PDA

View Full Version : Gixxer fuel light

slofox
1st June 2010, 18:48
Have done a cursory search but have yet to find an answer to the following question:

Lacking an owners manual for the K8 GSXR 600, I am not sure what the fuel light should do.

The SV650S fuel light blinked with about 4 litres left and then went solid at around 2 litres left. More or less. I expected the gixxer light to do much the same. But it doesn't.

I get a blinking light at just over 200km. First time I waited for it to go solid it didn't - just kept blinking. At around the 240 - 250km mark I refilled anyway.Luckily. It took 16.2 litres to refill. Meaning there was about 800ml left. Which is fuck all when it comes down to it. Can't be having with pushing the bugger home now can we?

Is this normal fuel light behaviour or not?

BTW I have posted a similar question on a couple of gixxer specific sites but they are amerikan sites and nobody understands litres or kilometres or even kiwispeak, so I come back to good old KB - better humour here too...:sunny:

Gubb
1st June 2010, 18:54
Maybe you didn't put petrol in the brake reservoir?

FJRider
1st June 2010, 19:02
For your bike ... it seems like it is ....

Now you know how far you can expect to get out of a tank of gas ...

slofox
1st June 2010, 19:10
Maybe you didn't put petrol in the brake reservoir?

Not even I have done that..yet...

For your bike ... it seems like it is ....

Now you know how far you can expect to get out of a tank of gas ...

True.

firefighter
1st June 2010, 19:14
Mines a LOT older, being a 2000, but it's fuel light comes on and flashes, goes solid after a quite a bit and still has a fair distance to go before it'll stop going, and it's a big heavy thirsty 750. (My light starts flashing at around 170-180, and I was still riding at 220 before I filled up when I tried my luck).

Obviously I do get higher kms open road riding, but shes thristy as hell compared to my Hornet.

Pussy
1st June 2010, 19:26
It should go to a solid light when there is about 1 litre left

gale_wolf
1st June 2010, 19:36
Mine's a K6 1000. The light starts flashing around 175+ and I think goes solid at 220+. Still have a couple of litres left at that point depending on how heavy my throttle hand has been, but since I don't want to have to push it (had to do that a few times with older bikes) I always fill up at about the 200 mark anyway.

DarkLord
1st June 2010, 19:59
Off topic I know - but the fuel light on my 01 SV650s used to come on after 170km :wacko:

However now that I've had a Dynajet kit installed I can now get about 350km out of a single tank of 91 :)

slofox
1st June 2010, 20:08
Hmmm. I'll stick to the tried and true trip meter I think.

steve_t
1st June 2010, 20:26
A quick google search finds the light is supposed to come on with around 1 gallon left = 3.78 litres. My ZX6R is supposed to have 3.5 litres left when the low fuel indicator comes on. Trip meter ends up being easier most of the time anyway

slofox
1st June 2010, 20:39
A quick google search finds the light is supposed to come on with around 1 gallon left = 3.78 litres. My ZX6R is supposed to have 3.5 litres left when the low fuel indicator comes on. Trip meter ends up being easier most of the time anyway

Agreed. I always reset one of the trip meters when I fill up - part of the record keeping. The light is just a reminder...

BTW what did you ask google to find? I had no luck...

gale_wolf
1st June 2010, 21:02
This is from my K6 1000 owner's manual:
"Fuel Indicator Light. When the fuel in the fuel tank drops below approximately 0.0 liters (0.0/0.0 US/Imp. gal), this indicator blinks. When the fuel in the fuel tank drops below approximately 4.2 liters (1.1/0.9 US/Imp. gal), this indicator light comes on. This indicator light comes on for three seconds when the ignition switch is turned to the "ON" position, then the indicator light should go out if there is enough fuel in the tank. NOTE: When the fuel indicator light comes on, you should add fuel to the fuel tank at the first opportunity to avoid running out of fuel."

1 - Yes that first line with 0.0 litres is what is printed in the manual, very helpful :yes:
2 - The note in italics is also very helpful: "add fuel to avoid running out of fuel"
3 - This doesn't really help at all does it?

Edit:
4 - This might actually be helpful... Found a scan of the K8 manual where the text has been corrected to say the light blinks at 4 litres, and stays on at 1.5 litres. The scan is at http://www.scribd.com/doc/31338206/GSX-R1000-2008-K8-Owner-s-Manual

Urano
1st June 2010, 21:06
well...
the best things to do are:

1- take with you a plastic bottle with 1 or 2 litre of gas, then go until it runs... that's the more accurate data you can have... (beside, how's the station situation there in nz? here we have a station "every dog piss" as we say... in france you can find places without stations for 50-70 km. how's there?)
2- get that damn manual... ;)

Movistar
1st June 2010, 22:00
I get a blinking light at just over 200km. First time I waited for it to go solid it didn't - just kept blinking. At around the 240 - 250km mark I refilled anyway.

I got 300 km's out of a tank once - and once only!

But otherwise, with a litre left (or there abouts) the fuel light should stay on solid.
When this happens, it's past the time to start thinking where the next fuel stop will be...

steve_t
1st June 2010, 22:29
Agreed. I always reset one of the trip meters when I fill up - part of the record keeping. The light is just a reminder...

BTW what did you ask google to find? I had no luck...

I just put in "K8 GSXR 600 fuel light" and read thru a few pages... can't remember what they were sorry. Did u transfer your TPX over yourself?

slofox
1st June 2010, 22:50
I just put in "K8 GSXR 600 fuel light" and read thru a few pages... can't remember what they were sorry. Did u transfer your TPX over yourself?

Nah - got the shop to do all that stuff as part of the "sweetener" for buying the thing...it's actually real easy to do - even I managed it first time.

slofox
1st June 2010, 22:50
2- get that damn manual... ;)

The manual is on order - but taking about ten thousand years to arrive...

v8s&2wheels
2nd June 2010, 18:21
The manual is on order - but taking about ten thousand years to arrive...

With my 07 gsxr1000 the light starts to blink with 4L left. And then once it gets down to 1.5L the light stays on solid. One would imagine your 600 would be exactly the same.

Re kms per tank... perhaps you guys are very heavy on the throttle? Or your bikes may need a tune up?

I get from 190-210 before i have 4L left in the tank, and then around 230-240 before i have 1.5L. Thats all town riding too.. and im not soft on the throttle.

My boss has the same bike as me and he always gets 250+ before his light comes on solid.

I thought maybe my bike was chewing through the gas a bit too much.. that or i needed to ride at 55kph in the next gear.. But you guys have made me realise that my bikes fairly good on gas for what it is.