PDA

View Full Version : Weekend fang to Whangamomona

Creeper
24th May 2010, 11:15
Hey all,

Got the Transalp out for a quick fang down to Whangamomona on the weekend. Stayed Saturday night at the pub, then off Sunday to chase some more gravel on the road out towards the west coast. Came out about 40ks north of New Plymouth, headed up to Awakino then thru to Marokopa & ended up at Waitomo.
Great weather till late Sunday arvo when I hit the bottom of the Kaimais then it bucketed down. Followed 4 other bikes up & over the hill....no one was keen to be a hero that evening!!
Some pics attached

cheers
Dave

wysper
24th May 2010, 11:21
Looks like you had a great time. Love that scenery!

PeteJ
24th May 2010, 11:28
Hiya, Dave. Yeah, it's a good fun ride, that loop. I used to do the heading-south bit from Tauranga en route to Dunedin in my uni days (don't ask how many decades ago...but I used to love the Tangarakau Gorge and the Whangamomona Saddle when almost all the route was unsealed), seeing how many gravel miles I could rack up on the way.

Those days, my budget allowed $70 for fuel for a uni short vacation, which could get me three times the distance that straight blats up the main road took.

Padmei
24th May 2010, 21:07
Nice pics Creeper.
I'mgotta have to get to whangamomomama one day. Hope the TA is treating you well.

Creeper
24th May 2010, 21:37
Nice pics Creeper.
I'mgotta have to get to whangamomomama one day. Hope the TA is treating you well.

Hey Padmei, TA is running sweet. such a great motor, lots of power low down pulls really strong no matter what gear.
and a oh so sweet sound when off & on the gas & thru the gears.

GPS MAN
8th June 2010, 19:54
Love those Pics:Punk:

Looks like you had a good ride:sunny:

paulmac
8th June 2010, 20:08
Hey you out of towners !! want to do wanga !! pm or ring me as I have accom etc avaliable for bikers in hawera. next time eh !

Creeper
9th June 2010, 18:09
Hey you out of towners !! want to do wanga !! pm or ring me as I have accom etc avaliable for bikers in hawera. next time eh !

thanks for the offer.......catch up next time