PDA

View Full Version : Beat the rego (ACC) price rise. For a year anyway!

Digitdion
12th May 2010, 16:14
Some of you may know this any way. But there is a way to "postpone" The price increase. All you have to do is fill out a MR27 form. This will extend the date when your rego is valid to. the most you can extend is 15 months. Then you pay your rego up until that date. So depending on when your rego is due, that depends how how much you benefit.

There is a 7 dollar fee to do this. I just registered my KTM 990 out until August 2011. That cost me $348. I figure this is alot better than paying high four hundreds for a year.

I talked to LTSA about the new Cost for rego for a year that is due to change on July 1. That do not know the exact fee as yet. I figure the powers that be are keeping quiet on this so we all forget, and end up paying the new increased charge.

Its not massive amounts of money, and its a temp saving, but bloody hell, its alot better than nothing!

I am going to put the bucks I saved, towards getting the old bitch(And my bike) up north for 3 weeks. looking forward to getting back up to Northland where it is a tad warmer than Queenstown this time of year. Look out Ninety mile beach!

Cheers Dion

Cheers Dion

miloking
12th May 2010, 19:02
I will probably put it on hold over winter...but thanks for the tip!

twotyred
12th May 2010, 19:07
on hold already but still riding...(only to the end of my driveway of course)

Mom
12th May 2010, 19:13
on hold already but still riding...(only to the end of my driveway of course)

Mine has a flat battery :dodge: It may get a new one soon :D
Oh, rego on hold too :yes:

davereid
12th May 2010, 20:00
All 4 bikes are on hold. Have been since November. $1000-$1200 in rego fees saved, 6000 km done, no tickets.

Thats a waaayyy good deal.

YellowDog
12th May 2010, 20:09
All 4 bikes are on hold. Have been since November. $1000-$1200 in rego fees saved, 6000 km done, no tickets.

Thats a waaayyy good deal.

Come 1st July the cops will be pulling anyone and everyone on a motorcycle.

I suspect they will do very well out of it :yes:

davereid
12th May 2010, 20:13
Come 1st July the cops will be pulling anyone and everyone on a motorcycle.

I suspect they will do very well out of it :yes:

What do you base that on ? Linky linky...

trailblazer
12th May 2010, 20:14
mine is not due till august so will be doing it in june to make sure i don't get stuck with the xtra charges at least for anotheer year.

YellowDog
12th May 2010, 20:20
What do you base that on ? Linky linky...

Just stating the bleeding obvious.

Hope I am wrong :no:

trailblazer
12th May 2010, 20:50
i hope your wrong to or i will have to put a L plate on my bike. Mind you i should just go get my restricted and be done with it.

peasea
12th May 2010, 21:05
We have three vehicles on hold, fourth coming up soon. The shopping trolley will remain active because of the higher risk (of checkpoints) factor. If any of you moaners had any balls you'd do the same. Fuck 'em. Give them nothing, they're just greedy twats. You're still insured (provided you have a WOF, which is fair enough) and if you have an accident you're still covered by ACC, so why pay? If you don't do stupid shit the chances of getting sprung are minimal.

trailblazer
12th May 2010, 21:11
if you do get caught do you still get the 28 days to get the rego before you have to pay the fine because if so that is not a bad plan.

peasea
12th May 2010, 21:17
if you do get caught do you still get the 28 days to get the rego before you have to pay the fine because if so that is not a bad plan.

No, you get six months, coz you plead not guilty and drag it through the courts. Sheesh..........

trailblazer
12th May 2010, 23:28
i tried that with my car fines a few years ago and the judge hit me harder for wasting his time so i aint guna do that again.

chanceyy
13th May 2010, 05:55
mine is not due till august so will be doing it in june to make sure i don't get stuck with the xtra charges at least for anotheer year.

that will not save you :nono: as your rego does not run out til aug even paying in june you will pay the new fees .. seen it every yr when others on here try it

my rego runs out 28 june and even if I do not pay it right away still pay the old price as its prior to 1 july.

Dodgyiti
13th May 2010, 06:43
Beat the rego- get a vintage bike, anything from 1970 back. Helps with keeping the licence too!

YellowDog
13th May 2010, 16:15
Beat the rego- get a vintage bike, anything from 1970 back. Helps with keeping the licence too!

1970 ain't such a bad era.

cynna
13th May 2010, 16:52
sweet will do that. got both my bikes falling due in june.

miloking
13th May 2010, 18:50

Thanks but i choose to live :D

Dodgyiti
14th May 2010, 09:10
Huh? You choose to live?
Umm so do I. And I use my 1970 bike daily, there were concerns as to how a drum front functions in heavy rain etc and it is all fine.
My bike does 110mph, overtakes well on the open road and is fine trickling in traffic. How fast do you need to go, legally it's 100km/h.
It is not increasing in value as fast as your CBR is devaluing:rofl:

Coldrider
14th May 2010, 09:57
70's bikes teach you how to ride properly.

miloking
15th May 2010, 15:23
Huh? You choose to live?
Umm so do I. And I use my 1970 bike daily, there were concerns as to how a drum front functions in heavy rain etc and it is all fine.
My bike does 110mph, overtakes well on the open road and is fine trickling in traffic. How fast do you need to go, legally it's 100km/h.
It is not increasing in value as fast as your CBR is devaluing:rofl:

Lol, i would have to be retarded to buy 2006 CBR and expect it to keep value (and i didnt even buy it new)...iam planning to ride the wheels off it and then turn it into track whore and buy a new bike every 2-3 years
... still its probably not wise to try "save" money by buying old bikes with old technology...meaning crappy brakes/suspension combined with the weight of a small truck :D (not to mention that you will be pushing it more often than riding...so yes, definately less likely to loose licence)

miloking
15th May 2010, 15:32
70's bikes teach you how to ride properly.

Yes, fear of death is always the best teacher....

Muppet
15th May 2010, 16:22
Mine's on hold for 6 month, fuck 'em! I only ride half a dozen times in winter anyway, this way i only pay $235 odd for the same amount of riding. Childish, but it makes me feel a whole lot better.

bastardsquad
15th May 2010, 19:47
Back on topic.... Don't take no for an answer when you go in to do this. I did it yesterday, went to Kumeu PostShop - first counter person didn't know what a MR27 was, however helpful co-worker produced one. Then when I told them I wanted to change the date to 15 months and pay for 15 months of rego , I was told I couldn't do this. I told them they were mistaken and reiterated my request. They fiddled with the computer...'computer says nooo...' *facepalm*. Again, I tell them they're wrong and that others have done this so please just sort it. They get shirty with me and refuse to do it...I tell them they need to understand the rules and that I am going to VTNZ to do it. I'm not a great fan of VTNZ at the best of times, however props to Karen at VTNZ Kumeu who completed the 15 months within 2 minutes without question - she said 'i'll just type in 18 months and it wont accept that, but will display the maximum date you can have'.

So rego was due on 1/5 , paid it on 14/5 and its now reg'd until 14/8/2011 - exactly 15 months from the date of application. Sorted. Was relieved of the grand sum of $412.34 for the priviledge however. So , don't take no for an answer !

Dodgyiti
16th May 2010, 07:37
That is correct- you have to tell them. I went to Waitakere Testing Station to do mine and still had to tell them what I wanted, managed to educate all the staff about it so it should be fine for the next person to go in and demand 15 months:sunny:

miloking
16th May 2010, 09:05
That is correct- you have to tell them. I went to Waitakere Testing Station to do mine and still had to tell them what I wanted, managed to educate all the staff about it so it should be fine for the next person to go in and demand 15 months:sunny:

Cool, good on ya...i wonder if we could negotiate some kind of group discount :D

Pixie
16th May 2010, 09:34
Back on topic.... Don't take no for an answer when you go in to do this. I did it yesterday, went to Kumeu PostShop - first counter person didn't know what a MR27 was, however helpful co-worker produced one. Then when I told them I wanted to change the date to 15 months and pay for 15 months of rego , I was told I couldn't do this. I told them they were mistaken and reiterated my request. They fiddled with the computer...'computer says nooo...' *facepalm*. Again, I tell them they're wrong and that others have done this so please just sort it. They get shirty with me and refuse to do it...I tell them they need to understand the rules and that I am going to VTNZ to do it. I'm not a great fan of VTNZ at the best of times, however props to Karen at VTNZ Kumeu who completed the 15 months within 2 minutes without question - she said 'i'll just type in 18 months and it wont accept that, but will display the maximum date you can have'.

So rego was due on 1/5 , paid it on 14/5 and its now reg'd until 14/8/2011 - exactly 15 months from the date of application. Sorted. Was relieved of the grand sum of $412.34 for the priviledge however. So , don't take no for an answer !

It's written on the back of the MR27 form: "15 months from the date of application" note #2

You should have left the MR 27 till the last business day in June to get the optimum benefit of the 15 months.I think you might be ok extending it again before July.Your rego does not need to be expired to extend the expiry date.

Now an important question: Is July 1 the date the new fees come in? I thought I read somewhere it was June 1

See here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/113902-WHEN-do-they-say-the-proposed-increases-happen/page4

YellowDog
16th May 2010, 09:39
It's written on the back of the MR27 form: "15 months from the date of application" note #2

I went in on Frday to register my bike and car for 15 months.

I left with only doing the car.

The 15 months is actually from the date you apply and not from the due date.

So I will be going in again with the same MR27 in 2 weeks.

Gubb
16th May 2010, 11:31
So my Rego is up on July 15. Anything I can do about it?

YellowDog
16th May 2010, 11:34
You can buy it upto a month early, when your reminder comes, but I don't know if you will have to pay the new price or not. Get an MR27 and give it a go.

Good luck :)

Digitdion
16th May 2010, 16:52
So my Rego is up on July 15. Anything I can do about it?

With the mr 27 form you can do it now or wait a liittle closer to the time. 15 months max from when you present the mr27. Most staff at post office know nothing about the mr27. But it does work. Any of you guys have any queiries just ring Ltsa and have a chat. You are not breaking any laws, so go for it. An extra year without an increase is better than nothing.

Swoop
16th May 2010, 17:09
Don't take no for an answer when you go in to do this.
The MR27 form is for registrations "less than a month" and "for more than 12 months duration".
Do not take "NO" for an answer.

Nick Smith smiles every time a postshop employee says "no".:ar15: