PDA

View Full Version : Passing on the no passing yellow lines?

frogman3
1st June 2010, 11:49
What is the penalty for passing on the no passing yellow lines?

red mermaid
1st June 2010, 11:55
$150............

oldrider
1st June 2010, 12:00
Wouldn't that be classed as dangerous driving?

Hiflyer
1st June 2010, 12:03
Oh god here we go.

neels
1st June 2010, 12:06
Death?....

Coldrider
1st June 2010, 12:09
I thought there was only a penalty if you are caught, and are found guilty on way or another.

red mermaid
1st June 2010, 12:14
Not necessarily, depends on time, place, and circumstances.

Ixion
1st June 2010, 12:18

Thou art old like me, Father William. It used to be, 28 day loss of licence. Not now.

Nasty
1st June 2010, 12:43

If you don't cross the line it is quite legal. Did you bother doing a site search there are many discussions on this topic.

TimeOut
1st June 2010, 13:40
$150............

+ 35 demits

CookMySock
1st June 2010, 13:58
$150............That all???

Wouldn't that be classed as dangerous driving?No, coz it's not dangerous. :lol:

Steve

Zerker
1st June 2010, 14:23
if you pass without crossing the lines, the penalty is nothing.
yellow lines are do not cross lines, not do not pass.

No-passing line (http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/motorcycle-road-code/about-riding/passing.html)

On some sections of road there will be a solid yellow line painted on your side of the centre line. This line is called a no-passing line. (http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/motorcycle-road-code/about-riding/passing.html)
No-passing lines are usually there because it's unsafe to cross the centre line to pass, because features like hills and curves make it impossible to see if there is oncoming traffic. (http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/motorcycle-road-code/about-riding/passing.html)
Sometimes no-passing lines are marked because: (http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/motorcycle-road-code/about-riding/passing.html)

there is already a passing lane on your side of the road and you must use that to pass (http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/motorcycle-road-code/about-riding/passing.html)
the road is multi-laned, so you do not need to cross the no-passing line to pass. (http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/motorcycle-road-code/about-riding/passing.html)

You must not pass another vehicle if it means you have to cross over a no-passing line on your side of the centre line. (http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/motorcycle-road-code/about-riding/passing.html)
If you see a dashed yellow line on your side of the centre line, that means that a no-passing line is about to start. While you may come back over the dashed yellow line to finish passing, you must not cross it to start passing. (http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/motorcycle-road-code/about-riding/passing.html)
(http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/motorcycle-road-code/about-riding/passing.html)

Max Preload
1st June 2010, 16:34

And only the one on your side applies to you. It's amazing how many people don't know that - you can tell because they say dumb shit like "overtaking on double yellows".

No, coz it's not dangerous. :lol:

Yeah, like driving through a red light. $150 and no demerits because that's safer than driving at 120km/h in a 100km/h zone with good visibility and a fucking great concrete barrier or wide grassed median between you and oncoming vehicles.

The law is an arse. It becomes more of an arse when it is designed to accomodate numpties who want a definite line drawn between what's 'safe' and what's not - it's easy to read a speedometer - not so easy to judge whether you looked before changing lane.

frogman3
1st June 2010, 16:38
Ok i found the law:

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2004/0427/latest/DLM303051.html?search=qs_all%40act%40bill%40regula tion_no+passing_resel&p=1

Doesn't say what the penalty is though. Where would i find that?

Ixion
1st June 2010, 16:39
Same place, Offences and Penalties Regulations. Be warned its a really shitty layout.

marty
1st June 2010, 16:46
it's in schedule 1A - 4th column

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/1999/0099/latest/DLM280128.html?search=ts_regulation_transport_rese l&p=1

p.dath
1st June 2010, 16:49
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/wiki/Offences_and_Penalties

Max Preload
1st June 2010, 17:26
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/wiki/Offences_and_Penalties

Jesus, enough of the fucking Wiki links already, pee-daft.

p.dath
1st June 2010, 17:29
Jesus, enough of the fucking Wiki links already, pee-daft.

The Wiki has information on many common things asked that pertain to NZ. Rather than endlessly repeating the same thing a simple link can be posted.

caseye
1st June 2010, 18:26
The Wiki has information on many common things asked that pertain to NZ. Rather than endlessly repeating the same thing a simple link can be posted.

I do have an issue with "the wiki' , hey p dath, it's written and rewritten by numpties who don't always know the truth or essence of a subject and therefore is quite often wrong.
However, it's not a bad starting point of reference.
When are we going to go see the AA again mate?

p.dath
1st June 2010, 18:37
I do have an issue with "the wiki' , hey p dath, it's written and rewritten by numpties who don't always know the truth or essence of a subject and therefore is quite often wrong.
However, it's not a bad starting point of reference.
When are we going to go see the AA again mate?

Can you give me one example from the Wiki that is like this?
EDIT: Most of the "good stuff" is here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/wiki/Category:Riding_New_Zealand.

There is nothing coming up at the AA for the moment. I was thinking of starting a thread about driver licencing, and how we could improve it ... and the AA is the primary driver licencing agency in NZ ... and I have also met the head of this agency ...

rustic101
1st June 2010, 19:03
And while talking of Yellow lines look at these:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3763995/Are-these-New-Zealands-worst-drivers

This is a bit of a hazard for all motorists...

BoristheBiter
1st June 2010, 19:12
And only the one on your side applies to you. It's amazing how many people don't know that - you can tell because they say dumb shit like "overtaking on double yellows".

Yeah, like driving through a red light. $150 and no demerits because that's safer than driving at 120km/h in a 100km/h zone with good visibility and a fucking great concrete barrier or wide grassed median between you and oncoming vehicles.

The law is an arse. It becomes more of an arse when it is designed to accomodate numpties who want a definite line drawn between what's 'safe' and what's not - it's easy to read a speedometer - not so easy to judge whether you looked before changing lane.

:violin:
the law is an arse, blablabla, speeding doesn't kill, blalblabla, i'm gods gift to riding, blablabla.
Get some new material.

The Stranger
1st June 2010, 19:21

[/URL]

So what does one do on Royal View road or Don Buck rd when a vehicle is parked on the side of the road (which is pretty much all the time)?
For those that aren't westies these are reasonably busy roads with a single lane in each direction and most or all of the road is yellow lines down the middle. It would be impossible for a car to use Royal View rd any day without crossing the yellows due to parked cars.

red mermaid
1st June 2010, 19:23
If the cars are parked, you are not passing them.

Scuba_Steve
1st June 2010, 19:25

Nothing, its only illegal if you cross the yellow line.

Zerker
1st June 2010, 20:03
So what does one do on Royal View road or Don Buck rd when a vehicle is parked on the side of the road (which is pretty much all the time)?
For those that aren't westies these are reasonably busy roads with a single lane in each direction and most or all of the road is yellow lines down the middle. It would be impossible for a car to use Royal View rd any day without crossing the yellows due to parked cars.

yup, it's not considered passing if the vehicle is parked, and it is only the act of crossing the yellow line while performing a passing maneuver that is an offense, though not staying within your lane is also an offense, so crossing the yellow without a good reason would be dangerous driving

Genie
1st June 2010, 20:06
Every day when i pull into my driveway i cause motorists to cross the yellow line outside my house...think the police would have a right fun time if they sat there. I try to pull in as fast as possible so as not to cause them to cross the line, it's quite scarey as I'm also on a corner .....

red mermaid
1st June 2010, 20:09
Have you ever thought of pulling over and stopping before your driveway, letting the following cars pass and then pulling into your driveway once there is no one behind you?

CookMySock
1st June 2010, 20:18
The law is an arse. It becomes more of an arse when it is designed to accomodate numpties who want a definite line drawn between what's 'safe' and what's notI reckon. It worries me when people want things like lane splitting "clarified", all because it worries them. All we need is another fucking rule making things "clearer". :no:

The Wiki has information on many common things asked that pertain to NZ. Rather than endlessly repeating the same thing a simple link can be posted.We like endlessly repeating the same thing! :lol:

the law is an arse, blablabla, speeding doesn't kill, blalblabla, i'm gods gift to riding, blablabla.
Get some new material.It is you who needs new material. The same old "abuse people so you feel better" is particularly poor behaviour. Stop being an asshole.

Steve

BoristheBiter
1st June 2010, 20:21
It is you who needs new material. The same old "abuse people so you feel better" is particularly poor behaviour. Stop being an asshole.

Steve

It's because i have been to the dangerous bastard school of posting.

Max Preload
1st June 2010, 21:14
Get some new material.

Here ya go then: go fuck yourself, cock.

red mermaid
1st June 2010, 21:28
I think I've said it before, but the mere fact you crossed a yellow no passing line would not constitute dangerous driving.

It requires more than that in relation to time, place, and circumstances.

yup, it's not considered passing if the vehicle is parked, and it is only the act of crossing the yellow line while performing a passing maneuver that is an offense, though not staying within your lane is also an offense, so crossing the yellow without a good reason would be dangerous driving

oldrider
1st June 2010, 23:29
And while talking of Yellow lines look at these:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3763995/Are-these-New-Zealands-worst-drivers

This is a bit of a hazard for all motorists...

I honestly believe that this is the single worst behaviour of motorists in New Zealand, "not keeping left" appropriately! :yes:

oldrider
1st June 2010, 23:36
I think I've said it before, but the mere fact you crossed a yellow no passing line would not constitute dangerous driving.

It requires more than that in relation to time, place, and circumstances.

Are you trying to tell us that you guys have discretionary powers back again?

I thought your bosses had instructed you to book the maximum every time!

Or was that just while Liabour were in power! :mellow:

red mermaid
2nd June 2010, 08:53
This has got nothing to do with our bosses.

A dangerous driving charge goes to court and is subject to an objective examination by a Judge.

And there has never ever in my living memory been an instruction to 'book the maximum every time.'

Are you trying to tell us that you guys have discretionary powers back again?

I thought your bosses had instructed you to book the maximum every time!

Or was that just while Liabour were in power! :mellow:

BoristheBiter
2nd June 2010, 09:19
This has got nothing to do with our bosses.

A dangerous driving charge goes to court and is subject to an objective examination by a Judge.

And there has never ever in my living memory been an instruction to 'book the maximum every time.'

I wouldn't waste your time.
I have found since my last thread that no matter what you say these fucktards will go on believing and spouting the same old shit as they have always done because it suits their ideological ranting.

red mermaid
2nd June 2010, 10:02
Yeah, I know but they can't say they haven't been told how it really is and sometimes you can score a wind up and someone will go off on a rant and restore my faith.

Coldrider
2nd June 2010, 10:15
Have you ever thought of pulling over and stopping before your driveway, letting the following cars pass and then pulling into your driveway once there is no one behind you?I thought that is what indicators and brake lights are for, but now we have to give way and drive for people behind us.

red mermaid
2nd June 2010, 10:20
No, its called defensive driving.

Unless you enjoy having your car smacked up, arguing with the insurance company, finding a good panelbeater, waiting for him to get parts and then wondering if your car will be repaired as good as it was before the crash.

And here was me thinking that from all the gospel on here, KBers were the original defensive drivers.

Coldrider
2nd June 2010, 10:25
No, its called defensive driving.

Unless you enjoy having your car smacked up, arguing with the insurance company, finding a good panelbeater, waiting for him to get parts and then wondering if your car will be repaired as good as it was before the crash.

And here was me thinking that from all the gospel on here, KBers were the original defensive drivers.Really, and heres me thinking your creating law.

red mermaid
2nd June 2010, 10:37
Parliament creates law, and as you indicated in this case the following vehicle would most likely be at fault in law, but that doesn't solve your problems with a smashed car and getting it repaired.

Really, and heres me thinking your creating law.

Genie
2nd June 2010, 11:51
Have you ever thought of pulling over and stopping before your driveway, letting the following cars pass and then pulling into your driveway once there is no one behind you?

If you could but see then you would know that is in no way possible, there is no room. Oh i could mount the footpath but then I'd most likely kill a pedestian....

Coldrider
2nd June 2010, 12:12
If you could but see then you would know that is in no way possible, there is no room. Oh i could mount the footpath but then I'd most likely kill a pedestian....The powers that be are incorrectly using yellow lines as traffic calming tools, as that is the cheapest option, not necessarily the correct option.

Genie
2nd June 2010, 12:21
The powers that be are incorrectly using yellow lines as traffic calming tools, as that is the cheapest option, not necessarily the correct option.

I think that would end up being counterproductive....

Coming back form Motueka the other day I was stuck behind Granpa with his foot down...doing 70k. I was unable to pass as it was double yellow lines....the road is flat with visiiblitly being clear yet one cannot overtake....by the time I could get past darling Granpa there were and additional 15 or so cars!!!! I would guess that of the 15 cars at least one driver would be getting his/her grump on will then overtake in a dangerous manner.

Coldrider
2nd June 2010, 12:45

Coming back form Motueka the other day I was stuck behind Granpa with his foot down...doing 70k. I was unable to pass as it was double yellow lines....the road is flat with visiiblitly being clear yet one cannot overtake....by the time I could get past darling Granpa there were and additional 15 or so cars!!!! I would guess that of the 15 cars at least one driver would be getting his/her grump on will then overtake in a dangerous manner.How far from completion is the new expressway from Mot ?

Genie
2nd June 2010, 13:03
expressway...hahahaha.

Not sure but I did read that it is ahead of schedule.

oldrider
2nd June 2010, 23:38

Coming back form Motueka the other day I was stuck behind Granpa with his foot down...doing 70k. I was unable to pass as it was double yellow lines....the road is flat with visiiblitly being clear yet one cannot overtake....by the time I could get past darling Granpa there were and additional 15 or so cars!!!! I would guess that of the 15 cars at least one driver would be getting his/her grump on will then overtake in a dangerous manner.

That was me, I thought you were giving me the KB wave, the others were friendly too, tooting and waving as they went by!

Mrs o/r and I were just saying, aint young folk so friendly these days! :yes:

red mermaid
3rd June 2010, 08:29
So did you phone *555 so that if a patrol was available they were could have looked for Nana and Grandpa?

Eyegasm
3rd June 2010, 08:50
So did you phone *555 so that if a patrol was available they were could have looked for Nana and Grandpa?

Nope, No where to pull over to make such a phone call. Car/bike doesn't have hands free. So instead I decided to fuck around with the ciggie lighter to light a smoke and change the CD's in the disc drawer all while making sure my hair was sitting right in the rear veiw mirror.

And what's this about patrol available? Last time I called 111 they didn't turn up for 45 minutes. I had to basically sit on the mugger.

I am not like the rest of the KB cop bashers, as I have not really had any reason to bash them. But in some instances things could be managed better. Although that is the case in almost every business/organisation.

red mermaid
3rd June 2010, 09:06
Mmm, how does Genie make the original post that is now replied to by Eyegasm?

Eyegasm
3rd June 2010, 10:18
Mmm, how does Genie make the original post that is now replied to by Eyegasm?

Sorry RM, I was just making a point of the other things that car users do that are just as distracting if not more so than talking on a cellphone.

Swoop
3rd June 2010, 12:19
And what's this about patrol available? Last time I called 111 they didn't turn up for 45 minutes.
They could have sent a taxi.
Comms do know how to do that...:thud:

Max Preload
4th June 2010, 13:35
Doesn't say what the penalty is though. Where would i find that?

Here (http://tinyurl.com/2dmynj8) for the infringement fee and maximum penalty on summary conviction and here (http://tinyurl.com/2c788tm) for demerits.

Be warned its a really shitty layout.

Understatement of the fucking century.

liljegren
13th June 2010, 21:15
So next time I drive thru from Paihia towards Puketona Junct, where there is aloooong stretch of double yellows, and some numbnuts CYCLIST is effectively blocking the road (too narrow to pass without crossing the centrelines), should I
a, follow him at 15kms /hr for 5 kms
b, pass him and so cross said centreline
c, run over the prick?
Any of you KB cops got the answer, and when was the last ime you wrote a ticket to one of these pricks for blocking the road???
Matt hates pushbikers.

Genie
14th June 2010, 06:43
So next time I drive thru from Paihia towards Puketona Junct, where there is aloooong stretch of double yellows, and some numbnuts CYCLIST is effectively blocking the road (too narrow to pass without crossing the centrelines), should I
a, follow him at 15kms /hr for 5 kms
b, pass him and so cross said centreline
c, run over the prick?
Any of you KB cops got the answer, and when was the last ime you wrote a ticket to one of these pricks for blocking the road???
Matt hates pushbikers.

now that is very intersting...what to do? I have come across cyclists 4 abreast out in the middle of nowhere on a corner, they be damn dangerous. When in my car I get up real close and then blast my horn, have caused some to get the wobble on in fright! Idiots should be over on the shoulder not in the middle of the road. I'm guessing for you, take an air horn with you and blast them.

red mermaid
14th June 2010, 16:21
Its not an offence if you cross the lines to pass a cyclist.

p.dath
14th June 2010, 16:34

What gave you that impression?

bogan
14th June 2010, 16:35

the thing i hate is there will be yellow line on a straight which is iffy for passing in a shitbox 1.2l corrola, but easy on pretty much all bikes, then you come to a windy section and they go back to dotted whites! Fucking ridiculous that to keep inside the law, you have to pass in a more dangerous place. Obviously theres that third choice of waiting till its safe and not yellow to pass (or not passing altogether) but fuck that, tis safe enough to pass in windy's still.

p.dath
14th June 2010, 16:35

What gave you that impression?

Genie
14th June 2010, 16:58

Hello...you're NOT allowed over the yellow line...but to overtake a cyclist you can? Won't that put you on the other side of the road.....into the path of other traffic, which won't be there or you wouldn't overtake...but seriously IT IS an offence to cross over the yellow line

KingJackaL
14th June 2010, 18:15
Read the links posted in the thread above, they spell it out:

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2004/0427/latest/DLM303051.html?search=qs_all%40act%40bill%40regula tion_no+passing_resel&p=1

"The driver must not pass or attempt to pass a motor vehicle or an animal-drawn vehicle moving in the same direction..."

Since when is a cyclist a 'motor vehicle' or 'an animal-driven vehicle'? (and no, even if you think cyclists are animals, they're not in front of the cycle drawing it... :p)

liljegren
14th June 2010, 20:16
Mmm, OK so I may cross the yellow lines to pass a horse or a cyclist, but not a slow vehicle, even when
i consider it safe to do so. Good, but my question to you, red mermaid is 'When did you last write out a ticket for some fuckwit cyclist(s) effectively blocking the road? " If you need some hints, try anywhere near Brookby, Whitford or Clevedon on a Sunday.
I hate cyclists.

BoristheBiter
14th June 2010, 21:03
But have you seen some peoples idea of 1.5m?
like other side of the road so they have to cross the center line.
as for cycles holding you up in a cage (doesn't matter on a bike) thats what horns are for.

red mermaid
15th June 2010, 16:17
Waste of time pointing out this problem to me, as I'm too far south.

Speak to your local police.

Mmm, OK so I may cross the yellow lines to pass a horse or a cyclist, but not a slow vehicle, even when
i consider it safe to do so. Good, but my question to you, red mermaid is 'When did you last write out a ticket for some fuckwit cyclist(s) effectively blocking the road? " If you need some hints, try anywhere near Brookby, Whitford or Clevedon on a Sunday.
I hate cyclists.