PDA

View Full Version : Survival Skills Forum?

XP@
23rd May 2005, 12:16
HI,

There are a lot of threads in the general category about skills and the like.
I suggest we create a forum specifically for this kind of thread.

The uk site www.visordown.co.uk has a really successful safety forum
http://www.visordown.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=11
However I am a kiwibiker, and here in NZ we have our own issues.

Would anyone else agree?

Skunk
23rd May 2005, 12:22
Would be a good place to have it all collected together too.

TonyB
23rd May 2005, 12:42
Yep good idea.
How about instead of a forum we have a link to a riding tips page? We all send in our thoughts to be put on the page, and then these are vetted by highly experienced and repected riders. After that they get posted. Lots of work, but it would cut the crap and ensure that only sensible advice was offered.

ManDownUnder
23rd May 2005, 12:48
Yup agreed.

having just taken a newbie under my wing I find I'm thinking through those things that are important/handy/good to know...

I think lesson one will be safety gear and familiarity with basic controls. Kinda handy to stop/get out of trouble when you need to.

Beyond that, we can move onto other stuff...

MDU

XP@
23rd May 2005, 12:50
Yep good idea.
How about instead of a forum we have a link to a riding tips page? We all send in our thoughts to be put on the page, and then these are vetted by highly experienced and repected riders. After that they get posted. Lots of work, but it would cut the crap and ensure that only sensible advice was offered.

But one of the main benefits of a forum would be the ability to ask a question in way you understand it, which is not always how it is presented in a FAQ

True, there would be crap offered, there is need to filter some of this.
A set of stickies could be a good way of offering a good set of tips distilled from conversations within the forum.

Skunk
23rd May 2005, 13:50
But one of the main benefits of a forum would be the ability to ask a question in way you understand it, which is not always how it is presented in a FAQ

True, there would be crap offered, there is need to filter some of this.
A set of stickies could be a good way of offering a good set of tips distilled from conversations within the forum.
All you need is a heavy handed moderator to remove and edit posts...

XP@
23rd May 2005, 15:21
All you need is a heavy handed moderator to remove and edit posts...
Any candidates?
Best would be an instructor :) The moderator of the visor down forum is an instructor (and I think he gets a fair chunk of business from it too!)

Skunk
23rd May 2005, 15:27
Any candidates?
Best would be an instructor :) The moderator of the visor down forum is an instructor (and I think he gets a fair chunk of business from it too!)
I wouldn't think you're need to be an instructor just to keep the crap out, just common sense. Though it wouldn't hurt.

You could keep crap to a minimum by not making it count towards the post count too. :killingme

TonyB
23rd May 2005, 15:30
Fair enough. Hadn't looked at it that way. Finding an instructor to moderate a forum is a good idea . Who though? I bet there's one lurking on KB somewhere.

XP@
23rd May 2005, 15:39
You could keep crap to a minimum by not making it count towards the post count too. :killingme
It should count to the post count because if you are making valuable contributions it will be an excellent place to do it.
Or maybe if you are looking for rep points then could that be an incentive to keep it clean.

ManDownUnder
23rd May 2005, 15:46
Fair enough. Hadn't looked at it that way. Finding an instructor to moderate a forum is a good idea . Who though? I bet there's one lurking on KB somewhere.

I'd quite like to see something along the lines of train the trained for some of us older/less excitable/experienced types so we're able to pass on that training and experience in a structured manner.

It's like trying to teach anything - you might be good at it (and I believe I AM a good and safe rider) but breaking it down into teachable chunks that are in a format most suitable to a newbie... that's a WHOLE OTHER SKILL.

I'd love to see a section added in here, possibly non editable with the various sections of training
1) Motor cycle controls
- identification and function of
- exercises to improve use of
- definitive tests for achievement
2) Safety gear
- minimums
- required for road
- required for offroad
- required for racing
3) Accidents
- some stats
- examples of outcomes for riders
- what to do if/when it happens
- how to avoid
- insurance related issues

... you get the idea.

I'll put the framework together from any input if/as needed. PM stuff through and I'll put together a document.

Like someone said though - anyone in here got a manual we can simply work from - experienced M/C trainers? Perhaps some of the bike cops?

I'd be willing to get skilled up and put something on every 3 months or so. Be nice to have an offsider to help etc...

MDU

Skunk
23rd May 2005, 15:53
It should count to the post count because if you are making valuable contributions it will be an excellent place to do it.
Or maybe if you are looking for rep points then could that be an incentive to keep it clean.
Good points. I find some post crap to up their 'score'.
I guess you're right though, maybe it should count towards the post count.

Skunk
23rd May 2005, 16:00
I'd love to see a section added in here, possibly non editable with the various sections of training
1) Motor cycle controls
2) Safety gear
3) Accidents
... you get the idea.

There's quite a bit of that at Rideforever (http://www.rideforever.co.nz/)

edit: note to self, don't sumbit before finishing...

The good thing about having as a forum is questions can be asked and answered.

SpankMe
23rd May 2005, 16:09
I'm looking at adding an articles section where members can submit their well written articles/tutorials/reviews/guides/reports to various categories. It will be separate from the forums.

Not sure when it will be ready yet.

XP@
23rd May 2005, 16:12
I'd quite like to see something along the lines of train the trained for some of us older/less excitable/experienced types so we're able to pass on that training and experience in a structured manner.

It's like trying to teach anything - you might be good at it (and I believe I AM a good and safe rider) but breaking it down into teachable chunks that are in a format most suitable to a newbie... that's a WHOLE OTHER SKILL.

1) Motor cycle controls
- identification and function of
- exercises to improve use of
- definitive tests for achievement
2) Safety gear
- minimums
- required for road
- required for offroad
- required for racing
3) Accidents
- some stats
- examples of outcomes for riders
- what to do if/when it happens
- how to avoid
- insurance related issues

... you get the idea.

I'll put the framework together from any input if/as needed. PM stuff through and I'll put together a document.

Like someone said though - anyone in here got a manual we can simply work from - experienced M/C trainers? Perhaps some of the bike cops?

I'd be willing to get skilled up and put something on every 3 months or so. Be nice to have an offsider to help etc...

MDU
How about a general skills forum, with sub forums controls, gear and accidents.
Then each forum can have stickies updated by moderator (or named user list) as and when they find time. The stickies would have subjects like your second level headings.

It would be nice to be able to start off with some knowledge maybe links. And also the ability to move some existing threads.

XP@
23rd May 2005, 16:23
There's quite a bit of that at Rideforever (http://www.rideforever.co.nz/)

edit: note to self, don't sumbit before finishing...

The good thing about having as a forum is questions can be asked and answered.
Yup, ride forever is a good resource, BUT it dosent answer back in the way we can here.

XP@
7th June 2005, 20:16
I decided to badger Spank Me again today, and lo-and behold we have a Survival forum :yes:

I will be moving some recent posts tonight to give it a kick start.

Spank me is also working on the Articles section where we can store publishable content.

Thanks to Spank Me for your hard work on the site :niceone: