PDA

View Full Version : South Island: Southern Rider Escapade 2010

Jantar
20th June 2010, 20:24
For those who want see a bit more of the South Island than just SH1. :shutup:

The Escapade is a bike road rally with a slight difference. You are given a route to take, and along this route you must answer questions that are given on a question sheet. You then return the question sheet with your answers. Then your badge is sent out to you after the close off date for completing the Escapade.

The dates are not set in stone for a weekend that you do it on. You have from 1 September 2010 till 30th November 2010, a period of 3 months to complete. You can do it in your own time, by yourself or with a group. You can do it in one go or a couple of days and make it a holiday away. You can do it in any order you like as long as you get all the questions.

More info
http://www.southernrider.co.nz/forum/escapade.php

Entry form
http://southernrider.co.nz/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=39&Itemid=496

FJRider
20th June 2010, 20:36
Looks like fun ... :yes:

NighthawkNZ
21st June 2010, 07:37
I am definately doing it... :-)

Transalper
21st June 2010, 08:25
Indeed, enjoyed the last one, did it as a weekend away and am keen to do this one too.

NighthawkNZ
21st June 2010, 16:03
You can register online here (http://www.southernrider.co.nz/forum/escapadeform.php)... and do the internet banking thing...
http://www.southernrider.co.nz/forum/escapadeform.php

Gremlin
22nd June 2010, 03:57
you lucky bastids

_Shrek_
22nd June 2010, 09:15
you lucky bastids

na,na,na :bleh:

:wari: look forward to it NH :niceone:

cromagnon
22nd June 2010, 09:47
Yup looks like a good excuse for a ride one weekend.

Mrs Shrek
22nd June 2010, 10:32
:yes: I'll be in and I can :scooter: my own bike too. :clap:

neels
22nd June 2010, 11:00
Hmmm, might have to see if I can rustle up some company for a chch-dunedin-chch weekend mission...

Bald Eagle
22nd June 2010, 11:03
Hmmm, might have to see if I can rustle up some company for a chch-dunedin-chch weekend mission...

Remember to phone ahead to make sure it's open :lol:

neels
22nd June 2010, 11:16
Remember to phone ahead to make sure it's open :lol:
As long as the speights brewery is open, nothing else really matters does it?

Jackal
22nd June 2010, 20:17

I'd be a starter. Am going to do the on-line register thingee soon so as I'm ready to go at the drop of a hat

_Shrek_
22nd June 2010, 20:26
mmmmmmmm!!! maybe some southern folk could meet up & :ride: to chch & stay with the canty rabble then back the next day :Punk:

Jackal
23rd June 2010, 14:50
mmmmmmmm!!! maybe some southern folk could meet up & :ride: to chch & stay with the canty rabble then back the next day :Punk:

Sounds like a cunning plan..................so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasel!!!!!

miSTa
23rd June 2010, 18:47
Life is hard, suppose I will do it again...this time won't throw a rally in...

Mr Triple
26th June 2010, 17:08
Life is hard, suppose I will do it again...this time won't through a rally in...

Yeah... It could be turned into a great weekend

NighthawkNZ
1st July 2010, 16:43
I guess I should do this as well... :-/

Jantar
1st July 2010, 16:52
Bugger. If you're going to do it then I suppose I have to as well. :yeah:

Ghost_Bullet
3rd July 2010, 17:52
I dont really want to do it at all, but all this peer presure type thing with all you others doing, well.... OK

Mrs Shrek
7th July 2010, 21:45
I dont really want to do it at all, but all this peer presure type thing with all you others doing, well.... OK

Wimp, you could say :no:......

98tls
7th July 2010, 22:04
Ahh,this must be what Shrek was on about,got a message from him rambling on about "if it fits with work,escapade blah blah" had no idea what he was on about and simply put it down to Mrs Shrek being away and he was supping to much.

_Shrek_
8th July 2010, 18:41
Ahh,this must be what Shrek was on about,got a message from him rambling on about "if it fits with work,escapade blah blah" had no idea what he was on about and simply put it down to Mrs Shrek being away and he was supping to much.

sounds like you been :drinkup: that cheap nasty bourbon (diesel or barrel 51) :whistle:

coz I've no idea what msg you talk'n about :confused: sounds like a plan tho :laugh:

1billyboy
8th July 2010, 20:42

As you sent me a peice of paper it would be rude not to fill in the piece of paper and send to you:done:

NighthawkNZ
17th July 2010, 08:24
Off to get the quetions for the Southern Rider Escapade 2010 today and tomorrow...

Going to two long days... but some fun...

you still have a month before the entries close.... (close off dates 21sth August) :yes:

NighthawkNZ
18th July 2010, 18:24
Done and dusted :yes:...

wheres my badge already... :shifty:

There are some nice back roads from Waimate to Geraldine. We are calling the section from Waimate to Geraldine the navigational challenge. We went all the way to Riccarton (stayed at Riccarton Park Holiday Park... recommended)

Then came back today... the last section on SH1 bit of a bummer really but over all it achieves what we wanted it to do.

We can now also safely say as well there is only the one section of gravel... the by pass road on the old coast road into Oamaru is now sealed.

Total: 1060 km (ish) as there was some back tracking etc exploring.
Total gravel: 1km treat as road works... (+ any other road works)
SH1 Total: (about) 120km

Two seperate routes to and from Chrishchurch from Dunedin, with minimal SH1, absolute minimal Gravel. We think it is not bad. We could make the SH1 less by turning and going Macraes and Middlemarch... but adds 200 odd more Kms to take 50km of SH1, we had to compromise...

It can be done in two days comfortably though we were tired at the end of it. Those that take three days will have time to do other stuff as.

NighthawkNZ
7th August 2010, 11:26
Only a couple more weeks for close off (21sth August 2010) If you didn't do it last year ask some one that did and they will tell you what it is all about... :-)

Can easily be done in a weekend, but you do it in your own time and have till the end of November to complete...

at the time of typing this 49 Entrants so far :-)

Ghost_Bullet
7th August 2010, 14:23
Tick tick, and wheres my damn pen.

NighthawkNZ
7th August 2010, 15:22
You can register and pay online :) I try to make things easy for you lot you know :)

Virago
7th August 2010, 15:33
For those who didn't do this last year, this is an absolute blast. Not only do you get to travel on some of the best motorcycling roads available, you also get to experience some great roads you probably don't yet know about.

It is great fun, and you can do it at your own pace and your own time.

Do it - you won't regret it...! :yes:

LittleAngel
9th August 2010, 08:20

:whistle:

When were you thinking???? I'm keen to keep you and your lovely lady company! I'm sure, given enough time we could convince "them" :blip: others too :blink:

Hmmm... better register at some point soon then ???

neels
9th August 2010, 18:39
:When were you thinking???? I'm keen to keep you and your lovely lady company! I'm sure, given enough time we could convince "them" :blip: others too :blink:
Yep, better register first then come up with a cunning plan.

Sounds like some of them from down south were thinking of heading north for a catch up, so might be able to work something out to keep them company in one direction.

NighthawkNZ
17th August 2010, 12:54
Close off is this weekend... ( but most likely will take the odd late coming sheese... ) :innocent:

miSTa
17th August 2010, 19:38
Don't hold your breath my entry, not going to be able to do it this year. Bit of a bugger after the adventure that was last years event.

WuZards-Eugene
18th August 2010, 14:30
I shall be entering tomorrow. Is there an Iron Arse award? My ride is looking a little like the following:

Friday: Picton - Nelson - West coast - Wanaka - Oamaru
Saturday: Oamaru - Christchurch - Dunedin (via Escapade Route) - Gore
Sunday: Rest the arse
Monday: Gore - West Coast - Picton

Anyone want to join? :innocent::shit: Will be going on 1st of October.

NighthawkNZ
20th August 2010, 07:51
Entries Close off date tomorrow 21st August 2010 (but will take a few late entries as long as if we are not talking two weeks in to it...)

Jantar
20th August 2010, 08:58
I shall be entering tomorrow. Is there an Iron Arse award? My ride is looking a little like the following:

Friday: Picton - Nelson - West coast - Wanaka - Oamaru
Saturday: Oamaru - Christchurch - Dunedin (via Escapade Route) - Gore
Sunday: Rest the arse
Monday: Gore - West Coast - Picton

Anyone want to join? :innocent::shit: Will be going on 1st of October.
That is one quick trip.

But when do you do the Dunedin - Oamaru section of the escapade? It isn't the same route as the Oamaru - Dunedin section.

WuZards-Eugene
20th August 2010, 12:12
That is one quick trip.

But when do you do the Dunedin - Oamaru section of the escapade? It isn't the same route as the Oamaru - Dunedin section.

Hmm, I'll have to do some sort of criss cross pattern maybe :yes:

neels
21st August 2010, 16:01
Right, easy part done, entry is in.

Now to sort out a time to go for a ride.....

NighthawkNZ
21st August 2010, 23:24
Right, easy part done, entry is in.

Entry Recieved guess I will see payment monday tesday ;) hope to be send the bulk of the packs out thursday friday

Now to sort out a time to go for a ride.....

sorry I can't help there... ;)

NighthawkNZ
25th August 2010, 19:40
Questions sent out today... if you don't get them in the next few days let me know...

Good luck and I hope you enjoy :-)

Jerms
27th August 2010, 22:16
Is I too late to enter...? pretty please...

NighthawkNZ
10th September 2010, 19:35
Due to the Earthquake and damage of roads and all that... We are extending the finishing date of Escapade 2010 till 18th of December 2010. That is an extra 2 weeks to complete the run and return the questions.

NighthawkNZ
17th October 2010, 17:57
Hope that those that did the Escapade thise weekened enjoyed themself :-)

Transalper
17th October 2010, 21:33
Yep, overall J and I had a good trip down from Christchurch on Saturday apart from a foggy start and stayed in a motel in Dunedin then back up to Christchurch this morning.
The roads straight out of Dunedin this year were nice (and new to us) and counting all the rail crossings soon after.
The stuff leading in to Oamaru from along the coast is always nice too, done that several times now. Think it was the last escapade which showed us them for our first time too.
Cheers.

Jantar
17th October 2010, 22:07
The roads straight out of Dunedin this year were nice (and new to us) and counting all the rail crossings soon after......
Please, please tell me that thye section from Waimate to Geraldine was new as well. :scooter:
I've spent ages trying to find a route from Dunedin to Christchurch that doesn't rely on SH1.

Transalper
18th October 2010, 08:40
Just not new to me or as nice as the coastal bits but then everyone likes different stuff and it was all better than SHW1 :yes:
Tis still not an area I can navigate from memory alone but do recognise a lot of bits of it.
It's stuff I have ridden and driven some of when I'm just riding or camping in the Van rather than simply going from A to B. Good to be off the beaten track.

NighthawkNZ
18th October 2010, 09:44
Please, please tell me that thye section from Waimate to Geraldine was new as well. :scooter:
I've spent ages trying to find a route from Dunedin to Christchurch that doesn't rely on SH1.

It's okay Malcom I am sure 99% of those doing the Escapade this year would have never been there... ;)

Mr Triple
22nd October 2010, 18:12
About to go and pack the bike up for this as we are leaving in the morning.
Should be alot of fun.. :woohoo:

NighthawkNZ
25th November 2010, 06:10
Those that have completed and returned questions will be getting badges soon... We already have quite a few returns and the feedback again has been awesome, and we are already thinking of next year. mmmm catlins...:yes: (maybe)

Rememeber the required due date was extended due to the earth quake in Christchurch we decided to extend the due by date till the 12th December 2010. So you only have a couple of weeks left to get those answers in.

neels
27th November 2010, 21:00
Well it looks like I've run out of weekends to get this done.

So instead I think I'll take thurs and fri off work and go for a ride, a couple of days of just me and the bike could be just what I need at the moment.

Mr Triple
28th November 2010, 16:06

So instead I think I'll take thurs and fri off work and go for a ride, a couple of days of just me and the bike could be just what I need at the moment.

Good on ya... It's a fantastic ride if you like flicking all over the place. It's the sort of ride we like doing and if I had the time I could just about go and do it backwards. :yes:

Retroqueen
29th November 2010, 19:45

I'm in the same boat..... might just have to do exactly the same and take a day or two off.

NighthawkNZ
29th November 2010, 21:59
I'm in the same boat..... might just have to do exactly the same and take a day or two off.

Remember we have extended the end date by two weeks due to teh rocking and rolling in ChCh ;)

Jackal
3rd December 2010, 20:01
Right! Time to get A into G...... Have done bits and pieces but need to do the guts of it. Looks like weather is going to be good tomorrow so I'm leaving Ashvagas about 9am heading to Omarama via Burkes Pass, down the Waitaki to Dunedin, back up to Oamaru, then home by tea time??? Answer sheet in the post on Monday!

Virago
3rd December 2010, 20:07
Right! Time to get A into G...... Have done bits and pieces but need to do the guts of it. Looks like weather is going to be good tomorrow so I'm leaving Ashvagas about 9am heading to Omarama via Burkes Pass, down the Waitaki to Dunedin, back up to Oamaru, then home by tea time??? Answer sheet in the post on Monday!

Have you done any of the stuff south of you - have you done the "Navigational Challenge" bit yet? If not you'll be struggling to do the lot in a day...:yes:

Jackal
3rd December 2010, 20:30
Yep, been there, done that. Went to Oamaru a few weeks ago with the intention of heading south and doing all that bottom end stuff but had to head home again at Moeraki after Mrs Jackal binned her bike. So it is just the MacKenzie, Waitaki Valley, and south of Moeraki stuff I need. It will be a good day in the saddle.

Virago
3rd December 2010, 21:05
In that case, should be a cruisy run. Enjoy it...:)

Retroqueen
5th December 2010, 20:53
Neels and I have it sorted.... I'm off to the KB rally after all this year so we are doing the long haul through the middle on Friday and picking up the other bit on the Sunday ride home.
One nice evening next week will finish the itsie bitsie bits around Christchurch and then in the POST!!!
Yippy ya yip yip...