PDA

View Full Version : Are you registering your bike?

Pages : [1] 2

willytheekid
12th June 2010, 13:41
I would love to know how many people "won't" be registering there bike.:scooter:

As the fines are only $200 a pop for no rego, Im a little reluctant to "bow" before the system and fork over more money for less cover:sick:....so what to do?
Personally Im thinking I might just pay my rego up to the end of june and then put it on hold....indeffinatly!
If the number of 600cc+ bikes registered in NZ was to suddenly drop to say 50-60% of previous records...would they review the act? (Thats ALOT of $$ there lossing) -I think so ( I hope so!) and at $200 a pop for the fine...I can get stopped 3-4 times a year before I exceed the yearly rego cost :shifty:
So please, drop a post to say if your going to rego your ride....as stated Im just curious:done:

Tink
12th June 2010, 13:45
Would you be covered by your Insurance company if you had no rego?

I would happily not pay it, but I also don't like the idea of being stopped ... so not sure!

98tls
12th June 2010, 13:53
Only register mine for 6 months of the year anyway,are there demerits that come with the fine for no rego? if not no doubt there soon will be.

paulmac
12th June 2010, 14:08
I only reg for 6 months as well !!

Coldrider
12th June 2010, 14:13
Mine is on hold for periods when I am not using it. Medical costs in NZ are dirt cheap in real terms and I like the idea of ambos and doctors and others bring me back to good health in times when I may be mashed up on the road, in a coma or what ever, this they do at the drop of a hat no questions asked. It is not all about me. So when I ride, I pay.

wickle
12th June 2010, 14:33
I've re register one for another year. I would not be surprised if the revenue gathers have a wee blitz other the next few months.( stop check reg/warrant ) quick way of getting quota.

BMWST?
12th June 2010, 14:37
i think if lots and lots of people dont register their bikes the fine for not registering might go up.Going to cntinue to register mine andsee what happens later in the year and or next year.

JimO
12th June 2010, 14:54
their ........cletus ..........their

porky
12th June 2010, 15:02
I will rego, and should i have the misfortune to become a statistic, ill be making sure i get everything out of the system. Yeah its a load of BS, but its not like they care or are going to have a change of heart. We represent an easy means of gathering revenue. Rich enough to ride, rich enough to prop up a corrupt system that lost its purpose and ideals a long time ago. Now the system is so screwed up its easier to shaft the minority than fix it. So no, my protest will be to pay my money and keep riding, no ones forcing me to give up what i enjoy doing or force me to break the law doing it.

Spuds1234
12th June 2010, 15:06
It will depend on what my insurance company says. If Im covered when its not registered then I'll probably only register it for summer and put it on hold for winter (I ride all year round, but I definitely do more riding in summer. If Im not covered without rego then it will be registered.

My bike will always have a WOF.

Maha
12th June 2010, 16:20
I will rego, and should i have the misfortune to become a statistic, ill be making sure i get everything out of the system. Yeah its a load of BS, but its not like they care or are going to have a change of heart. We represent an easy means of gathering revenue. Rich enough to ride, rich enough to prop up a corrupt system that lost its purpose and ideals a long time ago. Now the system is so screwed up its easier to shaft the minority than fix it. So no, my protest will be to pay my money and keep riding, no ones forcing me to give up what i enjoy doing or force me to break the law doing it.

A well thought out and mature response to a rather rediculous question, one of the better posts in recent tmes in my opinion.

I agree with every word and will also be paying.

bogan
12th June 2010, 16:28
I still got a year at the old rate, after that it'll depend on how I use my bike, and where I park it. If it's not likely to get a ticket from wardens, it's not likely to be registered. Dependant on still being covered for insurance though.

Gremlin
13th June 2010, 01:44
I ride heaps, I'll carry on registering because I'm using it... Simple answer is to ride more, then you get better value for money!! :ride:

EJK
13th June 2010, 01:53
I ride heaps, I'll carry on registering because I'm using it... Simple answer is to ride more, then you get better value for money!! :ride:

Now there is a guy adapting to the change!

:sunny:

swbarnett
13th June 2010, 02:24
Good idea!

Won't work for me, however, as I ride every day anyway. I guess that means that I'm already getting pretty good value for money.

My beef is not whether or not ACC is good value or whether or not I can afford the levy, it's that there is an inequity with cagers and the stated reason just doesn't hold water.

Gubb
13th June 2010, 11:00
Mine expires on July 7. Shit.

New bill is for $517.25 for 12 months. Looks like i'm off to fill out an MR27 tomorrow to get it at the old rate.

gsx katana
13th June 2010, 11:02
Nope, time to get a flip up plate

Gremlin
13th June 2010, 13:24
Won't work for me, however, as I ride every day anyway. I guess that means that I'm already getting pretty good value for money.

My beef is not whether or not ACC is good value or whether or not I can afford the levy, it's that there is an inequity with cagers and the stated reason just doesn't hold water.
Yeah, agreed on that for sure, and don't get me wrong, I helped protest, didn't want it happening etc. However, I do usually do 40,000km+ a year, odds of getting a fine or stopped could be high, bikes are parked in public places etc, its just not worth the risk to me.

Quasievil
13th June 2010, 13:28
Certainly WONT BE registering, Im covered by insurance and WILL accept a ticket if I get one......none for 6 years

The way it seems is the biking community (or a large percentage of it) are complete pushovers, good protest people.

FUCK ACC "yeah right".......................pussies!

Said in gest ;-)

Gremlin
13th June 2010, 13:33

Said in gest ;-)
nah, you're not getting away with that! Handbags at 10 paces :girlfight:

blossomsowner
13th June 2010, 13:43
I agree with Quasi...........my rego has been on hold since before the big protest in welly which I went down to. I will continue to keep it on hold indefinitely. What has happened to the rest of you........stop whining and just don't pay the fees.
I do keep WOF up to date though.

Pixie
17th June 2010, 08:38
Certainly WONT BE registering, Im covered by insurance and WILL accept a ticket if I get one......none for 6 years

The way it seems is the biking community (or a large percentage of it) are complete pushovers, good protest people.

Said in gest ;-)

But it's against the LAW!!!??????

Quasievil
17th June 2010, 08:48
But it's against the LAW!!!??????

yeah and ? civil disobedience is an obligation in this case............I have no choice

Scuba_Steve
17th June 2010, 11:52
Think I'll end up de-registering, all the perks of not paying BS ACC levies with the added bonus of no camera scams & not being easily tracked.

Ixion
17th June 2010, 12:02
De registering doesn't prevent your number being tracked if you still have the plate on. They don't remove the records from the system when you de-register a vehicle.

No plate at all would be a magnet for cops. Better , if you want to go down that path (not advocating it of course, cos it would be ILLEGAL), is to get a dead plate from a wrecked bike.

duckonin
17th June 2010, 12:07
I agree with Quasi...........my rego has been on hold since before the big protest in welly which I went down to. I will continue to keep it on hold indefinitely. ........stop whining and just don't pay the fees.
I do keep WOF up to date though.

How do you manage to get a wof without having current rego ?

Ixion
17th June 2010, 12:11
Don't need rego to get a wof. They don't check it. It's the other way round, you need wof to get rego

st00ji
17th June 2010, 12:21
you could have a KB swap meet - everyone de-reg their bikes and meet up to trade plates.

course, im sure the penalties for getting snapped with such a plate would be much worse than the no rego ones... you'd need to be fairly certain of your gingerbread man skills i'd have thought.

willytheekid
17th June 2010, 13:20
Originally Posted by porky

A well thought out and mature response to a rather rediculous question, one of the better posts in recent tmes in my opinion.

I agree with every word and will also be paying.

A rather rediculous question??? >how is enquiring to the KB community a rediculous question??

Thank you to all for sharing your opinions, As previously stated, this thread was to inquire into what people are "ACTUALLY" doing in regards to the exorborant fees ACC has dumped on us.
And as far a insurance goes, check with your agent...you might be surprised! most insurance companys DO-NOT! require a rego...yup thats right (checked with 5 companys and all stated rego is not a factor in cover or payouts..YAY!!).
WOF...if it aint safe...dont put it on the road! - Keep ya wof upto date and prove your bike is safe and your not an idiot lol
Thanks again for the great feed back everyone, ride safe and keep the post's coming!

PS: Only through actions will change come about, talking & doing.....big difference! -and only one gets things done!

sinfull
17th June 2010, 13:40
And if every man jack goes out and puts their rego on hold what will happen, they will change the rules so you cant put them on hold ! Then legitimate folk who want to store a vehical get slammed in responce to your not paying up !

The op's original question was WHO will be putting reg on hold ? Well why don't you all put ya hand up , oh and ya reg number and address to make it easier for some of the cops on here to find ya if they wanted to !

It's done, the levies have been raised ! A stunt like this will only push for more legeslation against bikers ! I currently have 5 plates on hold, both cars and bikes in various stage projects, do i want to see legeslation brought about that stops me being able to do this ? Rediculous question huh, cost me around 3 hundy for each plate if i have to go back over the pits, which will happen if too many ride (and get caught with plates on hold) !
By the way i think the fine is 200 for non reged bike but the fine goes up dramatically if you ride with a plate on hold, or will you be riding to get a warrent every time ?

Brian d marge
17th June 2010, 13:49

Said in gest ;-)
Ya beat me to it

IF this government and its laws get voted in in the next election , the little respect i had , will evaporate

Stephen

A protest IS a PROTEST ,,,, as in French

HenryDorsetCase
17th June 2010, 14:08
I've been thinking about this a bit. I have decided that if I end up with two road bikes over 600cc, I will register one of them, and swap the plate over. Basically I can only ride one at a time, the "risk" to ACC is the same and I shouldnt have to pay twice to receive a "service" once. Not encouraging anyone else to do it, not making a particularly political stand (though it is in fact a political stand) and its not like I couldnt afford it. I just dont think its right, so I wont participate.

mashman
17th June 2010, 14:09
I'll be paying my rego and will patiently wait for next years hike... it's bound to happen if so many put their rego on hold and the accident rate doesn't change... because costs never stop going up and it'll only get worse with fewer of us paying.

Swoop
17th June 2010, 14:11
Nope.
10 chars.

MSTRS
17th June 2010, 14:27
3 in the shed. All on hold. They're only toys, and a reason to stay on KB, so if occasionally one needs to go get a wof in a strange, out of the way place...so be it.
I said "NO!! I'm not playing anymore." to Nick the Prick.

Corse1
17th June 2010, 15:13
Point 1: Insurance does not care if your ride is registered or not. The wording goes something like .....If the lack of registration contributed to the accident or damage then yes it would not be covered.
Point 2: Even if you were fully legal and had a bald tyre then insurance could still refuse as the bike was not in a roadworthy state.

I have just registered today for 12 months. Once they run out on both bikes I will alternate 6 months each and take the risk for the other six months and ride that bike a little less.
A lot of freinds have never registered their bikes and never likely to and have never been fined.

HenryDorsetCase
17th June 2010, 15:24
I'm going to rely on my natural charm to talk my way out of it if ever stopped by the po po. (Yeah, I know, I'm fucked: even i try to be even more charming than that Arnold on Greenacres)

willytheekid
17th June 2010, 16:08
And if every man jack goes out and puts their rego on hold what will happen, they will change the rules so you cant put them on hold ! Then legitimate folk who want to store a vehical get slammed in responce to your not paying up !

The op's original question was WHO will be putting reg on hold ? Well why don't you all put ya hand up , oh and ya reg number and address to make it easier for some of the cops on here to find ya if they wanted to !

It's done, the levies have been raised ! A stunt like this will only push for more legeslation against bikers ! I currently have 5 plates on hold, both cars and bikes in various stage projects, do i want to see legeslation brought about that stops me being able to do this ? Rediculous question huh, cost me around 3 hundy for each plate if i have to go back over the pits, which will happen if too many ride (and get caught with plates on hold) !
By the way i think the fine is 200 for non reged bike but the fine goes up dramatically if you ride with a plate on hold, or will you be riding to get a warrent every time ?

Good points! thanks for the input, as stated Im Just curious as to what the different veiws of the situation were.

BUT!....unfortunatly, they raised the cost AND lowered the cover....even when we WHERE paying and obeying the law.

Im also surprised no-one has mentioned dirt bikes and farm quads etc.......as (and I was surprised at this!) the majority of motorcycle claims are actually off road related-(see statisticsnz).....so why are they not paying their share? and why are cars etc (who do the majority of damage to bikers) getting off lightly as well ?
The protests didn't work, the online patitions didn't work....so the only option left to us appears to be...not paying?( I liked the six month rego idea tho!).
But as the chap above pointed out, this may effect other riders and may even lead to another price hike.....not what we want!
ROCK...."us".....HARDPLACE lol
Thanks for the great input everyone :) good to see arguments for both sides....still confused about what to do personally, but great to get advise and view points from everyone.

Ride safe all and keep the posts flowing.

-there panel damage..could be our life! (and yet we have to pay more??)

Ixion
17th June 2010, 16:18
I have several vehicles. Obviously, I can only use one at a time. I believe in paying my fair share. I will be licensing A vehicle. That's my fair share

MSTRS
17th June 2010, 17:24
...as (and I was surprised at this!) the majority of motorcycle claims are actually off road related-(see statisticsnz).....so why are they not paying their share?

Waikato Hospital surveyed m/c types over a period in 2008 (I think). They found 80% were from off-road. We can only but guess which fund was involved at ACC.

...and why are cars etc (who do the majority of damage to bikers) getting off lightly as well ....

Please don't buy into this. Approx. 40% of our accidents are because of cars being in the wrong. That is NOT a majority.

Brian d marge
17th June 2010, 17:40
I have several vehicles. Obviously, I can only use one at a time. I believe in paying my fair share. I will be licensing A vehicle. That's my fair share

If you are licensing Quote " A vehicle " let that vehicle be mine ,

Kind Regards and greatest of thanks

Stephen

HenryDorsetCase
17th June 2010, 17:44
If you are licensing Quote " A vehicle " let that vehicle be mine ,

Kind Regards and greatest of thanks

Stephen

:D

excellent point!

Corse1
18th June 2010, 06:48
Vehicles did not get away scott free.....I thought our rego for over 600cc was going up $250 but actually went up $196 to $517.25. Mate went to enquire about his 2WD Hilux deisel. From 1st June it goes up to $583. His rego runs out on 3rd July. It was an easy wind up waving my $321 12 month rego in front of his face.
He reckons now he is subsidising motorcyclists as we are just rich assholes who complained too much so Mr Smith bumped his levies up to compensate. Just another side to the problem....have to see a bit of humour sometimes to ease the pain!!

davereid
18th June 2010, 08:28
I'll be paying my rego and will patiently wait for next years hike... it's bound to happen if so many put their rego on hold and the accident rate doesn't change... because costs never stop going up and it'll only get worse with fewer of us paying.

As I have commented in other posts, I'm not paying, the rego on the last of my motorcycles expired in October last year, and I now have a total of 5 vehicles that are regularly used on the road un-licenced.

Will there be a hike next year ?

Of course. And the point you make about those of us who refuse to pay being a contributing factor is correct, but it is only an aside..

The model ACC use to charge for vehicle accidents is fatally flawed, ACC know this but they don't want to change it, as it they intend to use licensing as a tool to eliminate certain road user groups.

It was calculated during the BIKEOI protests that adding ACC to fuel would cost only a few cents per litre, ($0.115 to be precise) and would cover all ACCs costs.

But ACC don't like that idea, as small fuel efficient motorcycles, and those dreaded Sooters would pay very little. ACC prefer to target vehicles they don't think are safe with punitive charges in an effort to tax them off the road.

ACC know that increasing the tax on a vehicle will have 3 outcomes

1. People will abandon vehicles that are expensive to register in favour of vehicles on the ACC preferred list. (This is the intended outcome of high ACC levies)

2. People will get rid of the second or third vehicle ie reduce fleet size.
(This is an unwanted side effect. A family that halves their vehicle fleet will halve their ACC levies. But are likely to travel just as far in one vehicle. In fact as a result of "dropping people off" instead of them using their own vehicle, the may travel further, with more likely risk to ACC.)

This will result in another round of ACC price rises, as a reduction in the size of the countries vehicle fleet will result in a reduction of ACCs income. But it wont result in a reduction in ACCs liabilities.

3) Some will flout the law.

The easy solution is

a) To abandon "forward funding" of the ACC account.
b) To fully fund it, each year from fuel levies, and or a distance based road user tax.

Fuel price calcs here..
(http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=148919&d=1256760985)

What?
18th June 2010, 09:01
I'm with Ixion; the days of me having four licensed vehicles are over until a fairer system is in place (read that how you will)

Im also surprised no-one has mentioned dirt bikes and farm quads etc.......as (and I was surprised at this!) the majority of motorcycle claims are actually off road related-(see statisticsnz).....so why are they not paying their share?
Please! Go to your room and do your homework!!

mashman
18th June 2010, 12:09
Will there be a hike next year ?

I don't believe there will... but thems is my reasons and i can see justifications for more hikes... but would think that the politicians would see it as a political error... ACC going up every year tsk tsk...

Of course. And the point you make about those of us who refuse to pay being a contributing factor is correct, but it is only an aside..

If there is another hike, you can be yaw ass it'll be seen as more than just an aside...

The easy solution is

a) To abandon "forward funding" of the ACC account.
b) To fully fund it, each year from fuel levies, and or a distance based road user tax.

The easiest and fairest way forwards it putting it on fuel... there's no questioning that, other than why don't they do it??? funding wise, as long as last years bill is paid what's the problem? why spend money on thinking about any other way to do it? Because fuel hikes attract media attention becuase it then affects everyone... so shaft the healthcare system to keep the voters happy?

HenryDorsetCase
18th June 2010, 12:20
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/3823692/Smith-satisfied-over-ACC-hearing-consultation

litany of Smith bullshit continues. What a fucker

mashman
18th June 2010, 12:55
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/3823692/Smith-satisfied-over-ACC-hearing-consultation

litany of Smith bullshit continues. What a fucker

"I don't think an increase from about $20m a year to $80m a year is fair on those who pay the levies in ACC." oh fucking really... doesn't he realise that that's the whole point behind ACC... We pay for each other, oh good god... where the hell does he get a 60 mill difference from? are these stats from 1990 - 2010 or what? how much does a hearing aid cost? How long do the batteries last?

How many are claiming for hearing aids?, not that it really matters, but if a hearing aid costs $2500 (http://www.hearingprofessionals.co.nz/faq.htm#Q4) and let's say you get a new one every year... that means that there are 32,000 people wearing hearing aids... but this is a one off cost, unless 32,000 people a year require a hearing aid... so somewhere along the lines we went from 8,000 to 32,000 people with hearing problems requiring aids PER YEAR... i'd love to see the figures on this one too...

I reckon that's a good call HDC

willytheekid
19th June 2010, 11:33
I'm with Ixion; the days of me having four licensed vehicles are over until a fairer system is in place (read that how you will)

Please! Go to your room and do your homework!!

LOL, I did!...honest! And the stats CLEARLY show the majority ARE off road related, maybe you would like to elaborate.....or update NZ statistics, cos there pritty sure of there findings.
And -Quote:Waikato Hospital surveyed m/c types over a period in 2008 (I think). They found 80% were from off-road. We can only but guess which fund was involved at ACC.-more proof!
....are you a farmer? lol
I certainly don't want to see more bike riders getting hit with the bill, but I do believe in paying your share...and not allowing others to foot the bill.
-Now get to the back of the class! lol

Gibbo89
19th June 2010, 11:38
I would love to know how many people "won't" be registering there bike.:scooter:

As the fines are only $200 a pop for no rego, Im a little reluctant to "bow" before the system and fork over more money for less cover:sick:....so what to do?
Personally Im thinking I might just pay my rego up to the end of june and then put it on hold....indeffinatly!
If the number of 600cc+ bikes registered in NZ was to suddenly drop to say 50-60% of previous records...would they review the act? (Thats ALOT of $$ there lossing) -I think so ( I hope so!) and at $200 a pop for the fine...I can get stopped 3-4 times a year before I exceed the yearly rego cost :shifty:
So please, drop a post to say if your going to rego your ride....as stated Im just curious:done:

i just filled out an mr27 form and paid for 15 months of rego for my 250cc. cost me 420 something for 15 months.

rustys
19th June 2010, 11:54
HELL NO!!!!! havn't done so for a large number of years, (i have got warrants though) as i have several road bikes, what i have saved over the years ,thousands and thousands of dollars,has well and truely covered a heap of fines and i will gladly pay if pulled up.
I dont ride stupidly and dont attract attention, also i dont park in the obvious places (ie parking wardens etc)
What we pay is far to high, its just another bloody TAX.

Blinkwing
19th June 2010, 12:04
"I don't think an increase from about $20m a year to $80m a year is fair on those who pay the levies in ACC." oh fucking really... doesn't he realise that that's the whole point behind ACC... We pay for each other, oh good god... where the hell does he get a 60 mill difference from? are these stats from 1990 - 2010 or what? how much does a hearing aid cost? How long do the batteries last?

How many are claiming for hearing aids?, not that it really matters, but if a hearing aid costs $2500 (http://www.hearingprofessionals.co.nz/faq.htm#Q4) and let's say you get a new one every year... that means that there are 32,000 people wearing hearing aids... but this is a one off cost, unless 32,000 people a year require a hearing aid... so somewhere along the lines we went from 8,000 to 32,000 people with hearing problems requiring aids PER YEAR... i'd love to see the figures on this one too...

I reckon that's a good call HDC

I have two hearing aids. What he's saying is bullshit because there's a limit of how many times you can claim for hearing aids. And the government certainly don't give you a new hearing aid every year ... more like every 4-5 years if they see fit.

Batteries are bloody expensive & the government/ACC don't subsidise them. I have to pay for them out of my own pocket.

Maha
19th June 2010, 12:17
Interesting that, I put the Yamaha rego on hold in March, its due now (in a few days) and the cost is at the old price, even though they a charging the new rate now?

What?
19th June 2010, 12:45
LOL, I did!...honest! And the stats CLEARLY show the majority ARE off road related, maybe you would like to elaborate.....or update NZ statistics, cos there pritty sure of there findings.
And -Quote:Waikato Hospital surveyed m/c types over a period in 2008 (I think). They found 80% were from off-road. We can only but guess which fund was involved at ACC.-more proof!
....are you a farmer? lol
I certainly don't want to see more bike riders getting hit with the bill, but I do believe in paying your share...and not allowing others to foot the bill.
-Now get to the back of the class! lol

Ah, now there's the thing. The stat's you mention are quite correct, the issue is simply that off-road incidents are not funded from the same account that on-road incidents are.

MSTRS
19th June 2010, 14:30
Ah, now there's the thing. The stat's you mention are quite correct, the issue is simply that off-road incidents are not funded from the same account that on-road incidents are.

Well, that's a matter of conjecture.
We don't really know which ACC fund is using for these payments. Many of us hazarded the guess that if the form says 'motorcycle involved' that the road fund was used. But we just don't know.
The problem is that StatsNZ, MOT, ACC and others all collect and collate stats for different reasons, and it's pointless trying to compare one with another to make sense of the ACC issue.

scracha
19th June 2010, 15:17
Nope. Rego going on hold on TDM, 2 other cheap old CBR hurricanes being converted to race bikes - primarily as a result of the ACC hike. I'll rego one of them for 6 months in summer...that's kinda fair. Likewise the girlfriend's diesel hilux which is used a handful of days for towing the horse box and getting my bikes to the track. Vioala, just saved over 2 grand a year, ACC has LOST money from me. Might consider the odd "dirty" ride in Winter as can't justify extra $258 (and similar for Hilux) for amount of usage the bike gets over that period.

Only in New Zealand would it be cheaper to race a CBR than ride it on the road.

Maybe the gubbernmint should consider pre-pay per day registrations or summit :-)

sleemanj
19th June 2010, 15:28
If you are in the Tasman district, you might want to think twice about going on-hold.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/3831632/Blitz-on-bikers-sparks-tension

Tasman district road policing manager Inspector Hugh Flower said that from July 1, police would be asked to spend 15 minutes of their shift time to stop and check motorcycle and moped riders.

qwertydog
19th June 2010, 15:32
Short Answer. Nope

Big Col
19th June 2010, 16:15
Will register 1 vehicle, All others NO.

Chrislost
19th June 2010, 16:58

The change has happened.
Its done.
They wont reverse it.

crazyhorse
19th June 2010, 17:08
I'll be registering mine - and keeping it insured :yes:

hospitalfood
19th June 2010, 17:09
I kept both my bikes and my car registered before the hike in cost, now most of the time they are all on hold, or 1 will be registered and the others on hold.

Fuck em, I dont want to pay for off road bike crashes.

Sick off the government taking the piss. Should be able to pay one Reg fee per road user that covers all the road users vehicles anyway.

Max Preload
20th June 2010, 13:05
I'll be registering mine - and keeping it insured :yes:

It's still insured if you've paid the premium regardless of whether it's licensed or not. :rolleyes:

Smifffy
20th June 2010, 13:52
I may not own the road, but if I've paid the price of admission and y'all haven't then GTFO of my way! This is more likely to apply when I'm in my aussie tank ;)

DMNTD
20th June 2010, 13:56
Will register 1 vehicle, All others NO.

Same...1 car, 3 bikes on hold...50cc scooter rego'd

scracha
20th June 2010, 16:05
I may not own the road, but if I've paid the price of admission and y'all haven't then GTFO of my way! This is more likely to apply when I'm in my aussie tank ;)

Why should we boycott BP BTW?

crazyhorse
20th June 2010, 16:34
It's still insured if you've paid the premium regardless of whether it's licensed or not. :rolleyes:

My registration was up in March - so was renewed for a year - but what I was meaning, was that I will be insuring it as well as keeping the rego paid for

Quasievil
20th June 2010, 18:23
Why should we boycott BP BTW?

There was/is an oil spill bro

Spuds1234
21st June 2010, 07:40
Im probably wrong but

Arnt most petrol stations privately owned in NZ? So if we boycott BP arnt we just hurting people like you and me, not the big company.

MSTRS
21st June 2010, 08:33
Im probably wrong but

Arnt most petrol stations privately owned in NZ? So if we boycott BP arnt we just hurting people like you and me, not the big company.

You are quite correct

Quasievil
21st June 2010, 08:34
Im probably wrong but

Maybe, but Im boycotting them anyway, have been for two years

scracha
21st June 2010, 09:19
There was/is an oil spill bro

You are a petrol consumer so why pick on just one company. Plenty other oil spills happen that go unreported because they're in the shit holes of the world or further out in the ocean.

Quasievil
21st June 2010, 09:40
You are a petrol consumer so why pick on just one company. Plenty other oil spills happen that go unreported because they're in the shit holes of the world or further out in the ocean.

Cause its BP/Castrol, no other reason, dont you remember what I do for a job bro lol

mashman
21st June 2010, 10:50
I have two hearing aids. What he's saying is bullshit because there's a limit of how many times you can claim for hearing aids. And the government certainly don't give you a new hearing aid every year ... more like every 4-5 years if they see fit.

Batteries are bloody expensive & the government/ACC don't subsidise them. I have to pay for them out of my own pocket.

So every 4-5 years means that we have a potential 150,000+ people with who have hearing aids... and the tight bastards don't even supply batteries... but a jump from 20 - 80 million seems a little excessive considering they're turning people down... anyone know where I could get the figures for how many people are registered for hearing aids?

scracha
21st June 2010, 20:18
So every 4-5 years means that we have a potential 150,000+ people with who have hearing aids... and the tight bastards don't even supply batteries... but a jump from 20 - 80 million seems a little excessive considering they're turning people down... anyone know where I could get the figures for how many people are registered for hearing aids?
Yet another reason for bike ACC rego thingie going up.......most of the dipshits riding bikes without earplugs will be queuing up for hearing aids in later life.

mashman
21st June 2010, 21:02
Yet another reason for bike ACC rego thingie going up.......most of the dipshits riding bikes without earplugs will be queuing up for hearing aids in later life.

eh? what's that ya say? battery power :)

crystalball
21st June 2010, 21:09
i fucked up as went in to get 1 year rego last week. but dip shit chick said sory that will be 515 DOLLERS... i was like what the fuck i'm paying now its not july . she then went on to explain blah blah blah turns out my rego runs out 18th july so thats when they are going to charge me from. i ripped up paper at counter and said no thanks and walked out.

biker baz
22nd June 2010, 19:35
[QUOTE=rustys;1129787565
What we pay is far to high, its just another bloody TAX.[/QUOTE]
It is $700 freakin' million worth of sneaky back door tax- by- stealth as well, being the dividend that ACC pays the govt for last year. My take on this is that it is not recycled into the ACC funding trough to contribute to the 'full funding' rip off and reduce every-bodies' ACC levies. Hope I am wrong:sick:

Voltaire
22nd June 2010, 19:43
Yep ..got 18 months worth......in case the cops don't see the funny side of having a bike with FUCACC on both sides of the tank. :lol:
working on getting the 40 year old r75/5 back on the road as $98.00 is a lot more palatable.:innocent:

Mountie
22nd June 2010, 20:03
Two bikes ,register 1 and one on hold, but always WOF both. Have been pulled up for a speed infringement on the unrego'd bike. Got a fine and demerts for the speeding but cop only mentioned that the bikes rego was on and left it at that. If the bike is on hold for more than three months you can rego the bike for as long as you like ie days, weeks etc. Have rego'd the hold bike for 1 week when i wanted t use it legally for an extended trip $17 or so. Try and manage it best I can with out giving to much hard earned away.

Corse1
23rd June 2010, 07:25
If the bike is on hold for more than three months you can rego the bike for as long as you like ie days, weeks etc. Have rego'd the hold bike for 1 week when i wanted t use it legally for an extended trip $17 or so. Try and manage it best I can with out giving to much hard earned away.

And to clarify this a bit more, they told me that once you have waited 3 months and had your week of fun you have to wait another three montrhs before you can do it again :-( or you pay the rego backdated to that week of fun.............

Max Preload
23rd June 2010, 12:27
And to clarify this a bit more, they told me that once you have waited 3 months and had your week of fun you have to wait another three montrhs before you can do it again :-( or you pay the rego backdated to that week of fun.............

Correct. Or you can change registered owner (to the wife/a mate etc) within those 3 months and do your 1 week or 1 day license then and next time change it back to you. That'll cost you $9.20 but it beats paying 2 months 26 days of backdated license fees. Do it too much and it'll end up with it having had 70 owners but who really cares about that?

What?
25th June 2010, 09:20
Well, that's a matter of conjecture.
We don't really know which ACC fund is using for these payments. Many of us hazarded the guess that if the form says 'motorcycle involved' that the road fund was used. But we just don't know.
The problem is that StatsNZ, MOT, ACC and others all collect and collate stats for different reasons, and it's pointless trying to compare one with another to make sense of the ACC issue.
The form says "motor vehicle". It is then up to some womble to decipher the text describing where the incident occurred and how it occurred, and figure out what class of vehicle, and whether on-road, off-road recreational, off-road commercial or whatever. So you are, of course, quite correct.

aprilia_RS250
25th June 2010, 09:57
I'm not paying. Also I won't be stopping...

MSTRS
25th June 2010, 10:29
The form says "motor vehicle". It is then up to some womble to decipher the text describing where the incident occurred and how it occurred, and figure out what class of vehicle, and whether on-road, off-road recreational, off-road commercial or whatever. So you are, of course, quite correct.

You forgot off-road accidental...
The claim form appears to be the start of all the bullshit as to ACC vs MOT stats for accidents/injuries.

KoroJ
25th June 2010, 18:49
Paid my $517.25 today for 12/07/10...I'm good to go for another 12 months.

....Bastards!!!

duckonin
25th June 2010, 19:22
A bit more than $1.40 per day for your rego to use your bike legally.....Hmmm.. I think I shall pay mine, not worth the hassels,...Damb blast and other wise

scracha
26th June 2010, 09:47
A bit more than $1.40 per day for your rego to use your bike legally.....Hmmm.. I think I shall pay mine, not worth the hassels,...Damb blast and other wise
3 bikes = over a fiver a day to mostly have them sat in the garage. Fuckin ridiculous. bastards

flyingcrocodile46
26th June 2010, 10:13
I plan on sharing two registrations with three bikes (possibly more if I get more) If you have the same make and similar models it is unlikely that more than a handful of cops would know bikes well enough to recognise that the rego plates have been swapped over.

duckonin
26th June 2010, 17:47
I plan on sharing two registrations with three bikes (possibly more if I get more) If you have the same make and similar models it is unlikely that more than a handful of cops would know bikes well enough to recognise that the rego plates have been swapped over.

But what happens when you sell one of them ?

Max Preload
26th June 2010, 17:51

Someone comes and gives you money and takes it away.

Exactly what are you asking? Where are you seeng a problem?

duckonin
26th June 2010, 18:21
Someone comes and gives you money and takes it away.

Exactly what are you asking? Where are you seeng a problem?

(One bike regoed swaping the plate between two bikes) after a while 'year or so' one rego dies but still two bikes if one gets sold does it have to be revined ?

flyingcrocodile46
26th June 2010, 19:28

Take the other off hold

duckonin
26th June 2010, 19:45
Take the other off hold

Yep got that figured, next dumb Q how long can you keep a bike on hold for ?

flyingcrocodile46
26th June 2010, 19:48

Not really sure but I would imagine that you could spin a plausible restoration story around it to justify the time off the road.

Ixion
26th June 2010, 19:53
There is no limit and there is no requirement to justify any period. You just renew it each year, for ever if you want.

mattian
26th June 2010, 19:58
yes. Paid up for 6 months today. 2hundred and 60 something. then I've got WOf next month.... then insurance..... then another full service...... have you ever seen a grown man cry?

Max Preload
26th June 2010, 20:20

If you remember to renew the exemption from continuous licensing, indefinitely.

duckonin
26th June 2010, 20:46
Hmmmm, thanks for that, to you all...

jimichelle
26th June 2010, 20:51
yes. Paid up for 6 months today. 2hundred and 60 something.

i did mine for a year yesterday and that was 260 odd?

Motu
26th June 2010, 21:49
Mine runs out next week - I'll have a ride tomorrow,then put it on hold for 3 months and do some winter chores.Then register for 6 months.I just have to get out of town without being stopped,then I seldom see a cop.

Conquiztador
27th June 2010, 02:09
Will de-rego my old Audi. Was planning to put back on road. But not worth it now.
Keep the other car all legal.
Bike will go on hold. Restoration forever... Like the others in the garage.

Berries
27th June 2010, 23:38
anyone know where I could get the figures for how many people are registered for hearing aids?
Pardon ?

kin 10 chars.

OnCam
28th June 2010, 17:53
just paid for a year rego on my 636, think i timed it just right :) $320 something

willytheekid
29th June 2010, 00:32
After reading ALL of the comments and ideas from you all... I have made a call and will be sticking with it!
I have paid my rego up.....and have already put it on hold for winter (still riding tho)
I will pay for six months every year, and put it on hold for the rest of the year.

this way I feel i am paying my share AND quietly screwing ACC at the same time.
If i get stopped, :Police: I will pay the fine! ...simple as that!
-I WILL NOT!! give nick and his arse nibbling mates the full amount they demand for less cover!

Thank you all for your ideas and great feedback :2thumbsup

Ride safe everyone:scooter:...cos there panel damage...could be our life! \
:wavey:

miloking
29th June 2010, 00:48
After reading ALL of the comments and ideas from you all... I have made a call and will be sticking with it!
I have paid my rego up.....and have already put it on hold for winter (still riding tho)
I will pay for six months every year, and put it on hold for the rest of the year.

this way I feel i am paying my share AND quietly screwing ACC at the same time.
If i get stopped, :Police: I will pay the fine! ...simple as that!
-I WILL NOT!! give nick and his arse nibbling mates the full amount they demand for less cover!

Thank you all for your ideas and great feedback :2thumbsup

Ride safe everyone:scooter:...cos there panel damage...could be our life! \
:wavey:

Doing pretty much same thing but if i dont get any fines over winter...i wont even take it off hold for summer, i would rather pay off the fine at $10 a week to a general cop fund than money going upfront to ACC (and i hate pigs with all my guts...so i guess it says something about ACC).

Fuck we are all paying more than enough to ACC from our salaries...and they wont even cover what my $18 a month medical insurance does...

Conquiztador
29th June 2010, 07:04
and they wont even cover what my $18 a month medical insurance does...
Tell me more please!

miloking
29th June 2010, 07:15
Tell me more please!

Dental and eyesight related stuff (like i even get contacts subsidised) to be fair i only pay $18 a month but another part is subsidised by employer but stil....considering how much we pay from our wages, vehicle regos etc... its bullshit.

crazyhorse
29th June 2010, 07:19
Dental and eyesight related stuff (like i even get contacts subsidised) to be fair i only pay $18 a month but another part is subsidised by employer but stil....considering how much we pay from our wages, vehicle regos etc... its bullshit.

$18 per month in insurance is really really cheap. But like you, I also have medical insurance - another important thiing for me too

miloking
29th June 2010, 07:26
$18 per month in insurance is really really cheap. But like you, I also have medical insurance - another important thiing for me too

I guess it can be cheap because they dont have to pay 80% of your wages while you are recovering at home from your sunday rugby related accident....

But yeah regarding private insurance, once i get bit older i might up the coverage a bit...so far i didnt have many health problems so basic cover is fine i guess...

Squiggles
30th June 2010, 16:05
.and they wont even cover what my $18 a month medical insurance does...

Just like your medical insurance wont cover what they do!

miloking
1st July 2010, 07:30
Just like your medical insurance wont cover what they do!

Yeah why should it? Its designed that way because we have stupid ACC for accident related stuff...well at least you hope they will cover you in case of accident, (as long as you dont get raped, loose hearing etc.)...if we didnt have ACC private insurance would be more but would cover everything BUT it would be your choice not a forced scheme....

scracha
1st July 2010, 09:28
Yeah why should it? Its designed that way because we have stupid ACC for accident related stuff...well at least you hope they will cover you in case of accident, (as long as you dont get raped, loose hearing etc.)...if we didnt have ACC private insurance would be more but would cover everything BUT it would be your choice not a forced scheme....
Should be compulsory to have insurance but there should be some competition for ACC.

slofox
2nd July 2010, 13:28
Re-reg'ed today...$405.63.

BUT. I can feel all safe now, since I got rid of that evil 650 and replaced it with a 600. Given that it costs soooo much less to register a 6 hunny than a sis fiddy, I figure it MUST be safer! After all, the gummint tells me so with their charges...:innocent:

(despite the fact that the 6 hunny produces 60% more power...wonder how that works..? :weird: )

bogan
2nd July 2010, 13:34

BUT. I can feel all safe now, since I got rid of that evil 650 and replaced it with a 600. Given that it costs soooo much less to register a 6 hunny than a sis fiddy, I figure it MUST be safer! After all, the gummint tells me so with their charges...:innocent:

(despite the fact that the 6 hunny produces 60% more power...wonder how that works..? :weird: )

and your old one was a powerful 650, my 647 only got 43hp left, 5 less than my mates 250 :cry: mine is way cooler though. 647cc of salvation, you just have to pay extra for the experience! fuckers :angry:

slofox
2nd July 2010, 14:08
and your old one was a powerful 650, my 647 only got 43hp left, 5 less than my mates 250 :cry: mine is way cooler though. 647cc of salvation, you just have to pay extra for the experience! fuckers :angry:

I do like that extra cageful of horsies though...:devil2:

miloking
6th July 2010, 07:15

Maybe Mr.Smith doesnt like V twins...and wants us all to ride six hundies.... or perhaps Mr.Smith has never seen actual motorcycle in a real life???

But i feel safest on my thou with no rego ;)

DEATH_INC.
6th July 2010, 10:51
I own 2 bikes in the 600cc+ category....and a Deseasil 4wd....so I'm good and fucked. The real worst thing is I have a company vehicle to drive, so even the 4wd gets used fuck all. $1600+ a year for prolly less than 5000k a year between them all is hardly fair.

Swoop
6th July 2010, 13:29
I had a letter from transhit about my trailer. On hold for 2 years = letter saying "re-register or surrender the plate". Just register for minimum time then back on hold for another 2 years.:apint:

slofox
6th July 2010, 13:54
Maybe Mr.Smith doesnt like V twins...

He doesn't! I reckon it's because that basso exhaust note makes him think he has a small willy...

motor_mayhem
6th July 2010, 14:39

I would rather people didn't wear earplugs while driving, not that they couldn't hear the gsxr catching them, but that they would hear it soonere and be given more warning etc. , not to mention others' more civilised machines

As max said indefinitely, in one go I think you can put on hold for a year, but you can do it online so it's really easy. One of the few things the ltsa has done right is have an online system for buying rego/diesel miles/ change ownership etc.

I own 2 bikes in the 600cc+ category....and a Deseasil 4wd....so I'm good and fucked. The real worst thing is I have a company vehicle to drive, so even the 4wd gets used fuck all. $1600+ a year for prolly less than 5000k a year between them all is hardly fair.

Got a diesel 4WD, rego for 3 months - $151 , just shows people driving other vehicles aren't getting it much better.

scracha
7th July 2010, 00:29
I would rather people didn't wear earplugs while driving, not that they couldn't hear the gsxr catching them, but that they would hear it soonere and be given more warning etc. , not to mention others' more civilised machines

Protects your hearing from wind noise. Been said before, loud pipes don't save lives. Car drivers don't hear bikes approaching no matter how loud as the bike is travelling towards them.

Max Preload
7th July 2010, 13:01
I had a letter from transhit about my trailer. On hold for 2 years = letter saying "re-register or surrender the plate". Just register for minimum time then back on hold for another 2 years.:apint:

Or just re-exempt it...

Swoop
7th July 2010, 13:39
Or just re-exempt it...
Nope. Not allowed.

Max Preload
7th July 2010, 19:33
Done it myself.

RDjase
7th July 2010, 19:41

I have had a car on hold for 18 years,

Must get back onto it at some stage,

I have 2 bikes on hold too

Conquiztador
7th July 2010, 21:41
I have had a car on hold for 18 years,
Must get back onto it at some stage,

Tomorrow is gonna be such a busy day!

motor_mayhem
8th July 2010, 10:51
Protects your hearing from wind noise.

You have a trouble with wind noise when you're wearing a helmet? I've never noticed it when I am riding a legal speed.

Been said before, loud pipes don't save lives. Car drivers don't hear bikes approaching no matter how loud as the bike is travelling towards them.
You've never been in a car and heard a sportsbike, particularly a V twin winding up to pass you? (let alone a harley etc.)

You've never been lane filtering and seen cars ahead of you move over to give you more room? granted some will be because they looked in the wing or rear view mirror, but I bet some are because they hear the bike coming.

You've never been lane filtering and pulled into a lane because you can hear someone behind you may want to filter a bit quicker than you?

Loud pipes are definitely not a panacea and they are easily beaten by a car stereo at average volume, but I think there are times when they do provide early warning. They are not the defining reason to put one on your bike but I think there are times when they help.

davereid
8th July 2010, 21:10
Been said before, loud pipes don't save lives.

They may or may not be heard by car drivers. I think my 650 is heard, but I don't think my BMW is.

But they are both absolutely heard by pedestrians and cyclists, both of whom place an extraordinarily high level of reliance on their ears.

Manufacturers of electric vehicles are so concerned about the danger of silent vehicles, that they are investigationg ways of making them noisier for safety reasons.

Loud pipes save lives, perhaps not the riders, but kids, the elderly, the drunk, and the terminally stupid are slower to step or cycle in front of a noisy biker, than one they did not hear...

imdying
9th July 2010, 13:46
Done it myself.He is quite correct. You can only put a vehicle on exemption if it is currently registered. If it is not, you need to pay the registration due from the date of last expiry to the current date, and then they allow you to exempt it.

Max Preload
9th July 2010, 16:23
He is quite correct. You can only put a vehicle on exemption if it is currently registered. If it is not, you need to pay the registration due from the date of last expiry to the current date, and then they allow you to exempt it.

If by 'registration' and 'registered' you actually mean 'license' and 'licensed' my boat trailer came off exemption and I just re-exempted it for nothing.

imdying
9th July 2010, 16:28
Tomato tomato?

Quasievil
9th July 2010, 16:47
Went online today and put mine on hold, it had actually expired a few weeks ago, so not so sure actually.
Anyway the site to put it on hold is
https://transact.nzta.govt.nz/transactions/LicensingExemption/entry.aspx

Use it, if we all do this and the "take" is lower than previous years we will get a review on it wont we, possibly for the positive, maybe the negative but Im going to fuck it up for them as much as I can, as per the protest

Max Preload
9th July 2010, 16:58
Tomato tomato?

Fooked if I know. :lol:

All I know is Swoop said his trailer had come off an exemption and he'd been told he had to relicense it or surrender the plates. As a trailer it's not subject to continuous licensing so no back dating, no WoF is required to be relicensed and it's two years from the last license exipry before the registration lapses. And mine came of exemption and I just re-exempted it.

Hopeful Bastard
9th July 2010, 16:59

You have a trouble with wind noise when you're wearing a helmet? I've never noticed it when I am riding a legal speed.

Do you have a flip face helmet or a fully enclosed helmet? Cos my Flip face helmet whistles like a partially open window on your car in a hurricane!

I have to Wear earplugs to protect my hearing.

Also, If you are noticing other bikers cutting you off as you approach, Slow down and make it so you are more able to be seen!

imdying
9th July 2010, 17:03
Went online today and put mine on hold, it had actually expired a few weeks ago, so not so sure actually.Yup, might be a 28 day grace period, but I get my wife to handle my exemptions (she does it online so presumably through your link?) and she's super efficient, so I've never been faced with that.

All I know is Swoop said his trailer had come off an exemption and he'd been told he had to relicense it or surrender the plates. As a trailer it's not subject to continuous licensing so no back dating, no WoF is required to be relicensed and it's two years from the last license exipry before the registration lapses. And mine came of exemption and I just re-exempted it.My head just exploded :blink:

Max Preload
9th July 2010, 17:28
Yup, might be a 28 day grace periodAs long as you exempt within 2 months of the expiry of the last exemption or license, license fees are not payable.

Grant81
9th July 2010, 21:01
The only problem with that thinking is compare how much are push bikers paying, then a car runs into them. Id love to see them collect LESS acc tax this year due to less registerations.

Grant81
9th July 2010, 21:09
good on you, thats what I would have done too

racefactory
9th July 2010, 21:33
Guys how much is the fine for riding with a plate from a dead bike?

I know you only need to put it on hold but I'm just wondering. Because if you get caught by any of these fucking unreasonable, hidden speed cameras at the bottom of steep hills then you get stung again for riding with a rego on hold.

scracha
10th July 2010, 15:11

Yes. No matter how cheap or expensive the helmet...wind noise at 100K for a few hours at a time is not healthy. I can almost guarantee that in a few years time, you will regret the decision to not wear ear plugs. It's your choice though, I'd never want to be seen as lecturing someone. http://www.helmetstuff.com/helmet-noise.shtml

You've never been in a car and heard a sportsbike, particularly a V twin winding up to pass you? (let alone a harley etc.)

Generally not. I've sometimes dropped my moby, stopped eating or spilt my coffee when the bike thunders past due to the fright (as I've not heard it coming). Doppler effect and all that.

You've never been lane filtering and seen cars ahead of you move over to give you more room? granted some will be because they looked in the wing or rear view mirror, but I bet some are because they hear the bike coming.

I filtered in heavy UK traffic for many years. I've had stupidly loud bikes (748r with termis) and I've had stupidly quiet bikes (TDM850 stock pipes) and to be honest, the noise didn't make a single bit of difference. I did however find that my white GPX600 with a square headlight made more traffic move over because they though it was a police bike. Having flashing hazard lights and daytime running lights definitely made a difference whilst filtering but I still wouldn't never assume I've been seen by a cager.

You've never been lane filtering and pulled into a lane because you can hear someone behind you may want to filter a bit quicker than you?

Very rarely. More often than not I've seen them in my mirrors. Can hear things a lot better on a bike though and it's hardly a relevant point, as the idea is for the cars to hear you.

Loud pipes are definitely not a panacea and they are easily beaten by a car stereo at average volume, but I think there are times when they do provide early warning. They are not the defining reason to put one on your bike but I think there are times when they help.
Personally I think they're anti social, cause tiredness during long rides and attract unnecessary attention from arseholes and el federalis. Again, it's your choice.

rastuscat
11th July 2010, 21:11
And if every man jack goes out and puts their rego on hold what will happen, they will change the rules so you cant put them on hold ! A stunt like this will only push for more legeslation against bikers ! I currently have 5 plates on hold, both cars and bikes in various stage projects, do i want to see legeslation brought about that stops me being able to do this ? Rediculous question huh, cost me around 3 hundy for each plate if i have to go back over the pits, which will happen if too many ride (and get caught with plates on hold) ! By the way i think the fine is 200 for non reged bike but the fine goes up dramatically if you ride with a plate on hold, or will you be riding to get a warrent every time ?

It's already happening.

A think tank has suggested requiring anyone putting their reg on hold to hand in their plates when they do so. That way, you won't have a plate to use when your reg is on hold. If you don't hand your plate in, your bike stays on the Continuous Vehicle Licensing system.

Further, the same think tank is looking at demerit points and higher fines for those using a vehicle while it's allegedly on hold.

All this is in response to the boy racers who twigged to this scam months ago. The shitty Evos and Rexs are normally on hold, bringing the $200 fine which means nothing coz they don't pay fines anyway. The proposals above are to target that issue, but will sweep up bikers as well.

So you're right, widespread disobedience by some leads to harsher laws for all.

Bugger.

bogan
11th July 2010, 21:17
So you're right, widespread disobedience by some leads to harsher laws for all.

Bugger.

which contributes to more runners, double bugger.

perhaps the think tank should consider whether the cost of policing such laws outweigh the benefits gained.

davereid
11th July 2010, 22:07
A think tank has suggested requiring anyone putting their reg on hold to hand in their plates when they do so. That way, you won't have a plate to use when your reg is on hold. If you don't hand your plate in, your bike stays on the Continuous Vehicle Licensing system. Further, the same think tank is looking at demerit points and higher fines for those using a vehicle while it's allegedly on hold.

Of course to be effective this all assumes.. there are no old plates rocking around.. that boy racers or (anyone else for that matter) who won't pay fines, would care jack-shit about a (civil) debt collector chasing them for overdue rego fees... and that higher fines will deter those who don't pay fines...

And it doesn't solve ACCs main problem, which is that its not collecting the money it needs.

Even if the new system were 100% effective at collecting rego fees, it would simply reduce the number of registered vehicles on the road. This of course reduces ACCs income, but does not reduce its risk profile.

It all seems a complicated fuss, when ACC could collect every cent they need, from every road user, just by putting $0.12c on a litre of gas.

RiderInBlack
11th July 2010, 22:47
The Bike is my only vehicle, therefore my only means ta get ta work to earn the money I need ta live off. Therefore I can not afford ta be put off the road without my licence. Running around without a Rego, when ya can bet ya panties the Cops will be check all bikes for them, is just begging for them ta ticket me. Ya can also bet ya panties, that there will be demerits ta go with the ticket. It not the fine that worries me, it's the demerits. Hope ya can see where I'm going with this and will understand why I am keeping my bike's Rego up todate.

miloking
11th July 2010, 22:51
The Bike is my only vehicle, therefore my only means ta get ta work to earn the money I need ta live off. Therefore I can not afford ta be put off the road without my licence. Running around without a Rego, when ya can bet ya panties the Cops will be check all bikes for them, is just begging for them ta ticket me. Ya can also bet ya panties, that there will be demerits ta go with the ticket. It not the fine that worries me, it's the demerits. Hope ya can see where I'm going with this and will understand why I am keeping my bike's Rego up todate.

Is your GSX running on 3 cylinders or something??? why are you even stopping to "recieve" the fine?

sinfull
11th July 2010, 23:10
Is your GSX running on 3 cylinders or something??? why are you even stopping to "recieve" the fine?

Fuck your a tossa !

RiderInBlack
12th July 2010, 08:51
Is your GSX running on 3 cylinders or something??? why are you even stopping to "recieve" the fine?Because "Doing A Runner", is inherently dangerous to everyone I share the road with, especially to myself. I'd rather be alive ta bitch about getting a ticket, than be a Patient on my own Ward (I work as an Orthopaedic, Bones, Nurse) in aggonising pain and being rightly given shit by the Nurses I work with for being a total stupid Dick Head, or worse (for my Family & friends) in the morgue proving ACC right that Bikers deserve to pay more.
You really didn't think much at all in ya post. I seriously hope that you use a lot more clearer thinking than that when ya riding ya bike, because ya will not last long as a biker if ya don't.

For the record, I am against the levy hikes to ACC, but it is not because I am a biker, it is because the Woodhouse Principle ACC is part of what makes living in NZ F*cken Great. I do not want to see that lost, just so ACC can be sold off to Off-Shore Insurance Companies who's only concern is to make a profit, while we end-up suing the shit out of each other over silliest shit to keep our insurance levies down,

motor_mayhem
12th July 2010, 14:02
Yes. No matter how cheap or expensive the helmet...wind noise at 100K for a few hours at a time is not healthy. I can almost guarantee that in a few years time, you will regret the decision to not wear ear plugs. It's your choice though, I'd never want to be seen as lecturing someone. http://www.helmetstuff.com/helmet-noise.shtml

I would imagine there would be more bikers who are damaging their hearing more using ipods etc. rather than wind noise from travelling 100km/h. Also note probably the most important place for others to hear you and you to hear others is built up areas were the speed limit tends to be 50km/h. And for lots who just use their bike for commuting, this is how fast they are going most of the time.

Generally not. I've sometimes dropped my moby, stopped eating or spilt my coffee when the bike thunders past due to the fright (as I've not heard it coming). Doppler effect and all that.

I filtered in heavy UK traffic for many years. I've had stupidly loud bikes (748r with termis) and I've had stupidly quiet bikes (TDM850 stock pipes) and to be honest, the noise didn't make a single bit of difference. I did however find that my white GPX600 with a square headlight made more traffic move over because they though it was a police bike. Having flashing hazard lights and daytime running lights definitely made a difference whilst filtering but I still wouldn't never assume I've been seen by a cager.

The doppler effect does not relate to the volume, it relates to the pitch. The distance between you and the bike relates to the volume. Though potentially some of the waves are disipated when they bounce off other vehicles or objects.
Should I be amused that you seem to be saying you didn't hear a bike when you were driving because you were eating or using a mobile phone, both of which are illegal because they would remove your focus from the task at hand?

Very rarely. More often than not I've seen them in my mirrors. Can hear things a lot better on a bike though and it's hardly a relevant point, as the idea is for the cars to hear you.

Well no, the idea is for all other road users to hear you. As someone else has already pointed out previously.

Personally I think they're anti social, cause tiredness during long rides and attract unnecessary attention from arseholes and el federalis. Again, it's your choice.

Attract unnecessary attention, yes unfortunately in some circles they do seem to be associated with people who like to do faster then they are allowed to, or rev their vehicle excessively. But that doesn't mean all users are like that.

scumdog
12th July 2010, 14:21

Given a lot of people can't hear a locomotive horn or an emergency services vehicle on their rear bumper with the siren blasting I doubt the loud pipes will help much.

And often it is behind the bike that people hear the most noise - and associate noisy motorbike = said bike heading away.

Once in a blue moon maybe they could help but as you admit youself, not a panacea.

Max Preload
12th July 2010, 16:15
I would imagine there would be more bikers who are damaging their hearing more using ipods etc. rather than wind noise from travelling 100km/h.That's no reason to not protect your hearing with earplugs when riding though. I mean, it might be the difference between going totally deaf and just a little deaf.

The doppler effect does not relate to the volume, it relates to the pitch. The distance between you and the bike relates to the volume.Correct. But lower frequency carries better.

FatHead
13th July 2010, 22:13
At 600k a week it works out at just under $0.02 a k for me and this is how I get to work so would be stupid not to rego. Can totally understand others who only get to ride weekends to put their rego's on "hold".

I would be happier if they just charged all license holders an ACC levy of an appropriate amount for the classes they hold then leave our vehicle registration as a licensing fee ~$30 or whatever the administration charge is. Would save everyone including those fleet owners who pay for multiple vehicles and there would be no getting away from it if you want to keep your license.

My one k's worth of ACC

Conquiztador
14th July 2010, 07:52
I would be happier if they just charged all license holders an ACC levy of an appropriate amount for the classes they hold then leave our vehicle registration as a licensing fee ~$30 or whatever the administration charge is. Would save everyone including those fleet owners who pay for multiple vehicles and there would be no getting away from it if you want to keep your license.

And we all agree with you. Each one of us that were in Welly for the BIKEOI and most probably every one that could not make it. But that would work against plan #1 of this increase: To get $$'s in the gumments coffers. And seriously affect plan #2: The sale of ACC. So sadly, as long as National is in charge this will not happen.

TygerTung
19th July 2010, 23:29
I am not paying. I will warrent my bike, but I will not pay until they have a flat rate for all motor vehicle users with the exception of 50cc scooters which should be cheap as they don't count as real motor vehicles.

One option to consider is that you can register your bike under B class. It is really cheap as you don't pay any ACC levies on it. It's for farm vehicles or something. It's not a continuous licencing class either.

I believe B class works best for bikes and A class works best for cars.

I used to register my Corolla Wagon under A class as I never used to use it, only using it to tow some bikes to the track, usually riding my scooter/bike/pushbike or driving the wifes car if I needed a car. I just put a Michelin man sticker at each bottom corner of the windscreen which covered up where it said 'A' so it wasn't obvious.

You have to be careful when parking however as parking wardens will notice that you do not have the correct class of registration and issue you with a fine. I would imagine that if you implemented a similar scheme to the sticker method I described above you would be fine.

I got pulled over a few times with the A class on the corolla without the michellan man scheme implemented and only got fined once. The corolla being a 1975 orange model, lowered with mag wheels and a big exhaust did get pulled over more often than a generic car however.

miloking
19th July 2010, 23:44
Because "Doing A Runner", is inherently dangerous to everyone I share the road with, especially to myself. I'd rather be alive ta bitch about getting a ticket, than be a Patient on my own Ward (I work as an Orthopaedic, Bones, Nurse) in aggonising pain and being rightly given shit by the Nurses I work with for being a total stupid Dick Head, or worse (for my Family & friends) in the morgue proving ACC right that Bikers deserve to pay more

You really didn't think much at all in ya post. I seriously hope that you use a lot more clearer thinking than that when ya riding ya bike, because ya will not last long as a biker if ya don't

All i was reading were excuses why you need to pay whatever prices ACC asks for:
....riding to work, cops being all over bikes, demerits to go with rego fine (umm not realy) ...so my natural response is to take piss out of the post
Honestly i dont realy expect you to do a runner but what else to say apart from harden up and stand up to the "man" like the rest of us...(and i didnt want to say that because that would be rude!)

miloking
19th July 2010, 23:51
Fuck your a tossa !

Thanks for noticing (again) but i just cant read posts full of excuses why its ok to pay whatever ACC wants!..and not respond with something sarcastic.

miloking
20th July 2010, 03:43
I've been thinking about this a bit. I have decided that if I end up with two road bikes over 600cc, I will register one of them, and swap the plate over. Basically I can only ride one at a time, the "risk" to ACC is the same and I shouldnt have to pay twice to receive a "service" once. Not encouraging anyone else to do it, not making a particularly political stand (though it is in fact a political stand) and its not like I couldnt afford it. I just dont think its right, so I wont participate.

They just both need to be same color and same make at least :) otherwise already though about this...currently looking for track dedicated CBR and will put plate on it only when rididng it to pukekohe :D

RiderInBlack
20th July 2010, 07:24
Honestly i dont realy expect you to do a runner but what else to say apart from harden up and stand up to the "man" like the rest of us...(and i didnt want to say that because that would be rude!)But ya still did. Running around without my rego will not prove my Manliness and my Hardness nor do I do see it as being effective to drawing NZér attention to The undermining of The Woodhouse Principles on which ACC was base, or that we are at clear risk of Loosing ACC to Insurance Companies. We need to draw NZ's attention to the bigger picture, and away from that it's "Just The Bikers Winging about they Reg Rises Again" IMHO. This action won't. But ya go ahead, thinking ya being The Man making a real difference by not paying ya reg, You can be expect the fine for running without a reg to go up, it to be policed harder, and ya can bet ya boot there will be demerits ta go with it. Mean while I will wait for some real action that draws NZ's Attention to the real issue.

TygerTung
20th July 2010, 23:31
Quote Originally Posted by RiderInBlack View Post

He's got a point

davereid
21st July 2010, 08:42
Hope ya can see where I'm going with this and will understand why I am keeping my bike's Rego up to date.

He has got a point !

My pragmatic view is simpler than that.

At the moment there are no demerits, and the fine is much much much less than the cost of actually registering all my vehicles.

In the mean time, until nanny sorts out her shit, and works out a way of either consistently catching me for being unregistered, or scaring me with demerits, I'll be staying unregistered !

After all, my savings so far are about $2500- $3000. That will help if I ever get fined.

When I do need to register, at least I'll have a bit of spare money !.

Plan (b) is also in place. I'm selling all my bikes except the sporty. So when it gets to the point that I must register, I will be licensing only one.

Pixie
21st July 2010, 18:43
Quote Originally Posted by RiderInBlack View Post

He's got a point

Demerits are only awarded for road safety related offenses.

I'm going to licence my bike because I'm a good kiwi and I'm afraid the policeman will tell me off.
And I misplaced my spine somewhere.

Not really, fuck'em

Pixie
21st July 2010, 18:59
which contributes to more runners, double bugger.

perhaps the think tank should consider whether the cost of policing such laws outweigh the benefits gained.

The Think Tank was formerly a Septic Tank - that's why it's full of shit.

Meanie
21st July 2010, 19:33
Havnt read this whole thread but heres what i am doing
My wife and i both ride, i have put both bikes on hold for three months and will register them in time for the 4 points and summer for just 6 months, then put them on hold again for 6 months
I simply cannot afford to register two bikes anymore. And yes i will still ride them while on hold

TygerTung
21st July 2010, 21:19
The cops won't be pulling over bikes out of control. I have only once been pulled over on a bike, and that was when I was doing something dodgy.

I used to be a bit of a boy racer and had an old 1975 Corolla Wagon, and even then I only used to get pulled over rarely, and that was often because that my car may not have a WOF as it was a bit rough. I am not interested in cars whatsoever any more however, so don't hold it against me.

I don't really think that the police would care that much about pulling over bikes due to rego, and even if they did pull you over and notice that you had no registration, if you told them the reason, they may let you off.:scooter:

phantom
21st July 2010, 21:41
For what its worth I pranged my car ( yes I am forced to drive one from time to time ) when it had neither warrant or rego,and apart from a stern hit on my wallet from the boys in blue the insurance company were reasonably happy to pay out as long as it wasn't relevant to the accident

TygerTung
25th July 2010, 20:32
I used to have insurance with the 'National Auto Club' and the contract specified that the car had to be in warrentable condition. Not that it had a WOF or rego, but that it was in a warrentable condition.

Unless having no registration caused the accident, they cannot refuse you cover.

Some people might say 'you have no registration, therfore you shouldn't be on the road, so you should not be given cover. However you also shouldn't be crashing. They still give you cover.

fatzx10r
25th July 2010, 20:41
no rego for me :whocares:

sil3nt
26th July 2010, 15:18
My rego expired last week. I just put it on hold for 3 months without any issues over the internet. Have rego'd the car for 3 months and will try and use the bicycle more.

Cayman911
2nd August 2010, 15:41
wow crap, i only just realised how bad motorcycle regsitration is.

was looking on the nzta website. and its rubbish.

405.63 a year for my 125cc bike i only use on sunny weekends for joy rides.

and you can register a V12 ferrari for 281.61 a year. ugh.
61-600cc incl motorcycle is bullshit.

Number One
2nd August 2010, 15:45
Doppler effect...tee he ehee
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J43lAESftPs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J43lAESftPs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

mikeey01
26th August 2010, 16:29
Hey Nick, GET FUCKED!

SMOKEU
31st August 2010, 19:24
Rego on hold FTW!

Madmax
31st August 2010, 19:35
none for me

Bren
31st August 2010, 22:10
I was going to....but half a kay...nah it's too much...I got a warrent...surely the cops care more about roadworthiness than that farkin ACC tax

Okey Dokey
1st September 2010, 08:55
Apparently there was a brief news item on National Radio Morning Report yesterday to the effect that: ACC is not getting as much $$$ as they expected from their levy rise, as so many bikes put rego on hold over the last few months.

Maybe someone who heard the report could comment? has there been anything in the newspapers?

bogan
1st September 2010, 09:13
Apparently there was a brief news item on National Radio Morning Report yesterday to the effect that: ACC is not getting as much $$$ as they expected from their levy rise, as so many bikes put rego on hold over the last few months.

Maybe someone who heard the report could comment? has there been anything in the newspapers?

basically that sums it up, nick was still using his slanted stats, and had quite a few people saying they couldn't afford to register thier bikes (specially those with 3 or more vehicles), bike shop owner saying it was worst year in ages...

DEVVIL
1st September 2010, 09:27
basically that sums it up, nick was still using his slanted stats, and had quite a few people saying they couldn't afford to register their bikes (specially those with 3 or more vehicles), bike shop owner saying it was worst year in ages...

Just remember the TV license people power won that
1/3 of bikes on hold now if we can make it 2/3 I'm sure we will get a reaction from Nick:Punk::Punk::Punk::soon::Punk::Punk::scooter:: soon::Punk::Punk::soon::scooter:

DMNTD
1st September 2010, 09:40
1/3 of bikes on hold now if we can make it 2/3 I'm sure we will get a reaction from Nick:Punk::Punk::Punk::soon::Punk::Punk::scooter:: soon::Punk::Punk::soon::scooter:

Well they have lost 3/4 of rego fees from our garage (always used to rego all the bikes).
Only one rego'd now is the 50cc scooter!

Kornholio
1st September 2010, 09:44
Rego has been on hold since 07... Mind you I mainly do track days and a bit of racing... Still go for the odd pootle tho... I usually get a warrant of fitness tho.

Lol, funny

tamarillo
1st September 2010, 09:59
Only register mine for 6 months of the year anyway,are there demerits that come with the fine for no rego? if not no doubt there soon will be.

So do you only ride 6 months of the year? People who put bikes away for an NZ winter are not motorcyclists...

tamarillo
1st September 2010, 10:02

This is a good idea. If we have a well advertised extensive action boycott. All bike owners go in on a date and put bikes on hold for one month. Imagine if it could be done - a seriuos nationwide boycott...I am dreaming again.

bogan
1st September 2010, 10:08
I would be careful with a boycott action, if you continue to ride with no rego, we would all be made target in police rego checks, if you don't continue to ride then they are all glad cos less dangerous bikers are on the road. In both cases TPTB won't really give a shit.

More action is required to voice how fucked off we are with thier bullshit I reckon, that is a lot harder for TPTB to ignore.

Bald Eagle
1st September 2010, 10:13
Also we are short changing ourselves, as the $30 per bike reserved fund for motorcycle safety will have less in it if too many go on hold.

Berries
1st September 2010, 12:41
Very true, but personally speaking I will resent paying that $30 anyway. While we don’t know what it is going to be spent on yet I can’t see it making me a safer rider, and I don’t see why I should pay to make other riders safer. It should either be user pays or, if the ACC think it is such a good idea, it should be paid out of the existing (raised) levy.

Going back to your point though, is it a flat $30 rate ? What I mean is if you put your rego on hold for six months, the six month period you do register for will also include the $30 tax, so as long as you register it once a year, for whatever period, they’ll still get their money. Apart from the ones on hold permanently because they are second and third bikes. But then taking the levy more than once from the same person is complete BS anyway so they should have expected reduced revenue.

Max Preload
15th September 2010, 12:49
Also we are short changing ourselves, as the $30 per bike reserved fund for motorcycle safety will have less in it if too many go on hold.To give the government money in lieu of improving motorcycle safety is short changing ourselves. They will just blow it on stupid fucking ad campaigns and administration.

Pixie
17th September 2010, 08:52
Also we are short changing ourselves, as the $30 per bike reserved fund for motorcycle safety will have less in it if too many go on hold.

Less money for junkets to Victoria?

victoria
what do you have for us,for us?
victoria
Is it just another booze bus,booze bus?

Scuba_Steve
17th September 2010, 09:07
I just had a thought (obviously DON'T follow this as even if I'm right the "justice" system is too corrupt to allow it) but if you put your bike (or any other vehicle) on hold for a year, the infringement for using it is 200$ (cheaper than vehicle licensing) but as far as I can tell lawfully this can only be charged once a year, as a second one (in the same hold period) would be for the same offence & thus double dipping would it not?

Pixie
17th September 2010, 09:58
I just had a thought (obviously DON'T follow this as even if I'm right the "justice" system is too corrupt to allow it) but if you put your bike (or any other vehicle) on hold for a year, the infringement for using it is 200$ (cheaper than vehicle licensing) but as far as I can tell lawfully this can only be charged once a year, as a second one (in the same hold period) would be for the same offence & thus double dipping would it not?

Each instance is an offence

Deano
17th September 2010, 12:31
So do you only ride 6 months of the year? People who put bikes away for an NZ winter are not motorcyclists...

You small minded troll.

scumdog
19th September 2010, 13:32

Whoaa!

I might give that plan a go, bound to get away with it eh........:rolleyes:

cowboyz
19th September 2010, 14:52
unbelieveable.. The offense is for not displaying a current registration. You can be booked 100 times a day if you are unlucky enough.

Dont take the risk. If everyone doesnt register their bikes then the police will have a field day pulling over every bike for rego checks. Even though not having your bike registered or having it onhold has no bearing on insurance at all.

I dont register my bikes. Its a complete waste of money as far as I can see and I just try to not be pulled over too many times in a year to balance it out.

So I dont need the extra risk of everyone else not registering their bikes and police doing more random checks. So I vote you register yours.

ukusa
30th September 2010, 15:13
just rego'd my bike today for 8 months at a cost of approx $347.00. That's all they'll be getting out of me. It will run out in May, at which point I will continue to ride until September when I register it for another 8 months.

Speeding tickets in last 5 years = 0
Rego/WOF checks in last 5 years = 0
License checks in last 5 years = 0
Breath tests (random) in last year = 2, probably only 4 or 5 in the last 5 years. They never rego/WOF/licence check at these, not me anyway (unless you're positive I suppose).

Chances of getting caught with no rego = very slim, I'll take my chances.
I don't do alot of kms during winter anyway. Previously the 12 month rego didn't worry me, now it's a decent saving not paying the extra $170 odd for only 1000kms or less.

Bald Eagle
30th September 2010, 15:15
Make sure you put rego on hold else when you come to 'renew' youll have to pay the 'missing ' mths.

Max Preload
30th September 2010, 16:39
Chances of getting caught with no rego = very slim, I'll take my chances.Depending on where you park it...

JohnJumper
2nd October 2010, 11:44
Just went to re-reg. Fuuuu. Don't know if I'll boycott, definitely considering it

Subike
2nd October 2010, 13:46
have owned my old girl for 7 years
Registration costs in that 7 years? = $0
WOF costs in that 7 years ?= $570
Fines for NO reg in that 7 years ? = $400
Times stopped by police in that 7 years? = 6

Bike Registration????..... yeah right :scooter:

davereid
5th October 2010, 06:43
have owned my old girl for 7 years
Registration costs in that 7 years? = $0
WOF costs in that 7 years ?= $570
Fines for NO reg in that 7 years ? = $400
Times stopped by police in that 7 years? = 6

Bike Registration????..... yeah right :scooter:

The first of the registration reminders for my (bikes) has arrived, so it must be getting on to a year since I last registered. The WOFs due as well.

I'll do the WOF on the Kawasaki next week, which will inform TNZ that I have travelled about 10,000 km during the period it has been on hold. I wonder if that will raise a flag on the computer.

I'm also considering doing a single month - or shorter period of rego if it is possible. This is because I am unsure of what happens if I get stopped. Do TNZ cancel the rego hold ? Do they try and backdate a rego fee to the last time paid ?

Anyone KNOW.

(Please don't offer a KB style opinion as fact.)

cowboyz
5th October 2010, 10:26
The first of the registration reminders for my (bikes) has arrived, so it must be getting on to a year since I last registered. The WOFs due as well.

I'll do the WOF on the Kawasaki next week, which will inform TNZ that I have travelled about 10,000 km during the period it has been on hold. I wonder if that will raise a flag on the computer.

I'm also considering doing a single month - or shorter period of rego if it is possible. This is because I am unsure of what happens if I get stopped. Do TNZ cancel the rego hold ? Do they try and backdate a rego fee to the last time paid ?

Anyone KNOW.

(Please don't offer a KB style opinion as fact.)

the ks.... they dont care.. and if someone gets all up in arms about it tell them you did if off the road.. irrelevant

if you get stopped while rego on hold you get a fine for not displaying a current rego.. thats it.. your bike stays on hold and you carry on.

flyingcrocodile46
12th November 2010, 08:22
All this talk of cheating the system by not paying rego is likely to backfire now as a sizeable portion of the levy being set aside for motorcycle safety initiatives is now being used to finance checkpoints to stop motorcyclists so their regos can be checked. Of course they tell us that they are using the levy for the purpose of providing us bike safety pointers, but really they are just using the levy to identify bikers who are protesting by not paying rego so that they get all of us.

Nick Smith must have laughed himself silly when he came up with that idea.:facepalm:

RiderInBlack
12th November 2010, 11:07
That was so obviously going ta happen and is why I decided not paying my rego would be a dumb move that would just play in Nick Myths Hands.

PS: How the F*CK can I get AD'S out of my posts? I don't mind them on the sit, but refuse to have them plonked in my post, making it look like I have posted it or am backing that ad :-(

Now the Ad has gone. WTF was all this about?

bogan
12th November 2010, 11:14
That was so obviously going ta happen and is why I decided not paying my rego would be a dumb move that would just play in Nick Myths Hands.

same here, cept I paid mine before the hike, so am still on old rego money now anyway :yes:

Max Preload
12th November 2010, 15:48
PS: How the F*CK can I get AD'S out of my posts? I don't mind them on the sit, but refuse to have them plonked in my post, making it look like I have posted it or am backing that adWhat ads? There are ads on here?

tri boy
12th November 2010, 16:51
Daytona permanently on hold.
Xrl will go on hold after March.
Scrambler will stay registered 6mths a year.
Fuck Nick the Dick.
Bet the rego coin % is down a shit load.
The cunt should be sacked for incompetant mangament.

Murray
12th November 2010, 16:55
What ads? There are ads on here?

I think he meant AID's. evidently you can get it through kiwibiker??

Corse1
13th November 2010, 07:46
Fuck Nick the Dick.
Bet the rego coin % is down a shit load.

Out of interest and boredom I noted down all the bike rego plates at Okoraire the other weekend. About 16 bikes. 50% were not registered:shit:

I can't help thinking that those of us who honestly pay our rego are gonna pay for you f*ckers one day soon.:angry:

RiderInBlack
13th November 2010, 10:14
Out of interest and boredom I noted down all the bike rego plates at Okoraire the other weekend. About 16 bikes. 50% were not registered:shit:

I can't help thinking that those of us who honestly pay our rego are gonna pay for you f*ckers one day soon.:angry:Aye the fines will go up, and spot checks "to ensure our safety" will increase.

PS:

I think he meant AID's. evidently you can get it through kiwibiker??
No, I mean ads. As you put in a new post the ads shifts into your post and stays there until the next person posts in that thread. Didn't mind the ads when they wheren't in ya post, but have a problem with them being added within your post. It makes it look like you are personally backing that advertiser (so yer bit like getting AIDs of KB).

tri boy
13th November 2010, 13:38
Out of interest and boredom I noted down all the bike rego plates at Okoraire the other weekend.

Put on the blue uniform sunshine. Your lap dog material for sure.

red mermaid
13th November 2010, 13:45
You are dead right there.

The Govt accounting system works something like this;
We have 'x' number of bikes on the road, therefore we will collect 'x' number of dollars.

However if all the 'clever' people pull stunts and don't register their bikes the Govt will see they have collected 'x minus the clever peoples fees', therefore to get 'x' the Govt will have to put the fees up so that the Govt collects the fees they budgeted on.

I can't help thinking that those of us who honestly pay our rego are gonna pay for you f*ckers one day soon.:angry:

Max Preload
13th November 2010, 16:21

We have 'x' number of bikes on the road, therefore we will collect 'x' number of dollars.

However if all the 'clever' people pull stunts and don't register their bikes the Govt will see they have collected 'x minus the clever peoples fees', therefore to get 'x' the Govt will have to put the fees up so that the Govt collects the fees they budgeted on.Which will hopefully wake the apathetic fuckers up and they'll refuse to pay too. But I doubt it. They'll just do what they did this time last year... have a wee bleat then become resigned to it and pay anyway. What a truely pathetic nation of sheep we've become. It makes me embarrassed to be a NZer.

Meanie
13th November 2010, 16:51
The government will put the fees up irrespective of what we do. They dont realy giva a shit cause on thier saleries they can afford it

Conquiztador
13th November 2010, 20:13

However if all the 'clever' people pull stunts and don't register their bikes the Govt will see they have collected 'x minus the clever peoples fees', therefore to get 'x' the Govt will have to put the fees up so that the Govt collects the fees they budgeted on.

And how do you recon the gumment knows how many bikes are on the road? The only way they measure this is by looking at how many bikes are registered in the system. So your argument does not stack up.

red mermaid
13th November 2010, 20:26
It knows because they have number plates, which is when they are registered and gives them a count.

From that number they know how many are re-licensed each year.

flyingcrocodile46
13th November 2010, 22:01
I have one registered and two on hold (working on them) I will likely register one of them at a time Dunno. It's all very wrong. Should only have to pay for 1 vehicle. I have 3 bikes and a car. I only use one at a time. If this one unfair aspect was addressed I'd be happier to pay a one fee ACC levy of say $600 to cover whatever the fuck I drive/ride.

As for not paying rego's. What threshold do you reckon Nick the Dick has set for the number of unregistered rider accidents claims that will be his secret trigger to start rejecting claims by unregistered accident victims on the basis that they are committing a crime.

All he needs to do is whine to the press about how unregistered (HIGH RISK) leeches are cheating the system to get public opinion behind his next move.... to amend the wording of the act below to extend to cover delinquent bikers :yes: Next he'll decline you for not paying your tax bill

Accident Compensation Amendment Act 2010

Provides for automatic disentitlement if a claim meets specific criteria (eg the person was injured while committing the crime for which s/he was imprisoned, and the crime committed carries a maximum sentence of imprisonment for two years or more, the claim has ACC cover).

Clients who meet criteria will be entitled only to treatment, and their entitlement to surgery will be limited to that which is necessary to restore function to allow them to return to work.
Provides that the Minister for ACC may exercise his/her discretion in exceptional circumstances.

Comes into effect from 1July2010 for all personal injuries which occur after that date (ie existing entitlements will not be affected).

Conquiztador
13th November 2010, 22:35
It knows because they have number plates, which is when they are registered and gives them a count.

From that number they know how many are re-licensed each year.

Still a fail:

- If a bike is out of the system nobody will know that it exists.

- If a bike is registered but no license paid you only have 12 months before the bike ends up out of the system and then there is a bill that turns up with the 12 months license fee. (So that is clearly NOT the way of not paying for the license)

- If a bike is off the road and license put on hold the bike will stay in the system but no fees to pay.

So any statistics showing how many bikes are on the road will only be based on the amount of bikes that have their rego/license paid.

RiderInBlack
14th November 2010, 07:24
Still a fail:

- If a bike is out of the system nobody will know that it exists.

- If a bike is registered but no license paid you only have 12 months before the bike ends up out of the system and then there is a bill that turns up with the 12 months license fee. (So that is clearly NOT the way of not paying for the license)

- If a bike is off the road and license put on hold the bike will stay in the system but no fees to pay.

So any statistics showing how many bikes are on the road will only be based on the amount of bikes that have their rego/license paid.So what ya telling me there is the cost of all motorcycle accidents on the road to ACC will be divided by only the bikes the Government know exist based the amount of bikes that have their Rego Paid.
Following that logic, taking the amount accidents stay the same and the Amount of Riders remain the same, the Cost per Registered bike should logically increase as more riders decide not to register their bikes but still use them on the road. Mmm Fail.

mashman
14th November 2010, 07:30
So what ya telling me there is the cost of all motorcycle accidents on the road to ACC will be divided by only the bikes the Government know exist based the amount of bikes that have their Rego Paid.
Following that logic, taking the amount accidents stay the same and the Amount of Riders remain the same, the Cost per Registered bike should logically increase as more riders decide not to register their bikes but still use them on the road. Mmm Fail.

Correct. Hence why i still pay my rego :). The number of bike injuries can go down and the cost will still go up too...

pc220
14th November 2010, 07:42
WTF. Those that have bent over and accepted the increases and duly pay their fees each year are now crying that if we dont all bend over they will get rogered even deeper.HTF it is you lot that are playing into nic myths hands bleeting away telling the rest of us to tow the line because you dont want to pay more.
None of us want to pay more, its just that some of us have put our foot down ,stood up straight and said 'enough is enough' sooner than you lot.
How about you lot stop playing along with nic myth and join the rest of us.

Berg
14th November 2010, 07:49
I will keep paying mine and after my recent crash I now understand why. So far my treatment and time off work plus the 2 helicopters have cost the country somewhere near $15 000. I still have another operation and 3 weeks off work to go before I even start to get somewhere near full rehab. Mine was a self caused, off road crash on a bike that doesn't incur ACC levies. Is that fair on all ACC payers? No not really but that is how the system works. I rego 2 bikes and 2 cars and also pay ACC levies on my pay. Even working that out I will still have paid less than my treatment cost. Once repaired, what is to stop me doing it all again? Damn I hope not but is a risky sport I play.

mashman
14th November 2010, 08:02
WTF. Those that have bent over and accepted the increases and duly pay their fees each year are now crying that if we dont all bend over they will get rogered even deeper.HTF it is you lot that are playing into nic myths hands bleeting away telling the rest of us to tow the line because you dont want to pay more.
None of us want to pay more, its just that some of us have put our foot down ,stood up straight and said 'enough is enough' sooner than you lot.

:rofl: Did you really think ACC hadn't figured that out? Do you think, with a surplus of $1+ billion last year that they can't afford a few motorcycles regos not getting paid? They could cover no motorcycles quite easily. I applaud your stand, but don't agree with it, on the grounds that it makes no difference other than giving ACC and TPTB ammunition to use against the motorcyclist. :facepalm:

Bonez
14th November 2010, 08:03
How about you lot stop playing along with nic myth and join the rest of us.My step son got killed on his bike last year. His kids are set up till they turn 18 and acc payed for most of the cost of the funeral. They've been fucken great.

Edit- Oh I forgot to mention his bike was dereged.

pc220
14th November 2010, 08:03
I will keep paying mine and after my recent crash I now understand why. So far my treatment and time off work plus the 2 helicopters have cost the country somewhere near $15 000. I still have another operation and 3 weeks off work to go before I even start to get somewhere near full rehab. Mine was a self caused, off road crash on a bike that doesn't incur ACC levies. Is that fair on all ACC payers? No not really but that is how the system works. I rego 2 bikes and 2 cars and also pay ACC levies on my pay. Even working that out I will still have paid less than my treatment cost. Once repaired, what is to stop me doing it all again? Damn I hope not but is a risky sport I play.

My gripe is not with paying ACC fees. It is the way that it is been turned into an insurance scheme that proportions fees based on perceived risk. Under such a scheme all activites should be incurring fees, not just those that are easy to collect from. Basically road users are paying extra to cover the off road users. Is that a fair situation ?

flyingcrocodile46
14th November 2010, 08:07
None of us want to pay more, its just that some of us have put our foot down ,stood up straight and said 'Fuck all of you... I'm a stand up guy who looks after number one' sooner than you lot.

That's right. Nobody thinks that the levies are fair but they were increased to address the fact that accidents involving bike riders on average cost significantly more than those which don't. The concept is called sharing the load. Similar principle to the tax and welfare system.

There are always those that don't want to share the load. They generally don't make good team players because they are only out for themselves. Dole bludgers and benefit fraudsters fit in the same category. Self centered blood sucking freeloading good for fuck all parasites. :yes:

Thanks for increasing my burden :bash:

mashman
14th November 2010, 08:14
That's right. Nobody thinks that the levies are fair but they were increased to address the fact that accidents involving bike riders on average cost significantly more than those which don't. The concept is called sharing the load. Similar principle to the tax and welfare system.

Nooo no no no. An injury is an injury (THEY COST THE SAME), you can get injured just as badly, if not worse in a car incident. The only thing they can "risk" us for, and it looks like that's how they calculate the levy, is being more at risk because we have less safety gear and that we have a high number of crashes per user in our user group (hard to avoid with such a small user group and such a HUGE number of cars). The FACT that cars cause over 75% of ALL road injuries doesn't seem to concern ACC or TPTB. Why not?

pc220
14th November 2010, 08:20

There are always those that don't want to share the load. They generally don't make good team players because they are only out for themselves. Dole bludgers and benefit fraudsters fit in the same category. Self centered blood sucking freeloading good for fuck all parasites. :yes:

Thanks for increasing my burden :bash:

For the record. I do pay my rego, but instead of keeping it current year round it now goes on hold for the six months where the amount of riding i do doesnt justify the cost.
As for increasing YOUR burden. Just smile and bend over a little more. You know you like it.:violin:

flyingcrocodile46
14th November 2010, 08:29
Nooo no no no. An injury is an injury (THEY COST THE SAME), you can get injured just as badly, if not worse in a car incident. The only thing they can "risk" us for, and it looks like that's how they calculate the levy, is being more at risk because we have less safety gear and that we have a high number of crashes per user in our user group (hard to avoid with such a small user group and such a HUGE number of cars). The FACT that cars cause over 75% of ALL road injuries doesn't seem to concern ACC or TPTB. Why not?

Probably because cars account for way more than 75% of vehicles on the road:yes:.

For the record. I do pay my rego, but instead of keeping it current year round it now goes on hold for the six months where the amount of riding i do doesnt justify the cost.
As for increasing YOUR burden. Just smile and bend over a little more. You know you like it.:violin:

If you are paying your rego for your bikes only while you are riding them (i.e putting them on hold when not using them) then we are taking the same approach. So I am guessing that your observation re 'liking' being bent over, is something you have decided that you are qualified to assess and comment on eh!
Oh yeah! you sure are a 'Stand up dude' :laugh:

davereid
14th November 2010, 08:38

Factually incorrect. In fact motorcycle injuries cost less on average than the injuries of other road users.

There are always those that don't want to share the load. They generally don't make good team players because they are only out for themselves. Dole bludgers and benefit fraudsters fit in the same category. Self centered blood sucking freeloading good for fuck all parasites. :yes: Thanks for increasing my burden :bash:

Also incorrect. I am very prepared to share the load.

But I am being asked to carry most of it, not just a share.

flyingcrocodile46
14th November 2010, 08:45
Factually incorrect. In fact motorcycle injuries cost less on average than the injuries of other road users.

It depends on how you tally the cost. Try dividing the total cost by the number of registered bikes and do the same for cars. Riding unregistered bikes makes it even worse and will likely be used to further the increases.

Also incorrect. I am very prepared to share the load.

But I am being asked to carry most of it, not just a share.

Actually it was not an incorrect statement. Try re-reading it as it was written

mashman
14th November 2010, 08:47
Probably because cars account for way more than 75% of vehicles on the road:yes:.

That's a poor excuse. How many pedestrians had road injuries in 2009? Less than motorcyclists. How many pedestrians are there? An injury is an injury. there's still a person riding or driving a vehicle, the vehicle type is secondary in my book and shouldn't be used as a financial punishment.

As for risk. For a laugh: 3,000,000 cars. 100,000 motorcycles. 20000 road incidents.

30 cars for every motorcycle :yes: (78% injury of all road injuries and likely higher for all incidents) :shit:. Chances of a car being in an incident 1 in every 150 incidents, chances of a motorcycle being in an incident 1 in every 20000 incidents. I'd rather stay on a bike please :yes:

flyingcrocodile46
14th November 2010, 08:56
That's a poor excuse.

So is comprehension failure and denial of established facts by way of substitution with unsupported theory.

Proof of 100,000 registered motorcycles please??? even so that is only 3.3% of road users. so if your figures are correct (78% of accident for cars??) are bikes (3.3%) responsible for the other 23%? Something is wrong with that logic if that is what you mean?

mashman
14th November 2010, 08:58
So is comprehension failure and denial of established facts by way of substitution with unsupported theory.

What established facts? What unsupported theory?

Would you think that more or less motorcycles would actually make a difference?

flyingcrocodile46
14th November 2010, 09:11
What established facts? What unsupported theory?

Would you think that more or less motorcycles would actually make a difference?

I was prepared to accept that your initial statement (below) may have been based in some fact (as you said it was fact)

Then take your 75% from the 100% and that leaves 25% caused by 3.3% of registered road users... or are some of that 25% made up by cyclists and pedestrians?

This however appears to be non factual theory

That's a poor excuse. How many pedestrians had road injuries in 2009? Less than motorcyclists. How many pedestrians are there? An injury is an injury. there's still a person riding or driving a vehicle, the vehicle type is secondary in my book and shouldn't be used as a financial punishment.

As for risk. For a laugh: 3,000,000 cars. 100,000 motorcycles. 20000 road incidents.

30 cars for every motorcycle :yes: (78% injury of all road injuries and likely higher for all incidents) :shit:. Chances of a car being in an incident 1 in every 150 incidents, chances of a motorcycle being in an incident 1 in every 20000 incidents. I'd rather stay on a bike please :yes:

And in answer to your question in your last post...
Would you think that more or less motorcycles would actually make a difference?Funnily enough I rather imagine that more bikes will equal more accidents involving bikes. I know that may seem strange to you, but try to imagine how many accidents would involve bikes if there weren't any on the road then work from there.

bogan
14th November 2010, 09:13
heres some numbers! (oh i do like numbers :love:)

unregestered bike % oct 2009 15.791, oct 2010 16.039 thats a 0.248% rise in unregistered bikes. Don't think thats going to put up all the levies for the rest of us.

2010 licensed bikes (including on hold)
scoots 32,471
bikes 112,772

total excluding bike on hold (but including scoots)
about 121,000 depending on the month.

So are you registering your bike, the overwhelming answer is :yes: however next year when the changes actually kick in for us organised folks I expect there to be a few more on hold :shifty:

flyingcrocodile46
14th November 2010, 09:20

Heh! and you even appear to know how to quote them so they don't make you look like an ass.

I've had enough of this. It's too much like having a logical debate with women.

pc220
14th November 2010, 09:39

If you are paying your rego for your bikes only while you are riding them (i.e putting them on hold when not using them) then we are taking the same approach. So I am guessing that your observation re 'liking' being bent over, is something you have decided that you are qualified to assess and comment on eh!
Oh yeah! you sure are a 'Stand up dude' :laugh:

I didnt say I wasnt using it, just not enough to justify the rego cost over that period. So over a 12 month period I am paying no more than under the old fees.

Conquiztador
14th November 2010, 09:40
This was about "Are you registering your bike?" I am almost 100% certain that this means "Are you paying the license fee?" as registration is done when you enter the bike in the system and the bike will stay registered until you cancel it (take in the plates) or the license has been unpaid (not put on hold) for 12 months.

The argument here for not paying the license tends to be that the increase in the fee (as a reult of the higher ACC fee) for bikes has gone up unfairly and too much. After all, that was what we protested against a year ago when we rode to Wellington.

I would almost bet on that each and everyone here are prepared to pay their share of the license fee including their share of the ACC fee. IF this all was fair. I can see that the brainwashing that the gummint has entered in to is working. Suddenly many here is "accepting" that as riding a bike is more dangerous we bikers should pay more. That so many of you are prepared to swallow this saddens me. This is NOT about an insurance scheme. This IS about the NZ ACC. ACC was ALWAYS supposed to be about that we all pay the same and when someone needs it it is there for them. This is now slowly being eroded and brainwashed out of everyone. Considering that the NZ ACC has more than once been considered the best setup in the world one can only conclude that this is done purely for sefish reasons: To sell of ACC as an insurance to bolster the gummints coffers so the end of period finances look good enough so that they will stay in power one more term allowing them to sell of other assets. KiwiBank is next in line.

As a result I have one bike paid up, but I pay in 3 months lots. No need to give them more than that to get interest of. The rest of my bikes are either unregistered or on hold and will stay so.

red mermaid
14th November 2010, 09:43
So with roughly 1 in 6 bikes not registered, does that mean that those people who are registering there bikes currently are paying extra for those that aren't?

Or in percentages, an extra 16% of the licence fee they pay, equating to $84.60 for an over 600 cc bike.

If this is correct, then thanks you bludgers unless of course you injure yourselves and then dont use the medical services I pay for.

unregestered bike % oct 2009 15.791, oct 2010 16.039 thats a 0.248% rise in unregistered bikes. Don't think thats going to put up all the levies for the rest of us.

scoots 32,471
bikes 112,772

So are you registering your bike, the overwhelming answer is :yes: however next year when the changes actually kick in for us organised folks I expect there to be a few more on hold :shifty:

pc220
14th November 2010, 09:50
Heh! and you even appear to know how to quote them so they don't make you look like an ass.

I've had enough of this. It's too much like having a logical debate with women.

Grammer Police please. Logical and woman can never be used in the same sentence.:facepalm:

Bonez
14th November 2010, 10:25
Grammer Police please. Logical and woman can never be used in the same sentence.:facepalm:Goodness and what's your excuse?

mashman
14th November 2010, 10:53
I was prepared to accept that your initial statement (below) may have been based in some fact (as you said it was fact)

I've had the numbers from several sources. You could have found them yourself instead of assuming that I hadn't already :)

Page 16 Year 2009. Actual figures for - TYPE OF ROAD USER KILLED AND INJURED YEAR ENDING 31 DECEMBER (http://www.transport.govt.nz/research/Documents/Motor-Vehicle-Crashes-in-New-Zealand-2009.pdf)

Cars: 8017
Passengers: 3370
Above Combined: 11387
Motorcycles: 1369
Other: 1758
Total: 14541

What's the percentage of car/passenger combined (they are car accidents) as a total of all road user injuries?

They have a similar figure for road deaths also.

Why would I care how many of them there are. There are people inside or on top that are guiding and pointing their vehicle of choice. They're the ones that are doing the damage. I think there should be less of them on the roads. Their figures prove them to be a menace. :lol:

Motorcyclists do have a few issue to address, I agree.

mashman
14th November 2010, 11:13

scoots 32,471
bikes 112,772

Did you get those numbers for cars?

bogan
14th November 2010, 11:13
So with roughly 1 in 6 bikes not registered, does that mean that those people who are registering there bikes currently are paying extra for those that aren't?

Or in percentages, an extra 16% of the licence fee they pay, equating to $84.60 for an over 600 cc bike.

If this is correct, then thanks you bludgers unless of course you injure yourselves and then dont use the medical services I pay for.

All it means is roughly 1 in 6 bikes still in the system are not paying license fees, it doesn't mean they are still on the road. In my shed 2 out of 3 bikes are unlicensed but in the system, and haven't done more than a few km in the last year. Others register one out of a few and swap plates (illegal but they still pay their fair share). Other just don't reg but ride anyway. Theres no way of knowing the proportion of each. But I'd be pretty surprised if the later accounted for more than 5% of the bike fleet.

bogan
14th November 2010, 11:27
Did you get those numbers for cars?

nah, cars bore me :scooter:

SMOKEU
14th November 2010, 11:39

It's your choice to pay these fees. If I phuck myself up on a push bike are you going to complain?

pc220
14th November 2010, 12:27
It's your choice to pay these fees. If I phuck myself up on a push bike are you going to complain?

No he wont. He only has issues with bikers that have had enough of been ripped off and choose not to cough up the new rego fees.
Gotta give Nic Myth some credit, his plan of divide and conquer is actually starting to work. Pitty most of those waaaaaaing on about the non payers cant see it.

Ocean1
14th November 2010, 13:20

Ah, a legal expert.

Tell me, dude, what's the correct term for the offense whereby a person or organisation obtains money from another by threatening or inflicting harm to his person?

tri boy
14th November 2010, 14:15
Ooh, I know this one. Ex Extor extort........buggar, was on the tip of my keyboard.
I got one.
Anybody know the true meaning of Red Mermaid?
Suits coppa's.

Ocean1
14th November 2010, 14:41
Ooh, I know this one. Ex Extor extort........

Good. Very good.

And the common name for the offence, when they persist after you've clearly said "no thanks"?

C'mon c'mon, synonomous, (strangely enough?) with one of the words associated with 'er majesty's finest.

Oh for Christ sakes, starts with P.... Pro...

Prote...

flyingcrocodile46
14th November 2010, 22:14
Good. Very good.

And the common name for the offence, when they persist after you've clearly said "no thanks"?

C'mon c'mon, synonomous, (strangely enough?) with one of the words associated with 'er majesty's finest.

Oh for Christ sakes, starts with P.... Pro...

Prote...

Well that's a toughie.
At a guess I'd say it's either protestant, protesitution or protectionism. Obviously there is no chance that protectionism would be in play as the Govt is very fair so it must be protestant. It fits perfectly with extortion... being a religion an all.

scracha
16th November 2010, 20:54

OMG, the ACC levies on my earnings, 2 cars, 1 diesel truck and 900cc motorcycle are all null and void because I pop out on my un-rego'd CBR a handful of times a year.

Thank you so much for subsidising this bludger Red Mermaid.

miloking
16th November 2010, 22:19

I paid approximately $25000 in tax last year...how much did you pay? (Not even mentioning that your sallary is from that tax, just pretending that you are normal working person like rest of us)... So who is the bludger...