PDA

View Full Version : Triumph Sprint GT

Maha
7th June 2010, 16:52
Reading a wee teaser in the lastest edition of KR over the weekend about the all new Triumph Sprint GT. The ST never really did it for me. I have always wanted to get back onto a Triumph and the GT does do it for me :yes:
Pity is though, it will be avaliable in Blue or Sliver only......no black?:angry:
Still, I do like, so will wait patiently until they arrive on our shores and onto the shop floor.

This could be the bike to tempt me off the CB.

nallac
7th June 2010, 16:54
you feeling rich Maha....

Maha
7th June 2010, 17:02
you feeling rich Maha....

Cant embed the video but heres the link.
They may even throw in a couple of those Robes free....:shifty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U-WR6NX0bM&feature=related

rustic101
7th June 2010, 17:09
Dam you Maha!!!

I have done so much research into getting the ST by summer, now you load this (cool vid btw) and set me off on another research fact finding mission...

Looks similar but will now go and find out

Maha
7th June 2010, 17:14
Dam you Maha!!!

I have done so much research into getting the ST by summer, now you load this (cool vid btw) and set me off on another research fact finding mission...

Looks similar but will now go and find out

Theres a bit about it in Google, you'll find the spec sheet in here. $13K (US)
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/642/6972/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Triumph-Sprint-GT-1050-First-Look.aspx

rustic101
7th June 2010, 17:27
Theres a bit about it in Google, you'll find the spec sheet in here. $13K (US)
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/642/6972/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Triumph-Sprint-GT-1050-First-Look.aspx

Cheers,

Just had a look at the Triumph site and they are saying 9,499 Pounds which thanks to xe.com equates to just under 21K NZD. Given that some 2009 brand new STs are being sold for between 19 and 21 on Tradme I might just hang out until the GT is released here.

Hitcher
7th June 2010, 17:29
It's not just the same without the triple outlet underseat zorst.

sinned
7th June 2010, 17:35
The ST didn't do it for me either, especially following a Speed Triple. Will the GT be any better or will it be another good all rounder without any outstanding points or character. Great motor though - I do miss the sound.

Mom
7th June 2010, 17:43
The ST didn't do it for me either, especially following a Speed Triple. Will the GT be any better or will it be another good all rounder without any outstanding points or character. Great motor though - I do miss the sound.

There is no nicer sound than a triple, put an after market pipe on it and :drool:

AllanB
7th June 2010, 17:46
Surely the Triumph motor IS the character? Otherwise you may as save yourself many thousands and get one of those Bandit 1250 touring jobbies - they are reviewing well and even better when looking at the price. But they are a Suzuki!

Good looking tourer the GT - boring colour though! Out of interest do they re-tune the engine for the ST/GT to give a bit less hp more torque?

Hitcher
7th June 2010, 17:50
There is no nicer sound than a triple, put an after market pipe on it and

All motorcycle engines have their own special aural essence. Riding an L twin with its intoxicating pulse at times still doesn't do it for me quite like an inline four howling its way up its rev range, change after change after change. While I see why some may be captivated by the noise, the sound of a sack full of cats being swung around doesn't grab me as much as the notes the eminate from an even-cylindered engine.

rustic101
7th June 2010, 17:51
Surely the Triumph motor IS the character? Otherwise you may as save yourself many thousands and get one of those Bandit 1250 touring jobbies - they are reviewing well and even better when looking at the price. But they are a Suzuki!

Good looking tourer the GT - boring colour though! Out of interest do they re-tune the engine for the ST/GT to give a bit less hp more torque?

I agree Alan its the character I'm seeking. I have a baby Bandit at the moment and though of stepping up to the daddy version. However while they are cheap as chips they lack the class and style and are 'just another bike'. The speed aspect is not something I personally am seeking, the class however is. I have six months in which to make a decision of 'what next'. I have even considered a fatboy lo, but in reality prefer the touring style..

Mom
7th June 2010, 17:55
All motorcycle engines have their own special aural essence. Riding an L twin with its intoxicating pulse at times still doesn't do it for me quite like an inline four howling its way up its rev range, change after change after change. While I see why some may be captivated by the noise, the sound of a sack full of cats being swung around doesn't grab me as much as the notes the eminate from an even-cylindered engine.

Ok, I will own up to being something of a petrol head and have something of what some may describe as "an issue" with engine sounds in general. My mighty IL4 is capable of giving me goosebumps, so much so I will select a lower than required gear to get up that hill than strictly required just to hear her PURRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I am with you on the sack full of cats being swung around, particularly if the room is too small for that kind of activity.

EJK
7th June 2010, 17:59
I was always a fan of Sprint STs. This is the shizzle!

AllanB
7th June 2010, 18:13
When the GT arrives here any ST's will be discounted to clear them out most likely. And Triumph have been pretty savvy in NZ and the new GT may be the same price as a ST is now.

A Fat Boy, after a visit to Robert for some decent suspenders, would make a fine NZ tourer. It would be happy touring at a pace where you can actually enjoy the views!

carbonhed
7th June 2010, 18:55
For your viewing pleasure...

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/triumph-sprint-gt-review

Maha
7th June 2010, 18:57

I did read both reviews in KR and MT and would agree that the 1250 came out ok, not outstanding or brilliant just ok. Would I buy one? nope.
The GT has a claimed 130HP.
Why they settled for the two colours is beyond me, maybe blue and silver were the top sellers in the Sprint range over the Black and Red? My last three bikes have all been Blue, Triumph need to recognise this and make Black the new Blue:shifty:

oldrider
7th June 2010, 19:56
A sly wee weekend of debauchery and here's Maha talking new bikes! :shit: Maha you just gotta be the "man"! :love: (respect!)

Kiwi Graham
7th June 2010, 20:06
Mmm looks nice, will have to wait and see it in the flesh.
Thinking when the 14 has run its course I'll be looking at one of these......

NZsarge
8th June 2010, 04:52
Remain far from convinced although it surely will have it good points it's hard to say how it'll stack up. One glaring omission is shaft drive which is a given in this market, the parts recycling is getting a bit old. Will be interesting though, price, spec etc..

sinfull
8th June 2010, 08:31
For your viewing pleasure...

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/triumph-sprint-gt-review Good read that, tramlining Hmmm new word for my dictionary, bloody FXR is doing that wickedly at the mo, new tyres may fix i hope !
Not really a tourer man but it sounds like they may have done well here apart from the shaft as nzsarge pointed out !

Big Dave
8th June 2010, 10:37
http://krnewsroom.blogspot.com/2010/05/2011-triumph-sprint-gt.html

It has the best engine fitted in any road bike and the rest of it it quite tasty too.

NZsarge
8th June 2010, 13:24
As far as I can see as yet, it's giving it's existing Triumph customers a slightly more touring based option, it'll be a good and easy bike to ride for sure but it's not moving the game on in any area and it's lagging behind in the odd one or two areas but then again, if they offer it a reasonable price all that might be just fine.

Hitcher
8th June 2010, 20:33
but it's not moving the game on in any area and it's lagging behind in the odd one or two areas

A heartless cynic may note that this is little more than a ZZR1200 missing a cylinder and its carburettors.

Maha
18th August 2010, 16:44
Holeshot have one at a lower price than what was predicted.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports//auction-310633720.htm

Devil
18th August 2010, 17:52
Holeshot have one at a lower price than what was predicted.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports//auction-310633720.htm

Sat on it over the weekend. It's a very long bike (wheelbase). Not bad.
Very inconspicuous I think. Ergo's seem pretty good.
It appears a little plain to me, but then again its target market doesn't want flashy graphics and extra RRRRRR's on the end of its name.
Nice bike. Wouldn't mind taking one for a spin.

Personally i'll be waiting for the new Triumph adventure bike :D

Maha
18th August 2010, 18:31
Yes it is plain, perhaps bordering on drab but it gets rave reviews so far and like you say Devil, its target market is all about doing it in comfort, fuck that style shit.

Big Dave
18th August 2010, 19:09
And the heartless cynic would be wrong.