PDA

View Full Version : The hunt for a new Fatt Mobile...

Fatt Max
16th May 2010, 11:04
Ok, so my beloved VL250 looks like it is a write off and will be resting it's bars for all eternity in the big pie shop in the sky........bugger.....

Means I will be in the market for a new bike in the next 6-8 weeks (hopefully sooner if the hand gets fixed quicker)

Anyway, I am not looking to up the rating at this stage and I want to keep the same style of bike if I can. Got abot $5,500 to play with.

So I am after a 250cc cruiser type deal.

Options I have seen so far would be

1 - Decent 2nd hand VL250
2 - Yamaha Virago
3 - Hyosung Aquilla

The Suzukli Marauder looks a bit small for a far bastard like me so I may not look at one of those. I will probably have to go 2nd hand so will buy through a dealer, seen too many burns on Trade Me (unless of course one of you guys has what I am looking for knocking about....)

So, any and all advice, opinion, comment and general piss taking will be grafefully received as always.

Cheers peeps, stay safe out there....

Lurch
16th May 2010, 11:11
My wife's one is up for sale, it is red though... but in perfect condition.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-289733497.htm

Big Dave
16th May 2010, 11:19
Are you limited to a 250?

Gubb
16th May 2010, 11:35
How long you got left on your Restricted Max? Could be worth applying for an exemption (size related of course) and get a bigger bike rather than getting another 250 and selling it on again in a few months.

Fatt Max
16th May 2010, 13:13
My wife's one is up for sale, it is red though... but in perfect condition.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-289733497.htm

Great looking bike mate, getting it to Auckland could be a mission though

Fatt Max
16th May 2010, 13:14
How long you got left on your Restricted Max? Could be worth applying for an exemption (size related of course) and get a bigger bike rather than getting another 250 and selling it on again in a few months.

Now, a few people have suggested this. How do I go about getting one of thiose?

Fatt Max
16th May 2010, 13:15
Are you limited to a 250?

Pretty much Dave unless I can get an exemption. Missus especially not too keen for me to upgrade now especially after the Flatt Max affair last week

Lurch
16th May 2010, 13:16
Great looking bike mate, getting it to Auckland could be a mission though

I'd happily ride it up there but it's always a tough one to buy a bike sight unseen.

firefighter
16th May 2010, 13:19

I ca'nt help you with this, but upgrading is well, well worth it. Could'nt recommend it enough. Plus you seem more than head screwed on right/mature enough to go up a class.

Go for it bro.

Big Dave
16th May 2010, 13:20
If I had to stick to a 250 it would be a trail or dual sport bike. Motarded and fitted with road rubber.
I believe this is the safest and most fun option. Best power to weight, braking, traffic riding position and ergos for the larger man.
When you graduate to full size turn it back to a trailie and it's even better in the fleet.

shrub
16th May 2010, 13:38
If I had to stick to a 250 it would be a trail or dual sport bike. Motarded and fitted with road rubber.
I believe this is the safest and most fun option. Best power to weight, braking, traffic riding position and ergos for the larger man.
When you graduate to full size turn it back to a trailie and it's even better in the fleet.

very good idea. When I was serving my sentence I bought a Yamaha DT250 trail bike and had an awesome run on that. It could cruise all day at 100 kmh, was great around town and best of all I could take it off road where I learned some riding skills that are still serving me nearly 30 years later.

phill-k
16th May 2010, 14:55

Firstly the Yamaha is slightly smaller than the Suzuki.

After I finished my learners on a Yamaha Virgo, I forwarded to LTSA a letter (along with the required form available from where you can sit your license) with a photo attached of me sitting on the Virgo and explained that to complete a "U" turn I needed to swing my leg wide, as if I didn't it prevented me going to full lock. Also pointed out that my weight over balanced the bike and in a situation of wind, or at low speed the bike was unstable and possibly dangerous. In the photo I had all my gear on, not sure if that helped but could have done.
Pointed out my weight and height - 1.8mtr 98kg
They sent me a list of bikes I could consider - same list as the Aussies allow, to select a bike from - you are not supposed to purchase it before they grant the exemption, max cc is 650 and can't remember the power to weight. I had already purchased the shadow, but proved to them that its hp and power to weight was less than some of the bikes on their list, and they finally granted it.
From time of application it was about 2 weeks to granting the exemption, they do put a time limit on it gave me a month beyond when I could sit my full - done now spent all my time riding hoping to get stopped and asked for license, never did until last Friday - day after passed my full and didn't have it on me.

Gubb
16th May 2010, 23:23

Tank did a good write up here. (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/59445-Dispensation-from-the-graduated-licensing-system?highlight=TaNK+EXEMPTION)

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/59445-Dispensation-from-the-graduated-licensing-system?highlight=TaNK+EXEMPTION

madbikeboy
17th May 2010, 10:21
Get a Hornet 600, or a Blandit. Quit messing around on too-fiddy's; you're safer on a larger displacement bike, plus the larger bikes are, well, larger...

javawocky
17th May 2010, 11:08
Get a Hornet 600, or a Blandit. Quit messing around on too-fiddy's; you're safer on a larger displacement bike, plus the larger bikes are, well, larger...

I second that opinion.

The wife is upgrading to an Suzuki S40, has more than enough torque and is cheap as chips.

retro asian
17th May 2010, 11:16
Get an 800cc Intruder (or similar) and you won't look back on the VL250 again... do one of those AA courses where they teach you and a group of young teens that drugs and driving and texting are bad if you do them all together!!

McWild
17th May 2010, 11:31
For the love of god don't do defensive driving. Apply for an exemption, I'm sure they'll alllow one for you.

I just sat my full licence on a Virago 250. Excellent learner bike for sure, but it was very small.

I think you would get a lot more out of a larger cc bike, in fact you will probably find it easier to handle if anything.

Ratti
17th May 2010, 11:37
I think Katiepie is selling her keeway. She has reason to be in AK so it might be a go? pm her anyway and ask. tell her you heard it from me, she wont mind

I'd be going for an exemption, although if you are arguing your size as the factor, you're not really that big, and I top you in height by a wee bit so you are kinda..er...well..I wont say short, but maybe about average for a chap.

What other grounds for exemption are there?