PDA

View Full Version : K8 GSXR-600 Power and Torque

slofox
11th May 2010, 18:56
For some reason, Suzuki appear to be rather coy about power and torque figures for their bikes. Look as I might, I haven't been able to find such numbers for the K8 600 gixxer...you know the sort of thing I want....xlb/ft @ y rpm and z hp @ a rpm...

Sooooo. Does anyone have a spy within the organisation who has leaked these figures? 'Coz I for one would like to see 'em...always nice to know where the power band is...(mind you it's quite fun finding it by trial and error..:whistle:)

All contributions gratefully received and I am sure you will receive your reward in the next life - if not in this one...

Thanks people.

javawocky
11th May 2010, 19:11
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/232/431/Motorcycle-Article/2008-Suzuki-GSX-R600-Comparison.aspx

slofox
11th May 2010, 19:19
Hey thanks javawocky - you qualify for a 12.5% discount next time you buy a case of wine from me! :sunny:

sil3nt
11th May 2010, 19:32
From that article in case you didn't see
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/19420Supersport-HP.JPG
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/61285Supersport-Torque.JPG

javawocky
11th May 2010, 19:48
Hey thanks javawocky - you qualify for a 12.5% discount next time you buy a case of wine from me! :sunny:
Ha ha - I normally just drink a bottle at a time ;)

Just between you and me your Vixen prompted me to do some wondering myself. I road a GSXR600 k7 about a year ago, and although I wasn't overly impressed by the torque I was exceptionally impressed at how it handled. Re power though, I didn't give it anywhere near the stick it needs to get going as I road it in traffic.

I started comparing the specs - re power, weight to my SV1000 and was impressed by a few things. First, it almost 30kg's lighter than the SV. Second, it puts out more HP than the SV. Which means, when ridden hard - like on a track, the GSXR should be a serious weapon!

Problem is the SV has heaps of torque, which is an advantage when you are an average track day hero like myself, as it gives other average track day heros with fancy 600 sports bikes a fright as you power away or past them out of corners. Torque is also very therapeutic in traffic to quickly and effortlessly blast past a dork in a cage, or to maneuver out of trucks blind spot.

Most of my commuting is slow 50 zones though, so most of the time its lugging the heavier bike around, which I can handle on most days, but I do sometimes dream of a more nimble 600.

Working the gears at low speeds can be a pain at low speeds sometimes as well, as you have to keep the rpm above 2.5k, but the higher you rev it the more the engine braking becomes a problem, so you have to be careful with your right hand. However, I have gotten used to this with clutch control experience ;)

A smoother Il4 would probably be more well behaving around traffic and more user friendly.

Anyway, I could go on and on about the comparisons, I suppose I am speaking to the wrong person here - the already seduced ;)

Have you found that you have had to work the engine lots to accelerate on the motorway past cars etc?
Is The Vixen more smooth in traffic?
Anyway, dinners almost ready...

Hay, if you up on the Norf Shore tomorrow, let me know an I could shout you a coffee, if you have time...

slofox
12th May 2010, 13:03
A smoother Il4 would probably be more well behaving around traffic and more user friendly.

Have you found that you have had to work the engine lots to accelerate on the motorway past cars etc?
Is The Vixen more smooth in traffic?
Anyway, dinners almost ready...

Hay, if you up on the Norf Shore tomorrow, let me know an I could shout you a coffee, if you have time...

The IL4 has practically no engine breaking when compared to the SV650S. Well it does have some but not real obvious stuff like the SV. There's also a slipper clutch to add to the confusion. I would have to say though that I have adapted to that very quickly - specially once I found out where the brakes were...:whistle:

I find the gixxer very tractable round town - actually easier to control at low speed than was the SV.

The K8 600 has more mid-range than earlier models. This is commented on in many of the reviews I have read. I would have to say I have no trouble accelerating in traffic. Round town I tend to keep in the 3k - 4k rev range - there is plenty enough grunt for urban riding. On the highway, I keep it at 6k and up. Power kicks in around there, more so at 8k and gets truly interesting from around 12k...At legal highway speeds I doubt I would get into 6th gear - more like 5th. 100km/hr would appear to be about 6000rpm in 6th - just a tad low really although manageable. Would need to drop down maybe two cogs to really fang past anything in your way.

Thanks for the offer of coffee - I was only in the CBD this morning and had to hurry back to get to work. Didn't take the bike because of manky weather although in fact it wasn't that bad. Took an hour to get from Manukau to CBD in the cage though...ngngngrrrrr.

javawocky
12th May 2010, 13:24
...Would need to drop down maybe two cogs to really fang past anything in your way...
When I tested the k7 I remember it being reasonably responsive on the throttle at motorway speeds. Been a long time since the test ride though and seams the bike shops don't have any k7's around to 'test ride' :innocent: .

...Thanks for the offer of coffee - I was only in the CBD this morning and had to hurry back to get to work. Didn't take the bike because of manky weather although in fact it wasn't that bad. Took an hour to get from Manukau to CBD in the cage though...ngngngrrrrr. .

Yeah, she's not to hot out there at the mo. Poor Thumpers getting a little wet. Next time.