PDA

View Full Version : DRZ400SM. To mono, or not to mono.

White trash
25th May 2005, 17:18
FAAARRRRRRRRKKKKKKK! Gimme gimme gimme!

I've been anticipating the release of this bike more than any other Suzuki this year. Why? you ask. Well I've got a K3 1000 and although it aint quite a K5, it's blinding all the same. I've ridden DR-Zs in the mud and they impress the shit outta me. Motarding is the most fun you can have with your pants on, so it makes sense to combine the two.

When the bike was being uncrated, I wasn't too sure about the yellow/white/red colour scheme. The 320mm front rotor is grouse and the spoked wheels with black anodised rims look as tricky as David Blain at an International Sceptics Convention. I'd prefer the bike in the black colour scheme but beggars can't be choosers apparently, and I'm not paying for it. The Dunlop D208 tyres seem a softer compound than normal and the rear one doesn't look quite wide enough nestled between the gorgeous, tapered aloy swing arm, courtesay of the RM-Z.

Once seated on the vynal covered 4X2 saddle you get an idea of what Motards are about. Low weight, tall seat and oodles of cornering clearance. The front guard looks more short and pointy than a dirt bikes, reminding you of the street origins intended for this bike.

Hit the magic starter button (stick your kick starters up your arse, I'm a blouse) and for a modern bike, it's remarkably rowdy. Engage the first of the five gears, quite a few revs (it's pretty tall geared) and bit of clutch slip. You're off.

Your 1st 50 meters of travel on a Motard should always be the same. Tackled on one wheel. Unfortunately, don't get one of these if wheelie school attendance is booked. Tall gearing, coupled with more weight, less power and torque than it's enduro brother, means this sort of behaviour takes alot more effort than you'd expect. Yes, it will wheelie off the throttle in first or second gear, but not in the same knee jerk reaction style as a chook chaser on road tyres would. You have to really want it and put in a bit of body language. Once up there though, YAHOOOO! Broad, even torque delivery with brilliant throttle response means that you'll be acheiving Star Boyz style hangtime with a little practice.

Red light coming up at 80kph? Mint! Big handfull of that front stopper and the rear's hovering a foot and half in space as you glide past the stationary traffic, headlight pointing roadwards.

The gear ratios are really well spaced for road riding and there's not alot of vibration from the liquid cooled single at normal revs. It does get a bit harsh at high revs but you'd have to expect that anyway. Because this bike is brand new with only 9km on the digital speedo/trip computer thingy, I was taking it really easy but I'd anticipate top speed to be around 160-170kph.

The turn in surprised me I must admit. I expected radical, Buell style, think it and it's so type turning, when in fact, the kicked out dirt bike geometry means it's a little slow. Hold's a tight enough line if you're prepared to get your arse forward in the seat and get some weight over the front though. Riding this thing fast, you're going to need to use a fair bit of body language. Fat lazy bastards need not apply.

Sadly, I didn't have nearly enough time opn this bike but I've got to say, the 40 minutes I spent on it, was a hell of alot more laughable than the previous entire 6 months on the Gixxer. You can get away with bloody murder on this thing although I really believ my licence would suffer. If I was staying put in Wellington, I'd have this in the gargre tomorrow night. A big carb of the enduro spec bike and a Yoshimura exhaust system would be the first things fitted and you'd have a rip snorter.

Get into a Suzuki dealer tomorrow, blag a ride. Simple as that. If you're not laughing on your return, you're gay. Plain and simple.

Sensei
25th May 2005, 17:29
Not as trick as the RMZ450 You showed me but it will last longer !! Gotta laugh tho I was doing this to TT500 back in 1980 & every one thought I was made . Your right nothing beats a Motard for 10k wheelies & drifting . :yes:

Skunk
25th May 2005, 17:48
That looks pretty neat eh? That looks like a bike I've gotta try.

Hmmm, busy this weekend and next... how long you hanging round for?

White trash
26th May 2005, 07:36
That looks pretty neat eh? That looks like a bike I've gotta try.

Hmmm, busy this weekend and next... how long you hanging round for?

I'll be here 'till the 25th of June. More than welcome to come and check it out mate, if I haven't worn it out that is. :whistle:

Quasievil
26th May 2005, 07:43
Nah its gay

:msn-wink:

bungbung
26th May 2005, 08:21
Awesome,

I'll drop by.

Pwalo
26th May 2005, 08:26
Not as trick as the RMZ450 You showed me but it will last longer !! Gotta laugh tho I was doing this to TT500 back in 1980 & every one thought I was made . Your right nothing beats a Motard for 10k wheelies & drifting . :yes:

Yes indeedy. A friend of mine had the TT500 with road wheels on. Fantastic fun to ride, and being a kick start 500 single was a bit of a 'man's' bike.

White trash
26th May 2005, 08:33
Nah its gay

:msn-wink:

You're fucken gay.

Quasievil
26th May 2005, 08:42
You're fucken gay.

oh common young skywalker dont be like that.

yeah nah its cool but I dont like the yellow, it doesnt suit your personality, do they make one in pink, nah nah, how about black or Blue that would be the way to go.

Sounds like you had fun on it though, I will look forward to seeing you out and about on it, should be a hoot

Yarg
26th May 2005, 08:49
looks OK cept for the front guard. :ride:

chris
26th May 2005, 09:19
One of these has been my daily transport for the past couple of weeks. At the moment I am struggling to describe just how much fun it is.

White trash
26th May 2005, 09:26
One of these has been my daily transport for the past couple of weeks. At the moment I am struggling to describe just how much fun it is.

I fucken hate you. :D

chris
26th May 2005, 09:37
I fucken hate you. :D

You would not believe how many people have told me that recently :D

Skunk
26th May 2005, 10:16
You would not believe how many people have told me that recently :D
How's the seat (on the KTM and the DRZ), wide enough for longer trips?

chris
26th May 2005, 10:21
How's the seat (on the KTM and the DRZ), wide enough for longer trips?

The seat on the KTM is hard. Simple as that. I spoke to the importers last week and was told that a comfort version is not yet available. It is fine for short trips or commuting, but spending an hour on it does induce discomfort.

Skunk
26th May 2005, 10:29
The seat on the KTM is hard. Simple as that. I spoke to the importers last week and was told that a comfort version is not yet available. It is fine for short trips or commuting, but spending an hour on it does induce discomfort.Have to wait for the comfort version and check that out.

Still looking for something to replace the ZRX and the KLX250...

White trash
26th May 2005, 11:26
Mark_NZ wheelieing away up Kent Tce on a Yellow dirt bike looking thingy.

Nice shot Mark. :niceone:

Marknz
26th May 2005, 14:27
Mark_NZ wheelieing away up Kent Tce on a Yellow dirt bike looking thingy.

Nice shot Mark. :niceone:

Wasn't me occifer!

Great ride and I'd suggest this would be the perfect sort of bike for someone coming from a 250 and wanting to either commute or try their hand at a little motard, which just happens to be what I'm considering doing.

Didn't take too long to get used to the upright riding position, it is about 20 years since I rode a KDX. Can't say I noticed any issues with the seat, but then I was only on it for about 30km's. Front brake felt a little off until I leaned over and noticed there was only one disc. Given that, it had plenty of stopping power. Emergency braking was excellent, although I'd attempt to dial a little bit of dive out of the front end if it was to be used purely for the road.

Engine. Well for a single cylinder 400cc bike it really does give you all that you need. With the right gearing you may have a little trouble with the license on the open road, but around town is where the most fun is to be had on this bike and it's current gearing seemed really good for where I was playing, that being the coast roads between Seatoun and Miramar Wharf, aka Shelly Bay Road.

I'd recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade from a smaller bike, and while the more serious sports rider might be a little underwhelmed, they might also see the fun to be had in this class of bike.

Good onya Suzuki, and cheers WT and Wgtn M/cycles for the wee ride.

chris
26th May 2005, 14:38
My commute to and from work is a lot quicker on the KTM 525 than it was on the R1 I rode for a couple of days! It is a lot easier to chuck around the tight twisties for starters. As a bonus, it sounds wonderful on the overrun, popping and banging.

MrMelon
26th May 2005, 16:39
This thing is the shit!

White trash
26th May 2005, 17:21
This thing is the shit!

Glad you enjoyed it mate. Now get ya cheque book out........

Skunk
26th May 2005, 17:23
Had a sit on it. Need to find time for a ride... :(
Hard seat, so that would have to go. Next, for my purposes, would be a small rack.

Damn!, the thing looks good in the flesh :devil2:

Now trading - one ZRX and a KLX... maybe.

Mr Skid
26th May 2005, 17:27
Had a sit on it. Need to find time for a ride... :(
Hard seat, so that would have to go. Next, for my purposes, would be a small rack.

Damn!, the thing looks good in the flesh :devil2:

Now trading - one ZRX and a KLX... maybe.
Corbin make a seat for the DR-Z400.
http://www.corbin.com/suzuki/drz400.shtml

Coldkiwi
26th May 2005, 17:27
ta for the review jimmy. dunno if I'll make it to wgtn before you go but if I do, I'll certainly be in to blag a ride.

sounds like fun.. but i'm not too keen on being one of these 'underwhelmed sports riders'

Skunk
26th May 2005, 17:39
Corbin make a seat for the DR-Z400.
http://www.corbin.com/suzuki/drz400.shtmlGuessed they would.
And it's a good looking one too. (Not in those colours - know what I mean?)

chris
27th May 2005, 08:29
and while the more serious sports rider might be a little underwhelmed,

Even more so when the rider on the Motard makes you look silly on the twisties :whistle:

limbimtimwim
5th July 2007, 19:40
--->ULTIMATE THREAD RESURRECT<---

Yep, brilliant. 'Cept I have not pulled a mono yet.

And yes, black is the colour to have.

ZeroIndex
5th July 2007, 19:48
--->ULTIMATE THREAD RESURRECT<---

Yep, brilliant. 'Cept I have not pulled a mono yet.

And yes, black is the colour to have.
Ultimate Thread Resurrection Warning:
Watch that cam tensioner...

limbimtimwim
5th July 2007, 20:09
Watch that cam tensioner...Really?

Have you owned a DR-Z400? I am interested to know.. things.

Anyway, it's under warranty for the next 2 years, so it's all Suzuki's problem if it goes poo-shaped.

ZeroIndex
5th July 2007, 21:20
Really?

Have you owned a DR-Z400? I am interested to know.. things.

Anyway, it's under warranty for the next 2 years, so it's all Suzuki's problem if it goes poo-shaped.
Speak to Carver... he used to have a DR650, but he's got a couple of friends with DRZ400SM's apparently the cam tensioner thingy is not very good... but that's his words, not mine...

Muzz67
7th July 2007, 17:32
What gearing do the SM's wear?? Does it pull full revs on standard sizes, or would it handle a higher gear (lower ratio). Cheers.

limbimtimwim
7th July 2007, 18:14
What gearing do the SM's wear?? Does it pull full revs on standard sizes, or would it handle a higher gear (lower ratio). Cheers.15 front, 41 rear. I don't think my totally stock (As in a bit neutered) SM wouldn't like you to subtract any teeth from the rear or add any to the front. If anything, it needs a larger rear sprocket. Once a few ponies have been released (Or added ;) ) you could maybe raise the gearing. Maybe. But personally, I wouldn't.

There two news ones at the New Plymouth Motorcycle Centre for a nice price. One black, one yellow. Click here: http://motorcycletrader.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=1212677&TabID=3553&Alias=motorcycletradernz

Muzz67
8th July 2007, 17:41
Thanks for that.Which carb do the SM's have?? (Are they US models or Canadian.) Mine (Canadian--big carb)DRZ is not SM, but I am setting her up for motard.