PDA

View Full Version : GSX1200 Inazuma. Cheap fun tourer/commuter

jaffamont
20th June 2010, 09:42
Hi all. First post on here after many months lurking about. I thought I would write a quick review about the Suzuki GSX1200 that I have recently bought on TM.

She’s a 2000 model and NZ new. I’m pretty sure the frame and engine are much the same as the GS1200? Bike is in great condition and handles/goes like a newish one. These things were only sold new in NZ for a small amount of time hence there are not a lot about. They have a great retro look, and pull like a horny schoolboy. Comfort is excellent for one or two. Handling is good, without being great (RT will be getting some shocks to tweak very soon) it has factory Showa’s up the back so hopefully it’s a decent start point. Brakes are Brembo up front with cast iron rotors, this gives the bike really good braking performance. As everybody knows the big oil cooled lump in these things is bulletproof, brilliant etc etc. Ok so it’s old technology, but it still works bloody well.

I recently took the bike on a ride down to Palmy (from Tauranga), and the thing did not miss a beat. Was comfortable as, and was good on the gas (under a tank and a half eash way. Is a 18L tank). Looking forward to loading it up with tent sleeping bag etc, and getting some more in depth stats around fuel economy!!

I believe it was a great buy, and thoroughly enjoy riding it. She is a bit of an oddball I know, but in this instance the oddball has made a whole lot of sense. Many will disagree I am sure, but I’m happy, and being as I am the only one that has to ride it, that is all that matters.

Edbear
20th June 2010, 10:36
Couldn't agree more! They're a great bike along the lines of the GSX1400. Grunty, comfy and a great allrounder. May you enjoy it long time!

AllanB
20th June 2010, 11:02
I had the later GS1200ss and from all I could see and read they are essentially the same bar cosmetics and body style. Mine had the titanium Yoshi full system - sounded G O O D.

The ss has a following ion Japan and there are aftermarket goodies for them - shocks etc.

Dschubba
20th September 2010, 18:02
Had one for 7 years owned since new. Great reliable bike.
With the steel/glass headlight I modified mine installing a relay and put in a 120/90W headlight. The lights were nearly as good as on the ZX14.
Needed the relay, else it dropped 2V (ie around 20watts) across the switch
The guy I sold it to didn't ride it much.