color so touch ups are easy.
Currently the bike has plastic fairings and lots of transfers on it, original Suzuki ones, I would like to find out the best way to strip all this paint and stuff of , based on the experience of you guys.
Advise appreciated

Cheers

dss3
23rd May 2005, 12:02
I binned the racebike on the track on Saturday and the side of it is scratched heaps, I want to get it all in one color so touch ups are easy.
Currently the bike has plastic fairings and lots of transfers on it, original Suzuki ones, I would like to find out the best way to strip all this paint and stuff of , based on the experience of you guys.
Advise appreciated

Cheers

This is what I did when I painted my bike. Yes it did look beautiful and new once apon a time.

First peel off any stickers that you can. Gentle heating with your hairdryer (haha yeah right, might have to borrow one of the fembots!) and also wax and grease remeover will get the majority of the stickers off. I had a couple of stubborn ones that I ended up sanding off.

Next comes the fun part... sanding sanding sanding. Not really any short cuts here. Just get some sandpaper (I got heaps at work, gimme a yell) and sit down and start sanding away. I started with a rougher grade, and then finished off with a fine grade.

Being a race bike i'm sure your not after perfection so doesn't matter if there are still a few dents/scratches in the fairings. Besides the primer/paint will fill many of these in.

Once you have it nice and smooth you are ready to paint. When I did the TL I got all the proper paint. Starting with a plastic primer which stops paint from cracking as plastic fairings flex. Then once you have done a coat of that you can apply top coat colour. Then finally a clear coat or two to make it nice and shiny.

Again because I know it's for your race bike you may just wanna go a bit basic with the paint.

Gimme a yell if you need anything. We have a spray booth at work, hence sandpaper, spray guns and lots of left over paint!

When I get my 400 I will try and get some race fairings and paint them up myself as well....

_daryl

Quasievil
23rd May 2005, 12:05
Hey thanks mate thats the shit i need cheers

Racey Rider
23rd May 2005, 12:53
First peel off any stickers that you can. Gentle heating with your hairdryer (haha yeah right, might have to borrow one of the fembots!) and also wax and grease remeover will get the majority of the stickers off. I had a couple of stubborn ones that I ended up sanding off.
Lazy Bastards Tip #476

Go inside with dirty greasy hands and ask for the hair dryer.
She'll say "Your not touching My hair dryer with those grubby hands"!

To which you responed,
"Then could you just take it outside and take that ONE sticker off the bike for me?" "Thanks Love!":love:

Now Timing is important here!
Not to soon,, but Just Before she has finished removing the first sticker, you say,
"and perhaps that one too!"

Then later "and that one."

"and all these ones down this other side!" :yes:

Removing stickers can really be a pain in the arse.
But with the right Tone of voice,, and the right Timing,,,
Ya could just sit back, and Watch a bit of Arse!! :niceone:

PS. I normally charge for these tips,, But, thats a free one for ya! :msn-wink:

XP@
23rd May 2005, 23:30
I just waited until my oldest daughter had peed her mum off soo much that the hairdryer was removed from her room. then in the dead of night went to the hiding place and borrowed it...

a few days later i had to explain the "performance bike" sticker on the handle, but it worked :whistle:

later i tried to employ the kids to sand the fairings... somehow I don't think the bribes worked :no: even playing on the x-box was refused what is the world coming to?

I've nearly done all the sanding (well the pile of unsanded stuff is smaller than the sanded) just have to think about the paint now...

ManDownUnder
24th May 2005, 10:41
I preface all I am about to say with a warning of IGNORANCE - I know relatively little about this as I have no first hand experience... but...

Dipper strippers might (MIGHT) be an option, especially for the metal parts. They're cheap (ish) quick and the liquid gets into all nooks and crannies.

I'm reluctant to suggest it might work opn plastic bits (although it might - ring them). I'd expect them to be dissolved... but again - that's not based on anything I KNOW - just gut feel.

Maybe take along a smashed side cover or something from a wrecker to try first?

Who know it might save a lot of time/money... then again - it might not.

Not being a mechanical you'll likely need to sand back any scuffs etc afterwards anyways... so that could/would also detract from the benefits of it.

MDU

Torque
19th September 2005, 17:12
[QUOTE=Racey Rider]Lazy Bastards Tip #476

Go inside with dirty greasy hands and ask for the hair dryer.
She'll say [COLOR=Pink] "Your not touching My hair dryer with those grubby hands"!

Sounds like a great idea. I will get my swedish au-pair on the job as soon as she has finished blowing out my headers!!!

nudemetalz
19th September 2005, 18:57
Sounds like a great idea. I will get my swedish au-pair on the job as soon as she has finished blowing out my headers!!!

Blowing out your header ??
Mmmm,...wonder if can get my wife to sand back the VT fairing in a bikini....not efficient for both of us me thinks as I may be too distracted....