PDA

View Full Version : Cunning way to get CHEAPER 12 MONTH REGO (licensing)

v8s&2wheels
1st July 2010, 09:43
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/registration-licensing/fees.html

Only works for bikes 601cc and above..

De-reg your motorbike and then re register under new registration costs it has registration fees and 12 months licensing for $467.06... Thats $50 a year cheaper.

Surely its not as easy as i say is it? Am i missing a vital link of money somewhere that would make this more expensive than just re-licensing?

bogan
1st July 2010, 09:44
think you're missing the $120 brake test that a bike shop has to do (iirc)

v8s&2wheels
1st July 2010, 09:51
think you're missing the $120 brake test that a bike shop has to do (iirc)

Yep didnt know about that, nevermind was worth a try.

imdying
1st July 2010, 12:58
Hmmm, I could do that for free...

Mully
1st July 2010, 13:02
And if you de-reg it, doesn't it need to have a new VIN inspection too?

breakaway
1st July 2010, 13:03
Does a shop have to do the brake test? I thought the only requirement for the brake "test" was that a competent person take some measurements and compare them against factory specifications?

Heh. Competent.

Taz
1st July 2010, 13:30
A cheaper way is not to pay.

R6_kid
1st July 2010, 14:02

De-reg your motorbike and then re register under new registration costs it has registration fees and 12 months licensing for $467.06... Thats $50 a year cheaper.

Surely its not as easy as i say is it? Am i missing a vital link of money somewhere that would make this more expensive than just re-licensing?

You're kinda right, but then your 'WOF' aka a re-registration check/'VIN' costs $150-180 to get done that one time. After that you have a 'new' bike which lasts a few years so you only need WOF once in 12mths - so you save $28/yr. Also brake cert is anywhere between $30-70 ($120... WTF! you got ripped off)

Not to mention that the re-registration check is somewhat more indepth than a WOF and so may show up things that normal WOF wouldn't - they should be fixed anyway, but in this case you may end up paying up for something that may not have been picked up when getting a WOF.

It's also a pain in the ass, takes at least a few days to get it all soreted in which time you won't have your bike, and they are also likely to start asking questions if you de-reg it then re-register it again straight away (think FRAUD = JAIL).

False economy.

bogan
1st July 2010, 14:16
Also brake cert is anywhere between $30-70 ($120... WTF! you got ripped off)

perhaps i did not recal correctly, 70$ sounds about right as well...

skinny
1st July 2010, 14:46
Does a shop have to do the brake test? I thought the only requirement for the brake "test" was that a competent person take some measurements and compare them against factory specifications?

Heh. Competent.

Yep thats correct, i did mine myself only a few months ago. You do need manufactures OEM specs to compare with and a digital calliper.

It cost me $225 to register the bike pretty sure that was inclusive of WOF and 6 month Rego but i will check.

skinny
1st July 2010, 15:11
Yep thats correct, i did mine myself only a few months ago. You do need manufactures OEM specs to compare with and a digital calliper.

It cost me $225 to register the bike pretty sure that was inclusive of WOF and 6 month Rego but i will check.

Sorry thats $190 for vinning / wof and 225 for registration.

Mully
1st July 2010, 15:13
You're kinda right, but then your 'WOF' aka a re-registration check/'VIN' costs $150-180 to get done that one time. After that you have a 'new' bike which lasts a few years so you only need WOF once in 12mths - so you save $28/yr.

Umm, what?

How does re-vinning a bike make it new?

I'm not disagreeing with anything else you've said, but I'd love this to be clarified.

imdying
1st July 2010, 15:16
Newly registered... system sees it as 'new' (or freshly imported, or back on the road, or whatever takes your fancy).

scott411
1st July 2010, 16:56

you are missing a link, a new rego on a 601 and over bike is $578.68, were a reliceince is $517.25, you had looked at the under 600 new rego figure

edit, the site is missing a figure, the rego list for new bikes is

0-60cc $434.43
61-600cc $467.06
601cc and over $578.68

Mully
1st July 2010, 19:26
Newly registered... system sees it as 'new' (or freshly imported, or back on the road, or whatever takes your fancy).

Yeah, but you still don't get 12 month WOFs unless it's under 6 years old, correct?

imdying
1st July 2010, 19:38
Ahh I see what you're getting at :yes: I can't give you a definitive answer, but AFAIK it's based on date of manufacturer so no.

Mully
1st July 2010, 19:41
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/warrants-certifications/getting-wof/about.html

Legally, you must have your vehicle inspected for a warrant of fitness (WoF):

* every 12 months, if your vehicle is less than six years old
* every six months, if your vehicle is more than six years old.

_STAIN_
1st July 2010, 20:06

Heh. Competent.

correct the arse that NZTA is allows "anyone" that can use a ruler or such like to do the brake compliance