PDA

View Full Version : Phone providers: Telecom, Vodafone or 2deg?

firefighter
13th May 2010, 15:37
Looking at another thread about phones, i'm in the same boat and needing a replacement.

I am currently on Telecoms old network, on the plan which is supposed to be 500 texts for $10. Unfortunately, for the last aaaaages, i've been getting ripped off, and receiving a maximum of 60 texts for my $10, and actually only got 43 last month.......which does'nt even equate to my $10 spent. I have'nt made any calls, and literally only text or answer calls.....and never check my voicemail.

Anyway. I would like to go to another provider when I upgrade. Problem is who to choose?

I text more than I would ever call anyone, and I do'nt care about the other bullshit. I want to be able to text all networks as part of the plan, because believe it or not, not all of my friends are on the same network......(I fucken hate those 2000 texts for 021 only scams it's bullshit)

So basically, if anyone is in the industry or just knows which has the best setup for me let me know. To be clear I prefer prepay, and like the fact I only spend $10 a month......

jim.cox
13th May 2010, 15:57
At the moment

For mainly text

2 degrees looks to be best value

YMMV

avgas
13th May 2010, 16:05
I just got a dual sim phone.
Best phone idea I ever had.
2 deg and Voda in it.
When 1 runs out I can immediately call back on the other.
I would recommend a dual sim phone to anyone who asks me about phones again.
FYI 2deg seems to have the best coverage right now. I get to test them all as I also have an XT work phone.

Laava
13th May 2010, 18:33
I ported my no over to 2 deg from vodafone and i have had no probs. The std rate for texts within the network is 2c. Plus you get loads free when you topup. The call rate is better than their competitors too and they have great coverage because they have their own network throughout the whole country , with very few exceptions. Then they piggyback on voda.

Mom
13th May 2010, 18:50
Looking at another thread about phones, i'm in the same boat and needing a replacement.

I am currently on Telecoms old network, on the plan which is supposed to be 500 texts for $10. Unfortunately, for the last aaaaages, i've been getting ripped off, and receiving a maximum of 60 texts for my $10, and actually only got 43 last month.......which does'nt even equate to my $10 spent. I have'nt made any calls, and literally only text or answer calls.....and never check my voicemail.

Anyway. I would like to go to another provider when I upgrade. Problem is who to choose?

I text more than I would ever call anyone, and I do'nt care about the other bullshit. I want to be able to text all networks as part of the plan, because believe it or not, not all of my friends are on the same network......(I fucken hate those 2000 texts for 021 only scams it's bullshit)

So basically, if anyone is in the industry or just knows which has the best setup for me let me know. To be clear I prefer prepay, and like the fact I only spend $10 a month......

I am with Telescum on a deal called one bill. I dont ring on my mobile phone if I can help it, it costs me 89c permin no matter who or what I call. I get 5oo free texts a month for $10 and it is just added to my home landline account. No contract no nothing. Suits me.

Dave Lobster
13th May 2010, 18:57
2 degrees doesn't have better coverage than Vodafone. Out of the city, 2 degrees uses Vodafone's 2G network.

2 degrees has cheaper unbundled texts. But as soon as you get a bundle on Voda, they're cheaper.

Laava
13th May 2010, 19:39
2 degrees doesn't have better coverage than Vodafone. Out of the city, 2 degrees uses Vodafone's 2G network.

TOTALLY WRONG!
Get thee to the Tits and Arse thread where thy work is untouchable!

Dave Lobster
13th May 2010, 20:24
TOTALLY WRONG!

Happy to be corrected... :blink:

twotyred
13th May 2010, 20:33

actually you are correct

Dave Lobster
13th May 2010, 20:45
actually you are correct

Are you my wife??

I know they've not got any sites out of the city yet. Still tendering for people to build them. With no money... ;)

AllanB
13th May 2010, 20:55
2 degrees uses Vodo network.

I'm on the old Telecom and will go 2D with my next change of phone.

Mrs B changed to 2d a while back and it has worked out a lot cheaper. Same charge regardless of the network.

Every year every Govt proclaims they will fix NZ's mobile network/pricing. Bullcrap so far, it should be a lot cheaper.

twotyred
13th May 2010, 20:57
Are you my wife??

I know they've not got any sites out of the city yet. Still tendering for people to build them. With no money... ;)

which city are we talking about here?...

Gubb
13th May 2010, 21:16
I switched to 2Degrees and certainly haven't regretted it. The new "Auto Top-up" thing is awesome as well. I don't even have to bother heading into the Servo to buy a card anymore. I went from spending $50 a month with Vodafone to $16 a month with 2Degrees.

Plus they have Rhys Darby.

hayd3n
13th May 2010, 21:21
2 degrees here and love it
22c minutes
9 cent txt

GSXRjohn
13th May 2010, 21:58
TOTALLY WRONG!

This is where you are incorrect 2degrees have a 2G (GSM) romaing agreement with Vodafone NZ so they can provide %97 population coverage

2degrees do have some of there own sites in Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Queenstown

2dgrees customers roam onto the Vodafone NZ 2G GSM network once they leave a LAC boundary they are locked out of by 2degrees request

All the techo stuff I do not want to go into as the post would be boring as hell

John

twotyred
13th May 2010, 22:13
This is where you are incorrect 2degrees have a 2G (GSM) romaing agreement with Vodafone NZ so they can provide %97 population coverage

2degrees do have some of there own sites in Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Queenstown

2dgrees customers roam onto the Vodafone NZ 2G GSM network once they leave a LAC boundary they are locked out of by 2degrees request

All the techo stuff I do not want to go into as the post would be boring as hell

John

as above...

fireliv
13th May 2010, 22:47
I'm with vodafone, have been for 11 years. Great for my Iphone.

However 2 degrees do look great except I have had a few mates buy 2 degree sim cards for there vodafone phones and it doesnt work properly (1 wouldnt recieve phone calls anymore and one would send txts that wouldnt always be recieved).

geoffc
13th May 2010, 22:59
I'm with vodafone, have been for 11 years. Great for my Iphone.

However 2 degrees do look great except I have had a few mates buy 2 degree sim cards for there vodafone phones and it doesnt work properly (1 wouldnt recieve phone calls anymore and one would send txts that wouldnt always be recieved).
Phone a 2degrees rep & they will sort your issue. Phone will need to be configured slightly differently, a easy fix.

Laava
14th May 2010, 07:38

Just so you all know, 2Degrees have nearly 500 of their OWN cell sites and when I asked if they would have 50% of their own coverage the reply was "No much more than that" This from my brother who has been totally involved in the design and implementation of 2Degrees since inception.

yungatart
14th May 2010, 08:11
I am with Telescum on a deal called one bill. I dont ring on my mobile phone if I can help it, it costs me 89c permin no matter who or what I call. I get 5oo free texts a month for $10 and it is just added to my home landline account. No contract no nothing. Suits me.

Me too!
It works great, as long as you don't want to ring anyone!

huff3r
14th May 2010, 08:48
Personally I'm sticking with XT myself. Havent been scared off. For $12 a month i get UNLIMITED txts to any network. I can txt anyone, anytime. Sure the network has had a few minor issues, but I've only ever been affected on 2 days this year. I remember when voda had free txt weekends the network crashed EVERY weekend. And Telecom has more than made it up to me, I've only paid for 2 months of txting this year and they've paid the rest :D

Especially these days, when you dont know if an 021/027/022 is Voda or 2D or Telecom, its handy not having to worry about wether I'll get charged for txting them or not :)

Dave Lobster
14th May 2010, 08:56
Just so you all know, 2Degrees have nearly 500 of their OWN cell sites and when I asked if they would have 50% of their own coverage the reply was "No much more than that" This from my brother who has been totally involved in the design and implementation of 2Degrees since inception.

ANSWERPHONE coverage is not the same thing as real coverage.

They're currently tendering for 700 sites to be built nationally. There's no way they've got 500 already. They don't have the money. That's why they want someone like Ericcson to come along and build them and be paid on the trickle.

Dodgy1
14th May 2010, 09:11
But not by choice :mad: Mrs Dodgy :love: won me a flash new XT phone in a copmpetition so I decided to give 2 degrees a shot as my contract with Telecom had expired. All was well with the exception of the wap browser on the phone. Because the phone is branded by Telecom it points to their wap browser in the menu (T-World) and no amount of changing settings within the phone would change it!! I was locked out completely....Bastards :mad::mad::mad: I know there is a way of flash erasing the software in the phone to restore the factory settings and get rid of the branding I just havn't been able to find it yet....but when I do..... :Punk:

Smokin
14th May 2010, 10:09
I'm with 2 degrees and it's been plain sailing, My phone running cost has plumeted and with better coverage than xt on the coast I can't go wrong.

Dodgy1
14th May 2010, 10:19
I'm with 2 degrees and it's been plain sailing, My phone running cost has plumeted and with better coverage than xt on the coast I can't go wrong.

My time with them was great all apart from the wap browser thing....boy did I have some heated conversations with telecom over it !!!

Laava
14th May 2010, 15:22
ANSWERPHONE coverage is not the same thing as real coverage.

They're currently tendering for 700 sites to be built nationally. There's no way they've got 500 already. They don't have the money. That's why they want someone like Ericcson to come along and build them and be paid on the trickle.

Correct they don't have 500. As I said, straight from the horses mouth, from one of the engineers who designs installs and commisions them, they have NEARLY 500 sites. Sorry you have trouble accepting that, but it's true. They are not beginners you know. This company has gone into other countries before and done exactly the same thing, building their own infrastructure and hitting the ground running. I will find out their network names and get back to you if you like.
They have been as busy as you have been on the T&A thread. Nice work by the way!

EJK
14th May 2010, 15:43
Im wid vf. txt2000 is gud enuf 4 me.

firefighter
14th May 2010, 16:07
Im wid vf. txt2000 is gud enuf 4 me.

That's all good if everyone you know is with vodaphone......or does that include all networks now?

ynot slow
14th May 2010, 22:00

Yep same here for she who must be obeyed,and my plan was /is flexi for $30mth,and added her number to my favourite for $6.00(free to call),so she texts me and I can ring(or ignore).Was thinking of upgrading my phone,but similar on XT is /was special for $30month similar,but no 1000 texts.

EJK
14th May 2010, 22:30
That's all good if everyone you know is with vodaphone......or does that include all networks now?

Only for vodafone. So far only one friend went to 2deg. Suck to be him.