PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle registration increases

Gezza
18th May 2010, 19:15
Hi all
Any one know whern we can expect the rego's to go up, or have they done so already. Sort of thinking i'd go in and get a fresh 12 months before they go up.
Gaz

jack_hamma
18th May 2010, 21:21
Get 15 months instead dude!

Quasievil
18th May 2010, 21:23
Im not registering my bike, Im insured with a warrant only.............why bother what is it $150 fine ? big deal I rarely get pulled up.

crystalball
18th May 2010, 21:27
well my rego runs out today so next week I book my full licence test (At long last) and then when I get that I will get full insurance and then 1yrs rego befor it goes up in July.

trailblazer
18th May 2010, 21:27
Im not registering my bike, Im insured with a warrant only.............why bother what is it $150 fine ? big deal I rarely get pulled up.

That might all change now you have the mighty R1.

chasio
18th May 2010, 21:28
If you're going to keep it registered as a road bike, this is worth a read (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/120076-Can-I-pay-my-registration-early-and-AVOID-the-new-fees/page2).

Cheers - Chasio

Bulldog
19th May 2010, 07:54
You can't get a WOF without a rego dudes....sorry to bust your bubble. Therefore no insurance, no AA (if you're a member) and any other services that may require this, and a $400 fine when caught.

nodrog
19th May 2010, 07:59
You can't get a WOF without a rego dudes....sorry to bust your bubble. Therefore no insurance, no AA (if you're a member) and any other services that may require this, and a $400 fine when caught.

you dont need a rego to get a wof, you need a wof to get a rego.

Quasievil
19th May 2010, 08:10
you dont need a rego to get a wof, you need a wof to get a rego.

Correct............for now at least, so why do I need a rego then?? dont need it for me insurance according to my agent, dont need it for a warrant, I havent been pulled up for 6 years on a bike

Fuck em

davereid
19th May 2010, 08:12

There is no problem getting a WOF without rego.
Ixion (thanks mate) has already quoted the relevant legislation which prevents an insurer declining your claim because you don't have rego.

Like Quasievil I am simply putting my bikes on hold. I'll pay the fine should I get caught, but I have done well over 6000 km, including the Bert Monroe, when we rode the entire circumference of the Sth Is without a ticket.

For the first few weeks, I admit I was very aware that I had no rego. Now I have kind of become used to it and I don't think about it much anymore.

I'd rather pay the fine than give ACC my money.

DMNTD
19th May 2010, 08:15
....Just watch out if they decided to lay demerits on non rego'd vehicles

nodrog
19th May 2010, 08:18
....... Ixion (thanks mate) has already quoted the relevant legislation which prevents an insurer declining your claim because you don't have rego. ......

have you got a link to this so i can have a look?

YellowDog
19th May 2010, 08:24
Correct............for now at least, so why do I need a rego then?? dont need it for me insurance according to my agent, dont need it for a warrant, I havent been pulled up for 6 years on a bike

Fuck em

Makes you an easy target after July 1st.

Good luck.

davereid
19th May 2010, 08:25

It was during the millions of pages the site generated during the A.CC protests.. the basic principle being that an insurer cant decline insurance for something unrelated to the accident. So he can't decline your claim for being crashed into from behind, just because your headlight wasn't working. But he might be able to decline your claim if you were hit from behind, and your brake light wasn't working. Having NO WOF or being outside your licence conditions - ie no L plate, over drink drive limit, breach of driving hours might all invalidate insurance, but not having paid your licence fee, on a otherwise correctly registered vehicle would not.

p.m. Ix he might be able to find it. But he's a scary old bastard so be polite.

Toaster
19th May 2010, 08:28
....Just watch out if they decided to lay demerits on non rego'd vehicles

Ever heard of a Hayabusa farmbike?

Bald Eagle
19th May 2010, 08:30
Ever heard of a Hayabusa farmbike?

Not currently , but I do know of a VF1000 'farm bike'

doc
19th May 2010, 08:34
I wonder what will happen in court ? if those with multiple bikes just register one and swap plates when needed. I know your not allowed to, but you can only ride one at a time and you haven't denied them your portion of the levy.

:mellow:All the fines are going to get a hike I bet.

miloking
19th May 2010, 08:39
I wonder what will happen in court ? if those with multiple bikes just register one and swap plates when needed. I know your not allowed to, but you can only ride one at a time and you haven't denied them your portion of the levy.

:mellow:All the fines are going to get aa hike I bet.

You are are now using common sense and logic....and court system is like a PMS woman, it does not understand logic/common sense!

Also for all of you planning to put bikes on hold (like me) i suggest to buy 3-6 months of rego now and then put it on hold ...because i bet for first few months after 1st July there will be "random" WOF/rego checkpoints everywhere...

Mudfart
19th May 2010, 10:01
if i buy a brand new 600 cc from the shop, say a yamy R1 at 599cc, can i insist to the shop selling it, that they rego it at 599cc, under the 600cc price step up? then it will forever be under the 600cc price step up.
perhaps a benefit of buying brand new, if im gonna keep it long term.

miloking
19th May 2010, 10:14
if i buy a brand new 600 cc from the shop, say a yamy R1 at 599cc, can i insist to the shop selling it, that they rego it at 599cc, under the 600cc price step up? then it will forever be under the 600cc price step up.

I dont think thats possible, probably easier to buy R6 and put R1 motor into it :)

Ixion
19th May 2010, 10:22

Insurance Law Reform Act 1977. Specifically S 5.1

A contract of insurance shall not be avoided by reason only of any statement made in any proposal or other document on the faith of which the contract was entered into, reinstated, or renewed by the insurer unless the statement—

(a) Was substantially incorrect; and
(b) Was material.

breakaway
19th May 2010, 10:54
It was during the millions of pages the site generated during the A.CC protests.. the basic principle being that an insurer cant decline insurance for something unrelated to the accident. So he can't decline your claim for being crashed into from behind, just because your headlight wasn't working. But he might be able to decline your claim if you were hit from behind, and your brake light wasn't working. Having NO WOF or being outside your licence conditions - ie no L plate, over drink drive limit, breach of driving hours might all invalidate insurance, but not having paid your licence fee, on a otherwise correctly registered vehicle would not.

p.m. Ix he might be able to find it. But he's a scary old bastard so be polite.

I know of a guy that was involved in a not at fault 'collision' w/ restricted licence on 1000cc bike. No insurance at the time. Was a long fight with at fault persons' insurance co, but got money in the end. Fair point about everything else though.

avgas
19th May 2010, 11:00
Bugger that - may as well get them to put 49cc so ya don't have to do a WOF too

slofox
19th May 2010, 11:17
Current rego runs out on 3 July. I will reg for 15 months on 30 June...already got the form filled out and a'waitin' to go...

Ixion
19th May 2010, 11:43
The new regulations have now ben gazetted , BTW.
Look here http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2010/0073/latest/DLM2831401.html

Note , important and apparently conflicting

S 2
Commencement
These regulations come into force on 1 May 2010.
(My emphasis )

But, Sec 6 says

Payment of levies
(1) The motor vehicle levy and the Motorcycle Safety levy are payable—
(a) for each licensing period that commences on or after 1 July 2010; and
(b) on application for one of the following licences:
(i) a motor vehicle licence, under section 10 of the Transport (Vehicle and Driver Registration and Licensing) Act 1986; or
(blah) BRONZ is attempting to obtain clarification of this.

NighthawkNZ
19th May 2010, 11:50
Hi all
Any one know whern we can expect the rego's to go up, or have they done so already. Sort of thinking i'd go in and get a fresh 12 months before they go up.
Gaz

My old rego ran out July 26th... since you are not allowed to re-register till the calendar month of when your rego runs out I filled in a MR27 paid $341 (old levies) 1 and maxed out on the rego new rego till August 201..

I though the new fees were coming in on jun not july... so I could have go another month it I waited till next month...

glegge
19th May 2010, 13:41
ok, first dumb question, and yes i should have already known and done this but..

is it too late to pay at the old rate, and use the IRxyz(whatever it is) form to extend it into the future as have some done
Yes, i know - left it to late right?
silly me.
only other option might be not to pay i think.

NighthawkNZ
19th May 2010, 14:00
is it too late to pay at the old rate, and use the IRxyz(whatever it is) form to extend it into the future as have some done
Yes, i know - left it to late right?
silly me.

No its not to late and yes you can I did it yesterday...

imdying
19th May 2010, 14:18
why botherWell, you have two options:
- Put the registration on hold, and ride it, which is more than a $150 fine
- Let the registration lapse after a year, after which you can't get a WOF

Didn't get one of those fat whale 09 R1s did ya?

mazz1972
19th May 2010, 14:28
Well, you have two options:
- Put the registration on hold, and ride it, which is more than a $150 fine
- Let the registration lapse after a year, after which you can't get a WOF

Didn't get one of those fat whale 09 R1s did ya?

Put the rego on hold instead of letting it lapse, you can do that for free

Squiggles
19th May 2010, 14:35
is it too late to pay at the old rate, and use the IRxyz(whatever it is) form to extend it into the future as have some done.

I did it today, form is an MR27

glegge
19th May 2010, 14:36
ok thanks. so the last possible day we can do this is 1st July right?

No its not to late and yes you can I did it yesterday...

peasea
19th May 2010, 14:39

Yes ya can, it's the other way round. My bike's been on hold since April, got a WOF just the other day.

peasea
19th May 2010, 14:43
Where's the solidarity here? I can recall heaps of people ranting about how they weren't gonna pay etc etc when the new fees were announced, now you're all running like pussies to the fucking rego office. HTFU! If everyone refused to pay they'd get the message, all you soft cocks folding is just playing into their hands and will probably result in the powers that be thinking "ha, we got away with the first increase, let's up it again next year". Sort your shit out; put your bike on hold and leave it at that. (Keep it WOF'd tho'.) Jeez, no wonder they get away with this shit.

Max Preload
19th May 2010, 14:49

The breakover is 601cc anyway (the lower category is 600cc or less which means it includes 600cc). But the bike will be generally be registered at it's true capacity, not the nominal.

You almost couldn't be more wrong.

imdying
19th May 2010, 16:18
Put the rego on hold instead of letting it lapse, you can do that for freeStupid much?

The Pastor
19th May 2010, 16:32
Shit me are regos going up?

slofox
19th May 2010, 16:39
I did it today, form is an MR27

Did you just rock up to the counter and do it? No farting around?

Squiggles
19th May 2010, 16:51
Did you just rock up to the counter and do it? No farting around?

Yep, no issues just put down a date 15 months from now and twas done.

Maha
19th May 2010, 16:57

Fuck em

I would get to complacent Quasi, theres the idea floating around that when the increase comes into effect, there will be 'more than the usual' Rego/Warrant check points.

Quasievil
19th May 2010, 18:17
I would get to complacent Quasi, theres the idea floating around that when the increase comes into effect, there will be 'more than the usual' Rego/Warrant check points.

Im willing to suck on a few tickets on it mate, its the fight we all had remember, seems most have folded into the pussy NZ citizens camp

I didnt ride to welly to do what they told me

Ixion
19th May 2010, 21:48
They'd be rather stupid to start checking on 1st July. After all, the only ones that would be non-registered then, that aren't now, would be those that ran out that day. Logically they'd need to wait at least six months. It *could* be one of the things they do when they have those pre Xmas checkpoints. But , realistically, my own experience is the cops don't really care much about rego. Unless they're wound up by the pollies, or just want something to throw at an attitude-test-failure, they tend to not bother.

slofox
20th May 2010, 12:37
They'd be rather stupid to start checking on 1st July. After all, the only ones that would be non-registered then, that aren't now, would be those that ran out that day. Logically they'd need to wait at least six months. It *could* be one of the things they do when they have those pre Xmas checkpoints. But , realistically, my own experience is the cops don't really care much about rego. Unless they're wound up by the pollies, or just want something to throw at an attitude-test-failure, they tend to not bother.

I have been stopped for "reg and warrant" checks before now...no other reason at all...

miloking
20th May 2010, 13:01
Where's the solidarity here? I can recall heaps of people ranting about how they weren't gonna pay etc etc when the new fees were announced, now you're all running like pussies to the fucking rego office. HTFU! If everyone refused to pay they'd get the message, all you soft cocks folding is just playing into their hands and will probably result in the powers that be thinking "ha, we got away with the first increase, let's up it again next year". Sort your shit out; put your bike on hold and leave it at that. (Keep it WOF'd tho'.) Jeez, no wonder they get away with this shit.

Iam putting mine of hold thats for sure....(actualy i dont even have rego tag holder, lol)