PDA

View Full Version : Calling computer experts.

Elysium
27th June 2010, 05:35
Noticing lately that Windows Live Mail is downloading a shit of emails from the Hotmail Postmaster saying these emails ccouldn't be sent. Now I didn't send these in the first place and the address's they're being sent to are random.

Now I suspect that my computer might be hacked or some bloody virus but at the moment my Virus program doesn't pick up anything. I use NOD32

Anyone know a way to fix this?

Gubb
27th June 2010, 07:58
It's Spam. Ignore it.

Lurch
27th June 2010, 08:23
Define shit loads? Also are these unable to be sent emails claiming to come from your own email address?

mashman
27th June 2010, 09:12
Noticing lately that Windows Live Mail is downloading a shit of emails from the Hotmail Postmaster saying these emails ccouldn't be sent. Now I didn't send these in the first place and the address's they're being sent to are random.

Now I suspect that my computer might be hacked or some bloody virus but at the moment my Virus program doesn't pick up anything. I use NOD32

Anyone know a way to fix this?

I had the same thing during the week. Received some postmaster failures and several emails from concerned friends... Running MSE and it didn't pick up a thing. Changed my email password instead... about all i could do really.

Latte
27th June 2010, 09:59
This sounds like someone is sending spam using your email address to "legitimise"<SP> it. But since they are hitting a lot of fake addresses the mail servers are responding saying "no such address" or similar. And since they are using your email address, it all gets returned to your inbox.

SO you don't have a virus, just somone has gotten your email address somewhere (maybe off a forum like here, or you've signed up to some site that's not 100% above board).

Pretty much nothing you can do about it now.

CookMySock
27th June 2010, 10:17
Someone who has you in their addressbook has a virus. Any service or product with the words "msn" or "windows" in it is heavily targetted by virus writers.

Steve

Gremlin
27th June 2010, 19:18
If the email appears to have come from you, the most likely scenario is that someone is using your email address to send emails (and this can be done without logging into your emails as you).

As said, pretty much nothing can be done, unless you change your email address.

Insanity_rules
27th June 2010, 20:39
Someone has cloned your email address to send out spam. When their message is hitting a non existant email address, the legitimate email account holder (you) is getting the bounce message. To be sure that your email account hasn't been hacked then check your sent box for stuff that you didn't send. I'm 99% sure that they haven't hacked your email though.

Theres shit you can do about it. If you do have email you don't recognise in your sent box then simply change your password. I own an IT company, I've seen this from time to time.

davereid
28th June 2010, 07:51
The spammers know the hardest bit is to get YOU to open spam. So they send you a "bounce" message. And you open it to see what bounced. Plus, you spam filter will not usually be set up to send bounce messages to the spam folder. Job Done for the spammer.

jonbuoy
28th June 2010, 08:31
What type of email address do you have - hotmail, gmail, yahoo, XTRA? Have you logged onto a free or cafe wireless recently? Change your password to be safe.

mashman
28th June 2010, 09:14
Someone has cloned your email address to send out spam. When their message is hitting a non existant email address, the legitimate email account holder (you) is getting the bounce message. To be sure that your email account hasn't been hacked then check your sent box for stuff that you didn't send. I'm 99% sure that they haven't hacked your email though.

Theres shit you can do about it. If you do have email you don't recognise in your sent box then simply change your password. I own an IT company, I've seen this from time to time.

What do you mean, cloned? I can send mail from JK if I really wanted to (spoofing), it just won't come from his account and like you say he'll get failed messages returned to his email... I was more concerned that my account had been hacked, because the emails were sent to friends, family and businesses... for me it's odd because I don't maintain a contacts list, which means that my account has, at least, been scraped for email addresses... even more of a concern would be that someone hacked my email account and downloaded the contents of one or more folders... the downside is I'll never know what's been taken and will just have to wait til some fuckwit tries it again or clears my bank account out...

CookMySock
28th June 2010, 09:58
[..] it's odd because I don't maintain a contacts list, which means that my account has, at least, been scraped for email addresses...Either that, or someone else close to you with a similar set of contacts does maintain a contact list, and they got raided.

even more of a concern would be that someone hacked my email account and downloaded the contents of one or more folders... the downside is I'll never know what's been taken and will just have to wait til some fuckwit tries it again or clears my bank account out...Yup.

Almost all mainstream products are vulnerable. Basically it's just a matter of time until you get done, unless you can maintain a 99% up-to-date status with the latest cutting-edge tools, and that aint gunna be cheap.

Alternatively, stop using mainstream products.

Steve

Tank
28th June 2010, 10:03
Almost all mainstream products are vulnerable. Basically it's just a matter of time until you get done, unless you can maintain a 99% up-to-date status with the latest cutting-edge tools, and that aint gunna be cheap.

Thank fuck you dont work in IT. Millions and Millions of other (normal) people manage to keep their machines up-to-date and never have an issue. You dont need cutting edge tools, and it dosnt need to be expensive.

I know you are a one trick Linux pony - but at least TRY a little to be accurate huh.

CookMySock
28th June 2010, 10:11
Thank fuck you dont work in IT. Millions and Millions of other (normal) people manage to keep their machines up-to-date and never have an issue. You dont need cutting edge tools, and it dosnt need to be expensive.

I know you are a one trick Linux pony - but at least TRY a little to be accurate huh.More rudeness and intentionally derogatory remarks from you. Thank fuck you don't breed more regularly - hateful, pointed, and targetting remarks, designed to be putdowns such as yours would just be the business to bring up little assholes who would penalise the rest of society for ever. Keep up the good work.

Funny how you are nice as pie when you have had a shit day, and times other than that you are a complete mongrel. :weird:

Steve

Tank
28th June 2010, 10:23
More rudeness and intentionally derogatory remarks from you. Thank fuck you don't breed more regularly - hateful, pointed, and targetting remarks, designed to be putdowns such as yours would just be the business to bring up little assholes who would penalise the rest of society for ever. Keep up the good work.

Funny how you are nice as pie when you have had a shit day, and times other than that you are a complete mongrel. :weird:

Steve

Having a bad day sweetie??

Tank
28th June 2010, 10:26
More rudeness and intentionally derogatory remarks from you. Thank fuck you don't breed more regularly - hateful, pointed, and targetting remarks, designed to be putdowns such as yours would just be the business to bring up little assholes who would penalise the rest of society for ever. Keep up the good work.

Steve

BTW - Didit you make a big waaaaing post about abuse - (receiving of course). Just for the hell of it - I hit report post on your one (why not - if I ever write a rude post - Im sure you would report me).

BUT 3 kids is enough - and yep Im sure that they would all correct your IT post as well - being that they are all more informed in IT than it would appear you are.

Insanity_rules
28th June 2010, 11:30
What do you mean, cloned? I can send mail from JK if I really wanted to (spoofing), it just won't come from his account and like you say he'll get failed messages returned to his email... I was more concerned that my account had been hacked, because the emails were sent to friends, family and businesses... for me it's odd because I don't maintain a contacts list, which means that my account has, at least, been scraped for email addresses... even more of a concern would be that someone hacked my email account and downloaded the contents of one or more folders... the downside is I'll never know what's been taken and will just have to wait til some fuckwit tries it again or clears my bank account out...

Spoofing you set your reply to address to what ever you want and the account from address to the same (You obivously understand this) but when the header is read you see that the originating server could be any old one. Cloning is when a spammer has many of the settings for the send out server (so it looks like msn in the header) and an appropriate address (an msn one) so that spam email looks a lot like legitimate email (correct address, correct source) and they don't need your log in details to do this. However they couldn't download or intercept your incoming email or read what you've sent without your password so your safe in that respect (unless they have it).

Its not that easy to hack passwords these days (unless you have a pretty nasty signature type trojan) as most email providers use ssl password translation and such so its pretty unlikely that they'd have it.

mashman
28th June 2010, 12:03
etc...

Thanks for the explanation... This is the first time in 12 years that i've had ANYTHING (not even a virus) happen to my pc or email account... funny how this has all of a sudden happened, having only recently been forced on to using a Vodafone Data Stick to stay online (ok not forced)... Can't wait to get my hardwired broadband back (tonight if Telecom are as good as their word :shifty:) ... But just in case it was the password I went on a password changing spree...

avgas
28th June 2010, 12:57
Alternatively, stop using mainstream products.
Haha I love you using the term mainstream.
Doesn't count for anything after the 1980's.........
What is mainstream hacking? - someone who uses "/shutdown" or someone who uses "~kill all"..........
as for staying up-to-date.....i find www.download.com is a pretty good resource for windows users
or the newspaper for the rest of us.

Elysium
28th June 2010, 15:09
Ok I use Hotmail of course so I'm not really surprised to get hacked, virus, whatever. Luckly I have another email account with Slingshot so I at least have another and more secure email account. Ok I may be lame here but where in Windows Live Mail do go to change the password?

mashman
28th June 2010, 15:15
Ok I use Hotmail of course so I'm not really surprised to get hacked, virus, whatever. Luckly I have another email account with Slingshot so I at least have another and more secure email account. Ok I may be lame here but where in Windows Live Mail do go to change the password?

I did this the other morning but can't remember ha ha haaaaaaa... think i did it through my email account i.e. www.hotmail.com etc... change password

jonbuoy
28th June 2010, 19:14
Spoofing you set your reply to address to what ever you want and the account from address to the same (You obivously understand this) but when the header is read you see that the originating server could be any old one. Cloning is when a spammer has many of the settings for the send out server (so it looks like msn in the header) and an appropriate address (an msn one) so that spam email looks a lot like legitimate email (correct address, correct source) and they don't need your log in details to do this. However they couldn't download or intercept your incoming email or read what you've sent without your password so your safe in that respect (unless they have it).

Its not that easy to hack passwords these days (unless you have a pretty nasty signature type trojan) as most email providers use ssl password translation and such so its pretty unlikely that they'd have it.

If your on unsecured wifi password hacking isnīt so hard - by default Gmail used to be plain old HTTP for logins which meant passwords were sent in clear unless you enabled HTTPS mode in your settings, promiscuous packet sniffing would grab it. Not to mention faked login webmail pages.

Insanity_rules
28th June 2010, 19:43
If your on unsecured wifi password hacking isnīt so hard - by default Gmail used to be plain old HTTP for logins which meant passwords were sent in clear unless you enabled HTTPS mode in your settings, promiscuous packet sniffing would grab it. Not to mention faked login webmail pages.

True and there is a very real risk with both those senarios. I've seen some stupidity around securing wifi in my time and with people clicking links in emails truely believing that gmail meeded them to reset their password.

jonbuoy
28th June 2010, 20:05
True and there is a very real risk with both those senarios. I've seen some stupidity around securing wifi in my time and with people clicking links in emails truely believing that gmail meeded them to reset their password.

Yup for some reason it doesnīt seem to be common knowledge just how risky shared wifi can be.

The Stranger
28th June 2010, 21:44

Steve

You told me you had Tank on your ignore list when you asked me to remove my sig.
Make your mind up woman.

Tank
28th June 2010, 22:49
You told me you had Tank on your ignore list when you asked me to remove my sig.
Make your mind up woman.

Nope - cannot be on his ignore list - he red reps me too much.

BTW - Glad that you like the sig - I think it some of my better work - I wonder how many other people DB has asked to remove sigs????

The Stranger
29th June 2010, 14:29
Nope - cannot be on his ignore list - he red reps me too much.

BTW - Glad that you like the sig - I think it some of my better work - I wonder how many other people DB has asked to remove sigs????

Yes, definitely good work there sir. Clear, concise and of course entirely accurate.

I was considering doing a trade. I remove my sig if he releases the poor dumb arses who actually agreed with him once from the eternal embarrassment of his sig. But no, let that serve as a warning to others - don't agree with anything DB says lest ye be forever added to the list of fools.