PDA

View Full Version : Travel to New Zealand -- some questions

brockhaus
20th November 2003, 07:15
Hallo to the other side of the world (Austria - New Zealand).

I want to tour across New Zealand by motorcycle starting in
the middle of January for about six weeks.
I've finished my studies of electronics engineering and I want to do a trip through New Zealand before I start working again.

I've looked around and tried to contact a MC dealer in Auckland to get an idea whether I should hire a motorcycle from NZ Motorcycles or buy one in New Zealand and sell it afterwards....

It's quite expensive to hire a motorcycle for such a long time (76NZD/day).
I had a HONDA CB400 1984 model in South Africa and a YAMAHA XT500Z 1986
model.
I don't need a new motorcycle but it should be in good shape.
Can't afford spending more than 4000NZD to buy one and want to get more
than 2500NZD back afterwards -- if I can't find a place to keep the
motorcycle for tours in the future.
I would prefer a motorcycle with panniers and a top box.

I'll arrive and leave NZ in Auckland but want to see most of New
Zealand, I want to meet people there and want to make friends.

I've no special route till now but hope to get lots of suggestions from
you.

Don't be irritated by the picture on my start - page
http://marcus.fhstudent.at a friend programmed the web page, made that
funny photo and told me to keep it there....
There's also an English version (bottom right)

Thanks for your response,

cu, Marcus

Coldkiwi
20th November 2003, 11:37
Hey marcus.

I think you'd be best to get buy a bike. I've seen the NZ m/cycle hire rates and for anything more than a week they'll ruin all but the wealthest bank account.

I deal with Mt Eden Motorcycles quite a bit who deal in 2nd hand bikes and I've found them really good to do business with. call Mike on +64 9 303 1960

Hope to see you along to a ride or meeting in January sometime here then!

riffer
20th November 2003, 11:50
Or you could look at http://www.bikepoint.co.nz for a list of motorcycles for sale, mostly by dealers, in New Zealand.

It has quite a good search facility.

MikeL
20th November 2003, 12:13
I agree. In your situation hiring a bike would not be the best solution unless you have ridiculous amounts of money and don't want to be bothered with hassles of buying and selling.
If you choose carefully $4000 should buy you a reasonable 400-750cc bike that will still be worth $2500 when you come to sell it. Do your homework by browsing the websites suggested, and remember that you can usually negotiate a better price from a dealer, or buy a similar bike privately for around 20% less (but you do get some protection when buying from a dealer).
Ich wünsche Ihnen viel Glück und eine angenehme Reise.

brockhaus
22nd November 2003, 14:30
Hi,
I've visited the website, phoned Redbaron, tried to phone Mike...
I've decided not to hire the 70NZD/day XT600 motorcycle from NZbikes.
There are lots of interesting people doing interesting work :-)
Acoustic engineers, people with big cameras (want to visit www.salt.ac.za in South Africa in March), teacher speaking German (Deutschlehrer?)
Look forward to meet some of you and maybe make a ride as well. :soon: :2thumbsup

MikeL
22nd November 2003, 22:30
Marcus
Let us know your arrival date and time. I can probably meet you at the airport and help you with transport, accommodation and so on in Auckland. I'm sure others from this forum will also do their best to help you out - perhaps a ride round the Coromandel as an introduction to NZ roads??
BTW Ich bin Sprachlehrer aber nicht Deutschlehrer. Ich habe Deutsch an der Universitat studiert, aber das war vor 25 Jahren, und ich habe fast alles vergessen!

Mike

Andrew
23rd November 2003, 00:56
He Marcus haben wir ähnliche Interessen. Ich studiere Elektroniktechnik im Augenblick und ich liebe es. Ich schaue Vorwärtssitzung Sie folgendes Jahr und auf eine Fahrt auch gehen. Wenn Sie ein Motorrad kaufen möchten, können Sie möchten diese Web site www.trademe.co.nz betrachten und www.trade-exchange.co.nz I Hoffnung dieses ist nützlich. Andrew

brockhaus
23rd November 2003, 12:18
I've seen that there are bikes and the trade exchange - website looks also very interesting.
I think I should start placing ads two or three weeks before I arrive in Auckland.
Keep you informed via forum and website (http://marcus.fhstudent.at) server is running again.
And don't forget normally I don't look like that (sticker).
cu, Marcus

wari
23rd November 2003, 16:10
keep those legs moving on the flight over Marcus ... ya dont want DVT now do ya?

Still going by your web page , seems as tho' you've done a bit of travel so you'll know all about that. Good on ya for venturing this far down under. Hope you enjoy yourself.

brockhaus
2nd February 2004, 00:48
Hi Mates!
I'm still in Australia because it's nicer than I expected to travel using SERVAS - Hosts (network for intercultural exchange www.servas.org)
But I look forward to meet you and get my KiwiBiker - shirt to drive :)
cya soon,
Marcus