PDA

View Full Version : The Coast to Coast ride

Slingshot
19th November 2003, 16:51
Does anyone know if the Coast to Coast ride still happens? It's run between Himatangi to Herbertville with a stop off in Woodville. It use to be in early December but I don't know if it still happens. Anybody?

Lee Rusty
19th November 2003, 17:25
Not sure - I think it got called off after a fatal on the ride a year or so back, but i could be wrong.

merv
19th November 2003, 18:35
Originally posted by Lee Rusty
Not sure - I think it got called off after a fatal on the ride a year or so back, but i could be wrong.

Nope the ride has kept going and I've been on most of them.

Last year's photos here http://bikemerv.topcities.com/road0501.html Turnout was a bit light because it pissed with rain that morning and blew like crazy later in the day - about 150 turned up instead of the usual 500 or so.

I hear this year it runs on December 13 from Himatangi to Akitio instead of to Herbertville.

See you there.

merv
19th November 2003, 19:00
Damn after just checking the date and posting it above I now realise I won't see you there this year because I am committed to a function in Napier that weekend.

You will see on my website photos of this ride for most years except I missed 2001 (wife's old man died just beforehand) and now it looks like I'll miss this year away in Napier.

Someone else will have to take photos for us and post them here huh!!

merv
1st December 2003, 18:37
Remember this is on Saturday next week and I can't be there so who's going to pst the photos from the ride?

LB
1st December 2003, 18:47
Sorry Merv, I'll be at Pukekohe.

Slingshot
1st December 2003, 20:26
Don't worry Merv, I'm (GSXR250R) heading up with my wife (CBR250R), brother in law (FXR150) and parents in law(BMW R100RS) plus a couple of friends(GSX750R). The camp site is booked and I'll take the digital camera.
Can I email the photos to you to post them? I'm not sure how the image posting thing works.

Cheers John

merv
3rd December 2003, 16:33
Originally posted by Slingshot
I'm not sure how the image posting thing works.

Cheers John

Make sure your photos aren't too big i.e. say keep them to a good screen size to post here like 800 x 600 or less and then you can go down to the "Attach file" bit when posting a message then hit the "Browse" button to find your files downloaded from your camera to your PC to attach a file, and go from there by submitting your message. Just post multiple messages to attach all your photos one at a time.

Slingshot
8th December 2003, 19:05
Is anyone else planning on going on this ride????

Coldkiwi
9th December 2003, 11:48
how far is it and when does it start? I have my cousins wedding at 4pm so I'd need to be back in howick by 2:30 probably. I get the feeling its no where near auckland though, am I right?

merv
9th December 2003, 12:00
Yeah starts at Himatangi Beach about 500kms from Auckland and ends at Akitio Beach about 600kms from Auckland. You wouldn't want to miss the wedding. As in my posts above I'm missing the ride this year due to going to a function in Hawkes Bay.

merv
9th December 2003, 12:02
Originally posted by Lynda Blair
Sorry Merv, I'll be at Pukekohe.

Coast to Coast is this Saturday.

LB
9th December 2003, 18:07
Sorry Merv, got my weekends mixed up - it's being blonde. I'm at Manfeild this weekend so will no doubt see heaps of bikes on the road on Sat morning on my way north.

merv
9th December 2003, 19:46
Originally posted by Lynda Blair
Sorry Merv, got my weekends mixed up - it's being blonde.

Time you put that black rinse through your hair like you used to - like back when my hair was a bit thicker.

Slingshot
9th December 2003, 22:09
Lynda, why don't you stop off at Himatangi on the way up to Manfield. We may be able to convince you to come along for the ride
:niceone:

LB
10th December 2003, 04:50
Merv: it was a RED rinse, not black!! (matched my jacket at the time!)

Slingshot: that's not a bad suggestion - how will I recognise you? I may be.....wait for it....in the car. We often take the car to Manfeild as it's easier than lugging our bike gear around all day. What time do you leave Himatangi Beach?

Slingshot
10th December 2003, 11:24
We'll be at Himatangi from about 9:30 and I think we'll be heading out around 10:30. I guess it depends how many bikes turn up as to how long the regerstration.

I'll be with a group of a five bikes, I've got a black Suzuki GSXR250R Slingshot & my wife rides a grey Honda CBR250R Huricane. There will also be a light blue BMW R100RS, a green Suzuki FXR150 & a blue & white Suzuki GSXR750.
I wear a blueish gray & black Spyke Jacket and I'll be wearing dark blue jeans.

If I see someone turn up in a cage I'll assume it's you and I come and say hello.

LB
10th December 2003, 16:23
Slingshot: will look out for you if we make it out to Himatangi - we should be able to fit it in. We'll be in a dark blue Commodore with a big "Shoei" sticker on the back window. To recognise me, think about how Elle Macpherson and Cindy Crawford look....NOT!!

Slingshot
14th December 2003, 18:24
We're back from the ride...what a weekend!!! :rockon:

The ride up to Himatangi was a bit on the wet side but just pass Levin the weather cleared up and it didn't take long to dry out.

These photos are of some of the bikes at Himatangi:

Slingshot
14th December 2003, 18:28
These photos are re-fueling at Woodville, just picture 400 odd bikes needing gas and only 4 pumps :shit:

Slingshot
14th December 2003, 18:32
These are a couple of nice bikes I spotted while stopped for lunch in Woodville, unfortunately the key to my Suzuki wouldn't fit either :doh:

Slingshot
14th December 2003, 18:34
And finally, the view at Akitio: :sunny:

LB
14th December 2003, 19:19
Hi Slingshot. Long story but we decided to head straight to P/Nth before Manfeild, rather than come out to Himatangi. Met up with a group of about a dozen of our mates at the Plimmerton weighbridge on the way.