PDA

View Full Version : Can you loan a flywheel holding tool?

Staticam
13th May 2010, 21:47
I haven't looked at buying or making one yet - thought I'd ask here first. I'm trying to get at the starter clutch on the Cagiva again. I can't budge the main nut, even with a bit of wood jammed through the rear wheel.

So, has anyone got one of those special C shaped tools I can borrow?

Flywheel dimensions; 134mm OD with two 9mm dia holes at 180deg.

CookMySock
13th May 2010, 22:57
Rattle gun? Or is that too hard on the gearbox etc?

I have also seen a small wedge of ally placed in the primary gear teeth so to lock it. Dunno if I'd be swinging on the other end of the crankshaft though.

Steve

Staticam
13th May 2010, 23:12
Dunno about a rattle gun. The wood is jamming it up fine, but what I should have added is that the nut ain't coming loose because the crank is slipping via the clutch.

thepom
14th May 2010, 11:31
I had the same problem and broke parts of the clutch trying to loosen it....my mate told me you have to use a rattle gun......I took it to work and it was off the second touch of the rattle gun, I didnt even need to hold anything as the shear force of the gun just broke it lose immediatley......cost me 200 bucks in spare parts for my clutch

imdying
14th May 2010, 11:49
I had the same problem and broke parts of the clutch trying to loosen it....To clarify, was it the previous attempt or the rattle gun attempt that broke something?

Harvd
16th May 2010, 16:26
Made one using: two 400mm bits of steel flats, three 50mm bolts (diameter to suit holes as closely as possible), and 6 nuts to make the thread length poking out fit the holes.
Worked just fine and no damage to any parts.

thepom
16th May 2010, 17:26
It was not the rattle gun......I was trying various tools to stop the basket from rotating with a long scrwdriver and snapped the lug off.So after it was broken I tried again with a different tool and method and broke one of the legs off too......kicked the dog and bought one off e bay for 200 bucks only to get a pm from one of the KB guys who had one spare for 50 bucks.......dog ran for its life ha ha

CookMySock
16th May 2010, 20:51
The rattle gun must find the opposing torque somewhere - probably in the mass of the gearbox. I wonder if it might take a tooth off somewhere.

Steve

F5 Dave
17th May 2010, 17:51
Apply a decent amount of heat to the nut, if it is loctite'd it will help break down the loctite. Rattle gun with the part held with a rag in neutral should be the go.

Staticam
18th May 2010, 00:33
I will attempt to make one just as harvd has done. I've yet to have a scrounge around the garage to see what metal sticks are lying about. Any excuse to purchase some more tools, both heat and rattle guns would be nice. But I still need the spanner to effect tightening.

Staticam
26th May 2010, 19:02
I made a spanner, a couple of bolts screwed through some flats that were welded onto a length of angle. I got the nut off, yep it had been loctite'd. Got the flywheel off and it all looks perfectly fine. What a waste of time. I've got no idea where the bloody knocking is sound coming from.:slap:

CookMySock
26th May 2010, 19:43
Knocking sound? Check the clutch basket isn't loose.

Steve

Staticam
26th May 2010, 22:24
Initial knocking was - till it locked up - the starter clutch bolts backing out into the crankcase. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/115022-Cagiva-crank-crank-clonk!

That's all been fixed, but I really am getting paranoid because I swear the noise was coming back and getting louder. Hence I've gone from DEFCON 3, ticking to DEFCON 2, knocking. Which leads onto to the fact that I've just pulled it apart to make sure. Well thus far, paranoia confirmed.:rolleyes:

Image shows damage to crank casing caused by the sprag bolts that backed out. Two of four sprag bolts are visible behind the ring gear, somehow they got through the holes.:blink:

F5 Dave
27th May 2010, 11:15
So you can grab the crank & not get too much shake from the mains? (there will be clearance movement, not bugger all). & this noise happens whilst stationary. is there slack in the starter cush drive?

Staticam
27th May 2010, 23:08
I can't detect any movement in the crank other than rotational. The starter clutch and gear train has no slack, it freewheels one way and locks up in reverse. I had the clutch side open about a year ago, I don't think there's any problem with it.

The noise is heard while idling but I reckon it's still there when under way but you can't hear it for the rest of the clamour. Perhaps it's valves it's the right frequency. I tried a screwdriver to the ear trick in place of a real stethoscope, and it really sounds to be coming from the bottom end somewhere.

CookMySock
28th May 2010, 08:32
I had the clutch side open about a year ago, I don't think there's any problem with it.Did you have the clutch basket off? I'd be checking if this was loose. It's a quick and easy job and will cost little or nothing.

Steve

Staticam
28th May 2010, 12:30
Did you have the clutch basket off? I'd be checking if this was loose. It's a quick and easy job and will cost little or nothing.

Yea, I had the basket off. I quite distinctly remember being a bit ham fisted and shearing one of the bolts.:doh: I replaced them all with new ones.

Staticam
7th June 2010, 18:44
Thanks to hmmmnz who came round and threw his skills at the bike. Got it back together and fired it up - still noisy. Attacked the valves. The gaps were huge about 5 times greater than they should have been. Reset, then noise check No.2 - much better but something still isn't right. Big-end maybe. If it is the big end, can it be ignored (for how long) or fix it now?