PDA

View Full Version : Daytona minimoto mods...

Nutter34
6th June 2010, 13:50
So, who's done what?

I've cut my expansion chamber open and found about 2" worth of pipe on the inside on the header side and about 1/2" on the silencer side. They've been removed to length and a mate is welding it up for me. Results to follow with time.

Then... One of the guys has pulled the barrel and spun the piston and barrel 180 degrees. He's going to modify the pipe to fit. It'll be a reverse cylinder, lol... The same engine has had the reeds/intake hole enlarged and fettled with, as well as the exhaust port. All in the name of fun. (Just back from there. The reed block is leaking, so it's running poorly but it runs...)

Another pipe is earmarked for the cag mod, of shortening the header and adding some into the expansion...

So, what have you guys done without spending money ie. buying performance parts?

Nutter34
6th June 2010, 15:17
Pics or it didn't happen...

{.bLanK}G_o_D
6th June 2010, 15:35
spun the piston and barrel 180 degrees.

Ya what?

I'm no 2t designer but I'm sure that is gonna fuck the flow of your motor.

imdying
6th June 2010, 15:38
So, what have you guys done without spending money ie. buying performance parts?Most important thing is just putting it together carefully... perfectly running chain, perfectly setup brakes, right tyre pressures, no friction anywhere it's not wanted.

Nutter34
6th June 2010, 16:33
Ya what?

I'm no 2t designer but I'm sure that is gonna fuck the flow of your motor.

We had a look last night. The base of the motor is symmetrical. The transfer ports are on the sides. By turning the barrel 180 degrees, the transfer is still the same. We turned the piston to match the barrel. The barrel transfers are shaped but a lot of guys modify them too, in which case they'd be very similar.

My point of concern was more pipe length. By having a really short pipe, it may or may not result in the power band being where you want it, due to the resonant frequency being all out of whack. We need to fix the leaking reed block, before we can see how well it works...

Nutter34
6th June 2010, 16:36
Most important thing is just putting it together carefully... perfectly running chain, perfectly setup brakes, right tyre pressures, no friction anywhere it's not wanted.

That wasn't the question, lol...

I haven't had to touch my bike since I put the plug and fuel filter in. Apart from getting punctures etc, the bike has run quite well. (touches wood)... Actually, a few of us have been running quite reliably.

Nutter34
9th June 2010, 17:57
Initial impressions the other night regarding the modded standard pipe, the bike SOUNDED slower. It was warmer though and had been raining. Whether the humidity and heat had an influence, or the pipe is worse is debateble at this stage. I need to wait for a cold night before giving a final verdict. The reason I say sounded is because last time, the bike seemed to rev a lot more and quicker. Maybe the clutch likes warmer weather and doesn't slip as much as when it's cold. It seemed to grab, kind of bog the motor, then spool up again...

I never got much riding done, since I 'forgot' to lockwire my exhaust flange bolts and lost one. Spent a while looking for it, lol. Won't do that again...

Time will tell. I probably won't be riding for a few weeks.

mr_penguin
9th June 2010, 18:11
Lock wire ! wow now thats one thing I have never seen done on a pocket bike ! seen it a lot on full size race bikes...

That would make a lot of common sense on the two manifold bolts on the daytona ! I think I'm off to the shed to drill some
hex bolts tonight !

Thanks man !

Nutter34
9th June 2010, 18:50
Hahaha.

I thought it'd be one of the standard fixes...

I was running .025" between the bolts but it either stretched with heat, the gasket wore down, or the holes are wearing but they were loose after a few nights. (Or my lockwiring needs practice).

I'm now trying .032" and wired them seperately.

At least it saves them from falling out.

mr_penguin
9th June 2010, 20:13
I tend use blue tread lock on all my bolts and also replace every nut and bolt with non chinese hardware as the threads are crap and the metal is soft.......

On the manifold lock wire makes sense due to the heat as the thread lock don't like heat that much....

Nutter34
9th June 2010, 20:39
That's why we opted for the lockwire.

One guy used red locktite on his bike... I thought that was a bit keen considering the quality of the fasteners, lol...

So, will it be the start of a new craze then? Lol...

imdying
10th June 2010, 09:41
Just use a thread locker that has the correct heat and strength ratings...

888mike
10th June 2010, 11:31
Man you guys are gettin serious down there, have you got a track to ride on or just car parks, if you have a track try and pick up some B1s and you will give up gettin too serious with the daytonas

imdying
10th June 2010, 11:43
No track. I think we have a ZPF and 3 (4?) B1s too :yes: I tire of fixing the Daytonas... I'll either move to something European soon, or pack it in.

/edit: TBH I'll still keep the Daytona in good condition when I find a replacement; we're going to run a "Daytona Cup", open only to the Daytona bikes

Nutter34
10th June 2010, 11:48
We don't have a track. We just put some cones out and try out different layouts. Surface is a mix of tarmac and concrete.

It works fine for us. We are all doing it cheaply. Any mods can be done 'in-house'. No buying of performance products, lol.

The guys who did the reverse cylinder mod are rotary freaks and have done heaps of porting and tuning on theirs, so it's kind of expected they'd play with their bikes' engines. Hasn't really cost anything... Yet.

The rest of us are keeping ours somewhat standard.

Ray LeCheminant
10th June 2010, 20:44
Pics or it didn't happen...

Good luck getting the carb floats to work

mr_penguin
10th June 2010, 21:43
Out of interest have you guys gone to the local kart club to see if you can get access to there track ????

Thats if there is a club down there..

imdying
11th June 2010, 00:26
Good luck getting the carb floats to workOk, I'll bite... why would the float work worse than it normally does due to their changes?

Out of interest have you guys gone to the local kart club to see if you can get access to there track ????Sadly, never gonna happen... those guys have a hard enough time as it is with stupid wankers that live nearby bitching.

Nutter34
11th June 2010, 01:18
Out of interest have you guys gone to the local kart club to see if you can get access to there track ????

Thats if there is a club down there..

We had the buckets running a few years ago for maybe two or three months. Then the kart guys canned it.

I wouldn't bother dealing with them again.

A DREAM of mine is to win millions, build the most awesomest of kart tracks but deny the local kart guys access to it, lol...

Nutter34
11th June 2010, 01:23
Good luck getting the carb floats to work

I'm with Imdying... Please explain the logic.

The base of the motor is exactly the same. All that has changed is the barrell orientation. The carb is sitting exactly where it was before...

imdying
11th June 2010, 09:03
You thinking 4 stroke Ray?

Ray LeCheminant
11th June 2010, 13:03
You thinking 4 stroke Ray?

Maybe I need to roatate a barrell on ours and take a gander - I just looked at it, and it stumped me, you know me ...confused state of affair...

If it works awesome - ramed intake have got to be a massive benefit

imdying
11th June 2010, 13:47
Maybe I need to roatate a barrell on ours and take a gander - I just looked at it, and it stumped me, you know me ...confused state of affair...

If it works awesome - ramed intake have got to be a massive benefitRemember the carb bolts to the reed block, which bolts to the cases, and you're only turning the barrel.

'Ram air' wouldn't help, the air in the inlet tract has mass, and the speed a mini moto travels out isn't sufficient to generate any pressure there.

Ray LeCheminant
11th June 2010, 22:44
Remember the carb bolts to the reed block, which bolts to the cases, and you're only turning the barrel.

'Ram air' wouldn't help, the air in the inlet tract has mass, and the speed a mini moto travels out isn't sufficient to generate any pressure there.

Yaah I figured that out after I posted....LOL - must be getting confused with the 4 Stroke.....haven't touched the Minimoto for so long now