PDA

View Full Version : New Shoei X-Spirit Helmet

Big Dave
27th May 2005, 16:15
Seeing there is a fair bit of talk about helmets, like to report that i have a new thing of beauty.

After a 'serve' from Mackay about too much black ink and lack of definition on the pages of Kiwi Rider featuring my occasional appearance - due to the standard all black kit - I've lashed out on a new lid.

Yes, I am jammy bugger, and have to admit, I had the temerity to tell the co-pilot that i was 'quite satisfied with my existing XR900, but would get a new hat for the integrity of the publication' as i simultaniously played the 'media' card and hounded Shoei Importer and Distributors Whites Powersports into a 'Kiwi Rider' deal on a new, (deep breath)....Limited Edition Shoei X-Spirit Kagayama replica TC5.

Fark it's nice!. (ahh i love the intarnet), Firstly, i am talking about a Helmet that retails for $1,150 (more than I have paid for some motorcycles) so you'd expect it to be. I honestly didn't expect it to be as good.

It's so light! Everyone sort of juggles it a few times in their fingertips when they first pick it up (can't tell you how much i love watching that!)
I think I have heavier beanies. (like I'm one of those 'badge' guys)

The aerodynamics are equally incredible. It has a sort of inverted duck tail type spoiler on the back that the fonz would be proud of - but it is remarkably stable. Shoei did mega wind tunnel testing with the shape. they also reckon that the spoiler reduces wind noise by 'reshaping the turbulence aft'. I'll buy it.

I have a cut down screen on the Battlestar, but it's large expanse of bodywork still creates an upward air flow that generally hits my chest, but the patch of turbulence before clean air can also hit my noggin if the prevailing wind is right. Even with the good aerodynamics of the XR900 I just upgraded from, I'd still get that 'bobblehead' thing happening - at pace in the right conditions.
You know, like when you pull in behind a big truck at highway speeds.
Haven't seen any of that from the X-Spirt. remarkably stable.

Wind noise is comparable to the XR900, slightly quieter perhaps, but I was well satisfied with the XR900's performance.
I always wear plugs or an ipod on the trophy anyway - that upward air flow thing makes it a very 'wind noisy' bike.
On the naked thunderbird and in clean air - wind noise is minimal.

Graphics are subtle (in comparison to some models) and even has a bit of a Koru shape meets yin and yang thing happening. The TC5 is in greys and white so it will suit just about any of the bikes I'm fortunate enough to be photographed on.

I had to change the cheek pads - the thickness of the front quarters' padding is adjustable, they clip out so chunky cheeks like mine can be accommodated and all the liners pull out for washing.

Visor changes involve 4 easy to see clicks and job is done from clear to tinted in seconds. The mechanism has a stopper on a lever that can keep it open a mm or 2 that helps de-misting. I went for the black and the 'Imperial Storm trooper' look. It's highly noticeable.

Fastener and strap are twin d ring and 'easy as'. Found it very comfortable from the moment i fitted the thinner cheek pads. The bit that sits in front of your mouth is sort of sculpted to deflect breath downwards and just feels 'right'. An optional nose guard is included (but it sticks into the end of my hooter) as is a removable chin curtain that further reduces noise and drafts.

'the vents are so good - you can feel your hair flap' I quoted Motomail's Chris Hyland as saying, (I consulted him before choosing, errr...begging) but unfortunately the 2 blokes i said it to were as bald as badgers, oops - anyway, there are no fewer than 5 vent levers around the lid and they also astound me with how much air they can let in. I've been doing impersonations of a bloke with fleas as i scratch around, locating the levers to open and shut the various apertures. Remarkable - can't wait for summer and needing them.

I've put my customary 'Big Daddy Roth' Rat Fink logo over the standard graphic on the back and it's been a long time since my excuse for going for a ride was 'I've got a new helmet', but.......see ya.

I hope 'limited edition' means there aren't too many of them around - cause KB'sers can spot me by this now.
http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/helmet.jpg
I'd hate you to be all giving the :motu: to someone innocent.

If you are in the market for one of the best helmets your money can buy - go and take a Shoei X-Sprit for a test ride - it's a real piece of work.

Sensei
27th May 2005, 16:22
Wheres the colour Dave ???????????????? :whistle:

vifferman
27th May 2005, 16:33
The aerodynamics are equally incredible. It has a sort of inverted duck tail type spoiler on the back that the fonz would be proud of - but it is remarkably stable. Shoei did mega wind tunnel testing with the shape. they also reckon that the spoiler reduces wind noise by 'reshaping the turbulence aft'. I'll buy it.

I have a cut down screen on the Battlestar, but it's large expanse of bodywork still creates an upward air flow that generally hits my chest, but the patch of turbulence before clean air can also hit my noggin if the prevailing wind is right. Even with the good aerodynamics of the XR900 I just upgraded from, I'd still get that 'bobblehead' thing happening - at pace in the right conditions.
You know, like when you pull in behind a big truck at highway speeds.
Haven't seen any of that from the X-Spirt. remarkably stable.

It's funny how subtle changes in the aerodynamics can effect quite significant improvements to things like "bobbleheading". I fixed a lot of that on my VF500 by the simple expedient of removing the black trim from the edge of the windscreen. Upgrading helmets did the same thing when I had the VTR, but while the helmets have some obvious differences to vents, etc., they're not major things like a "sort of inverted duck tail type spoiler on the back". Yet my current AGV is much better than the previous one, just as that was an improvement on the one before it.

I guess when you've got 150+ km/h air moving past your helmet (I'm including ambient wind speed here) then even little things like visor fitment, how the base of the helmet is finished (the X-Vent is quite closed in), and the shape of vents can have a large cumulative effect. Or summat...

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoy your new helmet enough to share this with us, Dave. :niceone:

I'm looking forwward to replacing mine one day, but this time without landing on my head first... :confused:

Big Dave
27th May 2005, 16:46

Vastly different in glorious RGB.
http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/helmet2.jpg

So I forgot to white balance....ahhh

Big Dave
27th May 2005, 17:02
It's funny how subtle changes in the aerodynamics can effect quite significant improvements to things like "bobbleheading". :

I couldn't ride the bike for the buffeting with the standard screen on. It had more 'sail' area than papatoetoe mall.

pretty good with the shorty on.

Big Dave
28th May 2005, 04:15

you did mean in the photograph?

limmy
14th June 2005, 10:31
I hope 'limited edition' means there aren't too many of them around - cause KB'sers can spot me by this now.
http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/helmet.jpg
I'd hate you to be all giving the :motu: to someone innocent.

Hehe...hate the burst your bubble but I got one early April. Mine's blue though. I agree its a really good helmet. If you're wondering will it actually protect your head in an emergency?...well...need not worry. I've tested it and it works great. Your grey matter is well insured.

Oscar
14th June 2005, 11:19
I just got me one of these:

http://www.insidebikes.com/bikebuys/showcase/product/uploaded_pics/AraiTourGrey05.jpg

This is the first Arai I've had (got two Shoeis), shit it is goooood...

Hitcher
14th June 2005, 13:12
The good news is that, like all Shoeis, it comes in a XXL.

The bad news is that the XXL only comes in black or white. So much for my dream of owning a stylie graphic helmet...