PDA

View Full Version : Clunky sticky gearbox...

erik
26th May 2005, 17:38
The zeal's gearbox is getting worse. I changed the oil in the end of february, except I went from a semi synthetic to a mineral oil, and noticed that it was a bit harder to find neutral at the lights. I got sick of it and was worrying it might be damaging things, so at the start of May I changed the oil and filter again, before 5000km, and went back to the semi synthetic I was using before.

The semi synthetic improved things, but it's still fairly clunky and really difficult to find neutral sometimes at the lights (it changes, sometimes it's easier, sometimes not). When trying to find neutral and it's being difficult, the gear lever feels pretty stiff, like it is binding or something.

The bike has done about 68,000km.

Anyone got any advice on what this could be or what to check? I can't afford to get a mechanic to work on it, and I don't want to, I'm pretty determined to learn how to fix it myself.

I don't know if it's just to be expected and I should live with it, or if there might be something not waaay to expensive that I should do to it to keep it running longer.

I've got about 4 or 5 more weeks of uni before the mid year break when I'll have 3 weeks off, so if it's necessary, I could work on it then.

Ixion
26th May 2005, 17:51
The zeal's gearbox is getting worse. I changed the oil in the end of february, except I went from a semi synthetic to a mineral oil, and noticed that it was a bit harder to find neutral at the lights. I got sick of it and was worrying it might be damaging things, so at the start of May I changed the oil and filter again, before 5000km, and went back to the semi synthetic I was using before.

The semi synthetic improved things, but it's still fairly clunky and really difficult to find neutral sometimes at the lights (it changes, sometimes it's easier, sometimes not). When trying to find neutral and it's being difficult, the gear lever feels pretty stiff, like it is binding or something.

Anyone got any advice on what this could be or what to check? I can't afford to get a mechanic to work on it, and I don't want to, I'm pretty determined to learn how to fix it myself.

I don't know if it's just to be expected and I should live with it, or if there might be something not waaay to expensive that I should do to it to keep it running longer.

I've got about 4 or 5 more weeks of uni before the mid year break when I'll have 3 weeks off, so if it's necessary, I could work on it then.

All wet clutches drag. Tis a act of life. Some is worse than others. Some drag more as they wear. If the clutch is properly adjusted then you may just need to live with it. Old trick is to let clutch out as if starting off, then as soon as it bites pull it in, and as the bike goes from wanting to move forward to not, flick it into neutral. There'll be a point when the load is off the gearbox.

WINJA
26th May 2005, 17:56
CAN YOU CLUTCHLESS SHIFT EASY WHEN THE BIKE IS MOBILE , IF SO YOU MAY NEED TO ADJUST YOUR CLUTCH OR YOU COULD HAVE WARPED PLATES

erik
26th May 2005, 18:55
Thanks, I didn't think of the clutch... :doh:

I'll try clutchless shifting tomorrow and see how it goes/report back.

I think the clutch cable is properly adjusted, I've set it so that it's got about 10mm of play at the end of the lever. Can't remember where I saw to use that amount of free play though. Could be that I have to have it tighter?

FlyingDutchMan
26th May 2005, 20:04
I'd change the oil every 3000km - I just did mine after 2,800 and it was spot on the right time to do it - I also noticed the clutch slips a little more now. Also check that the chain has 1-2 inches of slack.

Motu
26th May 2005, 20:27
Most Yamaha's (it is a Yamaha?,I wouldn't have a clue what a Zeal is) have a draggy clutch when hot,you could pull the plates out and clean them up,do some other tricks....and end up with it exactly the same.What grade oil are you using? Maybe try a thinner oil and see if that helps.

erik
27th May 2005, 20:01
Well, I tried clutchless shifting and it seemed to go pretty smoothly, so I had another look at the clutch lever and cable.
I'd set it up so it had some slack before the cable started pulling on the lever that goes into the crankcase. So I tried tightening it. Pulling on the clutch lever, it'll pull the cable and the lever going into the crankcase and then there's a point where it gets stiffer, I'm guessing that's where it actually starts pulling the clutch plates apart. So I've set it up so it's got about 10mm "slack" at the end of the lever before the stiffer bit where it feels like it's pulling the clutch.
I've only ridden it back home from uni, but it definately feels better :)
I think maybe this was the only problem all along - an incorrectly adjusted clutch cable :doh:

Well, it's a good lesson learned. ;)

(The oil in it at the moment is 10W40)

WINJA
27th May 2005, 20:11
Well, I tried clutchless shifting and it seemed to go pretty smoothly, so I had another look at the clutch lever and cable.
I'd set it up so it had some slack before the cable started pulling on the lever that goes into the crankcase. So I tried tightening it. Pulling on the clutch lever, it'll pull the cable and the lever going into the crankcase and then there's a point where it gets stiffer, I'm guessing that's where it actually starts pulling the clutch plates apart. So I've set it up so it's got about 10mm "slack" at the end of the lever before the stiffer bit where it feels like it's pulling the clutch.
I've only ridden it back home from uni, but it definately feels better :)
I think maybe this was the only problem all along - an incorrectly adjusted clutch cable :doh:

Well, it's a good lesson learned. ;)

(The oil in it at the moment is 10W40)
I USUALLY ADJUST MINE SO THAT THERE IS A 1MM TO 2 MM FREEPLAY AT THE PERCH NOT AT THE LEVER END , BUT WHAT WORKS IS GOOD

Teflon
27th May 2005, 20:36

Thats just a typical yamaha gear box.

Kwaka-Kid
28th May 2005, 01:00
sounds fairly typical to me erik, from what i udnerstand, all these can affect finding neutral.
1) clutch play
2) chain tension
3) Carb Balancing (this is a big one, and if u find, a quick rev or 2 whilst a tiny bit of pressure is on the lever towards neutral, makes it slot in good.. then it couldbe this)
4) engine oil
5) clutch plates

come around with it sometime dude, i wouldnt mind a feel of it.

Otherwise spot ya round! good luck with it too.

What?
28th May 2005, 19:45
Also could be the slots in the clutch basket have grooves worn in them which makes the plates drag (they do not move freely in the basket). This can be remedied with CAREFUL use of a file, but the clutch will be a bit rattly afterwards.