PDA

View Full Version : zxr250 Question

250learna
26th May 2005, 23:37
how many Km do you get out of your zxr on a full tank. and how do you count a full tank,fill up with side stand or stand it up.

N4CR
26th May 2005, 23:44
Best to date was something nuts like 210+km and i put 10L to refill (roughly).

What was exact was that I got an impressive 21.1Km/L

I always fill up at 180~200 and it ends up being anywhere from 9.7-10.3L on average. About 19.5-20.5km/L since I gutted my zorst (mebby a bit lean :( )
Full tank for me is right to the metal circle bit that floats above the fuel.

I leave it on the centerstand (sit on it too :whistle: ), and make sure I hold up the pipe when finishing for those last drops - I'm half dutch so its okay to do that :killingme !

250learna
27th May 2005, 01:21
haha, the old hose trick, i do that with the car not so much with the bike.
I stand it upright and then fill up as much as i can without spilling :niceone:
i am on 210km at the moment,feels like theres planty in there still. Havent done this before so i dont have anything to compare to :wait:

John
27th May 2005, 05:10
When I was running 91 I was getting 130km to a tank, but that was due to compression igniting - and having big arse fuel jets, I'm trying out 96 now from gull and I will see how she likes it...

What fuel are you all using 98/96/91? - I'd expect a perfectly tuned ZXR to be around 220(ish)km to a tank+ running on 96.

placidfemme
27th May 2005, 07:14
I'm not sure how much I get out of mine... I usually just fill it up once a week... ran out of gas on the harbour bridge once... not risking that again... thank god for reserve tanks

Suney
27th May 2005, 07:16
About 180km from 12L

John
27th May 2005, 07:18
About 180km from 12L
What fuel 91/96/98?

Jonty
27th May 2005, 08:30
I'm running 98, although there is no marked difference from 91. I am getting about 180 before hitting reserve and I am not going to attempt to see how long that lasts :no:

Simon A
27th May 2005, 10:40
Best I have seen is 240km's! it took 14.8 liters when I filled it up so I'd say it was running on fumes!
Normally about 210-220 before I hit reserve and it takes about 12 liters when filled up.

250learna
27th May 2005, 12:18
Best I have seen is 240km's! it took 14.8 liters when I filled it up so I'd say it was running on fumes!
Normally about 210-220 before I hit reserve and it takes about 12 liters when filled up.

fuk, i need to fill up before i go anywhere then :no:
I always use 98...ALWAYS :niceone:
same with my car, i dont know bout the bike but for my car (coz its not quiet as aged as the bike) japs use 100octane and say not to use anything bellow 95 octane for the motor or you risk demage. This is different for different cars, but my bike is an '89 so i duno... maybe 91 is all it needs.
In any case 98 might cost little more but the bike is so good to me, i have to be good back :drinkup: drink up zxr theres plenty where that came from

placidfemme
27th May 2005, 12:40
Just reading up on what you've all written... I use 91 in my bike... would you recommend changing to 98? I've had no problems with the bike on 91 so it should be fine right?

250learna
27th May 2005, 13:28
Just reading up on what you've all written... I use 91 in my bike... would you recommend changing to 98? I've had no problems with the bike on 91 so it should be fine right?

if you havent had trouble should be ok, ive herd of others who have been running on 91 for ages on their 250s.
Octane is the resistance to detonate. So higher rating allowes for beter control of burning for high compression engines.
If you use lower than recomended you should have lower efficiency and higher emmisions as i understand it. But if you use higher than recomended than your just wasting your money because the motor doesnt need it...
correct me if im wrong but this is what i think

also does anyone know what the suggested octane rating is for the zxr a/c (both if they are different) :drinkup:

Suney
27th May 2005, 14:33
What fuel 91/96/98?
I used 91 :rofl:

John
27th May 2005, 14:36
if you havent had trouble should be ok, ive herd of others who have been running on 91 for ages on their 250s.
Octane is the resistance to detonate. So higher rating allowes for beter control of burning for high compression engines.
If you use lower than recomended you should have lower efficiency and higher emmisions as i understand it. But if you use higher than recomended than your just wasting your money because the motor doesnt need it...
correct me if im wrong but this is what i think

also does anyone know what the suggested octane rating is for the zxr a/c (both if they are different) :drinkup:
Well I found that I had to use 96+ or else I had problems with compression detonation, it really depends try both and see how it preforms, 91 should be fine but if you have tweaked and played with your engine then you might need 96 due to higher compression.. have fun :)

250learna
27th May 2005, 18:40
i just filled up after getting litle over 230km and it was bout 13.5l

SPORK
27th May 2005, 22:33
Hey, 250learna, I saw your bike at Pak'n'Save yesterday! I recognized it from the lack of rear fairings. You work there?

N4CR
27th May 2005, 22:56
i just filled up after getting litle over 230km and it was bout 13.5l

Hell no... dont go starting a competition, I'm sitting at 209kms right now.. ill see how far I can go :D.. do laps around the fuel station LOL

Mokoro
28th May 2005, 16:45
Another question: is there a particular year with these bikes where the horsepower decreased? I've read that at some point the cbr250's dropped down in power due to regulations in japan, im guessing that happened with zxr250's?
Reason being Im on the lookout for somthing, though I wish to buy as new and low k's as possible, unless theres a certain period in which the power turns to shite...

John
28th May 2005, 16:47
Another question: is there a particular year with these bikes where the horsepower decreased? I've read that at some point the cbr250's dropped down in power due to regulations in japan, im guessing that happened with zxr250's?
Reason being Im on the lookout for somthing, though I wish to buy as new and low k's as possible, unless theres a certain period in which the power turns to shite...
93 onwards I think they dropped the crank power from 45hp to 40hp due to restrictions in japan - IIRC

N4CR
28th May 2005, 23:05
I thaught 94... might be 93 though. They stopped making them soon after that though. :( Would be nice to see a zx6r lookalike 250 :love:

John
29th May 2005, 08:53
I thaught 94... might be 93 though. They stopped making them soon after that though. :( Would be nice to see a zx6r lookalike 250 :love:
yea might have being 94 actually dont have the info and that bike.de shit is useless.

Suney
29th May 2005, 09:27
Was just curious
Is your alias Tristan K or is it Triss Tank?

John
29th May 2005, 10:11
Was just curious
Is your alias Tristan K or is it Triss Tank?
Tristan K.

250learna
29th May 2005, 23:52
Hey, 250learna, I saw your bike at Pak'n'Save yesterday! I recognized it from the lack of rear fairings. You work there?

ohh bro thats only in the pic coz i was sorting out the bike after i first got it. Wasnt at pack n slave for ages, go past everyday tho. I work at H20 xtream, you can see my bike parked outside staff room window so someone can always keep an eye out for me :niceone: :ride:

250learna
29th May 2005, 23:56
Hell no... dont go starting a competition, I'm sitting at 209kms right now.. ill see how far I can go :D.. do laps around the fuel station LOL

:ride: im going for distance :ride:
250 next time, mite have to keep the bike upright(sit on it) when filling up tho :devil2:
the BP gods will strike me down and set my groin on fire
:drinkup:

N4CR
30th May 2005, 11:40
Yeah I just filled her up upright... it does fit a little more in than usual but it might have been because of the higher revs and more acceleration that I have been doing lately. Who knows.
By the way, how big is our reserve.. 2L or just 1L? If I calculate it out properly I should be able to get 290-300kms exactly from a tank including reserve :niceone:

250learna
30th May 2005, 12:07
Yeah I just filled her up upright... it does fit a little more in than usual but it might have been because of the higher revs and more acceleration that I have been doing lately. Who knows.
By the way, how big is our reserve.. 2L or just 1L? If I calculate it out properly I should be able to get 290-300kms exactly from a tank including reserve :niceone:
i never reached reserve on my bike, not that game. I fill up when it gets into 200s, coz knowing my luck it would stop id put it on reserve and it would not want to start...

John
30th May 2005, 15:48
FFS.

I got 50000km out of my fuel.

Reserve is 3 litres.

Jonty
30th May 2005, 15:55

Bloody hell - your bike will be a lot quicker if you lose the trailer carrying your spare fuel tank

John
30th May 2005, 15:58
Bloody hell - you're bike will be a lot quicker if you lose the trailer carrying your spare fuel tank
Dont worry he needs it to carry the amount of cock home that he gets at school.

Jonty
30th May 2005, 16:05
Dont worry he needs it to carry the amount of cock home that he gets at school.

LOL :killingme

On another note, have you had any issues with your cam chain on your machine? I have a feeling mine may need to head in for a tighten as the "ticking" when cold is getting louder I think!

John
30th May 2005, 16:16
LOL :killingme

On another note, have you had any issues with your cam chain on your machine? I have a feeling mine may need to head in for a tighten as the "ticking" when cold is getting louder I think!
Yup the cam chain tensioners on these bikes are infidels they are utter ass munchers - If I was you I would convert it to a manual tensioner (ask a mech to do it if your unsure) and always make sure its serviced them chains can rip through the rocker cover happily, I can show you a picture of it if you need proof of what a un maintained cam chain/tensioner can lead to.

Also dont worry about it they are noisey as hell, but thanks to mine being a manual one now Its always rather quiet and I love it :)

Actually you say ticking? did you just have your valves done because the cam chain rattles, at idle its bloody defeningly loud - but take it in for a checkup and it will treat you right if you keep on top of servicing.

Jonty
30th May 2005, 16:22
Cheers, yeh it is a loud ticking noise. It is actually silent at idle but if you give it a little gas it starts ticking quite loudly until the engine warms up then its gone. I am pretty sure it is the chain slapping on the cover but can't be sure. The shop said it was OK when I bought it but I will get them to have a look at the next service. The old girl only has to hold on for 2 more months. Although, she has always run fine.

John
30th May 2005, 16:28
Cheers, yeh it is a loud ticking noise. It is actually silent at idle but if you give it a little gas it starts ticking quite loudly until the engine warms up then its gone. I am pretty sure it is the chain slapping on the cover but can't be sure. The shop said it was OK when I bought it but I will get them to have a look at the next service. The old girl only has to hold on for 2 more months. Although, she has always run fine.
Ah sounds more like valves then - they make a ticking sound after they have had the clearances done, this is solely due to the new sized shims setting and will disappear in a week or so of riding, if it was the tensioner then you would find that it would 'whirr' when you start slowing down and rattle at idle, but as soon as there is some load the tensioner tightens the cam chain and the noise will disappear... If the ticking doesn’t disappear then it maybe an idea to throw it at a shop, but then again some engines just like to make funny noises to make us worry when we are 1000km from home, who knows.

Jonty
30th May 2005, 16:32
Cheers for that. The valves haven't been done. The chain does make a slight rattle at idle, but the culprit noise is a ticking noise. It hasn't cuased any problems so I will get them to check it at the next service.

:niceone:

R6_kid
3rd June 2005, 10:39
ummm... im on 260km from a tank (i filled it up to 15L from pretty much dry) and its still goin strong, im guessing i'll make the 3 hundy mark but i dont wanna push it :no:

Brett
3rd June 2005, 21:30
I generally hit the low 300's off a completely empty tank... I was actually just considering whether or not to swap over to 96octane and see if it makes much difference...don't think it will, cause I dont get any detonation anyway...

250learna
4th June 2005, 18:19
ummm... im on 260km from a tank (i filled it up to 15L from pretty much dry) and its still goin strong, im guessing i'll make the 3 hundy mark but i dont wanna push it :no:

lucky for some... i am sitting on 107km since i last filled up (posted in this thread) dont go anywhere coz of exams :no:
me and a few m8s are going to napier to put some real milage on during uni holidays tho :Punk: