PDA

View Full Version : K&N air filter for Gixxer600?

Donzzz
19th May 2010, 14:50
Greetings fellas

The recommended K&N air filter for the Suzuki GSX-R600 is the SU-7506. 2bros sell this for $189.00 in NZ !!!!! Holyeeee...

Ebay has it on for US$39.95. With delivery ($32.50) its $72.45, thats $105.00 = huge savings!

Anyone know of a cheaper deal.. Better still do I really want a kn filter?? Who has one of them and how much do you like it?

I'm favour of opening up the air intake and outlet of every vehicle you ride if not already done. It adds a few HPs and lets it breathe well.

Just after opinions...

Cheers
Donny

Cayman911
19th May 2010, 15:43
Interesting you mention this. i've come across the same issue.

Asked about one for a car, K&N seller gave me a price of $220. Online from the US with shipping to NZ was $60 NZ

is someone getting rich fast here?

Ronin
19th May 2010, 15:48
:corn: Here we go again. Ages since we have had an imported are cheaper thread.

The Pastor
19th May 2010, 15:51
k&n filters are pretty good, but they really dont do ur engine any wonders.

You can get the airflow by removing the pape rfilter and cutting all the paper out and putting in air filter foam, which is what the dirtbikes use (as its washable) again its not very good at stopping dirt and dust getting inside ur engine. This is about $30nzd. Don't bother with speical air filter oil (its just 2 stroke oil and use very little).

It must be said that i do not run any air filters / air box at all, we will see how many km my engine lasts.

The Pastor
19th May 2010, 15:51
:corn: Here we go again. Ages since we have had an imported are cheaper thread.

as long as robert taylor dosent show up we will be fine.

ROBERT WE UNDERSTAND YOUR ARGUMENT PLEASE DONT POST IT OR UR LAME AS COMMENTS AGAIN.

NinjaBoy
19th May 2010, 21:40
I have a used K&N filter that I used on the K6 racebike if you're interested in trying one out. The main advantage with the aftermarket filters is that they are washable/reusable. Stock ones are thrown away.

The K&N is much closer to a stock filter. The BMC race version allows a lot more air through. Give John at Triplezee Cycles on my sig a ring. He may have one in stock at much reduced prices.

AllanB
19th May 2010, 21:55
k&n filters are pretty good, but they really dont do ur engine any wonders.

You can get the airflow by removing the pape rfilter and cutting all the paper out and putting in air filter foam, which is what the dirtbikes use (as its washable) again its not very good at stopping dirt and dust getting inside ur engine. This is about $30nzd. Don't bother with speical air filter oil (its just 2 stroke oil and use very little).

It must be said that i do not run any air filters / air box at all, we will see how many km my engine lasts.

And your K& N comments are based on?

IMO your comments are promptly ruined by stating you don't run a filter at all - the result being every fly, bit of dust and pubic hair being sucked into your engine is used by your piston as a bore scourer.

The Pastor
19th May 2010, 22:16
And your K& N comments are based on?

IMO your comments are promptly ruined by stating you don't run a filter at all - the result being every fly, bit of dust and pubic hair being sucked into your engine is used by your piston as a bore scourer.

I read quite a good article on them, but it was probably funded by somone selling oem ones? Ruined? no I don't care about my engine in that regard, but i know about it.

Donzzz
19th May 2010, 23:36
So if there's ambiguity about the performance enhancement using an after-market filter, why should I really go in for one. I'm quite stoked with the power this gixxer cranks out anyway.

How mush do the stock air filters cost say if I have to chuck them out every 6000 kms...

Donzzz
19th May 2010, 23:39
Off topic: how the hell do I get rid of the 'L-Plate Rider' label I've been tagged with on KB??? I ride a 600 for christ sake

hayd3n
19th May 2010, 23:56
dunedin has a local filter cleaneing service
it cleans one use filters
charges me $5 for a cyclone clean
my crappy throw away filter can be cleaned up to ten times before its starts to fall apart

onearmedbandit
20th May 2010, 00:04
Off topic: how the hell do I get rid of the 'L-Plate Rider' label I've been tagged with on KB??? I ride a 600 for christ sake

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/faq.php?faq=kb_site_utitles

There's your answer to that question.

As far as the K&N goes, you will not notice any difference on your bike with the filter alone, other than you can reuse them rather than throwing them away.

SVboy
20th May 2010, 12:18
Cost me a little over $60 for an OEM filter from Avon city Suzuki in ChCh. 12000kms as per the manual and piece of mind re filtering ability. Go to a k&N with a full exhaust system , a PC3[or similar] and some dyno time and you will notice the difference, but better to spend those $$$ on suspension first. As said earlier, get the original professionally cleaned, and save even more.

imdying
20th May 2010, 12:27
So if there's ambiguity about the performance enhancement using an after-market filter, why should I really go in for one.They sound better to most people and are reusable.

These guys are very reliable: http://www.jcmotors.com/p-4586-kn-high-flow-air-filter-for-suzuki-gsxr600750-06-09.aspx

AllanB
20th May 2010, 12:35
So if there's ambiguity about the performance enhancement using an after-market filter, why should I really go in for one. I'm quite stoked with the power this gixxer cranks out anyway.

You get a cool sticker to add to your side cover - that is worth an extra 10hp when parked.

Primarily a cost thing - for a similar if not cheaper cost to a OEM filter you can get the K&N or similar and that is the only expense other than cleaning and oiling. ie they are reusable. K&N's own site will state on a stock bike their filter is a direct replacement for a stock one. I've been told you usually get a bit more intake noise barwwwwrrrrrrrr.

There are hundreds of internet experts proclaiming the pros and cons of K&N but I figure they have been around long enough now to be a proven option.

steel001
20th May 2010, 15:45
Got a K&N sent over from the States for my K7 600 about a week ago, took about 5 days to get here and cost half the price.

Would say performance gains are minimal to possibly noticeable, although it seems to rev through the range smoother and intake sounds a little louder.

Slyer
20th May 2010, 16:01
$154 at bits4bikes.
http://www.bits4bikes.co.nz/parts/suzuki/2115.aspx

Donzzz
22nd May 2010, 01:28
Thanks for all the info fellas. KB has been a wealth of info for me.
Saturday Mr Motorcycle Doctor comes over and shows me the ropes. I think I'll put the K&N on the back burner for now. What irony, geddit, backburner - when it should really be at the start of the combustion process. Sorry I'm drunk high etc... Haha I crack myself up!

Who wants to go for a long ride, tank full one way, tank full back.......!

Donzzz
23rd May 2010, 09:18
Turns out, I already had a K&N filter. The previous owner just never mentioned it. I opened the air box and there it was staring back at me. Cleaned the shit out of it. Problem solved.

Owl
23rd May 2010, 09:27
Cleaned the shit out of it. Problem solved.

Cleaned, dried and oiled I hope?

Donzzz
23rd May 2010, 21:07
Yes yes. .