PDA

View Full Version : how tight should leathers be?

soundbeltfarm
27th May 2005, 18:35
got a 2 piece off wildcat and they are tight but not uncomfortable a friend of mine is in the saddlery trade and im thinking of getting the waist zip lenthened a bit as i have a long torso.
but just wanting to know how tight the suit should be and if it will stretch at all?

John
27th May 2005, 18:39
got a 2 piece off wildcat and they are tight but not uncomfortable a friend of mine is in the saddlery trade and im thinking of getting the waist zip lenthened a bit as i have a long torso.
but just wanting to know how tight the suit should be and if it will stretch at all?
In theory as tight as your comfortable with - less movement is a good thing in a crash means less broken stuff (most of the time, and less loss of limbs!) - seen a high speed motogp crash? other than being amazingly scary to watch you will notice their 'skin tight' (kinky but ok!) leathers hold them in shape - but you have to be comfortable at the same time so I recon as tight as you are comfortable with - if you think its bit big, get it modified!

Goodluck!

pyrocam
27th May 2005, 18:39
I dont think leather will stretch too much,
Ive got a leather racing suit that I need to drop 10kgs to put on. I CAN put it on now but I get a camel toe. and like. im a guy. pretty bad.

Im not an expert. but it should be as tight as comfortabley possible.

no camel toe and no flabby bits

Two Smoker
27th May 2005, 18:41
tight is good.... this means that you slide... loose leathers grip and make you spin (breaking limbs etc...)

thehollowmen
27th May 2005, 18:59
Tightish, but if you're worried get some saddle-soap or wax product and give them a once-over on the outside every month.

I did that and then put my pants in for cleaning and wow I couldn't believe how much they'd stretched. I had to re-stretch them back.

gav
27th May 2005, 22:27
Make sure you sit on your bike in a "racer" crouch and check fit then, usually they are a bit baggy when just standing around but check once on the bike and if hanging off etc.

Biff
27th May 2005, 23:36
Yup - tightish, and it does give.
Is it new?
If not - get it altered, if it is, wear it when you're next out shopping to break it in. But avoid toy shops as the kids will think you're a Power Ranger.

justsomeguy
27th May 2005, 23:40
Went to WC's house to pick up mine and found that I'm a XL instead of a M.

So if anyone is interested there's a brand new 1 piece with sliders/full armour for sale - full black.

PM wildcat if you're interested.

FROSTY
7th June 2005, 23:04
There are people making a lot of money answering this question.
The idea is to have the suit as tight as possible without restricting movement in any way. simple aye??
A good suit will feel a tadd uncomfortable when you're standing upright and will have Very little in the way of velcro stretch panels.
If youre getting a suit taken in try to remove as much of that lycra stuff as possible. In my opinion that stuff is bloody dangerous and the less of it you have the better.

ajturbo
8th June 2005, 03:22
Went to WC's house to pick up mine and found that I'm a XL instead of a M.

So if anyone is interested there's a brand new 1 piece with sliders/full armour for sale - full black.

PM wildcat if you're interested.

fat bugger:whistle:

TonyB
8th June 2005, 08:46
I dont think leather will stretch too much,

It must stretch a bit. When I first got mine I could only just get my feet on the pegs, after half an hour it had loosened quite a bit and I could easily get the balls of my feet on the pegs.
If you wear thick socks in your shoes they are tight for a while then they give, when you go back to thin socks the shoes feel loose for a bit then they seem to shrink back to how they were.

Lou Girardin
8th June 2005, 11:07
Leather can stretch a lot, initial fit should be snug to tight. But not tight enough to raise your voice more than an octave.

sunhuntin
10th June 2005, 22:11
ive found that leather needs to be fairly baggy [the jacket at least] i have one skin tight jacket, and one really baggy one. the baggy one is warmer than the tight one, so im guessing pants would be the same, perhaps.

:unsure:

FROSTY
10th June 2005, 22:38
sorry sun--but nope -Then again I guess being warm is one level of protection we so often forget.
Loose leathers may still protect you as long as they dont ride up exposing bare skin.

sunhuntin
11th June 2005, 16:47
that was mainly my observation as a passenger...the tight jacket rides up more than the baggy one, and i always ride with at least 2 layers underneath tucked into my jeans. im not sure on how safe baggy leather pants are, but likely safer than jeans, lol.

i considered wearing the tight one the other day when i took the bike out, but the baggy one has move room to move as needed...the tight one is more for show...

i take it you guys are talking about the one-piece suits?