PDA

View Full Version : Hello new customers to the BigTime plan, we're terminating your plan again!

Blackshear
6th June 2010, 22:06
So, telecom is yet again scrapping their unlimited data plan.
That's two in as many years.

The fuck are us Linux.iso neckbeards going to do?
For the past 4 months I've had some shit 20gb cap plans while flatting, and have since moved back home to glorious all-you-can-eat since last week and downloaded 300GB (Of Linux OS updates).

I'll kill myself, don't think I wont do it!

Hitcher
6th June 2010, 22:24
Telecom isn't an ISP, they're a phone company.

Gubb
6th June 2010, 22:32
Probably need to focus the rest of their services full time on XT now that they are defending that shitheap.

I was on Go Large too, forced to pay an extra $10 a month for no noticeable difference, now the cunts are taking that away to?

Eat a dick Paul Reynolds.

mikeey01
6th June 2010, 23:11
Telecom isn't an ISP, they're a phone company.

Telecom isn't a phone company either, they're into creating grief and pain with a service on the side that works, sometimes.

Virago
6th June 2010, 23:18
Vote with your feet - transfer to another ISP that will allow you download the entire internet each month for $60.

Blackshear
6th June 2010, 23:28
Vote with your feet - transfer to another ISP that will allow you download the entire internet each month for $60.

I intend to, once I find an ISP that allows this.

DarkLord
6th June 2010, 23:32
Have you lot seen the new XT ad with the Telecom CEO basically pleading with everyone to "give XT a go?"

At one point in the ad, he takes a call on his phone, halfway through the call, looks down at it and says "bugger", then looks at the camera, smiles and says "just kidding".

Phenomenal advertising. No doubt that will bring people back to XT in droves. :wacko:

EDIT: T'is on Youtube!!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qbw3unQ15Xc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qbw3unQ15Xc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Headbanger
7th June 2010, 00:03
Is that what he does?

The advert makes me want to vomit, I haven't managed to sit through it in its entirety.

Cayman911
7th June 2010, 00:10
to be honest if you're stupid enough to sign up with the you deserve it.

just the name telecom should be a repellent

bastrads wont upgrade the exchange so now i dont have broadband because the new house i moved to has a full exchange. wtf?

its still their bloody fault even though my isp is someone else

EJK
7th June 2010, 00:26
Is that what he does?

The advert makes me want to vomit, I haven't managed to sit through it in its entirety.

Give him a break. He has lost much money and rep that he can't hire Richard anymore (or anyone else) hence using himself as a model.

Bren
7th June 2010, 01:11
So whats the new versions of Ubuntu like now????

Urano
7th June 2010, 05:46
uhm... still don't fall for it... yes, coming from the best so on the planet and using a "marginally supported hw" don't make the thing easy for ubuntians...
right now i'm trying arch, which seems to me way better, but it's obviously targeted to different users.

and we are obviously ot... :D :D

schrodingers cat
7th June 2010, 10:08
Have you lot seen the new XT ad with the Telecom CEO basically pleading with everyone to "give XT a go?"

At one point in the ad, he takes a call on his phone, halfway through the call, looks down at it and says "bugger", then looks at the camera, smiles and says "just kidding".

Doesn't it set off a deep resonance. Buggar = Toyota Hilux = Iconic Kiwi workhorse, reliable blah blah

Brilliant! Lets do lunch sometime

That fucker should try talking on his phone from Q Town to Ingill. Arse

rustyrobot
7th June 2010, 10:12
So, telecom is yet again scrapping their unlimited data plan.
That's two in as many years.

Yeah, I read this in the newspaper too. Have you heard anything from Telecom about it yet? We haven't. That's pretty typical of them too. I have scoured their website trying to find some information about it, but no luck. Do you have any idea what sort of plan we are likely to get shifted to, or when it is going to come into effect? Might have to hold off on downloading some 'updates' until I know for sure.

sil3nt
7th June 2010, 10:16
You go here and click (http://www.xnet.co.nz/hsi/pricing.shtml) "Torrential Data Usage".

Virago
7th June 2010, 10:42
Unfortunately it's the minority who abuse it, who have spoilt it for the rest - those who become obsessed with downloading the entire internet each month, without having to pay for it.

The same thing has happened with Vodafone's "Best Mate" mobile plan, with its "talk as much as you like" feature now being reined in. It appears that some parents are using their Vodafone handsets as "baby monitors" - although why any sane parent would want to have a transmitting cell-phone beside their baby's head for hours each day goes beyond belief...

rainman
7th June 2010, 11:03
and downloaded 300GB (Of Linux OS updates)

300GB of Linux updates in a week... sure. You running an all-distro all-architecture mirror? :)

Phenomenal advertising. No doubt that will bring people back to XT in droves. :wacko:

Telecom are scarily incompetent at doing anything, it seems. Who on earth thought that ad was a good idea? The most complimentary I can be about it is to call it "hokey".

Headbanger
7th June 2010, 11:20
Unfortunately it's the minority who abuse it, who have spoilt it for the rest - those who become obsessed with downloading the entire internet each month, without having to pay for it.

Bullshit, The customers made use of a service sold to them.

Telecom factored in the heavy users when they came up with the plan, in fact the entire plan was marketed to attract them.

Its a disgrace to blame the customers for Telecoms bullshit. They done the sums, sold the service, and put the money in the bank. How many times are people going to accept the "Hey,we want more of your money so we're going fuck you with our big cash extracting strap-on" before they just say fuck it and fuck you. Then Telecoms profits can drop futher and Telecom will go and fuck other loyal customers with their strap-on.

Its about time NZ'ers viewed Telecom for the shitbags they are and stopped signing up for their bullshit services.

And its about time people stopped blaming the customers, They paid for the service they used, Thats what they signed up for and that is what was offered.

DarkLord
7th June 2010, 11:31
I used to work at one of those Telecom retail stores. I was expected to sell, sell, sell, XT despite the fact that no one wanted it and everyone hated it. But, of course, it's my fault for not selling enough. Worst job I ever had in my life. Soooooooooo glad I got out of there before the late December onwards XT crashes.

Blackshear
7th June 2010, 12:08
300GB of Linux updates in a week... sure. You running an all-distro all-architecture mirror? :)

I just like to be on the leading edge of the distro's :msn-wink:

The same thing has happened with Vodafone's "Best Mate" mobile plan, with it's "talk as much as you like" feature now being reined in. It appears that some parents are using their Vodafone handsets as "baby monitors" - although why any sane parent would want to have a transmitting cell-phone beside their baby's head for hours each day goes beyond belief...

You expect people, who sign up to an UNLIMITED DATA PLAN to not make use of it? Frankly, that's just stupid. Not only did they do it once, but they did it twice - even removing the upload cap the second time.
"The rest" as you say, would be better suited to a 2GB base package if they aren't going to use an all-you-can-eat package. Your needs do not equal my needs, and telecom marketed a plan for my needs twice.

http://telecom.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2064 , for those interested.

Virago
7th June 2010, 12:10
As I said, if Telecom aren't meeting your needs, take your custom elsewhere.

No-one else will match it? Go figure...

Perhaps you should blame the other ISPs for not meeting the market...?

spookytooth
7th June 2010, 16:38
As I said, if Telecom aren't meeting your needs, take your custom elsewhere.

No-one else will match it? Go figure...

Perhaps you should blame the other ISPs for not meeting the market...?

Arn't all the other isp's hands tied by tellicon
,as they all have to buy the services off them to start with ?

Flip
7th June 2010, 17:24
I am so dark about telecom at the moment I could hit them.

Some plonker called up the other night from Teleass and talked about some plan or the other that would allow us to call a NZ number free. I said I would look into it but would not be getting into any contract with Teleass.

Well it seems my internet has stopped working. When I called them my old all you can eat plan has been changed to a 5mb plan and I have been contracted so its going to cost me money to change plans. I was that mad I gave the poor asian help desk a blast and hung up.

I have written to Teleass telling them they have acted in an unreasonable and misleading manner and to change my plan back immediately back to the way it was.

I do not expect them to do swat so I fully expect to be changing my work, home phones to another provider on Thursday which gives them 48 hours to do some thing.

Mom
7th June 2010, 17:59
Eat a dick Paul Reynolds.

I feel he may have to eat a tiny bit more than that soon enough. Who would have thunk it when he took this job on he would have been facing down so much shit. Lucky he is paid well. Wonder what his exit package is worth...

twotyred
7th June 2010, 18:05
I feel he may have to eat a tiny bit more than that soon enough. Who would have thunk it when he took this job on he would have been facing down so much shit. Lucky he is paid well. Wonder what his exit package is worth...

he's leaving to avoid having to suck the large one...

Owl
7th June 2010, 18:19
Its about time NZ'ers viewed Telecom for the shitbags they are and stopped signing up for their bullshit services.

There's better???

I don't see too many other ISP's advertising ADSL2 in this area, if at all. Speed is 5-6 times faster than Orcon was and at no extra real cost. Shitbags maybe, but better than the other shitbags that still owe me $64.

Headbanger
7th June 2010, 18:49
There's better???

I don't see too many other ISP's advertising ADSL2 in this area, if at all. Speed is 5-6 times faster than Orcon was and at no extra real cost. Shitbags maybe, but better than the other shitbags that still owe me $64.

If the ADSL2 hardware is there then any ISP can on-sell it to you.

Is there better?

Well, there are companies I would rather do business with. Orcon is not one of them.

The crap services we get sold is due to Telecom taking all the money as profit rather then investing it in a modern and capable network, The other ISP's are screwed before they even start.

Motig
7th June 2010, 19:36
Amazing isn't it. You sign up for an unlimited download plan and then you get some pratt blaming you for using it. Would this mean if you won lotto $1,000,000 you would only keep $50 because you don't think you'd use it all ? Mean while in the real world anyone on bigtime should download to their hearts content after all you paid for the soon to be terminated service so get going.

marty
7th June 2010, 19:52
Give him a break. He has lost much money and rep that he can't hire Richard anymore (or anyone else) hence using himself as a model.

yet funniliy enough, Rob Fyfe appears in multiple AirNZ ads (naked even) along with AirNZ staff not being paid any more than their weekly pay packet (they are actually lining up to be in the ads with Rob), and those ads work? How many Telecom employees would be doing the same?(middle management don't count - they're just arse licking)

DarkLord
8th June 2010, 03:22
Would be interesting to find out just how many Telecom employees have jumped ship because of the XT debarcle.

Swoop
8th June 2010, 09:18

He obviously goes fishing on a regular basis... not. Going by the squeaky clean, brand new gear that he's wearing, I guess he has pocketed a nice new set of equipment on the company account.

I'll fucking laugh the next time XT craps out and he has to eat humble pie.

Tell-lie-con. Just say "NO!".:ar15:

Big Dave
8th June 2010, 10:43
downloaded 300GB (Of Linux OS updates).

The reason they scrapped it is goobers doing 300gb downloads.

Thanks.

Blackshear
8th June 2010, 16:39

Thanks.

You're welcome.

EJK
8th June 2010, 23:07

What part of "unlimited" they did not understand?

Sentox
9th June 2010, 08:20
What part of "unlimited" they did not understand?

The part where customers might actually use it.

Pixie
9th June 2010, 10:28
So whats the new versions of Ubuntu like now????

......9.10:

mashman
9th June 2010, 10:40
Does she bunt tu? :shifty:

Ixion
9th June 2010, 10:56

Thanks.

300GB is hardly big time. The mere fact that the number is in GB not PB indicates that it's small stuff. The fact that people would think it is shows how archaic this country is.

We ARE in the 22nd century you know, the last Morse key was retired some years ago.

Thank hevaens I have a 40MB unlimited pipe at work. Anything for home I just save to a portable 1TB drive.

DangerMice
9th June 2010, 14:00
Mean while in the real world anyone on bigtime should download to their hearts content after all you paid for the soon to be terminated service so get going.

Yeah tried that and they've "traffic managed" me down to 15kb/s. I've only downloaded 75GB in the last 3 weeks, hardly the terrabytes they were moaning about.

Blackshear
9th June 2010, 17:44
Yeah tried that and they've "traffic managed" me down to 15kb/s. I've only downloaded 75GB in the last 3 weeks, hardly the terrabytes they were moaning about.

Yeah, my line speed used to be around 11mbps overnight and 6 during the day. Now we're at 5mbps overnight and 3.5 during the day. Lol.

DangerMice
9th June 2010, 19:13
Yeah normal http traffic I usually sit at around 10-11mbps, however I was downoading SQL Server 2008 Express last night, 150MB at 15kb/s = painful.

Fatjim
9th June 2010, 21:04
300GB is hardly big time. The mere fact that the number is in MB not PB indicates that it's small stuff. The fact that people would think it is shows how archaic this country is.

We ARE in the 22nd century you know, the last Morse key was retired some years ago.

Thank hevaens I have a 40MB unlimited pipe at work. Anything for home I just save to a portable 1TB drive.

Are you competing with DangerousB as to who can spout the most bullshit?

Elysium
9th June 2010, 21:07
Hasn't Linux died off yet?:scratch:

pete376403
9th June 2010, 22:32

Poor sod only got an extra $5500 per week with the last tax cuts, too. Reduced to taking a part time job making crappy ads so he can make ends meet

Ixion
9th June 2010, 23:11
Are you competing with DangerousB as to who can spout the most bullshit?

My laptop is 1.5 TB. My desktop is 6TB internal and 4 TB overflow to an external SATA drive. If that runs short I can overflow to 20 TB on the SAN.

300 GB is trivial. What's bullshit about that?

Gremlin
9th June 2010, 23:16
with unlimited plans, yeah, storing is the most expensive part. Then make it redundant so you don't have to get it all over should something happen, and it gets expensive real fast :(

Big Dave
10th June 2010, 00:29
My business, videos and entertainment runs about 20gb a month.

Gubb
9th July 2010, 16:54
I got my letter today. Mid-August the cunts are cutting me off.

Anyone willing to share who they're jumping ship to? I've had a look, and so far TelstraClear seems to be the best deal, but only with about 30Gb. Last 2 months i've done 120Gb-ish per month.

Just as I was starting to the good at Modern Warafre 2 as well.

Wankers.

Blackshear
9th July 2010, 16:57
Yeah, mate at work said he gets cut off just before september.
Oh well, guess whose lines are gonna be saturated?
Yet to get my letter, however.

Big Dave
9th July 2010, 17:05
Just as I was starting to the good at Modern Warafre 2 as well.

Wankers.

I don't think the other players will like hearing you call them that.

Dave Lobster
9th July 2010, 17:15
Our letter came today. They suggest we go onto their 40 gig a month plan, at $20 a month more. This, despite us regularly downloading 80 gigs a month.
Is everyone at Telecom a genius?

Gremlin
9th July 2010, 17:36
they just want more money. Got the letter, also suggested 40gb, 3 months credit of $20, if you agree. No action, you go on explorer? Same price, 20gb a month. No details about if you shift to explorer after 3 months, which costs the same

SpankMe
9th July 2010, 19:16
Telecom is ending it uncapped broadband plan Big Time. :angry: Just got a letter saying I'm being kicked off it next month. :mad:

Going from using 150-200GB/month down to only 20GB is going to be fucking miserable. It's barely enough to backup KB to my home server on a regular basis, let alone get some HD vids. :(

I don't suppose any other ISPs offer uncapped plans? Or at least better than the 20-40GB/month Telescum plans.

Ronin
9th July 2010, 19:19
sending pm big fulla... or not as it turns out lol

Pm me and I will give you some details dude.

SpankMe
9th July 2010, 19:22

email or MSN on: spankme@kiwibiker.co.nz :)

Genie
9th July 2010, 19:27
I packed a big shit at telecom not long ago and got my 20g for $30 p'month. I was very nice and polite and did not swear just siad i was leaving and going elsewhere...but for you big boys that use lots...good luck. They're all rogues and are out to make money not friends.

Gubb
9th July 2010, 20:13

C'mon. Don't hold out on the rest of us. What's the Ace up your sleeve?

rustyrobot
9th July 2010, 20:20
I don't suppose any other ISPs offer uncapped plans? Or at least better than the 20-40GB/month Telescum plans.

I have the same issue now, with about the same download rate. My friend has suggested their plan which is with slingshot....

EDITED this post as I got it wrong and the plan I suggested is only available in Whangarei. Sucky.

Jizah
9th July 2010, 20:32
http://www.nznet.co.nz/services/dsl_broadband.php

100gb for $79.95 could be a go.

Ronin
9th July 2010, 21:00

I will logon into work and double check...

Ronin
9th July 2010, 21:27

Horizon Pacific. 4 Speed options. Don't be expecting 79.99 though lol. We resell it as well but I cant find the pricing at the moment.

sil3nt
9th July 2010, 22:07
I already posted a good suggestion for ISP on page 1!

http://www.xnet.co.nz/

Pay for what you use. You can set the cap. Even a plan for all you hardcore downloaders.

SpankMe
12th July 2010, 13:27
Looks like I'll be moving to Sligshot as it appears they're the only ISP that has free unlimited off peak downloading. 2AM - 8AM for the Pro plan.

Anyone got anything to say about Slingshot?

bogan
12th July 2010, 13:42
slingshot is good when it works, but their support team are pretty shit, though they do refund your account if you are out of interents for extended periods of time. I'd use them again if they have a significantly better deal, otherwise not.

Ronin
12th July 2010, 13:45
+1 to the support comment. It is truly shite and I deal with all the ISP's. Them and vodafone.

Mom
12th July 2010, 14:08
Ok you smart ones. I need to get a phone and internet connection for my mother in the rest home I am putting her in :pinch: She is not a huge surfer, but uses skype and web cam to talk to her family overseas everyday, so she needs a bit of speed so the video streams reasonably, she also plays on MS Gaming Zone. She will be using a PC not a lap top so it cant be wireless, or can it if we do something to her PC? It has to be cheap, as cheap.

Gubb
12th July 2010, 18:37
5 Gig plan should be heaps.

Max Preload
13th July 2010, 11:26
Ok you smart ones. I need to get a phone and internet connection for my mother in the rest home I am putting her in :pinch: She is not a huge surfer, but uses skype and web cam to talk to her family overseas everyday, so she needs a bit of speed so the video streams reasonably, she also plays on MS Gaming Zone. She will be using a PC not a lap top so it cant be wireless, or can it if we do something to her PC? It has to be cheap, as cheap.

Wireless may in fact the only viable option depending on the lines coming into the home - it doesn't matter if it's a desktop or laptop for that purpose. I would suggest Woosh (http://www.woosh.com/ContentClient/Internet/InternetOverview.aspx) as a possibility but it will depend on the physical location as to available coverage.

avgas
13th July 2010, 11:37
have since moved back home to glorious all-you-can-eat since last week and downloaded 300GB (Of Linux OS updates).
What the fire truck?
How can you have that many updates - not even Datacom would do that kind of updating on their servers.
Go Mint man, save yourself from Terrabytes of patches.

Blackshear
13th July 2010, 16:46
What the fire truck?
How can you have that many updates - not even Datacom would do that kind of updating on their servers.
Go Mint man, save yourself from Terrabytes of patches.

Perhaps I should rephrase. 500GB of 'Linux OS updates' and 'streaming videos'.

Fatjim
13th July 2010, 17:43
get a life guys. Stop wanking at home.

piston broke
13th July 2010, 18:39
bah humbug,
i just got my letter today.
i will be checking all your links,cheers.
screw telescumbag

Slicksta
13th July 2010, 20:45
I can understand it from telecoms point of view the thing was is that the hardcore leechers were constantly finding ways round the traffic management software I have seen people almost max out adsl 2+ just by circumventing there traffic shaping software,so when your talking about 200+gigs a day that would get really expensive very fast from telecoms point of view why would they continue such a plan?

The flat I am in at the moment are moving to slingshot with our telecom number ported over to a voip phoneline + 50 gig per month extra not to bad at $129.95 for 75gig on peak 2-8am unlimited including a phoneline. I really hope slingshot have the bandwidth to cope with everyone moving from big time. If anyone in Hamilton is interested www.satlan.com provide wireless symmetric 6mbit connection with unlimited data for $60 good service but set up fee is high and you have to be with in LOS with one of there repeater stations.

Gremlin
14th July 2010, 01:02
using download management software is hardly getting around their rules. I used it from day dot because I could queue up 20+ downloads and instead of the whole lot coming at once, it managed them. Telecom simply didn't know what it was doing.

DangerMice
14th July 2010, 08:18
What's vodafone like? For the same price as we were paying for total home + big time upgrade, vodafone (land line & broadband) offers 30GB (about what we use) vs the 20GB telecom will offer for the same price.

Slicksta
15th July 2010, 22:18
using download management software is hardly getting around their rules. I used it from day dot because I could queue up 20+ downloads and instead of the whole lot coming at once, it managed them. Telecom simply didn't know what it was doing.

Download management sw was not the way to get around bigtime traffic management

bogan
16th July 2010, 09:23
Download management sw was not the way to get around bigtime traffic management

what was the way? proxy download sites? i tried doing some hotfileing on my borthers bigtime plan, took hours for a single linux distro cos they capped the speed from the hotfile server.

shrub
16th July 2010, 13:09
I'm not going to enjoy losing my unlimited broadband, so any suggestions?

Slicksta
16th July 2010, 18:00
what was the way? proxy download sites? i tried doing some hotfileing on my borthers bigtime plan, took hours for a single linux distro cos they capped the speed from the hotfile server.

Using youtube for a referrer site in your download manager
Before that using the ip address of the website for downloading off rs mu ect

HungusMaximist
24th August 2010, 17:00
I just need to know if there are any alternatives to Telecom Big Time plan out there.

Last month we did 120 gigs, but that's not a reflection of our monthly usage as we just want to eat up as much before it plan cancels out in a couple of days.

Chur.