PDA

View Full Version : Complete Newbie

Silverbug
25th May 2005, 17:23
So im thinking about getting my bike license. However the only time i have been on a bike was on a dirt bike out on muriwai beach for all of about 1 min of riding.

What do people suggest for the complete newbie? Does that pre-learner license course cover everything right from scratch or are you expected to know how to ride a bike before you go?

There was some interesting reading in Zapf's which 1st bike thread...

White trash
25th May 2005, 17:28
Welcome Silverbug.

DRZ400SM.

Sensei
25th May 2005, 17:31
Welcome Silverbug got afew of them on my K3 at the moment :killingme

Mr Skid
25th May 2005, 17:34
If you're refering to the basic handling skills certificate, I don't know of anyone that has failed it. I'd suggest getting some tuition in combination with the basic handling skills certificate.
I did only the certificate at Passrite to save money, but I belive it's a false economy.

Did you enjoy riding at Murawai? If so I'd think a dual sport / trail bike would be a good option for learning on. They are designed to be crash and dropped, and are road registerable.

WINJA
25th May 2005, 17:39
So im thinking about getting my bike license. However the only time i have been on a bike was on a dirt bike out on muriwai beach for all of about 1 min of riding.

What do people suggest for the complete newbie? Does that pre-learner license course cover everything right from scratch or are you expected to know how to ride a bike before you go?

A GN250 IS A GREAT LEARNER BIKE, THEY ARE EASY TO GET OFF THE MARK AND HAVE ENOUGH POWER TO GET YOU OUT OF TROUBLE , THEY CRASH WELL AND ARE CHEAP TO REPAIR AND ARE ONLY $3000 NEW AND CAN BE FINANCED , THEY HAVE A GOOD RESALE VALUE AS WELL.
YAMAHA SR250 IS SIMILAR TO ABOVE.
OR YOU CAN GET A 250 TRAIL BIKE LIKE AN XR

Phurrball
25th May 2005, 17:48
Welcome Silverbug!

Currently going through what you're planning - I'm sitting basic handling skills cert this weekend [All going well - my neck is bloody sore and head won't turn at the mo...dunno why? Had better come right!].

I'm sitting this with Doug Swanson (in the phone book), who has a nice, tame GN250 and operates in a car park on the North Shore.

Doug suits me, and is very mellow...go to the instructor/location that suits you.

You'll have a blast! Enjoy :msn-wink:

HDTboy
25th May 2005, 17:55
I'd recommend Doug swanson as well, he charged me about $60ish for a lesson and the certificate. Don't quote me on that as i tend to forget stuff.

I bought a CBR250RR as they're one of the quicker 250s on the market and i didn't want to be trading up straight away, but like Mr $kid said, if you had fun on the dirt then a trail bike might be the go for you.

Welcome to the site

Jeremy
25th May 2005, 19:24
A GN250 IS A GREAT LEARNER BIKE, THEY ARE EASY TO GET OFF THE MARK AND HAVE ENOUGH POWER TO GET YOU OUT OF TROUBLE , THEY CRASH WELL AND ARE CHEAP TO REPAIR AND ARE ONLY $3000 NEW AND CAN BE FINANCED , THEY HAVE A GOOD RESALE VALUE AS WELL.

I'm slightly interested to hear about how they crash well.

Matt Bleck
25th May 2005, 19:41
Mate if I where you I'd get something you can take out into a paddock and learn some bike control, ya know drifting the arse out, grabbing a hand full of the front brakes, so you can feel what a bike feels like when its out of control or about to be out of control cause you do not want to be on the road when things go pear shaped!

Skyryder
25th May 2005, 19:42
I'm slightly interested to hear about how they crash well.

So am I. But then if Winj rides, like the way he writes he would know.

Skyryder

WINJA
25th May 2005, 19:50
So am I. But then if Winj rides, like the way he writes he would know.

Skyryder
THERE ARE NO EXPENSIVE FAIRINGS AND ITS GOT TO BE A REAL BIG ACCIDENT FOR YOU NOT TO RIDE AWAY, I USED TO HACKSAW PART OF THE WAY THRU THE ENDS OF THE BRAKE AND CLUTCH LEVERS SO THAT ONY THE TIPS BRAKE OFF THIS WAY I CAN STILL RIDE HOME AND ALSO IT STOPS THE PERCH BREAKING.
TRUST ME GUYS I USED TO CRASH ONCE A WEEK AT LEAST ON SCENIC DRIVE AND PIHA ROAD , MY CRASHES AROUND THOSE ROADS WOULD EXCEED 50 OR SO

Sutage
25th May 2005, 21:56
THERE ARE NO EXPENSIVE FAIRINGS AND ITS GOT TO BE A REAL BIG ACCIDENT FOR YOU NOT TO RIDE AWAY, I USED TO HACKSAW PART OF THE WAY THRU THE ENDS OF THE BRAKE AND CLUTCH LEVERS SO THAT ONY THE TIPS BRAKE OFF THIS WAY I CAN STILL RIDE HOME AND ALSO IT STOPS THE PERCH BREAKING.
TRUST ME GUYS I USED TO CRASH ONCE A WEEK AT LEAST ON SCENIC DRIVE AND PIHA ROAD , MY CRASHES AROUND THOSR ROADS WOULD EXCEED 50 OD SO

I agree, my SR250 is the same.. the worst you gonna get is bent levers or a broken mirror, costs like 50 bucks tops to fix/replace, beats a few grand for fairings :D And if you dont fix the fairings dam the bike looks wrecked, nothing to scratch on SRs/GNs

Ms Piggy
26th May 2005, 07:53

I don't know about in Auckland but most of the places that do the Basic Handlings Skills test also do Learn to Ride courses.

I wouldn't recomend a GN250 if you are wanting a bike that you can ride on longer trips. :no:

Welcome to the site and let us know your progress :niceone:

Yarg
26th May 2005, 09:15
Welcome to the site. The Gn250 would be good learners bike. S/be easy to fix if dropped. :ride:

Riff Raff
26th May 2005, 09:21
Hi and welcome to the site :wavey:

Go and do your basic handling skills then look at trying a few bikes to see what you are most comfortable on. There's a good range out there from the sporty to the cruiser style. Good luck. :ride:

placidfemme
26th May 2005, 09:27
Hi and welcome

I agree with a few of the people above, Doug Swanson in the North Shore is an awesome teacher and very patient. He taught myself and my partner to ride... from the start... neither of us knew how to ride... only took 4 lessons, and the fourths lesson was the Basic Handling Skills test. I don't think you could fail this.

Dougs number if you'd like lessons from him is: 416-5096.

He only does lessons on Sundays from 8am to 2pm I believe so you'll need to call him and book a time.

Silverbug
26th May 2005, 09:51
Hi and welcome

I agree with a few of the people above, Doug Swanson in the North Shore is an awesome teacher and very patient. He taught myself and my partner to ride... from the start... neither of us knew how to ride... only took 4 lessons, and the fourths lesson was the Basic Handling Skills test. I don't think you could fail this.

Dougs number if you'd like lessons from him is: 416-5096.

He only does lessons on Sundays from 8am to 2pm I believe so you'll need to call him and book a time.
Ah great, thanks guys. I'll have to give doug a call and have a chat with him.

Not looking at getting into off road riding, mainly something to work and back, and the odd trip up north. but to start with i think just work and back, untill i build up a bit of confidence etc.

outlawtorn
26th May 2005, 12:07
Welcome to the site dude, may you have many happy miles and messages!

Like most people say a GN250 is a great 1st bike, I personally went for the GZ250 as I prefer the lower profile it has, and I think it looks nicer anyway. But each to his own, the GZ is normally about $2000 more expensive than a GN. But I'm going for my Intermediate to Full License course with Passrite this weekend so hopefully in the near future I'll be selling my GZ250. Woo Hoo! oh and welcome to the site, didn't I say that already........?

XP@
27th May 2005, 13:55
Depends on how tall you are (and if you liked the beach)
I would go for a 200 to 250 cc 4-stroke dual purpose, they are really easy to ride give lots of visibility and will be happy in town on the beach or in a paddock.

HDTboy
27th May 2005, 15:22
PM me when you get your lisence if you want to try out a cbr250 to see what they're like. I bought mine as my first bike and can testify that the are expensive to crash (maybe a good thing)

Gremlin
2nd June 2005, 01:36
I did mine BHS with John Wright. 3 hours in one hit, certificate at end. Personally I would stay away from Passrite. How they do everything in 1-2 hours scares me.

I had no experience whatsoever, having never lifted my leg over a motorcycle. 5 hours riding time and I was going into the city, 9 hours and only need to learn hill starts and having a go at the Panmure roundabout.

When I did my BHS, there was a girl that crashed the scooter, and refused to get back on... so you could sorta call it a fail, but she was still trying to take off, and just about "took off" as well... :rofl:

Then I can spend the rest of my life going faster and faster... :Punk:

Excal
2nd June 2005, 18:15
I onli knew the basics , pretty easy test . But if you dont know how to change gears , prolly should take lessons . :niceone:

Jeremy
2nd June 2005, 18:29
I did mine BHS with John Wright. 3 hours in one hit, certificate at end. Personally I would stay away from Passrite. How they do everything in 1-2 hours scares me.

I had no experience whatsoever, having never lifted my leg over a motorcycle. 5 hours riding time and I was going into the city, 9 hours and only need to learn hill starts and having a go at the Panmure roundabout.

When I did my BHS, there was a girl that crashed the scooter, and refused to get back on... so you could sorta call it a fail, but she was still trying to take off, and just about "took off" as well... :rofl:

Then I can spend the rest of my life going faster and faster... :Punk:

How on earth did she manage to crash the scooter? You can only go at about 15km/h in the area that John has got set up. You'd have to try pretty hard to crash (if you could allready ride a push-bike).

Gremlin
3rd June 2005, 02:13
How on earth did she manage to crash the scooter? You can only go at about 15km/h in the area that John has got set up. You'd have to try pretty hard to crash (if you could allready ride a push-bike).
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: It took me a while as well to add it all together, but I think this is how it went.

First, she was 18, no clutch experience etc. The crash occurred right at the beginning when we were learning how to pull away etc. I was busy turning around manually when I saw most of the incident.

I think she was slowing to a stop, clutch in, kept the throttle open, it revved, she panicked (which is easy for a learner) and did the typical thing of pulling and releasing everything. First it revved, then she dropped the clutch, so it did a little wheelie, then somehow she managed a tiny stoppie, bit of a wheelie again, brakes and promptly fell over the left front sort of sideways.

Not really a crash, but I was glad I wasn't the first :whistle: (never did end up falling tho)... she decided there was no way she was going to get back on, and wanted to have car lessons instead, which, as John said, would probably make learning a bike more difficult.

Oh, and I did about 30 behind the containers... that was about an hour in... my speed desires were already showing, except slowing for the corner was difficult...

FROSTY
5th June 2005, 16:04
Bugger me WINJA a friggin sensible sorta caring post ---Youre slipping man :devil2:
Seriously though -I agree totally although Id add to that list
cb250rs,FXR150,cb250 and sv250 -all easy bikes to ride and are goood in a carpark type off

thehollowmen
5th June 2005, 16:15
God damn
The guy down here does it in 30-45 minutes!

Gazzar
6th June 2005, 21:33
Wellcome to the KBs site :niceone:

N4CR
6th June 2005, 21:42
God damn
The guy down here does it in 30-45 minutes!

Isn't that the same area where the 4 month Restricted and 12 month full or something happens!? Lucky...