PDA

View Full Version : I got a new cuiser

Odin
27th May 2005, 21:52
As you might or might not know i have been on the prowl for a Yamaha xv 400 - 600 at a desent price. And thanks to a well known "garbler" on this site I have now got it. It a Yamaha xv500 1988 and perfect for me right now.
But.... (there always is one ay ?) the pipes are a bit.... ehhh... mouldy ... so I will be looking for replacement pipes. I would really like to have to slach cut pipes on one side or something like that but not quite willing to pay 750 for them :gob: :no:
So if anybody knows any body .... please let me know

John
27th May 2005, 21:54
Wow, doesnt look to shabby - looks like there maybe some fun in riding it - have fun with it :)

Waylander
27th May 2005, 22:00
WOOHOO Go the VIRAGO!!!

Ya got the special too. Very nice. If you dont mind ordering from the states you could check ebay. Some very nice ones like mine on there right now. They don't have the colector under the centre stand so they sound much better. Might have to do some custom work to get them to fit though. If ya take a pic of the underside area I'll be able to give you more info on doing it.

Or there are these off of a 535 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35596&item=4552227117&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)

wari
27th May 2005, 22:03
AHem ... garrble garrbell ... AHem ... I"ma match makerr ... DAtts whatt I do .. :grouphug:

Ixion
27th May 2005, 22:05
It looks rather nice. I can't make up my mind about cruisers. I used to hate them, but nowdays I think I may be changing my mind. Maybe I'm just getting old. Or maybe it's a reaction against the extremism of sports bikes.

Grizz
27th May 2005, 22:16
As you might or might not know i have been on the prowl for a Yamaha xv 400 - 600 at a desent price. And thanks to a well known "garbler" on this site I have now got it. It a Yamaha xv500 1988 and perfect for me right now.
But.... (there always is one ay ?) the pipes are a bit.... ehhh... mouldy ... so I will be looking for replacement pipes. I would really like to have to slach cut pipes on one side or something like that but not quite willing to pay 750 for them :gob: :no:

Have you tried custom chambers in East Tamaki?

Odin
27th May 2005, 22:19
WOOHOO Go the VIRAGO!!!

Ya got the special too. Very nice. If you dont mind ordering from the states you could check ebay. Some very nice ones like mine on there right now. They don't have the colector under the centre stand so they sound much better. Might have to do some custom work to get them to fit though. If ya take a pic of the underside area I'll be able to give you more info on doing it.

I don't mind to much ordering from states as long as the price is right. Have you got a pic of your pipes (not to be misunderstood).

I shall get a pic of the underside tomorrow.

Ixion : Cruisers are nice and you don't HAVE to be old (I'm very young still :baby:) but if you'd like to go 160+ at all times they can get a bit windy.

Waylander
27th May 2005, 22:28
Yea I have a pic just give me a sec to dig it up. And no you don't have to be old. I'm only 21 and I ride a bug cruiser.

Mounting a set like mine should be easy to do though you may need to get a set that has the header for the rear pipe included. That's why I need to see the underside to see where the header of the rear cylinder goes. Can't find the '88 500 on Yamaha's website.

My pipes look a bit crappy right now but I plan on pulling them off to get cleaned and re-chromed when I have the cash.

Have a look around in here to get an idea of what you can find on Ebay. Just do me a favor if you run across any gauges for an 1100 between 1990 and 1998 let me know.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/Virago-exhaust_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQsaspi Z2QQsamcmZ6000QQsacatZ6000QQcatrefZC6QQsargnZ-1QQsaslcZ2QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsadisZ200QQfposZQ5AIPQ 2FPostalQQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1QQcoactionZcompareQQcopage numZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch

Odin
27th May 2005, 22:35
mmmmmm, rrrrrrrrr..... piiiiiiiiipes ....mmm

Looking good, how much did you have to spend on them ? I think you should get some new ones and I'll get rid of them there for you, no charge :niceone:

Waylander
27th May 2005, 22:39
Actually they were on the bike when I got it. I think someone may have done it even before my dad bought it becouse I always thought they were stock until a few weeks ago.
As for giving you these. Nah I'll keep them beside you dont want them. If you could see the headers and the rest of the pipes thay are dull and rusty. Gonna have to have them sandblasted before they can be chromed again.

Though I wouldn't mind getting these here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35596&item=4552588755&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW) but I wont have the money for them in a long, long time.

Odin
27th May 2005, 22:47
They look good. Have you bought on e-bay US before ? and had something shipped to here ? How much do you think shipping might be ?

Id get these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35596&item=4551528855&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW) for that price.

But i think i need something that will fir like these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35596&item=4552236328&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW). I think these would replace them but thats not what i want.
Might have a look at aus ebay :-D

Waylander
27th May 2005, 22:51
Never had shipping from states to here but I have bought off ebay before. Shouldn't be too exphensive and if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks it might just cost you just over $30. That's just a guess though, you can talk to the seller and arrange for cheap shipping.

The first ones are allright but they will be a bit quiet with the collector on them. Up to you though. The second one is pretty much the same thing you have on there only cleaner.

Didn't even know there was an Ebay.au, gonna have to check that one myself.

Edit: Checked Aussie. Nothin there but a couple of mint XV250s.

Holy Roller
28th May 2005, 08:17

What a great bike
A year younger than my old one. You will certainly have fun on that. :niceone: First thing I would do is drop off the back wheel and remove the diff unit and apply some grease to the splines that connect the shaft to the diff. Should be done at every tire change. Not being aware of this maintainance requirement could see a fantastic trip away leaving one with no go and much disapointment. They are great in the twisties though watch for the pegs grounding out can give you heck of a start if not expecting it. I had mine for 5years and no major probs, battery replaced and clutch, tires and oil.
I do love shaft drives
Keep the rubber side down :ride:

The pipes will be throatier if the rear baffle cover is unriveted from them.

gav
28th May 2005, 08:20
Re ebay, first thing is to check whether seller will send to New Zealand, come prefer US only, then ask them for a price to ship out here. I'd imagine a set of mufflers and/or pipes could be pretty expensive because of the weight/size etc. But no hartnm in asking. I've had boxes with fairing panels sent and also had a carbon fibre muffler sent, on air looking about 5 days.

crashe
28th May 2005, 12:28
WOHOOOOOO another Virago rider..... :niceone: :niceone:

Waylander: whats the link/site to check out the mint 250's in oz?

I am looking for either a sissy bar or a pack rack to go on the back of mine...
Want one reallllllllllllll cheappppppppppppppppppp.

Waylander
28th May 2005, 12:49
WOHOOOOOO another Virago rider..... :niceone: :niceone:

Waylander: whats the link/site to check out the mint 250's in oz?

I am looking for either a sissy bar or a pack rack to go on the back of mine...
Want one reallllllllllllll cheappppppppppppppppppp.

http://search.ebay.com.au/Virago_Motorcycles_W0QQcatrefZC3QQcatrefZC6QQcoact ionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfpos ZPostcodeQQfromZR2QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1 QQga10244Z10425QQsacatZ32073QQsadisZ200QQsbrftogZ1 QQsocdpfcatZ32073QQsofocusZbs

There ya go crash. No parts though. You can find heaps of them for in the states though.

For the ones that wont ship overseas, if you give me a heads up before you buy it then I can ask my sister if she will recieve them and send them on.

Odin, I'm sure there are several people up there who know how to weld and have the gear. If you ask nicely maybe they will help out. I'de even be tempted to come up and help make them. (though I dont know how to weld.) Probably only cost you the cash for a long pipe and some beer.:drinkup: Anyway mate up to you. It's your baby, I just like seeing other Viragos on the road.:Punk:

Hell Crashe might even be able to get rid of your bikes colector box asswell if you wanted.:devil2:

crashe
28th May 2005, 15:00
Cheers thanks..... just checked the four of them out....

Gee the first one only has 400km on the clock.... and its going for the cheapest price.

crashe
28th May 2005, 15:01
Hell Crashe might even be able to get rid of your bikes colector box asswell if you wanted.:devil2:

Ok what is a "colector box" ?

Waylander
28th May 2005, 15:03
The first one is custom too. Drag bars and a custom seat. And if all the 250s come with pipes like yours then those arn't stock either. Though why they did those is beyond me.

Colector box is the thing that both your pipes feed into at the bottom of your bike under the seat. Works like a muffler.

crashe
28th May 2005, 15:08
The first one is custom too. Drag bars and a custom seat. And if all the 250s come with pipes like yours then those arn't stock either. Though why they did those is beyond me.

The first bike has custom pipes on them and it dont look nice or right at all.

All the rest of the other bike's pipes are like mine.... stock standard pipes.

Odin
28th May 2005, 23:17
I don't see much difference between the first and the rest of them. I'd take any of thouse pipes over mine (mine has a hole in then to :no: )

Waylander
29th May 2005, 02:24
Look at the bars and pipes in the first one then one of the other ones. And nah Stick with the 500 mate. More power when you need/want it.

Odin
29th May 2005, 03:29
Don't worry, i won't go down a size from 500cc, more likely to go up at one point or an other. I do still have my Honda 750 Magna (se pic) What i meant was i dont se to much difrence in the pipes on thouse models ? Guess they end a bit different but largely they seem the same ?

crashe
29th May 2005, 12:37
Don't worry, i won't go down a size from 500cc, more likely to go up at one point or an other. I do still have my Honda 750 Magna (se pic) What i meant was i dont se to much difrence in the pipes on thouse models ? Guess they end a bit different but largely they seem the same ?

First bike has ONE pipe coming out hence it being custom made. It also has had straight handlebars put on it.

All the other bikes have two pipes showing, plus they have apehangers.

Check out the pipe and exhaust system on the bottom bikes.
The pipe that comes out from the front of the bike and its joined to the bottom exhaust is one pipe. Now see the other top pipe coming from the middle of the bike... well that top curvy piece is a false pipe. The actual pipe is underneath and joins into the top exhaust. I hope that makes sense.

The top curvy pipe (coming out of the middle of the bike) never gets hot as its there for show. They wanted the bike to look like the Harley Sportser...lol and they needed the two pipes.

When we meet out there on a ride I will show you in person what I mean on my bike.

Waylander
29th May 2005, 13:10
Ape hangers are much taller than that. The ones like you and I have on our bikes are called Bull horns.

These are ape hangers.
http://www.redhorsecycles.com/images/options/apehanger.jpg

These are bullhorn.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7730
:no: :crybaby: :cry:

Odin
29th May 2005, 20:01
Nice bike waylander, I'm guessing this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7730) is yours ?

I have taken some pic's of my pipes, didn't have time to clean anything up much :whistle: :whocares: and they where taken in a totaly dark garrage just clicking away pointing in the general direction. But i think it shows how the pipes are configured resonably. And it kind of shows that new ones would be good :yes:

The last pic shows a "nice" patch job :unsure: done on the pipes. (not by me)

Waylander
29th May 2005, 22:36
Yup that's my baby, pre-wreck. Yea probably be a good idea to replace those pipes anyway. Easy as, Let me know when you get to it.:Punk:

hondacmx450
29th May 2005, 23:18
Ape hangers are much taller than that. The ones like you and I have on our bikes are called Bull horns.

These are ape hangers.
http://www.redhorsecycles.com/images/options/apehanger.jpg

These are bullhorn.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7730
:no: :crybaby: :cry:

hahah iv got them 09 size