PDA

View Full Version : Highway Patrol targets.

Lou Girardin
18th November 2003, 07:28
How about that moron in Hastings taking a shot at the HP guy. They piss me off, but not enough to shoot them.
We're becoming more like Yanks all the time, I blame it on TV:beer:

jrandom
18th November 2003, 09:19
Sounds like he's quite upset about something. Perhaps having his firearms license revoked after he confronted burglars with a gun made him a bit sour. I think *I'd* be spewing if that happened.

I wouldn't actually go shooting at the cops, though. And if I did feel that bad about it and wanted revenge or summat, I wouldn't be dumb enough to plug a cop right after he'd run a scan on my license, with his partner watching from the patrol car...

The main problem with criminals is that they're mostly rather stupid.

jrandom
18th November 2003, 09:25
hmmmm

and another thing.

Just remembering the article in the Herald about it, it seemed that when the HP guy ran a query on his license, it popped up with a note that he'd had a firearms license revoked.

Now what the *hell* does that have to do with his driver's license? Does all this stuff go back to a big central mother computer that hooks everything up and tells the traffic cop about the restraining order taken out on you six months ago, the firearms license you lost, the fine you had to pay when they found you with some dope in your car last year and the trouble you got into when you attempted to buy booze at age 17?

Dunno if I like that idea.

No wonder they take so long in the car with your license when pulling you over, they're having a good chuckle at your entire life's history while you sweat and wait for the damage!

Bastards.

750Y
18th November 2003, 09:37
Originally posted by jrandom
hmmmm

and another thing.

Just remembering the article in the Herald about it, it seemed that when the HP guy ran a query on his license, it popped up with a note that he'd had a firearms license revoked.

Now what the *hell* does that have to do with his driver's license? Does all this stuff go back to a big central mother computer that hooks everything up and tells the traffic cop about the restraining order taken out on you six months ago, the firearms license you lost, the fine you had to pay when they found you with some dope in your car last year and the trouble you got into when you attempted to buy booze at age 17?

Dunno if I like that idea.

No wonder they take so long in the car with your license when pulling you over, they're having a good chuckle at your entire life's history while you sweat and wait for the damage!

Bastards.

lol, but yeah, big brother is getting bigger & more 'intelligent'.

Slim
18th November 2003, 09:59
Originally posted by jrandom
They don't, actually. It takes quite a while to fill out those tickets, and sometimes dispatch is too busy to get back to them straight away with the licence/rego details.

Have you not heard of the Wanganui Police Computer? Do they still use that, btw?

MikeL
18th November 2003, 10:24
Originally posted by Slim

Have you not heard of the Wanganui Police Computer? Do they still use that, btw?

Good question. There was a big stink about the budget blow-out on the new police computer system (INCIS or something like that?) and I think they ended up abandoning it. Am I right? What has taken its place?

riffer
18th November 2003, 10:39
I'm not sure if they actually abandoned it.

From what I know the INCIS system was originally set up to be run using a Netware system or similar, which was the prevailing system at the time, as Windows was not big in the corporate environment. Anyway, I can't really recall which system it was, its not important - what was important was that the team which worked on the project nearly had it completed and running well and the Information Management at Police signed a major agreement with Microsoft for the provision of software etc, and, of course, Incis would not run on the Windows system.

So the programmers were faced with the mammoth task of re-engineering the system for a new OS. And of course, it was easy for the Police management to put the blame on the programmers because well not many people really understand how computers programs are written, let alone how to use them.

Add to that the Labour government taking over while this was all going on, and the massive restructuring that was going on in the public service, and its not hard to see how the whole thing got f(**$#d up.

Just another case of how the fish rots from the head first.

jrandom
18th November 2003, 10:42
Originally posted by Slim
It takes quite a while to fill out those tickets

Really? Always looked like name, address, rego, trumped-up reason for road user tax and a scrawled fine amount to me...

But hey, I'm a nice guy, so the next cop who pulls me over will have my express permission to avoid the bother of filling out the nasty complicated form :D

jrandom
18th November 2003, 10:47
Originally posted by celticno6
... originally set up to be run using a Netware system or similar ... Information Management at Police signed a major agreement with Microsoft for the provision of software

Very interesting. I didn't know that. If that is indeed the case then shame on whoever was responsible. Not that they'll ever be held accountable for the wasted resources.

I do recall hearing several stories about requirement specs endlessly changing when stuff was almost complete, but nothing of quite that boneheaded magnitude.

duckman
18th November 2003, 12:54
I was working for IBM at the time of the INCIS debacle. The whole thing was supposed to run on midrange gear (AS/400, SUN, UNIX) then some idiot decided to try it on a cheaper platform. (Windows) The whole thing became a political shit fight and the swapped the INCIS system through the trade and exchange for a nice new PS2. (with two free games)

:p

Lou Girardin
18th November 2003, 14:43
All sorts of things are flagged when the cops do a query person or vehicle. I don't think it would be wise to yell bang at the next cop to pull you over though.
Revoking your firearms licence because you tried to protect your property is a bit crap. He should have blown their heads off and made it worthwhile.
Lou

marty
18th November 2003, 19:27
be very careful what you speculate on until or unless you know the whole picture. trial by media is a dangerous thing. firearms licences are usually revoked for domestic reasons, it is a mandatory thing if a domestic protection order is taken out against you - you have to go back to court to get it back.

on being 'flagged' in wanganui (now called LES - law enforcement system, but still known as wanganui), there are a multitude of things that people can be flagged for, drugs, knives, assaults police, suicide risk, firearms etc. you don't get flagged automatically, only after a request is made for it to be done, there are precurser events that have to take place to be flagged, and your minor in a bar, shoplifting, or even burglary conviction isn't one of them. they are safety-related issues.

the wanganui computer used to be run by the govt, and had many systems attached to it - police, mot, justice, driver licencing. each dept had it's own specific access and depth of information. it was split up and sold to private, and moved from wanganui about 10 years ago i think. justice have now distanced themselves completely from LES, and have their own system. i think LTSA have also. police are in the process of shifting over to a pared down version of INCIS called NIA - all intel notings and stolen property is recorded in NIA now, people and vehicles are searchable as they are on LES, however the comms centres are still using LES as their primary query system.

wanganui/LES is an old system, but it is extremely reliable, and fast.

Nouseforaname
18th November 2003, 19:58
The last time i got pulled by the cops, for some reason the cop new all about my past.

I was caught speeding, instantly pulled to the side of the road and had my details waiting for the copper.

She came back and hit me up about stuff that i had done a few years ago, stupid things ya do when ya younger but nothing major.

I have always wondered why she queried me about that shit(and how she knew), when i only got pulled for speeding?

marty
18th November 2003, 20:10
Originally posted by Nouseforaname

I have always wondered why she queried me about that shit(and how she knew), when i only got pulled for speeding?

that's the unanswerable question dude. maybe she thought you looked yummy, and ran a quick check to see if you were a suitable date.

it takes less than 30 seconds to do the 3 transactions on LES to check your criminal or traffic history if your vehicle/bike is registered to you.

vehicle check, 5 seconds
person check, 10 seconds
history check, 10 seconds.

an on-to-it comms operator may do those checks without being asked, especially if it is quiet or your vehicle has been previously queried (add another 5 seconds).

the only way to make it harder is be called john smith, li wong chi or abdul singh, not be able to remember your birthday, and have your bike registered to a company name

marty
18th November 2003, 20:12
or a name like this guy - spell this when you're pissed.....(NZ Herald today)

Lid lifted on potential multi-million-dollar tax scam

18.11.2003 3.50 pm

The lid has been lifted on a potential multi-million-dollar scam involving immigrant workers following the successful prosecution of an Indian contractor on tax evasion charges worth more than $300,000.

Vishuuvardhan Polishetty, 27, a company director, formerly of Te Puke, was yesterday jailed for 2-1/2 years on two counts of tax evasion.

Nouseforaname
18th November 2003, 20:16
Agh ok, i just thought it would take longer to do a bckground check on someone, but that solves that little riddle for me....... cheers Marty:D

Im glad she didnt think i was yummy, cos she was heinous:2thumbsup

marty
18th November 2003, 20:23
LOL - there are some fuglies dude that's for sure.

MikeL
18th November 2003, 20:50
Do speed camera offences get recorded on the same system??

marty
18th November 2003, 21:20
yes they are, however it takes a bit of looking to find them, and in the big picture, camera tickets are only a means of revenue gathering. the main issue is that the rego of the bike is recorded in the query log system for a week or so, which can ring alarm bells until the operator checks and sees it was checked by the camera office.

Marmoot
18th November 2003, 21:38
Just occured to me.....if someone has a high suicidal tendency and flagged in the computer, then the cop might find out when checking his history upon pulling him over.......
then.....may be the cop would decide to set him free instead of giving him a ticket and drive him into suicide?
:p

(that would make the flag worthwhile to get, eh?)

marty
18th November 2003, 21:54
it could do, until you got arrested and spent the night in the secure cell in a paper jump suit, with the light on and a jailer sitting outside your cell checking on you every 10 minutes, or you were sent up to the henry bennett centre/(can't remember the mental hospital at auckland hosp.) for assessment........ :)

Lou Girardin
19th November 2003, 07:26
One report in the Herald said that the shooter made a citizens arrest of two burglars at gunpoint and walked them down the street. How dare he protect his property. Doesn't he know that theft is mere redistribution of wealth? The Govt does it and calls it tax.
Lou

Marmoot
20th November 2003, 16:43
Burglary = taxation without reasonable justification.

Tax = Burglary with reasonable justification (i.e., law)