PDA

View Full Version : GPS help...again

Padmei
26th June 2010, 17:33
Garmin 60csx.

In mapsource I have downloaded all the tracks I've recorded from several trips into Hira forest & edited them so only the good bits I want are saved. They form quite a good comprehensive map of the forestry roads & tracks. When I saved them back to the GPS only the good bits are shown on the map however they are still saved as the 6 or 7 seperate tracks as I recorded them.
Can some one tell me the easiest way to save them or condense them somehow into one map/track?
I'm not sure on converting to different types of files so a 'GPS for dummies' approach would be appreciated.

Also last weekend I saved another part of a track however didn't showon the map - only the waypoints I marked. - any ideas?

cold comfort
26th June 2010, 18:06
Sorry can't offer any help there only my sympathy. As an owner of a 60sx I remain continually perplexed! Mine lost the return journey on the DBK for no apparent reason. The supplier of the unit was NO help at all. It would be great to have the best routes saved as you are doing.

Gremlin
26th June 2010, 18:31
if you have all the routes in mapsource, you can click multiple tracks, right click then combine them together. Once done, you can send it back to the GPS as a route, track etc

cooneyr
26th June 2010, 19:45
If Gremlin's suggestion doesn't quite work (may not join then in logical order) use the "track join tool" which is a button on the tool bar with an s shapped line with a + symbol, click the end of the first track then click the start of the second track. You may need to hit escape first as when you click on the tool button it automagically links to a track end and it may not be the correct one.

Padmei
26th June 2010, 20:45
If Gremlin's suggestion doesn't quite work (may not join then in logical order) use the "track join tool" which is a button on the tool bar with an s shapped line with a + symbol, click the end of the first track then click the start of the second track. You may need to hit escape first as when you click on the tool button it automagically links to a track end and it may not be the correct one.

I'll try that but a lotof tracks overlap & go off different ways. I'll give it a try.

Can't find the multiple tracks thing on my map. Is this only in routes?

NordieBoy
26th June 2010, 20:46
We could have a play with it after tomorrow's ride.

Padmei
26th June 2010, 21:29
We could have a play with it after tomorrow's ride.

Or while Jatz fixes the CT:whistle:

Gremlin
27th June 2010, 19:12
I'll try that but a lotof tracks overlap & go off different ways. I'll give it a try.

Can't find the multiple tracks thing on my map. Is this only in routes?
Once you transfer the data (you'll be prompted for what you want to receive - maps, waypoints, tracks, routes) to your computer, you should have the tracks on a tab in mapsource, and you can manipulate from there.

You can also bring up the properties of a track and delete points from the track, but it will join the track around the deleted point in a straight line.

Bear in mind, a GPS only keeps a certain amount of data in the "live" GPX file, ie, what you can receive in Mapsource. If you need older stuff, you'll need to search the GPS for an archive of GPX files, and open them with Mapsource.