PDA

View Full Version : New Sena BT headset to beat them all!

Idubbs
6th June 2010, 12:51
I fell to temptation after reading the great writeups on the latest generation Sena SMH10 bluetooth headsets. See here:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/sena-smh10-intercom/sena-smh10-part-2.htm

What attracted me to this unit was the ease of use and reliability of the functions offered and though I'm aware of both the other main contenders, being, Scala G4 and Interphone F4, these still suffer from teething problems, plus they are more expensive.

What does the Sena SMH10 offer? BT Intercom 900m range, bike to bike , rider to pillion BT, GPS, radar detector (with BT transmitter), mobile phone, MP3 stereo music.... Yep, bliss to all those technophiles!:Punk:

I sent away to the States for a Dual set in which you get two of everything that's included in a single set, and specified a NZ/Aust power supply. The goods were received just on a week after the dispatch notice was emailed to me, and I must say that the quality of packaging was first class when it arrived. There were two instruction manuals - one in english and the other, somewhat thicker, contained a number of other European languages (instant door wedge!).

Needless to say it didn't take too much temptation for me to dive straight into the package and get stuck into fitting these beauties. My helmet is an Arai and my son' has a Shark and in both cases it took about 30 minutes to have them fully fitted and operational. Most of the time was figuring how to pull the lining of the helmet out. The Arai was easy-peasey and the ear speakers easily slipped into the cheek pad intents. The Shark was a little different as the cheek pad is fixed and you can't get beneath the lining. My son instead had to fit the speaker onto the outside of the lining and luckily the underside of the ear speaker has a prickly surface to stick much like velcro. Anyway, with the ear speakers fitted, the headset base unit easily clamped onto the bottom edge of the of the helmet left side. They provide an allen key to tighten this clamp and I can tell you it ain't gonna move! After clicking the BT unit into place, tidying up all the wiring and replacing all the inside padding, everything looked hunky dory. Now comes the exciting part paring all our toys!

First was the Blackberry mobile phone - paired straight away. Voice dial works, and music? Sounded fantastic in trueblue stereo and volume....! That's one of the best features of the Sena that they say volume is never an issue at ANY speed! Next came the iPod and that paired straight away. I didn't do the Zumo 550 just yet - I'll try that another day but we did pair the two Sena's together and indoor communication worked as expected. Can't wait till the weather clears a little for the ultimate test!

Anyone interested in the Sena SHM10 BT should also tune into Advrider's forum
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562357

I can confirm that there is now a NZ distributor for Sena. Watch this space..!:yes:

Idubbs
22nd June 2010, 23:53
You might want to check this out!

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/125194-Sena-bluetooth-headsets-latest-generation

Idubbs
27th June 2010, 17:23
Time to check in again..... sorry I still haven't had a chance to test out the bike to bike intercom part yet - having difficulties getting the son-a-mine out of bed on Sunday mornings! What I CAN report is...... the music from the mobile phone sounds fantastic at ALL speeds - well up to 120kph (on a private road!!!?) at least. Still good volume despite having my plugs for lugs in. I did have to adjust the position of the speakers a little the other day as it makes a huge difference for volume and comfort if you get it right. I believe that Sena will soon be releasing a replacement helmet base as an accessory which comes with the boom mike sans ear speakers. For snug fitting helmets like mine, I'll soon be able to plug in my earbuds instead.

And.... I can now vouch for the Sena's "water resistance" this morning after a few heavy showers up north.

rabbid
10th January 2015, 21:08
because of the fantastic reviews, just found revzilla wont ship these to NZ. local price is outrageous.

haydes55
11th January 2015, 08:40
because of the fantastic reviews, just found revzilla wont ship these to NZ. local price is outrageous.

User a parcel forwarding company

Mike.Gayner
11th January 2015, 11:54
They're cheaper on Amazon, and I shipped my SMH5 for just USD$13.

edit: SMH10 here:
http://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH10D-10-Motorcycle-Bluetooth-Intercom/dp/B0087NAZM0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1420934087&sr=8-3&keywords=smh10

I notice Amazon is now deducting GST at the checkout for orders over about $500. Probably be cheaper to buy two single packs to be honest (or get the SMH5 like me).

Blackbird
11th January 2015, 16:51
User a parcel forwarding company

Yep, I used YouShop a couple of years ago for a purchase ex-USA but IAM members in NZ now get a decent discount.