PDA

View Full Version : I watched my first game of world cup soccer

shrub
23rd June 2010, 15:52
I'm not normally that interested in sports with balls (with the exception of women's beach volleyball and netball), but I decided to see what all the fuss was about and watched the Mexico-Uruguay game, and I just don't get it.

They kicked the ball around a lot, various people fell over a few times, both teams had a few shots at goal and after 42 minutes Uruguay scored a goal. And that was it. No more goals, just lots of kicking a ball around. Some of it was bloody clever and showed a lot of skill, but then so does the guy who juggles at the Arts Centre on a Saturday.

Am I missing something? Why do these guys get paid so much, and what the hell is beautiful about a bunch of blokes kicking a ball around? Surely women's beach volleyball should be the one called "the beautiful game"?

noobi
23rd June 2010, 15:54
So I guess youv never played football then ae

Maha
23rd June 2010, 16:12
The game itself if pretty much crap to watch granted.
I use to play Soccer at Primary School, play saturday mornings, get home, shower and off to watch Kiwi Unted (Palmerston North) soon after, loved it then, couldn't get enough of Soccer. It was called Soccer back then. If you were off to the footy you were off to watch Rugby.
I would now rather chew tin foil than sit and watch all the drama that is Soccer.

My Soccer hero's were...
Kevin Keegan (Liverpool) Steve Highway (Westham) Peter Lorimer (Leeds)

Dave Lobster
23rd June 2010, 16:17
Am I missing something?

Didn't you see the boys hugging and kissing each other??
Isn't that why most blokes watch it?!

onearmedbandit
23rd June 2010, 17:10

I don't know where 'Nanasville' is, but it sure sounds like this are done differently there.

shrub
23rd June 2010, 17:10

I can kind of understand getting incredibly excited about scoring a goal given they happen so rarely, but there's another thing that confuses me - why do soccer players lift their shirts up (or even take them off) when they score a goal?

Corse1
23rd June 2010, 17:15
I can kind of understand getting incredibly excited about scoring a goal given they happen so rarely, but there's another thing that confuses me - why do soccer players lift their shirts up (or even take them off) when they score a goal?

Gonfuses me too......................Gonna try and watch my first game Friday morning.....we'll see!!

Kendog
23rd June 2010, 17:24
watched the Mexico-Uruguay game, and I just don't get it.
Are you from Mexico or Uruguay?

What if any sport do you enjoy watching?

shrub
23rd June 2010, 17:25
I wish the Silver Ferns and beach volleyball players took their shirts off when they scored something. Make them the perfect sports in my mind.

Big Dave
23rd June 2010, 18:03
I used to be a pretty avid Soccer Fan. Still follow the results, but the game lost me (yes, I'm sure it's devastated) with the Ronaldo (C) effect. The professional game has evolved to where drawing a foul by any means - and then baying for the referee to get the card out - has become almost as important a skill as scoring goals.

Beautiful? Not my idea of it. I'd rather watch the local A graders.

A draw has always seemed a glass half empty too.

mashman
23rd June 2010, 21:25
I used to be a pretty avid Soccer Fan. Still follow the results, but the game lost me (yes, I'm sure it's devastated) with the Ronaldo (C) effect. The professional game has evolved to where drawing a foul by any means - and then baying for the referee to get the card out - has become almost as important a skill as scoring goals.

Beautiful? Not my idea of it. I'd rather watch the local A graders.

A draw has always seemed a glass half empty too.

What he said (but i watch it when i can)... although i really didn't and don't enjoy it too much at the moment (dark days at anfield... money of course :))... for some reason they really give a shit about their own hype and have forgotten how to play a hard, fair, game (save a few derby's/cup games/competitive matches (:shifty:) i've seen)... And as pointed out, it's Monkey see Monkey do... bring in video reffin and if necessary allow retrospective fines and penalties, both for the player and for the club for in game infringments.

I also detest ref/linesmen bashing... fuckin hard job gettin it all right in this day and age with all of the dishonesty diving around ya...