PDA

View Full Version : Which bike?

jim.cox
2nd July 2010, 12:33
been thinking about a new bike - something with a bit more offroad ability than the MHR

So far I've found a wee green mean machine

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=299420214

and a Suzuki DRZ

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=284196537

So all you experts, which would you choose? and why?

clint640
2nd July 2010, 12:44
They both look pretty good to me, I don't think you'd go far wrong with either one. A few of the boys on here have owned one or the other, I'm sure they'll chime in shortly.

Cheers
Clint

warewolf
2nd July 2010, 13:42
I'd go the greenie... it's about 15 years newer design for a start.

The DR-Z has been around with little in the way of changes since 1994/5, '00 or '01 was the biggest revision with re-tuned suspension & carb. I had an '01 for a few years, it served me very well as a cheap do-everything bike but I was never entirely happy with it, mainly due to carburetion issues. Used it for commuting, sports fangs, light touring, off-road/trail rides and cross-country racing. Oh, and I had the shock re-valved so the suspension was sh!tloads better than a stocker.

wysper
2nd July 2010, 15:05
Funny how the no changes things for ages can be taken two ways. It could also be considered that they had it pretty much nailed for the price point. And there were no reason to make wholesale changes.

My DR650 falls into that category. Sure you could make improvements, and many people do, but it does what it says it will right out of the box no problems.

A question for you Jim, how off road is off road for you?

jim.cox
2nd July 2010, 15:22
A question for you Jim, how off road is off road for you?

How long is a peice of string...

If I really want to off-road I have my tramping boots :)

I'm definately looking for something at the dirt end of the spectrum

But it has to be capable of open road speeds

I've had 600 cc plus DP bikes that were too big for real trail riding

And even they were dead boring on the road (I kept on wishing I was riding my Ducati)

I figure I can cope with onroad boredom in exchange for more offroad ability

And if I go for 250 or under my kids can use it to get their licences

So I'm not looking at WR450's, Vstroms, KTM 900S and all those other nice bikes - really I'm not - well maybe just a little bit....

Gremlin
3rd July 2010, 03:34
990 SM :D

Taken mine through forests, but not a trail bike. Big, but awesome on the road, and the grunt of 1L :devil2:

MXNUT
3rd July 2010, 09:18
Both of those bikes are very good for offroad, used to have a KLX myself a few years back, BUT .... being 250's both will struggle on road at
100 kmh + speeds and over taking unless they are geared up a bit - which will then decrease their off road ability.

I would look for a bigger engine capacity of at least 400cc

tri boy
3rd July 2010, 09:34
What MXNUT said.
The increase in weight from a 250, to a 400 is minor.
KLX400, DR350,DRZ400E,XR400,etc in the Jap class.
Gas Gas, KTM, even BMW450 if you want to let the moths right out of the wallet.
Most of us plebs ride big fat chookies because road speed/comfort is about 80% of our requirements.
Blokes like Mark, ex motox/enduro riders take the trade of less comfort for much more trail agility. (He could still smoke most of us on a Goldwing circa 79 through the Traverse though).

warewolf
3rd July 2010, 14:47
Funny how the no changes things for ages can be taken two ways. It could also be considered that they had it pretty much nailed for the price point.Perhaps, but 15 years is a looooong time. That KLX is the next generation for the staid, long-model-run trailie class.

used to have a KLX myself a few years back, BUT .... being 250's both will struggle on road at 100 kmh + speeds and over taking unless they are geared up a bit - which will then decrease their off road ability.

I would look for a bigger engine capacity of at least 400ccSounds like it wasn't the current generation KLX you had?

Gearing-wise, I geared mine up slightly for the road which was actually nicer to ride because you could hold gears for longer. But probably accelerated slower while the drive was engaged. The off-road wheelset was geared down lots. OEM gearing was actually a great compromise.

The increase in weight from a 250, to a 400 is minor.So is the seat height. But both become quite significant off-road, especially for the less experienced. Both factors put me off the 400s when I was shopping.

KLX400, DR350,DRZ400E,XR400,etc in the Jap class.Unfortunately since NZ is still only at the talking-about stage with LAMS :bash:, for Learners the 400s are all out.

But it doesn't really matter. What you are happy with (ie the compromises you want) changes with time. Buy the one that takes your fancy.

cooneyr
3rd July 2010, 15:16
Gidday Jimbo. I've been having a heap of fun on my 1991 XR250R. Been about 5 years since I've ridden a 250. Sure the big bikes are better on the road but the little bikes are a heap more fun on the trails. I'd be very tempted to drink the green cool aid for the same reason as WW said i.e. more up to date. I'd not be worried about the KM difference and the reg and bash plate on the DRZ is not worth the extra $1250.

As with all bikes take both for a ride and see what floats your boat.

Cheers R

jim.cox
5th July 2010, 09:44
What MXNUT said.

Nah - Don't think so - I find even the 600's boring on the open road - so I see no advantage to a 40O

And I dont mind gearing up a 250 a wee bit

dino3310
5th July 2010, 13:20
Nah - Don't think so - I find even the 600's boring on the open road -

unless theres a good stereo i find the open road boring no matter what im on thats why i ADV:yes:
but seen how most of my rides are metal i was soooo temted to go the 1/4 litre way, but then i rode the XR and :done: