PDA

View Full Version : Helmet issue

250learna
26th May 2005, 23:18
Hey i got HJC ZF7, its a nice litle helmet :whistle:
the problem is that it seems to fog up alot even when i control my breathing carefuly, as a result i end up riding with the visor litle open most of the time. Is there anyone else who wants to admit to having one of these beauties and have you got the same problem. Also what would you suggest would be a nice replacement helmet?
Thanks

(if anyone wants my beautiful helmet as wallpaper just let me know and i will take a pic for you :puke: )

Zed
26th May 2005, 23:27
the problem is that it seems to fog up alot even when i control my breathing carefuly, as a result i end up riding with the visor litle open most of the time. Is there anyone else who wants to admit to having one of these beauties and have you got the same problem. Also what would you suggest would be a nice replacement helmet?
Thanks

(if anyone wants my beautiful helmet as wallpaper just let me know and i will take a pic for you :puke: )Had to do a search, but I recalled that HJC have recently released an accessory for the ZF7 that you breathe through to eliminate the fogging issue you are experiencing? See here: HJC (http://www.saintbrendan.com/cdnmarch/graphmar/snorkel.jpeg)

fliplid
26th May 2005, 23:34
just get yourself a "fog city" insert to stick on the inside of your visor

Big Dave
26th May 2005, 23:38

Quite correct - open your visor a crack or install a fog city - excellent product. About $50 but they last 2 seasons or more if you look after them.
All bike shops.
You can get breath guards for some of the more expensive lids too, but they don't work as well as a fog city.

N4CR
26th May 2005, 23:50
I have a cruddy HJC C-14 and I ride with it open a tad if fogging is a problem.. no rain gets in anyway. When I have it closed (stop the noise) I breath out the bottom by habit.. no fogging for me sir-ee. The only time that it fogs is when its rainy or humid or whatever causes it.

fliplid
26th May 2005, 23:55
The surface of the fog city insert is composed of a material that doesn't allow moisture droplets to form on the surface...apparently... Works for me. Rain getting in anyway is still a problem (runs down quicker though)!

g34l
27th May 2005, 00:20
my helmet does the same, and it is a hjc too. However, even i try out one of the arai ones, the problem still occurs. anyway, thanks for introducing that product, i think i will try it out once i get back on the bike.

250learna
27th May 2005, 01:25
Had to do a search, but I recalled that HJC have recently released an accessory for the ZF7 that you breathe through to eliminate the fogging issue you are experiencing? See here: HJC (http://www.saintbrendan.com/cdnmarch/graphmar/snorkel.jpeg)

thanks zed, do you know where i can get one? :killingme :killingme :killingme

250learna
27th May 2005, 01:29

this fogcity seems like quiet an accessory :niceone: , mite have to get one, but first get a decent helmet to put it into :yes:

do you fellas with expensive helmets have this problem with fogging? do you use fogcity or alike to stop it, or does it not happen at all?

Sparky Bills
27th May 2005, 01:33
I have an Arai Rx7. it has an option on the visor to open it a tad (without fully opening it) to stop fogging.
We got lots of fog free inserts, come see me mate, and ill sort ya out.

Brian d marge
27th May 2005, 02:41
Didnt Rossi swap to a nolan???? for the same reason ....... :killingme

Open face wearer and proud ( no fogging for me sir ...) ,,,,,,,,,

Stephen :D

What?
27th May 2005, 06:18
... install a fog city - excellent product. About $50 but ...
Where the hell do you shop, Dave? More like $35 in the places I frequent.

James Deuce
27th May 2005, 06:50

He works for KR - they see him coming. ;)

John
27th May 2005, 07:50
Another possibility is to try direct the air out of the helmet by breathing strongly out your nose or directing the air from your mouth down towards your neck, I do that when I hit a sudden heavy shower as normally my shoei is really good in regards to non fogging.

Sniper
27th May 2005, 07:58
Or you can stand on your head point your arse to the west whilst humming The Star Spangled banner backwards.

Actually, I dont know if that will stop the fogging but can you send us a video becuase it would be bloody amusing!!!!

***Mental not: Must lay off 4 cups of coffee in morning***

sels1
27th May 2005, 08:26
Another possibility is to try direct the air out of the helmet by breathing strongly out your nose or directing the air from your mouth down towards your neck.

Or just breathe thru your ears :whistle:

Pwalo
27th May 2005, 09:16
For a quick and dirty fix, just rub a small amount of dishwashing liquid on the inside of your visor (lemon scented is nice) and polish off gently with a soft cloth. Do it once or twice a week and seems to work a treat.

I usually spray pledge on the outside of the visor which helps the water run off.

johnny
27th May 2005, 09:42
Thanks

(if anyone wants my beautiful helmet as wallpaper just let me know and i will take a pic for you :puke: )

My is HJC too.... smae foggy problem............. :no:

vifferman
27th May 2005, 10:35
do you fellas with expensive helmets have this problem with fogging? do you use fogcity or alike to stop it, or does it not happen at all?
Doesn't happen with the X-Vent; I ride at low speed with the visor open a crack, and all the time with the vent on the chinbar open. This directs a stream of air up the visor. (Better than my last AGV, the vent of which directed a stream of air up my nose!)

As Pwalo said, treating the inside of the visor with something such as dishwashing liquid that is a surfactant is effective too. I just treat both sides of the visor with Plexus, which helps somewhat.

250learna
27th May 2005, 12:33
I would not install a fog city at the moment if you are commuting.
They are CRAP at night!
Wait until spring!

There are a few other products you can get sprays etc, a deflector is often worth it, but make sure there is airflow around your chin. I use the same stuff that divers use. If you want to buy some of mine, I can sell you some of mine for $50 a bottle. If you don't want to fork out $50 then you can spit on your own visor, it works really well.

Keep your speed up (hence the quote "I was speeding/lanesplitting because it was safer as my visor was starting to fog up").
ANd if it is raining / snowing, dry and close your visor and close top vents. you don't want any water in side because then it will fog up no matter what you do.

yeah not realy keen on spending that much yet, am going to australia in a month or two all booked in, now i have orders from girlfriend to have $1500 put aside atleast. Once i got that sorted im off to motomart for something nicer with more kudos to cover my head :Punk: so i dont realy want to spend on this helmet.

As for the spitting trick, i used that when i use to teach kids snorkling at the pool, works wonders :niceone: never thought about spitting on my visor tho :weird:

Lou Girardin
27th May 2005, 12:55
Dunno about the spitting, I go brrrm brrrm brrrm in my helmet till it's all wet and it still fogs up.

Jabez
27th May 2005, 12:57
I would not install a fog city at the moment if you are commuting.
They are CRAP at night!
Wait until spring!

There are a few other products you can get sprays etc, a deflector is often worth it, but make sure there is airflow around your chin. I use the same stuff that divers use. If you want to buy some of mine, I can sell you some of mine for $50 a bottle. If you don't want to fork out $50 then you can spit on your own visor, it works really well.

Keep your speed up (hence the quote "I was speeding/lanesplitting because it was safer as my visor was starting to fog up").
ANd if it is raining / snowing, dry and close your visor and close top vents. you don't want any water in side because then it will fog up no matter what you do.

Well I have been using a fogcity systems for over 5 years, previously in my Shoei RF800 & since my RF1000.

The RF1000 has much better air flow but just after I purchased it & installed a fogcity, there was heavy fog commuting to work in the morning & every were that the fogcity was not covering was badly fogged up, But I could see clearly through the Fogcity with the visor closed & no cold face!
It is an excellent product & dose work, there are similar products, my Wife has a Nolan with the Pinlock (I think that’s what it is called) system factory fitted & it seems to work just as well.

I do use it at night & don’t have any problems with it. I did get one that had a manufacturing defect in the middle of it which caused distortion, but that got replaced under warranty.

I think that the fogcity or simular products are the most convenient fit & forget. Sprays, spit etc are a pain to apply, as you have to do it just before you need it & what happens when you encounter fog halfway to work?

Big Dave
27th May 2005, 12:58
They are CRAP at night!

hmmm are they I thought - then i realised i only ever had one on my tinted visor.

How does the dishwashing idea work in oncoming headlights? Do you get that flare thing?

Pwalo
27th May 2005, 13:04
How does the dishwashing idea work in oncoming headlights? Do you get that flare thing?

Haven't ridden after dark for a while so can't comment on that, but I do make sure that I polish off the dishwash thoroughly with an old t shirt (or you can get distortion in the daytime). Should work ok, and it sure is cheap.

250learna
27th May 2005, 13:35
hmmm are they I thought - then i realised i only ever had one on my tinted visor.

ya thats what im worried about, and also if you get lots of moisture on to it cnt it blure up your vision?

XP@
27th May 2005, 13:47
One fo these should stop the fog.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23833&item=7158081180&rd=1

could do with a bit more googling to find a manufacturer

zeRax
27th May 2005, 14:02
my nolan n61 i think, is super, the only time it fogs is when im standing still, and it takes awhile to fog, why would i stand still for that long with my lid down ^^
quiet, comfy, cheap, ;D

zeRax
27th May 2005, 14:04
oh :P, i think nolan helmets come with this visor with uber tech, thats why, i remember peeling something off about it ^^

MrMelon
27th May 2005, 14:06
I've got 2 progrip anti-fog inserts. One for my dark visor and one for my clear one. They were $30 each from TSS, and there are no problems using them at night either. I didn't install the one on my clear visor properly and it started leaking after about a year, so I've pulled it off for now, but the one on the dark visor's still going strong!

Wolf
27th May 2005, 14:26
Had to do a search, but I recalled that HJC have recently released an accessory for the ZF7 that you breathe through to eliminate the fogging issue you are experiencing? See here: HJC (http://www.saintbrendan.com/cdnmarch/graphmar/snorkel.jpeg)
Cool as, Zed.

In all seriousness, I have considered using one - or wearing a snug fitting face mask with hoses letting down and out into the great outdoors - start looking and sounding like Darth Vader.

Big Dave
27th May 2005, 19:08

Bought the last one is Oz - so it's a long time ago too.
Thank you - I stand corrected.

Big Dave
27th May 2005, 19:23
He works for KR - they see him coming. ;)

Because of the neon blue pit shirt with huge logos and equaly garish cap - never.
Actually, I work for me and contract to the magazine. Hours are good but the boss is an asshole.

James Deuce
27th May 2005, 19:25
Because of the neon blue pit shirt with huge logos and equaly garish cap - never.
Actually, I work for me and contract to the magazine. Hours are good but the boss is an asshole.

Apparently he's huge too, and has bad taste in shirts.

What?
27th May 2005, 19:34
Bought the last one is Oz - so it's a long time ago too.
Before they became available here, I bought some from the states. Still dirt cheap from there, but the postage is a killer.

XP@ - I have used Fog City shields for years, with over half my riding in the dark. Yes, you do get a bit of flare with them, but you get used to it. A little flare is a heap better than being fogged up, especially when the ambient air temperature is around zero. I agree that the Nolan Pinlock is way, way better, but it doesn't fit my N70.

250learna
28th May 2005, 01:09
One fo these should stop the fog.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23833&item=7158081180&rd=1

could do with a bit more googling to find a manufacturer

my old lady's renault has something like that on the windscreen, so you dont have to pump air onto it like a madfukerwhoblowshotaironhiswindscreen :weird:
realy effective too i mite add.

inlinefour
28th May 2005, 06:43
I've got an Xpeed lid that does the same thing, until I open the air vents and then its smooth runnings after that. Never pays to buy a crap helmet as thats all you end up with :weird:

Racey Rider
28th May 2005, 09:06
Or just breathe thru your ears :whistle:
And how is That gunna help? (Ears!.......still IN the helmit!) :weird:

The trick is, breathe IN through the mouth,, OUT through the arse!
It can take a little bit to get the rhythm right,, and cagers do look at you funny when your lifting one cheek off the seat every second at the traffic lights,, but,,, :whocares:

O, and,
PS. Be careful of backfires!! :confused: :blink: :wacko: :sick:

WINJA
28th May 2005, 10:46
CLEAN THE VISOR THEN GO SEE MUM AND GET A LITTLE BIT OF HER SUNLIGHT OR SIMILAR DISHWASHING LIQUAD PUT A PIECE SMALL ENOUGH TO COVER A 5 CENT PIECE ON THE INSIDE OF THE VISOR AND RUB IT IN THEN POLISH , CHEAPEST ANTI FOG

Big Dave
28th May 2005, 10:48
And how is That gunna help? (Ears!.......still IN the helmit!) :weird:

The trick is, breathe IN through the mouth,, OUT through the arse!
It can take a little bit to get the rhythm right,, and cagers do look at you funny when your lifting one cheek off the seat every second at the traffic lights,, but,,, :whocares:

O, and,
PS. Be careful of backfires!! :confused: :blink: :wacko: :sick:

And you could play the digereedoo.

Wolf
28th May 2005, 20:30
And you could play the digereedoo.
Wrong direction for what he was describing, BD - to play the digereedoo you have to breathe in through your arse and out through your mouth.

Most cagers seem to manage it, I understand...

250learna
29th May 2005, 01:57
I've got an Xpeed lid that does the same thing, until I open the air vents and then its smooth runnings after that. Never pays to buy a crap helmet as thats all you end up with :weird:

the guy gave me the helmet when he sold me the bike, i got all the other gear, now just nicer helmet and some draggin jeans... might have to wait cars cambelt is getting done next week :bye: