PDA

View Full Version : Those were the days

Mom
17th May 2010, 07:48
A couple of comments in another thread got me thinking.

Rode from Auckland to New Plymouth a couple of decades ago in similar conditions half the way and got there relatively dry. The old PVC Line7 gear was great in winter.

Those where the days, remember crossing the rimutakas in the snow in my flash Line 7 suit on the old XL100

I nursed back in the days of the shoe and sticking allowance, when nurses wore caps and capes. One afternoon after work I went to my boyfriends house, it was absolutely chucking it down. I put my trusty Line 7 suit on and hit the road. Now I worked at Greenland Hospital and was heading out to Howick. When I got to his place I took off my suit, I was bone dry but sadly my shoes were not. My lovely white nurses shoes were some sort of road sploodge grey and very sorry looking.

I put them in the hot water cupboard to dry out. Once they were dry I attempted to clean them. No way, but no way were they going to ever be white again and I had to go to work. So, I painted them with white house paint :D Those were the days :laugh:

nodrog
17th May 2010, 07:57
.....I nursed back in the days ... when nurses wore caps and capes.....

pics please!

(did you also have a big S on your chest?)

Genie
17th May 2010, 08:30
I remember my mother with her lovely white funny shaped nursing cap with a red cross on it (I think) and a lovely red cape. She was truely a beautiful sight with her black hair. And she used to have some pins on her uniform regarding her position and the ever so sexy epulets (spelling).....toothpaste was used often to clean her white shoes...yes those days when 10cents bought you so much from the dairy.....and family picnics were so much fun

Headbanger
17th May 2010, 08:33
Life before video games was shite.

madbikeboy
17th May 2010, 10:30
I recall when kids were allowed to do shit, and it was fun. Now there would be an investigation and some handwringing with the stuff we got up to. I recall blasting around the streets on a collection of badly built mx bikes before they coined the term motocross and a Husqvarna was actually cool. I remember Fat Albert and keeping cool after school. I recall when coke was something you drank, and not something you inhaled. I recall when people thought a 2 litre of coke was expensive, and no one in their right mind would shell out cash for water. I recall my Hillman Avenger, which had rostyles and twin carbs, and I recall how cramped having sex in the backseat was. I recall our community constable being a scary guy, and him yelling at me about pulling wheelstands on the main road. I remember working bar jobs for $7 an hour; and that was good money in that day. I recall blasting along the northern motorway on a ZZR1100 thinking I was going to go back in time, it was so fast. I recall when hitting on 16 year chicks was actually okay, because I was 16. Life wasn't cynical, I didn't think that women were after my money (because I had none), and cheating was what you did when playing cards for a giggle, not what happens now.

Life was simpler, better. Should I remove the rose tints?

Eyegasm
17th May 2010, 10:44
I remember Double Happys, Skyrockets, Riding my bike (Pushbike) without a helmet

ahh those were the days when kids could be kids.

Elastic, "Y'' Shaped stick and a few stones were enough to create a weekend of carnage.

And I am not even that old, not even 30.

But, I do love modern technology to bits!!!

Swoop
17th May 2010, 11:18
When in JB-HiFi on Saturday, I spied a boxed set of Captain Scarlet episodes... The whole lot for $20- :woohoo:

The poxy NZBC never broadcast the lot, or at a time when it was watchable. Roll on a rainy weekend, as the dvd player is getting a hammering!

Line7 gear! Awsome stuff.

Motu
17th May 2010, 11:18
Uniforms,they add authority...everyone respected nurses back then.We had an ex nurse as an office lady once - she ran our workshop like a ward,she stormed around at a brisk pace and demanded our job cards to be filled out correctly....with perfect spelling and punctuation.

One place we were given new work boots (Union Rules),and the service manager was shocked to see me painting mine black with a spray can.I told him you won't see me wearing fucking brown boots!

Ratti
17th May 2010, 11:29
I was a farm kid and I remember home made wooden stilts, eeling in the drains, building huts in the hay barn and walking to the gate to catch the school bus in bare feet-on big farm track gravel on a frosty morning. O and the wonderful smell of a freshly opened silage pit. Why does no one else like that smell? I love it when I catch a whiff when Im out riding, takes me back that does!
And standing on the horses back so I could reach the gum emperor moth caterpillars in the tree.
And swiping one of mum's preserving jars to put tadpoles into

Bender
17th May 2010, 12:09
I recall when kids were allowed to do shit, and it was fun. Now there would be an investigation and some handwringing with the stuff we got up to.

I remember when we used to sneak into the lab storeroom at lunchtime to use the big bunsen burners to toast our sandwichs (Papatoetoe High School). There was a bottle of mercury in there and we used to pour it onto the floor to see it "disappear." Now they'd evacuate the entire area for the clean up. And I'm only slightly looney as a result - the dental nurses used to give us mercury in the little plastic drill boxes to play with too.

Different times, for sure. I also had Line 7 gear - it was the only stuff that didn't leak.

Mom
17th May 2010, 17:54
I remember taking a weekend away from the children, a very rare event when you have 3 kids under 5 and something rather special when you can swing it. The occasion - Paeroa Battle of the Streets, well what can I say. The forecast was pants on the Saturday, but we went anyway, was dry when we left home :yes: Me in my leather jacket, and plastic pants :blip: Open face helmet (black of course) scarf and shades, my docs and gloves. Harley pillions are renound for looking tres cool afteral :dodge: Anyway, we got about 5 mins from home and the heavens opened. Not only did they open but I reckon some bastard opened the flood gates because the amount of water that came out of the sky had to be seen to be believed. I could not breathe properly, even breathing through the scarf felt like I was drowning, the tell tale running water was in my boots and my gloves and my jacket in short order, I was not even thinking pants.

The only thing going for us was it was not cold, and what the hell can you do but laugh in situations like that. We arrived at our friends house in Paeroa and he came to the door and just stood there laughing at us, had to tip the water out of gloves and boots etc. What made things even more challenging...

The ventura pack leaked like a bitch and all our "spare" clothes were wet too :yes: We ended up driving over to my Moms place in Thames and drying out our spares there :laugh:

The next day was lovely and sunny as it has been every year I have attended.

SPman
17th May 2010, 18:11
Feeding out hay from the tractor...tractor in first gear and idling...leap off the seat on to the tray and feed out all the bales on the back while tractor idled around paddock, then scramble up back into seat and race through the gearbox, double declutching and low-high splitting, furiously, back to hayshed to get some more hay.......
Tractor wheelies up hill with a load on the tray on the back and vigorous clutch use.......

As a 12 year old!

Safety nazis would have a fit, these days.........

The next day was lovely and sunny as it has been every year I have attended. Just how does that work.....do they do virgin sacrifices to the weather gods.......

Laava
17th May 2010, 18:33
Give this a listen, it is funnier than ever!
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/znrjbo9QRLk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/znrjbo9QRLk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

peasea
17th May 2010, 18:37
pics please!

(did you also have a big S on your chest?)

I reckon, Florence Mom, (or is it Mom Nightingale?) gotta see that.

peasea
17th May 2010, 18:38
I recall when kids were allowed to do shit, and it was fun. Now there would be an investigation and some handwringing with the stuff we got up to. I recall blasting around the streets on a collection of badly built mx bikes before they coined the term motocross and a Husqvarna was actually cool. I remember Fat Albert and keeping cool after school. I recall when coke was something you drank, and not something you inhaled. I recall when people thought a 2 litre of coke was expensive, and no one in their right mind would shell out cash for water. I recall my Hillman Avenger, which had rostyles and twin carbs, and I recall how cramped having sex in the backseat was. I recall our community constable being a scary guy, and him yelling at me about pulling wheelstands on the main road. I remember working bar jobs for $7 an hour; and that was good money in that day. I recall blasting along the northern motorway on a ZZR1100 thinking I was going to go back in time, it was so fast. I recall when hitting on 16 year chicks was actually okay, because I was 16. Life wasn't cynical, I didn't think that women were after my money (because I had none), and cheating was what you did when playing cards for a giggle, not what happens now.

Life was simpler, better. Should I remove the rose tints?

I do believe we were all warned not to take the brown acid, didn't you listen?

scumdog
17th May 2010, 18:41
Ah, the old 'sticking' allowance, never got one of them........

roadracingoldfart
17th May 2010, 18:53
Refunds on bottles that meant you didnt have to get money from mum ,
running aftre the fire engine when it was going to a fire and not being left behind cause it was so slow,
Never loosing the bike keys cause they were in the bike,
Out running the council cops cause they had slow cars,
Bread and milk was affordable ,
People made stuff they wanted instead of going to the Big Red Shed,
Mowing a quarter acre section at 8 years old with a handmower,
The thrill of buying my Line 7 one piece suit (i still have) and feeling like i was bulletproof,
Those were some of those days.

SPman
17th May 2010, 20:01
Those were some of those days. And the rest of the time it sucked....aaahh, those were the days

Mom
17th May 2010, 20:32
Refunds on bottles that meant you didnt have to get money from mum

I remember stealing bottles from a guy that lived a bit down the road from us, not just me mind a bunch of us kids. Cashed them in for lollies and walked out of the dairy. The sudden clap of hand on my back is something I will never forget, that and the fact he took the lollies off me. Then a few days later he turned up at my house and played cards with my old man. Scard the bejesus out of me, but stood true to his word and never told on us, just made sure we knew that he could at any time :pinch:

Those were the days.

peasea
17th May 2010, 20:59
I remember stealing bottles from a guy that lived a bit down the road from us, not just me mind a bunch of us kids. Cashed them in for lollies and walked out of the dairy. The sudden clap of hand on my back is something I will never forget, that and the fact he took the lollies off me. Then a few days later he turned up at my house and played cards with my old man. Scard the bejesus out of me, but stood true to his word and never told on us, just made sure we knew that he could at any time :pinch:

Those were the days.

What tha? No CYF's, no counselling, no family conference, no diversion?

How did you survive?

MIXONE
17th May 2010, 21:06
We used to get the empty bottles out of the crates at the back of the dairy and take them in to collect our deposit and spend it on lollies.
He never did catch on.

Toaster
18th May 2010, 07:54
Life before video games was shite.

But less fattening!!

Toaster
18th May 2010, 07:59
What tha? No CYF's, no counselling, no family conference, no diversion?

How did you survive?

Ah yes, terms that warm the heart of every police officer and victim of crime...... not!

roogazza
18th May 2010, 08:26
Refunds on bottles that meant you didnt have to get money from mum ,
running aftre the fire engine when it was going to a fire and not being left behind cause it was so slow,
Never loosing the bike keys cause they were in the bike,
Out running the council cops cause they had slow cars,
Bread and milk was affordable ,
People made stuff they wanted instead of going to the Big Red Shed,
Mowing a quarter acre section at 8 years old with a handmower,
The thrill of buying my Line 7 one piece suit (i still have) and feeling like i was bulletproof,
Those were some of those days.
LOL I can remember petrol at 25 cents a gallon in the sixties ! But what really shit me was in 72 a tankfull in a Mach4 was $4 ! $1 per gallon. A tankful got me from Stokes Valley via Rimutukas to Featherston and back on a Sunday morning fang. Oh for the road of those days, no cops, no traffic and the Kaitokis as well, you can't even imagine. G.

Bald Eagle
18th May 2010, 08:37
LOL I can remember petrol at 25 cents a gallon in the sixties ! But what really shit me was in 72 a tankfull in a Mach4 was $4 ! $1 per gallon. A tankful got me from Stokes Valley via Rimutukas to Featherston and back on a Sunday morning fang. Oh for the road of those days, no cops, no traffic and the Kaitokis as well, you can't even imagine. G.

and a lot of use remember a world before decimal currency

roadracingoldfart
18th May 2010, 08:48

I remember the Kaitokis well , better than the Tuckas on a good day lol.
Potato fritters at 4cents each , coke for 12 cents a bottle , Lollies at 5 for a cent , My first ful face helmet was $35.00 and it took me 2 months to layby it from the Harrises in the Hutt . I was only earning $42.00 a week.
Outrunning the cops with $14.00 of fish and chips (that was a hell of a parcel) up my jacket after the Lyall Bay races one year on the racebike Hahaha , that was fun.
250cc stickers on the 400and the cops say "i estimated your speed at 150kmh in a 70 zone ". What on a 250 mate , never possible its not that fast , ok he would say ill get you for 100 in a 70 zone , ok mate , fair cop lol.

roogazza
18th May 2010, 09:15
There has to be one ! four and a half litres to a gallon.... can you make the intricate calculation ? FFS

wysper
18th May 2010, 10:55
I remember milk in glass bottles with aluminum caps and a thick layer of cream
I remember bread wrapped in blue wax paper
I remember walking home from school in bare feet popping tar bubbles with my toe
I remember my brother doubling me on his motorbike with no helmet at the beach
I remember when a big ben pie at school was the height of culinary delight
I remember milk biscuits at school
I remember dental nurses and their slow drills at the murder house!

I hope I am making memories for my kids so that they can wax lyrical about the good old days too.

Spyke
18th May 2010, 11:12
This alll sounds like you guys liked it better then than now? Your generation are still running the country and have all the money why don't you guys change it back a bit ae? why did you all go gay and ruin my time cheers!

on a brighter note i know it wasn't you here in the forum as your whining about it, but your accountant mate and feminist friend, you should have bucked their ideas up when they started going down those roads.

Ixion
18th May 2010, 11:44
I remember milk in glass bottles with aluminum caps and a thick layer of cream
I remember bread wrapped in blue wax paper
I remember walking home from school in bare feet popping tar bubbles with my toe
I remember my brother doubling me on his motorbike with no helmet at the beach
I remember when a big ben pie at school was the height of culinary delight
I remember milk biscuits at school
I remember dental nurses and their slow drills at the murder house!

I hope I am making memories for my kids so that they can wax lyrical about the good old days too.

You are young.

I remember milk ladled from the churn on the milkman's cart direct into my billy.
I remember bread that never got wrapped, just popped into Grans' basket, fresh from the oven
I remember walking home from school in bare feet wading through the ditches. No sealed roads then
I remember riding my motorbike with no helmet at the road. Totally legal
I remember when bread and dripping, distributed at school by the teachers, because poor children couldn't afford lunch, was the height of culinary delight
I remember free school milk. Quite vile unless you were a milk monitor and got it whilst it was still cold
I remember dental nurses and their slow drills at the murder house! Ditto. And school medical inspections.

It is easy to look back through rose tinted glasses. Times are MUCH better now. Back then, they were hard. Folk scrimped and eked, and still didn't have enough for food. I'll warrant that not many can remember a time when children regularly actually went hungry, because their parents didn't have money for food, despite being sober and hardworking. No-one now goes hungry. Praise God for that (and Mr Savage and the real Labour Party)

Oscar
18th May 2010, 11:45
This alll sounds like you guys liked it better then than now? Your generation are still running the country and have all the money why don't you guys change it back a bit ae? why did you all go gay and ruin my time cheers!

on a brighter note i know it wasn't you here in the forum as your whining about it, but your accountant mate and feminist friend, you should have bucked their ideas up when they started going down those roads.

If we have all the money (and the spelling and grammar, if you're anything to go by), it's because we worked for it.

So stop pissing about on the Internet, cut a haircut, and get a real job.

Sheesh - kids these days....

Oscar
18th May 2010, 12:18
A couple of comments in another thread got me thinking.

I put my trusty Line 7 suit on and hit the road. Now I worked at Greenland Hospital and was heading out to Howick.

The Line 7 Suit....

I used to work in the same building as ACC in the days when they were the Motorcyclists friend. Crap of yer bike, get a chit from the Doc, and turn up to ACC with yer scratched helmet and busted up riding gear and they pay.

And when they'd paid, they dumped it at the back door of the office to wait for the bin man.

So one day, leaving by the back door (where I parked my trusty DT250D), I noticed a new addition to the pile of dinged up helmets and ripped riding gear - a red Line 7 suit with a slight rip in the knee, in my size!

Just the thing fer trail riding me thinks, so I half inch it and take it with me on our next trip to Maramarua.

After about 10 minutes in the forest I discover that it's more yer portable sauna than it is off road riding gear, so I abandon it and pick it up later on the way to the pub.

After a couple of jars in the Red Fox, we head back to the Farm Cottage where we were staying. I tie the arms of the Line 7 suit around my waist, and ride the 4 or 5 k's back with the legs flapping in the breeze behind me. Arriving at the farm, I hop off the DT to shut the gate and then jump back on,giving it the berries as if I don't get back up to the Cottage, those bastids will drink all the beer.

At this point, I figure that my appendix has suddenly,violently and painfully burst. For I am seized with an incredible pain in my neither regions, but I'm also being inexplicably dragged backwards....as I exit my bike over the back wheel, I'm also making things worse by opening the throttle in an effort to maintain my grip. The DT does a kind of on the spot wheelstand and then falls over as I finally give up and let go...

I find myself on my back, laying across the rear wheel, tied to my bike by the Line 7 suit which is now wrapped several times around the rear sprocket and tangled in the chain...

Spyke
18th May 2010, 12:34
If we have all the money (and the spelling and grammar, if you're anything to go by), it's because we worked for it.

So stop pissing about on the Internet, cut a haircut, and get a real job.

Sheesh - kids these days....

who needs grammar? 40 hours a week not good enough? Haven't you herd, the internet is the new library and also acts as a second parent gosh.

you do have a point though, when I'm not working and i'm off me lazy asss what can our generation do to make the country stop for a second and look at ourselves to see whats happening. then maybe we can go forward for the good of us as a whole, not some suit wearing mofo.

(Which oldies up for the challenge lol?)

PS i envy all who grew up in the 70's

Oscar
18th May 2010, 12:44
who needs grammar? 40 hours a week not good enough? Haven't you herd, the internet is the new library and also acts as a second parent gosh.

you do have a point though, when I'm not working and i'm off me lazy asss what can our generation do to make the country stop for a second and look at ourselves to see whats happening. then maybe we can go forward for the good of us as a whole, not some suit wearing mofo.

(Which oldies up for the challenge lol?)

Who needs grammar?
Obviously no one in your line of work.

What do you mean "go forward for the good of us as a whole"?

nadroj
18th May 2010, 13:12
Things that stick in your memory:
Dipping pens, ink wells & blotting paper (saved from the soap wrapping).
Milk monitor, crossing warden & film warden?
Suzuki 125 stingers, Honda cb360's, Yamaha DS7 250, R5 350 & DT360 trailie.
4 pack of Juicy Fruit = 2d
Ice cream slice with a buzz bar "off the ice"

SPman
18th May 2010, 13:12
I remember free school milk. Quite vile unless you were a milk monitor and got it whilst it was still cold
I remember dental nurses and their slow drills at the murder house! Ditto. And school medical inspections.

Aaaah school milk......left in the box in the summer sun until 10 o'clock..................

the smell of regurgitated milk all over the classroom floor............

Dental nurses with their foot operated drills.........

When any bike over 650cc was considered HUGE! Who could handle the massive power of a Vincent Black Shadow.................

Spyke
18th May 2010, 14:26
Who needs grammar?
Obviously no one in your line of work.

What do you mean "go forward for the good of us as a whole"?

No I don't need to use much grammar in my line of work, not many of our generation will as we can pass school with out it :)

New Zealand moving forward as a group, helping each other not just thinking of your self.

I'm no bible basher but one thing I have heard from a few of them is "know thy neighbor". I think we have to bring the community feeling and lifestyle back to NZ.

madbikeboy
18th May 2010, 14:37
I find myself on my back, laying across the rear wheel, tied to my bike by the Line 7 suit which is now wrapped several times around the rear sprocket and tangled in the chain...

I'm still chuckling, nice one Fella.

madbikeboy
18th May 2010, 14:40
who needs grammar?

Who needs grammar? Aside from you? It makes it easier for us old folk to decipher your ramblings. Now, where's my reading glasses and hearing aid...

peasea
18th May 2010, 14:47
Erhem! That would be me.
Walls covered in easy Rider, Jimi Hendrix, Doors and Led Zep posters. Mild-mannered pot, good acid, plenty of American V8's to choose from, gas was 47c per gallon (4.5l) and six big bottles of beer was $1.95. You could have yourself a ball for five bucks.

Pwalo
18th May 2010, 15:16
When in JB-HiFi on Saturday, I spied a boxed set of Captain Scarlet episodes... The whole lot for $20- :woohoo:

The poxy NZBC never broadcast the lot, or at a time when it was watchable. Roll on a rainy weekend, as the dvd player is getting a hammering!

Line7 gear! Awsome stuff.

Yes indeedy. My son pointed the boxed set out to my wife, and she got it for me. Brilliant stuff. From memory the only problem with Line 7 motorbike stuff was that you got almost as wet on the inside if it was a warm day!

Swoop
18th May 2010, 15:17
The Line 7 Suit....
I'm guessing that it was untangled and managed to survive another 20-odd years of service as well...

Yes indeedy. My son pointed the boxed set out to my wife, and she got it for me. Brilliant stuff.
I have enjoyed 3 episodes last night. I laughed when I saw a flat screen tv (at least 40inch screen) in one of the episodes!!!

R1madness
18th May 2010, 15:23
We used to get the empty bottles out of the crates at the back of the dairy and take them in to collect our deposit and spend it on lollies.
He never did catch on.

Actually he DID know lol. It was his way of stopping you from shoplifting the lollies.

Bikemad
18th May 2010, 15:39
ah yes the 70s................jet boating up the waimack in headmasters old Zepher 6 powered boat..........$25 four finger bags of NZ Green.................gallons of DB Green..........the real Mission Impossible on our first Colour TV..............petrol pumps with the clock face and hands goin round n round to fill up my Morris Oxford for 30 something cents a gallon i think it was............stressing out for School C.............my first shag...........first punch up.........first trouble with the Law.................the good old days eh.........

Oscar
18th May 2010, 16:00
I'm guessing that it was untangled and managed to survive another 20-odd years of service as well...

We had to take the wheel out.
I gave it away, it was cursed as far as I was concerned....

Ratti
18th May 2010, 16:44
70's?
that's be growing up on the Coromandel Penninsula.
Housetruckers, alternative lifestylers, Nambassa and Sweetwaters,

Oscar
18th May 2010, 16:47
70's?
that's be growing up on the Coromandel Penninsula.
Housetruckers, alternative lifestylers, Nambassa and Sweetwaters,

My first music festival was the one at Waikino.
Found someones big bag of dack that they'd dropped, lost me wallet and slept in our old Austin A95. I ate Hare Krishna rice for two days and got down to Hello Sailor and Living Force (remember them?).

Mom
18th May 2010, 16:49

I was a dollar scholar :D

Aaaah school milk......left in the box in the summer sun until 10 o'clock..................

the smell of regurgitated milk all over the classroom floor............

That milk was disgusting and it HAD to be drunk before you could go and play as I recall. As far as the dental nurses go, I to this day need to take panadol before I ring to make an appointment at the dentist. Actually that is a lie I almost NEVER go. The foot operated drill :pinch: I remember having all my adult molars drilled out and filled during one summer holiday. No injections back then either, just the cruel and inhumane drilling. One day I clamped my teeth shut on this bitches fingers and refused to let go :D

vifferman
18th May 2010, 17:37
Ta! You envy us rightly - the '70s were pretty good - lots of cool music, lots of interesting new bikes, lotsa fun.
Yeah, things are better now in some ways, but also more complicated. For a start, there was far less nasty crime - if you got one murder a year, it was BIG news. (Mebbe because back then speeding motorists weren't murderers....)
Oh yeah - and I too had Line7 gear (just the trou), and it was pretty good, which is why the bike cops were kitted out in it.
My first bike cost 80c to fill up, and would go 85 miles before going onto reserve.
Y'know, the funny thing is, a year or so back, I did a comparison of petrol prices, bike prices, speeding tickets, and wages, and discovered to my surprise that bikes, petrol and speeding tickets are all cheaper now, allowing for inflation.

Mom
18th May 2010, 17:44
I used to have to carry spare spark plugs in my pocket back in the day, I dont have to do that now.

SPman
18th May 2010, 18:07
My first music festival was the one at Waikino.
Found someones big bag of dack that they'd dropped, lost me wallet and slept in our old Austin A95. I ate Hare Krishna rice for two days and got down to Hello Sailor and Living Force (remember them?).
First big festival was at Ngaruawahia in ....'73 ....communal showers.....Corben Simpson naked on stage......Black Sabbath, with the burning cross on the hill....what were they like...who knows, we were well away....the acid was good that year.....

I was a dollar scholar http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/../../images/smilies/biggrin.gif I worked in the decimal conversion plant for Burroughs in Khyber Pass Rd - my first job out of school...hey, 15 quid a week was good money...only cost 4 pound an hour flying lessons in a Piper Cub and a Yammy 100 was L 97/10/-

peasea
18th May 2010, 18:48
I used to have to carry spare spark plugs in my pocket back in the day, I dont have to do that now.

Yeah, Champions were pretty much all you could get and they were rubbish. I know they've improved but NGK's and electronic ignition are the shiz.

Mom
18th May 2010, 18:50
Yeah, Champions were pretty much all you could get and they were rubbish. I know they've improved but NGK's and electronic ignition are the shiz.

I remember going for my license, I was really worried I would foul a plug as I could not go 30 mph (OMG! Miles per hour) in top without fouling one, and any lower gear made it sound like I was wringing its neck. I expained that to the cop who suggested I just did my best :laugh:

peasea
18th May 2010, 18:59
I remember going for my license, I was really worried I would foul a plug as I could not go 30 mph (OMG! Miles per hour) in top without fouling one, and any lower gear made it sound like I was wringing its neck. I expained that to the cop who suggested I just did my best :laugh:

So; you still don't have a license then?

JATZ
18th May 2010, 20:47
Ahhhhh......reminiscing (?)
I too used to cash in the glass bottles for a huge bag of lollies,.
Go scabbing at the tip and find some reeeal good stuff too, before all this recycling nonsense took over.
And heading up North head with a LARGE bag of double happys, roman candles and skyrockets for an epic battle in the tunnels with my brother and his mates, it was his birthday around then and thats how we celebrated :D
AAAnd going down the shop for my old man to by his smokes when I was still in single figures, no I.D. required

Ocean1
18th May 2010, 21:03
Ta! You envy us rightly - the '70s were pretty good - lots of cool music, lots of interesting new bikes, lotsa fun.
Yeah, things are better now in some ways, but also more complicated. For a start, there was far less nasty crime - if you got one murder a year, it was BIG news. (Mebbe because back then speeding motorists weren't murderers....)

All true.

I'd rabbit on about it too but I recall a lot of the old bastards in my life doing that.

And I'm not yet ready to go there.

Genie
18th May 2010, 21:35
Ahhhhh......reminiscing (?)
I too used to cash in the glass bottles for a huge bag of lollies,.
Go scabbing at the tip and find some reeeal good stuff too, before all this recycling nonsense took over.
And heading up North head with a LARGE bag of double happys, roman candles and skyrockets for an epic battle in the tunnels with my brother and his mates, it was his birthday around then and thats how we celebrated :D
AAAnd going down the shop for my old man to by his smokes when I was still in single figures, no I.D. required

oh those teeny little red and green ones all strung up together.....shit i hate it when my brain doesn't remember the name of some things, but hey, those wee bangers were fun! Tom Thumbs????

rickstv
18th May 2010, 21:42
Yeah those were the days, late 50's early 60's I remember walking to the IGA store above Beach Haven wharf with two of my mates. We were carrying our air rifles in full view. we bought Coke off the ice for 6d and used the empty bottles for target practice on the wharf.
Couln't get away with that today.

Trapping possums and making Davey Crocket hats from the pelts and keeping the odd baby possum as pets

And a mate of mine showing off on his new Kawasaki 3 cylinder 500cc two stroke bike (1973 or there abouts) took off down the road and before he changed into the next gear, the bike hit its power band suddenly and front wheel came up. Idiot came back white as a sheet. first wheel stand I ever saw.

And all those bloody vaccinations at primary school from primmer one onwards. I seem to remember they used the same needle for everyone, could be wrong though.

Every kid in my class at school had both a mum and a dad living at home
There wasn't any TV and we wern't bored, yeah, those were the days

Gareth51
18th May 2010, 22:15

Your whole mouth would vibrate as it slowly ground away at your teeth..................THE MURDER HOUSE..........

Gareth51
18th May 2010, 22:17

My first packet of Rothmans cost 2/- ( a couple of bob)

Gareth51
18th May 2010, 22:23
oh those teeny little red and green ones all strung up together.....shit i hate it when my brain doesn't remember the name of some things, but hey, those wee bangers were fun! Tom Thumbs????

There were about ten strings to a packet,we would light the whole lot and chuck them throgh the window into the girls toilet

Gareth51
18th May 2010, 22:31
I remember taking a weekend away from the children, a very rare event when you have 3 kids under 5

All you nurses wanted to do was try and make babies

Mom
19th May 2010, 07:22

Not so young Gareth, it more about practising :yes:

Bald Eagle
19th May 2010, 07:51

Not so young Gareth, it more about practising :yes:

Happy Days, Trentham Police Cadets and Lower Hutt student nurses .... nuff said .

madbikeboy
19th May 2010, 11:37
Mom, you crack me up.