PDA

View Full Version : Going Slow for Pleasure.

twistymover
20th November 2003, 01:15
How does your bike do going round corners slow? Does it do slow well? I don't mean a dead crawl necessarily. I like going round corners at a reasonably pace too, where safe, but I like slow cornering too. I like the way my bike handles into a corner.It does it well. Also I can see more, feel more relaxed and maybe lift the visor and sniff the sea or country air. It doesn't matter what speed I'm doing, I just like doing the bike thing.

Motu
20th November 2003, 07:14
I like the slow thing - 30 yrs ago I used to ride a 500cc side valve single....13 hp to pull a bike of 450lb (200kg?) I also rode a C50 for 7 yrs - these fast guys just don't know what they are missing!!

riffer
20th November 2003, 07:14
I had a management meeting in Tawa yesterday (I work in Wellington but my parent company is in Tawa) and because in live in Upper Hutt, I took Haywards Hill. Its the first time I've gone over it since the roadworks were finished, and the first on my new bike.

Anyway, going through Whitby towards Porirua is the loveliest little slow road - its marked mainly 50km/h with some 70km/h stretches.

So I know what you mean. Just trying to ride as smooth as possible, and really enjoying the ride.

I think I got into that groove yesterday morning. The weather was lovely. The traffic was light so I could go at 60-80km/h and just feeling to bike glide around the corners, effortlessly flipping from side to side ... ah you just can't beat... damn I was in a good mood yesterday when I got to work.

Crikey I'm beginning to sounds like Ira Goldstein (ASB television ads).:p

Lou Girardin
20th November 2003, 07:52
I like slow, but my wrists don't. I hired an XR250 recently and that was great fun even at 60km/h.
Lou

Motoracer
20th November 2003, 10:32
I only wish I had the luxury of being plesured by going slow. It would have literaly saved me thousands and thousand of $$ over the years.

jrandom
20th November 2003, 11:51
The last loan bike I had from Holeshot was a GZ250 for three days. Going anything other than slow wasn't an option.

Funnily enough after I gave it back I kinda missed the whole 'sitting back' riding style. I can understand why people buy cruisers. The temptation to filter like a nutcase and do various other silly, potentially expensive and/or dangerous things on the road goes away completely, and you're left with nothing to do but pootle along sniffing the breeze (or the fumes).

The FXR doesn't feel right unless I'm caning the tits off it, though. (If the FXR *had* tits, they'd be A-cups...)

bungbung
20th November 2003, 15:54
The vtr is ok to tootle around on, but the wrist thing is a problem. Still on a sunny day by the see, can be just the ting. (in a 50km/h zone) :D

Marmoot
20th November 2003, 18:03
Blade "falls-in" when slow and not too stable (feels a bit oversteer).
I suspect that's what the "notorious 16" wheels" problem is. The front tyre profile is too high. It's worse when the front is used up (but not squared-off) as it gets very pointy.
Mine is 99.

Yarg
21st November 2003, 08:51
very enjoyable. maybe we could orgaise a slower ride one day.

yarg.

Lou Girardin
21st November 2003, 14:53
How slow? Might need two days.
Lou

twistymover
22nd November 2003, 00:55
Originally posted by Motu
- these fast guys just don't know what they are missing!!
Yeah, could be a bit of a novelty for some. Go slow!?:gob:

wari
23rd November 2003, 08:52
Going slow reminds me of an old work mates saying ...

"I might be slow, but I'm rough" heh heh ... and he was.

Anyway , talking about slow, I like toootling home after a day out , somewhere around dinner time, smelling all the different meals a cookin' .... makes me hungry. Bar-B-Qs smell the best and KFC and fish and chips and that etc,.

inlinefour
17th January 2005, 02:22
How does your bike do going round corners slow? Does it do slow well? I don't mean a dead crawl necessarily. I like going round corners at a reasonably pace too, where safe, but I like slow cornering too. I like the way my bike handles into a corner.It does it well. Also I can see more, feel more relaxed and maybe lift the visor and sniff the sea or country air. It doesn't matter what speed I'm doing, I just like doing the bike thing.

You mean looking at the talent walking down the road?