My mission: To transform the WR into an Adventure Touring Weapon

with the very able assistance of Clint, of course :innocent:

First up were all the bolt-on accessories:
Symtech grip heaters
Renthal dual compound grips
Zeta hand guards
14 litre safari tank
And Clint removed the pillion pegs, and the pillion grab strap

I tried to install the tank all by myself, but the instructions were hard to follow :shutup:

The seat-ectomy is ongoing, to make it a bit easier for me to reach the ground, and to give some long distance touring comfort. Making it shorter is the easy part. I'm going to continue shopping around for different densities of foam to make it better for touring.
I used an electric breadknife for the bulk of the seat work, then tidied the surfaces up with a rasp and a belt sander.
The seat currently has an old seat cover taped onto it, so I can test out the seat design without having to attach and remove the proper seat cover each time.

I made a prototype windscreen out of for-sale sign, tested it out and hacked at it with tin snips until I came up with a design I liked. I'll get the plastics fabricator at work to bend me up a polycarbonate screen in the near future.

I drew up some retro yamaha racing stripes on the computer, and sellotaped them to the safari tank, so I can finalise the design and get them made up (final decals will be black and pink :blink:).

Clint has started to make mounting brackets for the luggage racks and carrier, and I am attempting to help by making cardboard prototypes of the bits he needs to make up. Making motorbike parts out of cardboard is harder than it sounds :mellow:

I'm not very good at remembering to take photos while we are working on it, but here are some photos of the windscreen, custom seat, and retro racing decals :laugh:

Stay tuned for more...

Taz
30th June 2010, 15:42
Looking good Rosie. How far do you reckon the safari tank will get you? Did you get it direct from RVAqualine in Aus?

pete376403
30th June 2010, 16:15
Keep the removed bits - not too long ago the local bike shop failed my bike WOF for no pillion footrests. Christ knows how many things the local vehicle testing would manage to find. (not necessarily faulty but failing to comply with regulations)

Rosie
30th June 2010, 16:18
Looking good Rosie. How far do you reckon the safari tank will get you? Did you get it direct from RVAqualine in Aus?

Yes I did get it from RVAqualine. Looks like you can also get them from Yamaha NZ, which may be a touch cheaper, but I didn't realise until after I'd got mine.

No idea how far it will go with the new tank, maybe 350k's. I haven't been riding it a lot, so I don't have a good idea of fuel efficiency yet. The fuel light came on at 140k's, so I guess I'll have to get used to having the fuel light on most of the time <_<

Rosie
30th June 2010, 16:21
Keep the removed bits - not too long ago the local bike shop failed my bike WOF for no pillion footrests. Christ knows how many things the local vehicle testing would manage to find. (not necessarily faulty but failing to comply with regulations)

As I understand it, the WOF-thingee states that if pillion footrests are fitted, then they have to be secure. It doesn't actually say that you need them. The sherpa never had any trouble at the local vehicle testing station for not having the pillion pegs. But it wasn't unusual for them to not have anyone who could ride a motorbike, so I'd end up doing most of the WOF myself :)

junkmanjoe
30th June 2010, 17:08
Hi Rosie,

your new bikes coming together nicely, can agree with you on the cardboard designing, but easy to fix if a mistake is made,,

look forward to the finished project.

JMJ

tri boy
30th June 2010, 17:45
Please let us know about what foam density/supplier/brand that you use.
Kanny's KLE500 seat is about to undergo similar surgery, and since I'm a lazy buggar, and you and Clint are switched on, I'll sit back and let the info come to me:sunny:

(Just gotta pinch my sisters lecy bread knife now.:shifty:

Motu
30th June 2010, 17:47
Love the retro Yamaha graphics.Are you just working on the seat for height,or are you going to lower the suspn too? I'm not familiar with the WR suspn,but if you have dog bone links,it easy to get a set made up.I had some lower links for my DT,I could change them in 5 mins on the side stand.I liked it lower around town,stock height was ok off road.

Pillion pegs are required if there is a pillion seat - get that breadknife out again and make it a solo.

cooneyr
30th June 2010, 18:00
Looking awesome Rosie and Clint. Keep up the good work.:Punk:

I know what Motu said about the pillion footpegs is true but it is a bloody silly rule cause there would not be space for a pillion if I was riding the bike.

Cheers R

dino3310
30th June 2010, 19:16
looking fükengrüverin Rosie :Punk:

pete376403
30th June 2010, 20:22
Looking awesome Rosie and Clint. I know what Motu said about the pillion footpegs is true but it is a bloody silly rule ...Cheers R

In the main, what other sort of rules are there? Common sense should take care of most things for people of average or better intelligence.

.chris
30th June 2010, 20:24
needs more Dakar style!

How do you find the extra power over the Sherpa?

clint640
1st July 2010, 09:17
Love the retro Yamaha graphics.Are you just working on the seat for height,or are you going to lower the suspn too? I'm not familiar with the WR suspn,but if you have dog bone links,it easy to get a set made up.I had some lower links for my DT,I could change them in 5 mins on the side stand.I liked it lower around town,stock height was ok off road.

Pillion pegs are required if there is a pillion seat - get that breadknife out again and make it a solo.

The WR has an externally adjustable rear shock that we have wound down, & we dropped the forks down through the clamps a bit too. We're going to have a play on some gnarly tracks this weekend & see if any further lowering is required but it doesn't seem too bad at present.

So how do you get on for a WOF with a road legal enduro bike, of which there are quite a few varieties, that have the same seat dimensions as the WR-R but no provision for pillion pegs? I've never had pillion pegs on the 640 & I've never been failed.

needs more Dakar style!

Jaysus! that thing must have about a 1000km range!

Cheers
Clint

Taz
1st July 2010, 09:33
Never had a problem getting a wof on the 525 at VTNZ pukekohe but then they have guys there that know their bikes and use common sense.

Bass
1st July 2010, 13:22
I look forward to catching up with you two once you have the new toy sorted out. I am betting that it is going to be quite a weapon in the twistie stuff and that you will take some catching once you are used to it.

Taz
1st July 2010, 13:31
I look forward to catching up with you two once you have the new toy sorted out. I am betting that it is going to be quite a weapon in the twistie stuff and that you will take some catching once you are used to it.

She's got me worried about whether I'll keep up on the MMMMMMMMMMMM ride. :o

NordieBoy
1st July 2010, 15:07
They're not pillion peg mounts. They're side case rack mounts.

Rosie
1st July 2010, 17:16
Please let us know about what foam density/supplier/brand that you use.
Kanny's KLE500 seat is about to undergo similar surgery, and since I'm a lazy buggar, and you and Clint are switched on, I'll sit back and let the info come to me:sunny:

(Just gotta pinch my sisters lecy bread knife now.:shifty:
Para rubber is usually a good source of foam of various different densities. Para in Rotorua has just closed down :( so I'm going to have to scrounge some foam from an upholsterer to finish the job

Motu
1st July 2010, 17:43
I've never had pillion pegs on the 640 & I've never been failed.

Come and see me - I'll sort you out with a fail no worries.

dino3310
1st July 2010, 19:55
They're not pillion peg mounts. They're side case rack mounts.

or rod holders

Rosie
5th August 2010, 10:40
The luggage racks are just about complete :D Build report here (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13654210#post13654210)

The MMMMM was the first decent length ride I've done on the WR, so was a good chance to test out things I've changed so far, and decide what else needs doing.

The racks are just about spot on, so I won't need to do too much more to get them finished.

It gets a bit breezy on longer highway stretches, and I had a bit of a sore neck/shoulders on Monday, so I think I'll need to get a screen made up for it.

The seat was bearable for two days of riding, but will need a bit more padding to make it comfortable for multi-day trips. I'll need to get a new cover made up for it if I do this. Clint suggested getting purple panels on the seat, to match the trim on my body armour, and making the retro racing stripes the same colour. The idea is growing on me :shifty:

Attached is an artists impression of what it might look like

ADVGD
5th August 2010, 11:46
The seat was bearable for two days of riding, but will need a bit more padding to make it comfortable for multi-day trips. I'll need to get a new cover made up for it if I do this.

I haven’t used this myself but did hours of research with this being a promising option (NZ supplier). F1 fighter jets use it in their seats to handle extreme g-force, it has great shock absorbing properties plus it does not compress like foam. Expensive, but I am sure your butt will love you for it

Supracore link 1 (http://www.c1south.co.nz/page.php?34)

Supracore link 2 (http://www.c1south.co.nz/page.php?20)

An Airhawk was my final choice to the sore butt problem. Before this, my butt used to burn by the time I hit Springfield (from Chch), but with the Airhawk I can go all the way to the Coast no probs comfy as. It completely removes this problem and makes riding long distances so much more enjoyable

I'm using the small pillion and I got it from DME Direct (http://dmedirect.co.nz/dme/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=68&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56), good service, friendly crew, got it in the post 2 days after ordering

dino3310
5th August 2010, 12:33
This might do the trick, and its pretty cheap http://www.bits4bikes.co.nz/accessories/parts_~_accessories_-_miscellaneous/1194.aspx

Night Falcon
5th August 2010, 14:59
Hi there Rosi,

Bin reading your thread; an exciting project you got going there. From one adventurizer to another I can relate to the enjoyment of "stylin" your bike the way you want it.....its amolst more fun building them than riding them!....err no its not riding is always better:scooter:

MXNUT
5th August 2010, 18:11
Attached is an artists impression of what it might look like

Yamaha will refuse to sell you spare parts if you go with pink decals
Dont do it !!!!

Taz
5th August 2010, 18:23
Yamaha loved pink in the 90's

zeRax
5th August 2010, 18:25
hey

how do you find the wr250r with a head on wind, and how do you find power in general ??

cool bikes from reading about em, love to test one oot

Shewolf
5th August 2010, 22:54
Liking the purple! Have to get new matching jacket n pants too :innocent:

Rosie
6th August 2010, 08:25
hey

how do you find the wr250r with a head on wind, and how do you find power in general ??

cool bikes from reading about em, love to test one oot

I haven't had it out in a noticeable headwind yet. In general I'm really pleased with the power, it will get up to 110-ish easily, and can accelerate fairly quickly when you go to pass things, which makes a nice change from the Sherpa.

Liking the purple! Have to get new matching jacket n pants too :innocent:

I already have a matching motorcross jersey :D I'm not so sure about purple trousers though :mellow:

NordieBoy
6th August 2010, 09:52
I already have a matching motorcross jersey :D I'm not so sure about purple trousers though :mellow:

Wulf Sport will have some purple goodness.

XF650
6th August 2010, 15:35
Hows the seat height working out Rosie?
edit: there has got to be a better way to ask that question

Rosie
6th August 2010, 16:36
Hows the seat height working out Rosie?
edit: there has got to be a better way to ask that question

Not too bad, although we are going to have to shorten the side stand a little - the bike is sitting a bit too upright, and on uneven ground it can take a while to position the bike so the sidestand is on enough of a downhill to work properly. The foot on the sidestand is a bit cheesy so that may get replaced at the same time.

You seem to be taking a very active interest in my new bike. Is there something we should know? :shifty:

NordieBoy
6th August 2010, 17:17
You seem to be taking a very active interest in my new bike. Is there something we should know? :shifty:

Is there room for a DT230 engine in there?

Taz
8th August 2010, 11:49
Is there room for a DT230 engine in there?

Why would you want to make an excellent bike into a POS nordie? :lol:

Rosie
9th September 2010, 12:47
I've just put up some more photos of my rack (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606931) :shutup:

The luggage set up will need some minor tweaks, but mostly it is working well. A bash plate, and a tail tidy are next on the list :yes:

The cold kiwi was my first road trip of any length on the WR, and it did really well.

ADVGD
9th September 2010, 12:57
I've just put up some more photos of my rack (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606931)

Looks like a solid and tidy job Rosie, nice work :niceone:

Taz
9th September 2010, 13:12
I've just put up some more photos of my rack (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606931) :shutup:

Not sure exactly what I was expecting but they are a thing of beauty Rosie. :innocent:

Eddieb
9th September 2010, 13:13

It's gotta be done

Fwoooaaarrr Great rack!

It was quite well done, so simple in execution and it doesn't ruin the lines of the bike.

clint640
9th September 2010, 14:19
The luggage set up will need some minor tweaks, but mostly it is working well. A bash plate, and a tail tidy are next on the list :yes:

...& then the coms system, the windscreen mount... will my work ever be done? :shit:

...hopefully not, I love building shit like this. :yes: The Sherpa rack was pretty agricultural, but then so was the bike, the WR needed something more blingy & I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. The big cutouts on the sides of the carrier actually work quite well as grab handles too, something the back of the bike was lacking a bit.

Now I'm thinking I need to upgrade the racks & carrier on the 640 since we've got the remainder of the length of cromoly tube & the alu lying around...

Cheers
Clint
Fiddling with Rosie's rack since ages ago :love:

Phreaky Phil
9th September 2010, 18:48
Nice work Clint. Nothin like buildn stuff in in the shed:yes:

That looks like fun
9th September 2010, 19:48
Mine most glooorius wife (whats name is Susan :love:) has no need for a rack :yes:, she has a peasant to carry her luggage for her on his bike :shit:
On a lighter note cardboad beer cartons have so many uses around the home. You can even use that grade of cardboard to make a gasket :shifty:

JATZ
10th September 2010, 08:23
I'll have to have a close look at this rack of yours Rosie :shutup:
It looks much simplerer to make than the ones I had planed for MrsJatz bike.

ducatijim
10th September 2010, 09:37
[QUOTE=That looks like fun;1129855976]Mine most glooorius wife (whats name is Susan :love:) has no need for a rack :QUOTE]

I cannot really imagine a wife without a rack, just can't.....its a bit like a bike without a wheel...................................:sick:

NordieBoy
10th September 2010, 12:14
.....its a bit like a bike without a wheel...................................:sick:

A bike without handlebars surely?

Rosie
10th September 2010, 13:03
Meanwhile, how come the WR250R is being beaten by the DR650 in Kiwirider's Bike of the Year? (http://kiwiridermagazine.blogspot.com/2010/09/bike-of-year-off-road.html) :angry:
A lot of people must be intimidated by modern technology :mellow:

Taz
10th September 2010, 14:25
Meanwhile, how come the WR250R is being beaten by the DR650 in Kiwirider's Bike of the Year? (http://kiwiridermagazine.blogspot.com/2010/09/bike-of-year-off-road.html) :angry:
A lot of people must be intimidated by modern technology :mellow:

Maybe alot of guys think they need more cc's as 250's are for gurls? :shifty:

clint640
10th September 2010, 15:42
Maybe alot of guys think they need more cc's as 250's are for gurls? :shifty:

If they made a 450 version I'd be tempted :yes:

Mind you, power to weight wise vs a DR650, there's a hell of a lot less in it than the cc difference would suggest. The DR's gotta lot more boogie off the bottom o'course.

After reading the woeful article in Kiwirider about all the 'upgrades' they are doing to their long termer WR-R, which mainly seems to involve throwing overpriced non functional shiny bits from the Yam accessories catalog at it, I'm tempted to submit my own article with our real world, low $ mods & take the piss.

Clint

cooneyr
10th September 2010, 20:11
If they made a 450 version I'd be tempted :yes:

+1. 450 with those service intervals and a 6 speed and those suspenders:Punk:

After reading the woeful article in Kiwirider about all the 'upgrades' they are doing to their long termer WR-R, which mainly seems to involve throwing overpriced non functional shiny bits from the Yam accessories catalog at it, I'm tempted to submit my own article with our real world, low $ mods & take the piss.

Clint

That's the world over though isn't it? The term farkels says it all.

Waihou Thumper
10th September 2010, 23:14
Still an awesome job....
Fit for the purpose...
Works well.....PLUS - Yes, good ole' Kiwi Bloke attitude too.....
You don't need no motha' GYTR....crap.....make it work...:)
Likw it...Goo skills.
Ummm.....Guess Rosie was holding the lens...:innocent: Great team effort too guys!
Like it.....

clint640
19th September 2010, 17:47
Just added a few pics of the tail tidy I made to the thread over on advrider:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14052805#post14052805

Cheers
Clint

Bass
19th September 2010, 18:12
Great stuff!!
Looking forward to seeing it in action

Rosie
6th January 2011, 12:12
Adventure transformation (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606931)is just about complete :woohoo:

Waihou Thumper
6th January 2011, 12:17
Looking good Rosie......Tidy tail 'n all.....
That boy is a keeper, handy with his Torch and slide rule...:)

Rosie
2nd July 2012, 11:43
I've been busy over on my ADVrider thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606931&page=2).

Highlights include: storage for spare brake and clutch levers; converting the bike into a camera tripod; and a huge sheet of purple adhesive vinyl :blink:

I'm starting to run low on necessary mods... the next big project will be getting rid of all the emissions crap in the exhaust so it no longer gets hot enough to melt my luggage :mellow:

Eddieb
2nd July 2012, 13:03
I've been busy over on my ADVrider thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606931&page=2).

Highlights include: storage for spare brake and clutch levers; converting the bike into a camera tripod; and a huge sheet of purple adhesive vinyl :blink:

I'm starting to run low on necessary mods... the next big project will be getting rid of all the emissions crap in the exhaust so it no longer gets hot enough to melt my luggage :mellow:

So purple adhesive vinyl was a necessary mod?

Rosie
2nd July 2012, 13:15
So purple adhesive vinyl was a necessary mod?

Very much so :yes: A girl's gotta look good when she's out and about :innocent:

Eddieb
2nd July 2012, 13:25
Very much so :yes: A girl's gotta look good when she's out and about :innocent:

I just had a look, it looks good.

Ya better watch what photo's you post up there though, all the ADVguys will be going gaga over pics of a girl using power tools ;)

Rosie
2nd July 2012, 15:46
Ya better watch what photos you post up there though, all the ADVguys will be going gaga over pics of a girl using power tools ;)

I'll make sure future writeups include lots of unflattering photos of me getting angry with said powertools. That should keep the smelly boys in check :shutup:

Night Falcon
2nd July 2012, 18:02
Nice job Rosie.

DR Girl
3rd July 2012, 11:30
Well done Rosie, your bike looks HOT. A superb effort :yes::woohoo::yes: