PDA

View Full Version : New thread/posting problems

SpankMe
24th May 2005, 22:06
A number a people are still having problems starting new threads. If you are still having problems please let me know here.

Also have you tried the following?
Different thread title/search key
Different browser
Different PC
Different ISP
Force a refresh [ctrl]-[f5] (IE only)
Clear your cache
Log off & clear cookies.
Disable firewall/virus scan software

To try isolate the problem let me know what ISP, browser your using.

FROSTY
24th May 2005, 22:13
Im using 2 puters and have 2 isp's Posting has got really slow lately and sometimes threads arent opening at all

riffer
24th May 2005, 22:29
FWIW, I had massive problems when you were in Thailand SpankMe.

I used four different computers:

1. an eMac running OS 10.3.9 & Firefox (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0), and Internet Explorer (5.2.1 (4717)) - ISP Citylink

2. a G4-400 running OS 10.3.9 & Firefox (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0), and Internet Explorer (5.2.1 (4717)) - ISP Paradise

3. a Compaq Deskpro DP-ENS (Pentium III/500 Windows XP SP2 all updates) using Firefox (latest PC version) - ISP Paradise

4. an Acer Extensa 366T (Pentium 233/Windows 2000 SP6 all updates) using Firefox (latest PC version) - ISP Paradise

In the end I registered a new account. This worked fine. Wari then moved over all the stuff from celticno6 account.

Macs are running the standard (bundled) mac firewall software. The PC's - the Compaq uses Zone Alarm Pro, the Acer Zone Alarm Free version.

I can rule out the firewalls I guess as the new account fixed the problem; likewise the browsers.

I tried everything other than actually deinstalling the browser and reinstalling it.

Hope this helps (but I doubt it :no: )

Simon

sAsLEX
24th May 2005, 23:42
I really feel for Spank as I asm writing a simple forum thing in python and html at the mo and it aint easy! trying to manage an entity as large as KB would be soo much work, much respect.

bugjuice
25th May 2005, 09:18
yup, big-up respek to Spank.. but I'm still havin probs..

Tried to post a new thread at home and at work, and get nothing.
Both home and work are Macs, tried FireFox (my usual), Safari and IE (all latest versions) and they don't work. My ISP at home is clear.net and work is clear.co.nz. Never had a problem until yesterday. I can still reply to posts, just can't make new ones.
Tried all of the above too..

Bob
2nd June 2005, 00:32
Just trying to post... only to get the very slow screen refresh, then the screen just whiting out and doing nothing after getting to the 'newthread.php' stage.

If anyone else has pointed this out, apologies for wasting time, but if not, looks like the problem is rearing it's ugly head once again.

Bob
2nd June 2005, 03:30
A number a people are still having problems starting new threads. If you are still having problems please let me know here.

Also have you tried the following?
Different thread title/search key
Different browser
Different PC
Different ISP
Force a refresh [ctrl]-[f5] (IE only)
Clear your cache
Log off & clear cookies.
Disable firewall/virus scan software

To try isolate the problem let me know what ISP, browser your using.

As I was trying to post from work (!), I couldn't try disabling firewall etc - and if I was at home, I wouldn't DARE try that (we've been hacked once and ended up having to prevent a fraud happening!)

I did, however, try changing the title, mixing up what I was typing and cut/pasting. I've also logged out and in again, including leaving it for a good couple of hours.

I will, if I get time, try posting the message again from home this evening.

I wonder if, once the problem occurs in one forum, if it is "remembered"? So you can enter messages in another forum (which I've been able to do), but no joy with the first one.

I will try a test message in News and let you know if it works.

Bob
2nd June 2005, 03:33
Well a manually typed test message got in - so I tried re-inputting the previous message... and got the "newthread.php" problem again.

So it seems to be remembering the message that fails.

SpankMe
3rd June 2005, 19:15
I think I've solved the thread posting problem. Let me know if anyone still has a problem.