PDA

View Full Version : Grays Road 60km/h

blackdog
17th June 2010, 16:52
Greys rd.

'Temporary' 60km/h signs now in place for the whole length of the road.

Im sure the temporary signs will be removed shortly but the 60's will remain.

Radar traps will ensue is my guess.

geez they take all the fun out of it.

Str8 Jacket
17th June 2010, 17:19
About time, that road is dangerous don't you know....

MSTRS
17th June 2010, 17:32
Only when Fatjim is on it...

Gone Burger
17th June 2010, 17:48
I noticed the new temporary speed limit out that way last weekend. Was quite disappointed actually as I usually loved just cruising round the waterfront. And yes I agree, can see the speed being reduced to 60k on a permanent basis.

:(

rustic101
17th June 2010, 17:50
Its for all the car 'enthusiasts', that keep crashing and killing themselves not us.....

Hitcher
17th June 2010, 19:54
Ludicrous. This isn't a "dangerous" road. It's just one that troubles car drivers who haven't quite figured out how to negotiate corners.

Motu
17th June 2010, 19:58
The speed limit through Huntly has been raised from 50kph to 70kph - guess we are just lucky.

blackdog
17th June 2010, 20:35
Ludicrous. This isn't a "dangerous" road. It's just one that troubles car drivers who haven't quite figured out how to negotiate corners.

Seconded. So....

I've decided the 60km/h is a target for the hairpins. Should be able to scratch the sliders with nice warm tyres and a dry line.

In terms of what is safe, some foul days it can be much less than 60km/h in places.

On other days it could be well in excess of the speed limit (Proved by the fact i've driven the road a thousand times in twenty years at the limit, when it was 100, and then when it was 80 and never once had an incident, and so have you).

The limit for any stretch of road can't be decided by a road sign. It is dictated by the conditions, and the decisions of an individual rider.

The limits of the operator and the limits imposed upon us are quite different. Ultimately only the rider can judge what is safe within their limits, and at what point the penalties for deciding how fast to go outweigh the conscequences.

sinned
17th June 2010, 20:58
I went for a little poodle around that road today and was surprised and disappointed to see the numerous 60kph signs. What looked like a cop followed me and then half way around another one; it was a slow ride.

Ocean1
17th June 2010, 21:01

Was certainly a couple of patrol cars and a camera in evidence this morning.

And I like the new temporary 80K speed limit signs on Haywards. The LED ones with big heavy galvanised frames. The ones concreted in place.

They've even put a temporary reminder warning sign a bit further on. An LED one, with a big heavy galvanised frame wot tells you to slow down like the first one said. Just temporary-like.

Toaster
17th June 2010, 21:32
Greys rd.

'Temporary' 60km/h signs now in place for the whole length of the road.

Im sure the temporary signs will be removed shortly but the 60's will remain.

geez they take all the fun out of it.

There is a project underway to deal with a few specific areas of Grays Road that have had very significant numbers of crashes. Given the locations of these "blackspots" and the onsite work needing to be established and completed - the temp 60 signs are in place and are at this point to be removed once completed.

Most of the crashes relate to muppets in cars crossing centrelines into oncoming traffic or losing control and going for an impromptu swim, all likely thinking they are god's gift to driving. Many were younger drivers in relatively powerful cars.

Grays Road is a good road to ride.... or at least it was. I can see the tracks getting more and more demand for business in Summer with trackdays!

Str8 Jacket
18th June 2010, 06:44

Exactly my point..... Where the hell is the sarcasm smiley?!?!

Scuba_Steve
18th June 2010, 09:20
what shit!. If you can't govern yourself round that road you deserve to be written off!.
In saying that, these "adjustments" to the road are alot of the problem people don't "drive" anymore they just steer. Theirs paint everywhere to say where they should be, signs to tell 'em what to do & pretty lights telling them how to deal with intersections. All the "driving" & thus thinking has been taken out of it.
Fact is - easier the roads(and cars for that matter), worse the drivers!

Oh and this road (when I was younger) used to 100km/h, People back then had no problems driving it!

MSTRS
18th June 2010, 09:36
Oh and this road (when I was younger) used to 100km/h, People back then had no problems driving it!

And going into the ditches. And the sea. And the traffic coming the other way.
Nothing different, really.

Ocean1
18th June 2010, 09:48
I can see double yelow lines and full length armco included in the improvements.

Same as the south side of the inlet.

The Baron
18th June 2010, 14:54
Oh hell no - not double yellow lines - anything but that!

Whats the world coming to?

Fatjim
18th June 2010, 16:35
60kph is actually a reasonable speed limit for most of that road, for a car.

roogazza
19th June 2010, 10:22
60kph is actually a reasonable speed limit for most of that road, for a car.
and for some bikes and most people going by the stats ! But, the Piecock too, is 70 in places but who actually takes notice of that, unless of course a policeman is nearby.
Pick your time and throw the dice, that's the game we play.

The Baron
20th June 2010, 07:38
I went for a ride yesterday around Grays Road just to have a look and it is painful to do that road at 60. 70 maybe 80 was OK but 60 is just wrong. I do the ride from Masterton around Porirua harbour and back quite often and I must say it is not the same ride any more with double yellows over the Rimutakas and Haywards and now 60kph on Grays Road. I think it may be time for a change. I was also thinking that when laws and rules are wrong and unjust then ordinary people will break them because they are wrong and unjust.
Double yellow lines are to stop people over taking but to paint them for many k's and not supply passing lanes is just poor road design. A cheap cop out.
Well my 2 cents worth. I feel better now I have that off my chest. Carry on.

mrchips
20th June 2010, 08:32
The 80 k speed limit is sensible but If the 60k limit sticks you'll find the 'less coordinated' drivers this is aimed at will just use the alternative. Paekak Hill road will form their 'fun run'.

Oh the carnage !

Quasi
20th June 2010, 09:09
I went for a ride yesterday around Grays Road just to have a look and it is painful to do that road at 60. 70 maybe 80 was OK but 60 is just wrong. I do the ride from Masterton around Porirua harbour and back quite often and I must say it is not the same ride any more with double yellows over the Rimutakas and Haywards and now 60kph on Grays Road. I think it may be time for a change. I was also thinking that when laws and rules are wrong and unjust then ordinary people will break them because they are wrong and unjust.
Double yellow lines are to stop people over taking but to paint them for many k's and not supply passing lanes is just poor road design. A cheap cop out.
Well my 2 cents worth. I feel better now I have that off my chest. Carry on.

Paekak is still a great road, but the Haywards , Grays, the Takas are just plain old tedious. The Takas are simply the get away route to better roads. You, like me, are spoilt in that we have lots of great roads in our playground, with NO double yellows, and lots of twisites. Lets hope it stays that way.

Owl
20th June 2010, 15:01
Exactly my point..... Where the hell is the sarcasm smiley?!?!

Hitcher doesn't do smiley's:no:

Ocean1
20th June 2010, 16:27
I was also thinking that when laws and rules are wrong and unjust then ordinary people will break them because they are wrong and unjust.

We reached and passed that point about 1965.

I've been ignoring the bastards ever since.

Rhys
20th June 2010, 20:10
They were debating on banning trucks as part if the "make the road safer" w**ers, learn to drive !!!

Eyegasm
21st June 2010, 12:02
the Takas are just plain old tedious. The Takas are simply the get away route to better roads.

WHAT!!!!

The Taka is awesome. Although the yellows make it annoying that you have to see further up the road before overtaking. Yes, I know it's wrong but much better than being stuck behind someone doing 30kph...

I find the haywards boring, not enough corners but is the best way to get to the peacock hill (I hit a peacock on it once so the name has stuck)