PDA

View Full Version : Chance of a lifetime 3! Build a bike shed

bogan
16th May 2010, 12:34
So my flatmate/house owner reckons there too many bikes in the garage so thinks we should build a bike storage shed. Obviously security is a big priority, also keeping them in top condition.

How would you do it, and or what awesome security features would you want. So far I'm thinking bury some anchor type structure with a pipe eyelet to chain bikes to, fill the pipe eyelet with waste oil just in-case someone tries to torch or grind their way through it.

JimO
16th May 2010, 13:02
so your not worried about all those chained up bikes getting burned and the no insurance aspect as soon as they find out about the oil

shrub
16th May 2010, 13:14
These days theft isn't the issue it used to be, and without being cruel the bikes you have listed would be relatively low in the average thief's priority list.

My shed has a nice carpeted bit for my bike, a fridge, a good stereo and a couple of comfy chairs so I can sit in my chair, drink beer and look at my bike. My security is a couple of heavy chains to a floor mounted anchor which I figure will keep all but the most committed bike thief at bay, and my bike just does't warrant that kind of attention - if I had a Vincent Black Shadow or similar things might be different, but the Lotto fairy hasn't blessed me yet.

Headbanger
16th May 2010, 13:35
My bike shed is my home theatre.

Smifffy
16th May 2010, 13:42

Mine is the bat cave :)

bogan
16th May 2010, 13:44
so your not worried about all those chained up bikes getting burned and the no insurance aspect as soon as they find out about the oil

isn't it like chaining your bike to an lpg cylinder though?

These days theft isn't the issue it used to be, and without being cruel the bikes you have listed would be relatively low in the average thief's priority list.

My shed has a nice carpeted bit for my bike, a fridge, a good stereo and a couple of comfy chairs so I can sit in my chair, drink beer and look at my bike. My security is a couple of heavy chains to a floor mounted anchor which I figure will keep all but the most committed bike thief at bay, and my bike just does't warrant that kind of attention - if I had a Vincent Black Shadow or similar things might be different, but the Lotto fairy hasn't blessed me yet.

True, just those thieving fucks will nick anything that isn't locked up well enough, but I suppose well enough is relative to their perceived worth. Still, if a jobs worth doing, its worth overdoing!

and the sound system is symphony in triplicate?

Wannabiker
16th May 2010, 15:01
probably the CR is the most attractive of them.... How about buying an old shipping container and get it delivered on-site as a bike shed.... You can weld anchor points to it and they are pretty secure....

Wannabiker
16th May 2010, 15:03
.... or rent a secure storage facility close to your place. Mine has pin entry to the secure compound and lockable units... $40 a week or less depending on the size....

Headbanger
16th May 2010, 15:23
and the sound system is symphony in triplicate?

Onkyo amp and Infinity speakers. Serious power.

But I'm not joking, I converted half my shed into a home theatre, and the bike lives in there,anchored to the floor in front of a row of lazyboys.

bogan
16th May 2010, 15:57
probably the CR is the most attractive of them.... How about buying an old shipping container and get it delivered on-site as a bike shed.... You can weld anchor points to it and they are pretty secure....

yeh, that'd be the easiest way, any idea how much and where to get em from?

Wannabiker
16th May 2010, 17:09
I dont really know offhand.....try the shipping companies. They often sell off older ones cheap. Maybe mainfreight? Or you could try P&O Needloyd or Maersk shipping companies....

Smifffy
16th May 2010, 17:44
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchType=all&searchString=shipping+container&type=Search&generalSearch_keypresses=18&generalSearch_suggested=0

HTH

bogan
17th May 2010, 11:18
so there was no suggestions of underground bunkers or other such lairs, I expected more from KB :Pokey:

madbikeboy
17th May 2010, 12:22
Nice one.

I converted my dining room into bike storage - polished wooden floors and a nice race bike on a paddock stand. It also doubles as wife repellent, it's working admirably.

tigertim20
17th May 2010, 16:13
I would have steel pipes buried in the concrete floor, all linked to each other, and figure a way of making the pipes to which you chain your bikes live when you close the place up, so anyone trying to steal your bikes gets a nice big shock. bet there are some heavy legal implications for such a set up though.
camers would be a must, that feed to an external source, so that breaking the cameras would not destroy what they record.

Cameras IN the shed, and at least one outside watching the entrance.
also, two cameras outside the property, one facing each way up the road in case some cunning wanker decides to park a vehicle on the road to load stolen bikes into.

four cameras wouldnt be too pricey i wouldnt think.

tigertim20
17th May 2010, 16:18

shipping containers can be got for 3k or less if they have been decomissioned for transport uses. probably alot cheaper than the cost of building a shed, and fuckall legalities to comply with. running power to it is easy.

to buy one, look up container rentals and sales. there are lots of companies out there that both rent and sell them.

getting one delivered by swinglift to your place should cost around 300-400.

Shipping container would be a great idea.

HenryDorsetCase
17th May 2010, 17:22

www.ysbox.co.nz

HenryDorsetCase
17th May 2010, 17:25
One thing about shipping containers: they are pretty well sealed, so if you keep stuff in them, and dont open the door regularly, there can be condensation, mould and rust problems. I had a client involved in litigation over that: a houselot of furniture allegedly went mouldy when in a container for a couple of years. Shouldnt be an issue in your application though.

Please if you are running power out to it, use something with an RCD. wouldnt want to liven the whole thing up to 240V would we?

HenryDorsetCase
17th May 2010, 17:26
Onkyo amp and Infinity speakers. Serious power.

But I'm not joking, I converted half my shed into a home theatre, and the bike lives in there,anchored to the floor in front of a row of lazyboys.

doesnt it get in the way of the screen?

Headbanger
17th May 2010, 18:04
doesnt it get in the way of the screen?

Not when its hard up against the wall.

Luckily the slot car set is on a hinged platform to allow it to to be raised out of the way.

35 going on 12......

bogan
17th May 2010, 18:12
I would have steel pipes buried in the concrete floor, all linked to each other, and figure a way of making the pipes to which you chain your bikes live when you close the place up, so anyone trying to steal your bikes gets a nice big shock. bet there are some heavy legal implications for such a set up though.
camers would be a must, that feed to an external source, so that breaking the cameras would not destroy what they record.

Cameras IN the shed, and at least one outside watching the entrance.
also, two cameras outside the property, one facing each way up the road in case some cunning wanker decides to park a vehicle on the road to load stolen bikes into.

four cameras wouldnt be too pricey i wouldnt think.

true, I have investigated such a setup, but data logging four cameras takes up a lot of space, and motion detection takes up a lot of cpu, though my flatmate has just built a linux based server for the flat...

Headbanger
17th May 2010, 18:37
A shipping container is only as good as the padlock on the door, and freakin ugly.

Damned if I would want one on my section, Not when the alternative is a shed.

A shed/workshop is a life necessity, I pity anyone without one.

If you do go with a shipping container then build a steel box around the padlock so the theiving fucks can't get to it with a set of bolt cutters.

Bender
17th May 2010, 18:50
A lot of shipping containers have a steel box around the padlock so thieves would have to gasaxe that off first. They are ugly though.

AllanB
17th May 2010, 19:00
What's the existing garage like - if it is freestanding and there is 4m or so free space on either end it would be a easy job to extend the existing garage - concrete pad, 3 walls and a roof. Wire up some lighting and presto - a dedicated bike area. Plus it will add actual value to the property. Everyone likes a big one to park in............

bogan
17th May 2010, 19:06
What's the existing garage like - if it is freestanding and there is 4m or so free space on either end it would be a easy job to extend the existing garage - concrete pad, 3 walls and a roof. Wire up some lighting and presto - a dedicated bike area. Plus it will add actual value to the property. Everyone likes a big one to park in............

existing garage is a cheap as kitset one, so would be a decent amount of work to strengthen it up to cope with an addition, new one would be mainly for storage not workshop probly park my daily rider in the current shed. think he wants it portable to get round the whole building regs/consent thing too.

ants67
17th May 2010, 19:15
being builders we have had quite a few shipping containers over the years all with the box welded over the padlock ,the problem with them is they are made out of corten (spelling may be wrong) steel and any welding to or on the container needs a special welding technic which is not cheap , and if it not done this way in 6 months time you can hit the box or what ever you have welded on with a hammer and it will fall off , we lost alot of tools over the years before we found that out

Dare
17th May 2010, 19:45
true, I have investigated such a setup, but data logging four cameras takes up a lot of space, and motion detection takes up a lot of cpu, though my flatmate has just built a linux based server for the flat...

Shouldnt think so. 1. Wipe data daily or weekly every time nothing gets stolen. 2. Motion detection can be a <$10 electronic circuit wired to your camera, IR detects movement, camera switches on, records for fixed length of time or until movement stops.
Cheap computer that can handle multiple feeds should be a few hundy, cameras shouldnt be too much either. Always made me laugh in jaycar when people spent 2000+ on a 'budget' security system!
That being said, not sure how the law handles security tapes, would be far more interesting to just pump chloroform into the room...

Headbanger
17th May 2010, 20:02
being builders we have had quite a few shipping containers over the years all with the box welded over the padlock ,the problem with them is they are made out of corten (spelling may be wrong) steel and any welding to or on the container needs a special welding technic which is not cheap , and if it not done this way in 6 months time you can hit the box or what ever you have welded on with a hammer and it will fall off , we lost alot of tools over the years before we found that out

You weld the box to the locking mechanism, As you nip the door shut the box slides over the tab the padlock goes through.

No special welding needed.

and it sure as hell isn't going to fall off in six months due to a hammer blow.