PDA

View Full Version : Auckland: Alfa Towing

p.dath
1st July 2010, 07:37
I've had the mis-fortune of having my bike break down recently and needed a tow back to a workshop.

I'm with Kiwibike/Swann Insurance, so I called their break down service (hoping to get a bike friendly tow operator), and Alfa Towing was dispatched.

I was marginally worried when he first turned up as he had a big tow truck. It was a flat deck style truck, and I guess it was about 5 tonne (just a guess). The deck was maybe chest height. I was wonderng how the hell he was going to get the bike onto it.
He told me his next job was to pick up a digger.

Never fear. The whole deck was hydraulic. He tilted it up, and then slid it backwards to meet the ground. He helped me wheel the bike onto the deck, and then got me to hold it there while he leveled the deck again.

He clearly knew what he was doing. He stropped down the bike front and back, until the suspension was well compressed. He got me to see if I could move the bike at all, which I couldn't.

He then took the bike and myself to the workshop of my choice.

So thank you Alfa Towing. If you need a tow (probably around central or west Auckland) I would highly recommend these guys.

Edbear
1st July 2010, 07:59
Nice to read a positive report about towies! Goodonyer!

Max Preload
1st July 2010, 10:43
I used Alfa the one and only time I've needed a vehicle of my own towed (a car - after the EFI fuel pump stopped working at 100km/h in the right lane northbound approaching the Newmarket Viaduct, which of course has no emergency stopping lane - perfect!). They were quick and efficient and it cost me a mere $90 for a one-way 30km tow home on a flat deck, as I'd requested (being a RWD auto and only having front lift access being stuck in the triangular flush median by the Khyber Pass exit only thanks to a push from a Highway Patrol ute driven by an aging Welshman from the tiny space just over the viaduct where I and a truckie had pushed it to).