PDA

View Full Version : Electric Hairdryer RC8

R6_kid
26th May 2010, 21:14
Lords and wenches, I present to thee, "THE TTXO2"

Interesting name. The RC8 body work seems to work well with the idea of having an oversized powerdrill motor driving your rear wheel.

81hp, 125mph (200kmh) top speed, 40-160km range depending on throttle usage. Approximately equivalent to an F3 race bike.

Maybe mainstream electric bikes are much closer than most of us thought!

http://www.mavizen.com/

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Mavizen/Mavizen-TTX02-electric-superbike-2010-current/

Wiki Drifter
26th May 2010, 23:48
Just saw this video from the first electric superbike race. I wonder how long before an electric racing class will appear in NZ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_JlAT_sol0

Gremlin
27th May 2010, 00:56
30k in pounds? Only NZ$64k, perhaps it won't catch on that quick? Tiny range too

nudemetalz
27th May 2010, 10:24
ha ha ...he sprays the champagne after winning the race,..gets it on the racebike and shorts it out.... :rofl:

blackdog
27th May 2010, 11:28
30k in pounds? Only NZ$64k, perhaps it won't catch on that quick? Tiny range too

watch the prices fall as the technology becomes more refined and accepted

blackdog
27th May 2010, 11:31
60p ($1.20) for 80 miles. the bandit costs about 15 times that in petrol.

how long to pay for itself?

and did i mention 100% torque from zero revs?

bogan
27th May 2010, 11:43
Just saw this video from the first electric superbike race. I wonder how long before an electric racing class will appear in NZ...

good find with that vid, been looking for some this morn, apparently theres a big video with race commentary/behind the scenes etc coming in in a few days, will be well worth a watch. Interesting to note the differences between bike performance, escpecially noticeable after just watching the moto2's :lol:

edit, I enquired bout racing electrics in bucket racing, sounds like you can do it as long as you don't win too much :yes:

R6_kid
27th May 2010, 12:03

Not sure what the price is, might be US. but you are shortsighted my friend ... see below.

watch the prices fall as the technology becomes more refined and accepted

Too bad it doesn't follow the IT model of halving in price every 18mths! My guess is that it should become 'affordable' in the next 5 years tops. You still have to pay for the chassis etc, but once batteries are more powerful and come down in price then these bikes will start to become very attractive.

60p ($1.20) for 80 miles. the bandit costs about 15 times that in petrol.

how long to pay for itself?

and did i mention 100% torque from zero revs?

Exactly my point. In terms of 'fuel' economy it's crazy cheap. As is, this setup would already make an awesome commuter - perhaps put the same powerplant into a GS500 frame?

I like the fact that you can put this same power plant into your favourite chassis and then just replace/upgrade the batteries/controllers/motors/OS as they improve and increase in performance. It's kind of like upgrading your computer as better componentry becomes available!

bogan
27th May 2010, 12:08
I like the fact that you can put this same power plant into your favourite chassis and then just replace/upgrade the batteries/controllers/motors/OS as they improve and increase in performance. It's kind of like upgrading your computer as better componentry becomes available!

it is bloody easy to do it yourself if you are mechanically minded, all the electronics just plug together if you buy the right ones, don't do what i did and design them all yourself unless you really wanna learn how it all works. 5k + donor bike would get you a pretty sweet setup (100kmhr and 100k range sorta figures).

R6_kid
27th May 2010, 13:30
A friend of mine converted a Hilux from Diesel to electric for his final year engineering project. I think it cost him $8k all up, the motor in the ute was already dying so they were due to replace it anyway.

It's now up over 30k on the clock with the new electric motor. Top speed of 160kmh, range is about 120km with normal driving. It's now his dads daily driver/farm hack, uses standard plug socket in the wall for charging and costs about $4 for a full charge. It's slightly down on max power compared to the diesel but that 100% torque from 0rpm has really been the kicker when it comes to usability around the farm. Not bad for a first build.

onearmedbandit
27th May 2010, 13:48
Loving it. Good idea with the ute too.

schrodingers cat
27th May 2010, 14:53
Clever idea to do it all as open source software and use competitive racing brains to de-bug it all. For sure no one will share their latest configs but anything 2 -3 generations earlier will still be a step up on the factory stuff.
I wonder if part of the 'support' arrangment is to share control software ideas?

I notice a lot of people get (overly?) excited about 100% torque from 0 rpm. Personally I don't think that is condusive to traction in a low grip situation. Once the traction control/slip % stuff is sorted having the POTENTIAL there is exciting.

Also think some GPS connectivity (10 - 20Hz) would open a raft of options...

Gremlin
27th May 2010, 14:57
price came from mcn I think. Get back to me when they can handle a solid 400 km stretch. Well, it still takes hours to charge, so that's still a pain. Needs a good 1700km range then

AllanB
27th May 2010, 15:02
The Moto GP rule makers will shit themselves when it gets to the stage that the electric ones are as or faster than the combustion bikes. Just how will they regulate them - fuel limits are irrelevant unless they regulate the batteries!

bogan
27th May 2010, 15:06
The Moto GP rule makers will shit themselves when it gets to the stage that the electric ones are as or faster than the combustion bikes. Just how will they regulate them - fuel limits are irrelevant unless they regulate the batteries!

there is already some talk of establishing some fixed energy racing, give them X joules in whatever form, petrol, electricity, kenetic (flywheels), pnuematic..... I think that'd be pretty cool to get going as it would increase the development of feul efficient but high perfoming vehicles, and kers (kenetic energy recovery system) would be a must :yes:

McWild
27th May 2010, 18:17

I actually think it would work really well. MotoGP bikes are limited to weight at the moment anyway, and I could see it going a similar direction as Moto2 - homologation engine, works frame. If they limited the outright power the engines made, but took away weight restrictions then I could see some fantastic technology filtering down to road bikes.

It's harder to lose weight than to gain horsepower but imo way more satisfying.

R6_kid
27th May 2010, 18:29
price came from mcn I think. Get back to me when they can handle a solid 400 km stretch. Well, it still takes hours to charge, so that's still a pain. Needs a good 1700km range then

Come back when you are in a financial position to have everything served on a silver platter.

Gremlin
27th May 2010, 18:35
Come back when you are in a financial position to have everything served on a silver platter.
Considering my supermoto can already do 400km+ with the extra tank, and takes less than 10 min to fill, and doesn't cost NZ$64k... hell yeah... the tech is a little way off :bleh:

bogan
27th May 2010, 18:38
Considering my supermoto can already do 400km+ with the extra tank, and takes less than 10 min to fill, and doesn't cost NZ$64k... hell yeah... the tech is a little way off :bleh:

yeh, but how many kms do you get for a dollar? 20 if youre lucky, try over a hundy for electric, your tech is antiquated bro :bleh:

R6_kid
27th May 2010, 18:44
yeh, but how many kms do you get for a dollar? 20 if youre lucky, try over a hundy for electric, your tech is antiquated bro :bleh:

Don't worry mate. I've known for a long time that his logic out of whack.

If you didn't notice Gremlin, this is actually a race bike. So doesn't need to do 400km+. Also it's basically mk1, I'm pretty sure the mk1 of the 'adventure motorcycle' had far less range and far less power than this beastie. There are already some pretty successful electric enduro bikes. I think if you kitted out a BMW 1200GS with these electric motors and batteries to the same weight it'd do a half decent job of living up to at least some of what you are asking.

Gremlin
27th May 2010, 19:15
I don't count the petrol version... it would scare me. The way the greenies are scaring me saying its running out, I figure I should get my share before it does run out :ride:

R6, actually, its stated as a production superbike, so not a race bike. Using the GS as an example, it literally has enough power to run a fridge. Simply put, I don't think this will be practical for a few years yet. That time frame will change subject to environmental factors, scarcity and priority. They're hardly targetting the average commuter with a 200kph top speed, so it ain't really practical yet.

Wiki Drifter
27th May 2010, 19:31
Race application of electric bikes will precede road application by many years I predict.

I'm looking forward to riding an over-sized electric drill around the track. Don't really care about long distance riding, the technology will get there eventually though.

(Somebody should dredge this post up in 10 years time.) :shifty:

marty
27th May 2010, 19:47

(Somebody should dredge this post up in 10 years time.) :shifty:

this is KB - someone will!

R6_kid
27th May 2010, 20:55
They're hardly targetting the average commuter with a 200kph top speed, so it ain't really practical yet.
You missed my point. How many people do you know that do 160km worth of commuting in a single day? More to the point, how many people do you know that commute less than 160km one way and then sit in a building all day while the bike can be outside on charge? As it stands, after being road registered, it could do the job very well - albeit being an expensive buy in. Like I said, put the same tech in a GS500 or 250 Ninja frame to bring costs down and it'll probably pay itself off soon enough.

Electric scooters are already starting to show up for this exact reason - the Vectrix (http://www.vectrix.com/) comes in at about $16,000NZD and is comparable to a Burgman 650 in terms of power, but lacking a bit when it comes to range.
There are many other options which are much cheaper in price, and when you start thinking 'what do I need' rather than 'what do I want' they actually make a lot of sense.

Gremlin
27th May 2010, 21:15
I will clock up 130-160km in a busy day... and its constantly around the city, ie, not sitting in an office, and the bike is able to charge.

R6_kid
27th May 2010, 22:26
I will clock up 130-160km in a busy day... and its constantly around the city, ie, not sitting in an office, and the bike is able to charge.

Ok, so what you're actually saying is that this technology given 1-2 years worth of development, in the right chassis, would actually suit you and save you money in the long run.

The Pastor
27th May 2010, 22:42
when every one has electic powerd cars/bikes/busses/trains etc etc etc wont the price of power go up dramaticly?

R6_kid
27th May 2010, 23:16
when every one has electic powerd cars/bikes/busses/trains etc etc etc wont the price of power go up dramaticly?

Only if supply is insufficient to meet demand. Of course by then we'll have hopefully made the move to renewable energy sources so prices should stabilise.

breakaway
28th May 2010, 01:28
With a bike that has no fuel in the tank, it takes one minute to gas it right back up and you're back on the road. How long does it take to charge up those batteries?

bogan
28th May 2010, 08:57
With a bike that has no fuel in the tank, it takes one minute to gas it right back up and you're back on the road. How long does it take to charge up those batteries?

some have ridiculous rates which are measured in minutes, but for the most part it is measured in hours, however if batteries are produced in a standard format, leasing them from 'petrol' stations and swapping the empty unit out for a full one would work nicely.

The Pastor
28th May 2010, 09:52
Only if supply is insufficient to meet demand. Of course by then we'll have hopefully made the move to renewable energy sources so prices should stabilise.

I wish i had your optimism

bogan
28th May 2010, 09:56

in other countries it might work, but in this one theres always a bunch of whinging hippies willing to oppose hydrodams, wind farms, and the conventional ones as well of course.

imdying
28th May 2010, 11:35
You missed my point. How many people do you know that do 160km worth of commuting in a single day?I know of over one hundred thousand in one city alone, although some of them go a little less, and some a little more, than 160km.

R6_kid
28th May 2010, 11:47
I know of over one hundred thousand in one city alone, although some of them go a little less, and some a little more, than 160km.

Bugger that. What city would that be?

Most of Northern Europe is already going that way. Once I get my shit together and start earning a fair bit more than $40k a year I hope to end up with a property where I can generate most of my electrictity needs without the need to draw from the national grid. It'll take a bit of thinking and some dedication but in the grand scheme of things it's not that hard.

in other countries it might work, but in this one theres always a bunch of whinging hippies willing to oppose hydrodams, wind farms, and the conventional ones as well of course.

Yep, good ol' NZ, where we're clean and green - unless it's not natural or doesn't fit with the landscape, in which case we'll stick to coal or gas fired power stations.

Urano
7th June 2010, 07:47
I hope to end up with a property where I can generate most of my electrictity needs without the need to draw from the national grid. It'll take a bit of thinking and some dedication but in the grand scheme of things it's not that hard.

i agree.
using a little brain today is possible to have solutions for almost all the needs.
heating/cooling needs could be satisfied with statothermal (uhm... statothermal... i don't know if it's the right word... anyway: those probes to put down in the earth till a hundred meters under the houses...), electrical could be coped with solar or wind, remains the gas to cook... but you have no sympathy for gas kitchens, so i think that electrical could be a good solution too..

Yep, good ol' NZ, where we're clean and green - unless it's not natural or doesn't fit with the landscape, in which case we'll stick to coal or gas fired power stations.

actually...
it's a bit surprising to me... you are so green oriented, so concerned about environment and you use coat and oil?
same as your politics about public transport: i expected a huge railway net, easy train transport, subways, city services...
it's something i understand from the fuckin italy, not you...

bogan
7th June 2010, 10:54
actually...
it's a bit surprising to me... you are so green oriented, so concerned about environment and you use coat and oil?
same as your politics about public transport: i expected a huge railway net, easy train transport, subways, city services...
it's something i understand from the fuckin italy, not you...

yeh, the whole green oriented thing is a tourist ploy I reckon, all the hydro and wind shit is just done cos its cheap, so is coal, so we have both, public tranport ain't cheap and removes fuel tax revenue, so what we have is shit! bikers getting shafted for the same reason. But still tell all your friends how clean and green it is over here, we need the tourism dollars :P

BMWST?
7th June 2010, 11:45
Bugger that. What city would that be?

Most of Northern Europe is already going that way. Once I get my shit together and start earning a fair bit more than $40k a year I hope to end up with a property where I can generate most of my electrictity needs without the need to draw from the national grid. It'll take a bit of thinking and some dedication but in the grand scheme of things it's not that hard.

its been done....i saw a magazine once(handyman?) where the motor from a gentle annie is used as a generator(alternator?) in a small hydro power station.Some solar water heating,led lights,solar panels/batteries/windmill, and a pellet burner or high efficiency wood burner and you would be right.Cooking would be a pain unless you microwaved everything