PDA

View Full Version : Help! computer: lost taskbar

Okey Dokey
16th June 2010, 13:52
I am on XP The taskbar & Start Button on the bottom of my screen were present this morning at startup. After changing my background picture, the taskbar has disappered. I checked in my Computer and the Hide Taskbar bit is NOT selected.

When I am in internet explorer or outlook, the space where my taskbar used to be, is showing the bottom of my new background picture.

Can anyone advise me what I can do? I don't even know how to safely restart/turn off my computer without my start button.

Bald Eagle
16th June 2010, 13:53
Go for a ride on your bike :rofl: ( three finger salute is required )

Okey Dokey
16th June 2010, 13:56
Cheers, but the problem will still be here when I get back! :)

NighthawkNZ
16th June 2010, 14:08
When you push the windows key on the keyboard, what happens... you have accidently switched it to auto hide, or something

onearmedbandit
16th June 2010, 14:09
CTRL ALT DEL will bring up task manager, which will allow you to shut down your computer.

Ronin
16th June 2010, 14:10
I am on XP The taskbar & Start Button on the bottom of my screen were present this morning at startup. After changing my background picture, the taskbar has disappered. I checked in my Computer and the Hide Taskbar bit is NOT selected.

When I am in internet explorer or outlook, the space whwere my taskbar used to be, is showing the bottom of my new background picture.

Can anyone advise me what I can do? I don't even know how to safely restart/turn off my computer without my start button.

If you hold ctrl and press esc you will at least get your program menu to see. Try taking the mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen then click and hold while you drag the mouse back up. You may have shifted it by mistake. Try restarting your machine either using menus or just press the on/off button. That will doa safe shut down and you can then restart and see if it has come right... You may be surprised. Failing that PM me

Okey Dokey
16th June 2010, 14:14
When you push the windows key on the keyboard, what happens... you have accidently switched it to auto hide, or something

When I do that I can see the menu that normally appears when I click my start button! Thank you, at least I can do a turn off/ restart now :)

Okey Dokey
16th June 2010, 14:17
CTRL ALT DEL will bring up task manager, which will allow you to shut down your computer.

Thanks for your response. I thought the cntrl/alt/delete thing was a risky thing to do to a computer. I am a self-taught keyboard fumbler, and am always worried I am going to break something!

Okey Dokey
16th June 2010, 14:20
If you hold ctrl and press esc you will at least get your program menu to see. Try taking the mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen then click and hold while you drag the mouse back up. You may have shifted it by mistake. Try restarting your machine either using menus or just press the on/off button. That will doa safe shut down and you can then restart and see if it has come right... You may be surprised. Failing that PM me

Thanks to you, too. the mouse and drag did not do anything. Your other tip is great- thank you- it took me a minute to FIND the escape button ( I am not kidding) :)

I will try a restart and hope it resolves the issue.

onearmedbandit
16th June 2010, 14:22
Thanks for your response. I thought the cntrl/alt/delete thing was a risky thing to do to a computer. I am a self-taught keyboard fumbler, and am always worried I am going to break something!

Actually it's a very useful tool. You can't do any harm there as such, as it only really reports what's happening. However it does allow you to close down applications that have locked or crashed individually either through the 'Applications' or 'Processes' tabs, instead of having to restart your computer.

MSTRS
16th June 2010, 14:23
Something similar has happened to me, some time ago. If I remember right, I put the cursor at the very top of the screen and double clicked the left mouse...

p.dath
16th June 2010, 14:32
Why don't you try changing your background back again, and see if that changes the problem.

Okey Dokey
16th June 2010, 14:33
I'm back...and so is my toolbar!!! The restart sorted it out. Many thanks to all of you for your kindness in helping me out- blings sent :)

Okey Dokey
16th June 2010, 14:35
Why don't you try changing your background back again, and see if that changes the problem.

Great minds and all that- I did but it didn't help. Cheers; all sorted now!

EJK
16th June 2010, 14:37

Honestly, like onearmedbandit said, it's the best thing Microsoft has ever invented.

Okey Dokey
16th June 2010, 14:40
That is good to know. I honestly thought it was a last resort thing, so I never did it. Now I know it is okay, and I appreciate everyone taking a minute to help me out.

EJK
16th June 2010, 14:45
Congrats on getting your toolbar back btw

Squiggles
16th June 2010, 14:56
get a mac </10chars>

pete376403
16th June 2010, 18:01
Honestly, like onearmedbandit said, it's the best thing Microsoft has ever invented.

Actually an IBM engineer (David Bradley) developed the CTRL-ALT-DEL sequence - Microsoft just made it popular (and very necessary) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control-Alt-Delete