PDA

View Full Version : Advice on speeding ticket please

chrispy121
20th June 2010, 20:33
so before any says I am after advice not a sermon

Firstly I was going on a link road between two 60km roads in east tamaki Auckland.
I was on my way to get a new tyre fitted as the bike had a non standard 190 55 17 tyre on the back swaping it out for a 190 50 17 which is supposed to on the bike this would make my speedo off about 5% I am told.

My speedo was reading 59 kms and I thought I was on a 60km road but the cop stopped my for 65.

I did explain to the cop about the tyre but he didnt care and wrote me a ticket then he indicated to me that he waould check the speedo for me after he had given me the ticket.

He told me to follow him to the next road and do 59 on my speedo and he will check it was hard to do as traffic did not permit. but I was in shock for the ticket and did not think at the time.
He was asking me to speed on a 50km road after he had just given me a tick for the very same thing.

the ticket also say exceding 50km posted speed limit but there is no signage on the street to say 50kms

do I have a case?'
should the copdirected me to speed to check my speedo?
if Ithis count?
produce proof that my tyre was wrong giving me a false speedo reading would
Thanks for any constructive advice you can give me.

mattian
20th June 2010, 20:35
so before any says I am after advice not a sermon

Firstly I was going on a link road between two 60km roads in east tamaki Auckland.
I was on my way to get a new tyre fitted as the bike had a non standard 190 55 17 tyre on the back swaping it out for a 190 50 17 which is supposed to on the bike this would make my speedo off about 5% I am told.

My speedo was reading 59 kms and I thought I was on a 60km road but the cop stopped my for 65.

I did explain to the cop about the tyre but he didnt care and wrote me a ticket then he indicated to me that he waould check the speedo for me after he had given me the ticket.

He told me to follow him to the next road and do 59 on my speedo and he will check it was hard to do as traffic did not permit. but I was in shock for the ticket and did not think at the time.
He was asking me to speed on a 50km road after he had just given me a tick for the very same thing.

the ticket also say exceding 50km posted speed limit but there is no signage on the street to say 50kms

do I have a case?'
if Ithis count?

Did he stop you after matching your speed? or did he have a radar reading?

FJRider
20th June 2010, 20:50
The speedo works off the front wheel ... doesnt it ... ??? the change in the BACK tyre (if I am correct) will give a higher speed at the same rev's. Basically gearing the bike up. If the speedo is connected to the FRONT wheel ... it will only indicate what speed the front is revolving. No matter what speed the BACK is doing. If your speedo is out ... it ALWAYS was. Back tyre sizes changed nothing in regards to indicated speed ...

=cJ=
20th June 2010, 21:04
The speedo works off the front wheel ... doesnt it ... ??? the change in the BACK tyre (if I am correct) will give a higher speed at the same rev's. Basically gearing the bike up. If the speedo is connected to the FRONT wheel ... it will only indicate what speed the front is revolving. No matter what speed the BACK is doing. If your speedo is out ... it ALWAYS was. Back tyre sizes changed nothing in regards to indicated speed ...

Not all, mine's off the gearbox so I guess it's a model thing...

chrispy121
20th June 2010, 21:07
answers to questions I believe the speedo comes off the gearbox its an 09 cbr1000

the cop was comming toward me so it was radar.

chrispy121
20th June 2010, 21:10
oh forgot to add the cop told me they are using the zero tolerance policy 4kms over the limit and they will ticket.

sinfull
20th June 2010, 21:13
Sucks Bro ! But when did you ever begin to think you had a case ?

FJRider
20th June 2010, 21:28
answers to questions I believe the speedo comes off the gearbox its an 09 cbr1000

So that means the speed limit is achieved at lower revs ... Borrow/buy a hand held GPS unit and check speeds as indicated on your bike. But I think you would need to back off about 500 rpm from indicated 100 km/hr (my calculations only)

Toaster
20th June 2010, 23:13
No case at alll.

They can at their discretion get you to follow their directions in contravention of the rules if it necessitates some direction they need to give you in the circumstances. He asked you to do 59 in a 60 zone technically and was in the least trying to do you a favour that he did need to bother with. Not every street has a speed sign on it. You will likely have been in a 50 area, but you may wish to check the course of your route more widely to find the first sign prior to your being sprung by the police. Eitherway... in a 50, your nicked.... in a 60, they could still say your nicked!

Gremlin
21st June 2010, 00:48
a. as toaster says, confirm the speed zone. Take that as it comes.

b. Install a GPS, its about the only thing that will counter a cop when you are right.

Max Preload
25th June 2010, 14:22
You still exceeded 50km/h. Your speedo inaccuracy is irrelevant - it is what is termed an absolute offence. The best you can hope for is a reduction of the fine to the lower tier based on no signage indicating the speed limit is 50km/h. There are very specific rules regarding regulatory signage positioning which can be found in the Land Transport Rule - Traffic Control Devices 2004 - Rule 54002 (http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/rules/docs/traffic-control-devices-2004.pdf). See Section 4.2.

Renegade
28th June 2010, 19:24
if you did confirm that you were in a 60kph speed zone not the 50kph that the cop ticketed you for then yes you do have a case and the ticket will be cancelled.

Photos of the speed zones as they changed leading into the roads you were riding on will suffice id say

marty
28th June 2010, 20:33
what was the link road?

jamfig
28th June 2010, 21:39
My wife is a laywer re drink driving offences i will ask her about this but i doubt u can get out off it .But she did tell me something about if your pulled up speeding there are several things you can demand to see i will ask her in the morning what they are and post them for everyone to see , these are facts of law that most people dont know about :)

SMOKEU
9th July 2010, 22:23
Once you're stung, you're stung. It's your word against the police officer.

jack_hamma
9th September 2010, 14:53
Judge Judy would know!

avgas
9th September 2010, 15:44
Face it - you were speeding.
Not only were you speeding - but you were going way faster than 55kph.

Say using your theory, due to tyre you were +5kph over speed.
Speedo is roughly over rated by 8kph

8 - 5 = 3.
So regardless you would have had to be doing 68kph on your speedo for him to get you at 65

Own up, pay the bill, and learn the lesson.
Or else sell the bike and whine elsewhere.

Patrick
10th September 2010, 12:11
....if your pulled up speeding there are several things you can demand to see....

This ought to be good... but then again, this was posted a while ago and nothing updated since..... "Demand" to see....

I have had them "demand" to see the certificate of calibration of the device, the certified speedo certificate and my own certificate of being able to use ther device.... ROFL... I carry them all in my pocket, for each and every car in the fleet.....

MOst stations have the certificates back at base. The only things that you might see there at the roadside is the readout and the log book, but even that doesn't have to be shown.

Just trying to double his quota....

Every unsignposted urban street in NZ is 50kmph. Only those that are different, such as 60, 70 80 are signposted.

do I have a case?'

No, sorry....

Can do.

if Ithis count?

Ummm..... What????

Sorry dude.

MarkH
12th September 2010, 14:29

do I have a case?'

you certainly do if what you say is correct. You will need to go for a ride and double check that from where there is a sign giving the speed limit as 60 to where you got pulled over there is NO sign giving the speed limit as 50. If there IS a 50 sign that you missed then you have no case whatsoever!