PDA

View Full Version : South Island winter trip

mainlander
6th June 2010, 17:00
I am heading towards home from BOP on the 14th June for a cruise. My plan is for a round trip around the south island probably we st coast through Haast and wanaka, maybe down to the catlins and up the east coast through Dn and ChCh . I've got 9 days in the south and am very flexible with my plans. Obviously the weather will be the winner on the day and ice and snow will definitely affect the route i take. Im happy to hear any advice of use and even some of no use. I have many questions . The one on my mind atm is the best way to park safely on the ferry. I have only a side stand.

Bikemad
7th June 2010, 12:23
buy yourself a couple of tie downs to take with you as the ferry say they no longer supply them,put ya bike on stand in designated area and copy one of the other bikes for tying down............dont sweat it,piece of cake

mainlander
8th June 2010, 15:53
Thanks Bikemad, I will do that. I'm sure i'll be an old hand at the crossings by my return trip. Nice to see snow closing the roads this week. Hopefully it'll be melted by the time i leave on Monday. I'm planning to make it to south island from Tauranga on day 1. Will be my longest day. Still sorting my touring stuff. Got to get a zip sewn onto my short riding jacket to connect to my bib front pants. Had a givi screen lined up from Jaffaland which theycan't deliver until september so praying for something magical to turn up to save the icy blast a bit. Lucky i planned ahead and grew a solid beard.

Highlander
13th June 2010, 16:18
Wouldn't be the first rider to buy a paper and shove it down the front of your jacket for added warmth.

Well worth taking a couple of tie downs with you to tie your bike down on the ferry. I usually leave mine on the side stand, in gear and with just enough tension on the tie downs to take a little bit of travel out of the springs. Mind you I haven't done a rough crossing yet.

Rogue Rider
13th June 2010, 16:44
I do a ride down there most years around end of June when I can. Weather is usually quite clear and not too cold, well for a mainlander at least. The Northies tend to be a lil softer in my experience, although I have lived north of Auckland now for 15 years...
I always take thermals, $20 from warehouse, nice snug fitting ones, and they save worrying about papers down the top lol. I ride with leathers, jacket and pants, and carry the wet weather storm jacket overalls for the wet stuff, (if I see any).
I take 2 aerofast tie downs for the ferry, I always get the ratchet ones over the pull tight ones as they hold faster and tighter on the rougher trips across the straight. The better ferry for the trip I find is the Bluebridge, ship seems to be an easier cruise in rough weather, and food is more cost effective.

If you have 9 days, thats quite a good length of time for a ride. Depending on where you want to go, you could cover a majority of the Island. I ride the full circuit every 2 years and find it quite exciting and achievable.
My last itinerary was as follows: Blenheim - Takaka and Golden Bay up to Cape Farewell. Takaka - Greymouth, Greymouth - ChCh over Arthurs Pass. ChCh - Twizel - cromwell - Milton. Milton to Invercargil via the Catlin scenic route. Invercargil - Manapouri - Milford Sound. Milford Sound - Queenstown - Haast Pass - Greymouth. Greymouth - Hamner Springs via Lewis Pass. Hamner Springs - Picton. South Island done.

shafty
13th June 2010, 19:45
Sounds ike FUN! Enjoy!

mainlander
20th June 2010, 00:33
Thanks for the advice and tips guys. All is going well. Am in Dunedin with 5 days to go. Had 10 days from go to whoa. Had a nice ride from wanaka through cromwell and frankton down to gore and Balclutha and up to dunedin today 450 km. Bloody good riding country and not too cold.

mainlander
25th June 2010, 11:46
Well I'm back home now with 3345km under my belt. It's a great country to ride around. I was extremely lucky that I missed most of the crap weather and cruised through all the passes either before the snow came ar after it had all cleared. The road was challenging on the lower west coast from Ross through to Haast due to extremely excessive use of grit, sometimes what looks like a dumped truck load of grit. In southland the roads were excellent with beautiful cambers but cow shit and effluent dumped on the roads, slippery and you DONT want to come off on that crap. Otago Roads were easily the best. Best Of Canterbury was leaving SH1 at St Andrews and via pareora gorge through Cave to Fairlie and Burkes Pass to Tekapo. This is one of the Must do's . My biggest dissapointment was missing out on the Catlins, had to head for Dunedin to catch the last test at the Brook, so unfinished business. Best of North Island was a night ride from Wellington up to taihape on my way home to Tauranga. Hardly any traffic and left Levin at 6.30pm with 12 degrees Celsius. Caught the Maori game vs England in Taihape pub watching with Ben Robinson's Grandmother. Didn't meet any other riders doing similar. It is possible to believe you are the only one smart enough (or silly enough, take your pick), to do the both islands round trip. Now... where to next. perhaps queensland in cyclone season--NAH!