PDA

View Full Version : Plug for Cycleworks

badlieutenant
28th May 2005, 10:17
OK picked up my new exhaust yesterday from these guys and I must say Im very pleased with the product.
I cant justify spending heaps on an old bike like mine so I was hopeing to either build my own again or get a second hand pair of mufflers. I gave cycle works a ring just to price it out and at 300$ for a new pair of cans I had to go for it. At that price I just cant build a set nor would I bother with second hand.
Originally I was told 350$ but they reduced the price because all of my old parts could be used (brackets, clamps, end cap, internals and my own packing)
Buggered if they didnt just provide all that anyway. I now have new cans ready just to slip on.
When I first rang I wasnt too sure as thier phone skills leave a little bit to be desired. But thier ability to talk wasnt why I rang them.
All in all a good price for a very nice product built on time. Recommended :Punk:
Cycleworks Motorcycle Exhausts

168 Eastern Hutt Rd Lower Hutt Wellington
0-4-939 2925

magnum
2nd June 2005, 19:32
hi,met the guy who owns/runs this business(on the ferry to picton a few months back) and he was a top bloke,also seemed to know what he was talking about. :niceone:

Odin
2nd June 2005, 19:53
Do they have an email addr ? I'm ...eeehhh ... Not in wellington :D but would like a quote anyways. Might ride down there with it ...

jazbug5
2nd June 2005, 19:53
Tell you what: he must be a genius if he's able to produce something that Bad L's this delighted with. This is not a man to settle for anything less than he can produce himself, given the time and tools (and Bad's very, very handy given those).
You should have seen the massive cheesy grin on his phizzog, and the way he waved them around for hours and hours afterwards..!
Good effort, chaps.

jazbug5
2nd June 2005, 19:55
No, I don't think they're on the net as Mr. L tried to find them that way at first. I could be wrong (I hope) and they may have an email addy, but I'm sure we can rustle up a phone number at least..!

Odin
2nd June 2005, 20:00
....... can rustle up a phone number at least..!

Found it thanks :niceone: , will give them (and a few other places) a call tomorrow. I so want nice pipes :yes:

riffer
2nd June 2005, 22:15
Yeah, Cycleworks are great.

Damon straightened my triple clamps for me when I stacked my fizzer into a boat trailer last year.

Nice guy to talk to, and there's usually some interesting Pre '89 bikes getting tweaked whenever I go over there.

He also sells race stands as well. Not as big a mark up on his stuff as some bike shops.

And Cycleworks mufflers sound good too. :Punk:

badlieutenant
3rd June 2005, 21:11
I liked the GN250 with the evil pipe :D

Drew
5th June 2005, 12:21
I built my own stainless muffler/loudener, and the only thing that cost was having them welded together. I could have done that myself as well if I had got some stainless wire for my mig. Go to a scrap dealer and buy some stainless pipe, get a meter of two inch perferated pipe( cost $40) some elbow grease and time to chop it all the length you need, stuff it full of pink batts, and its time to rock and roll. anyone in Welle wants some help, PM me and I am happy to be of service. I wiil see if I can put a picture on here

Drew
5th June 2005, 13:07
Not a great photo, but I only have a pxt phone to use.

badlieutenant
6th June 2005, 10:35
My previous mufflers were all home made as well. I used alloy tubing and fibre glass packing. Worked well. But when I added up the cost :alloy tubing pref tubing, packing welding for end caps, clamps and then the time to find all of this in a town Im not too familiar with ........it was easier to pay for them :D

Drew
6th June 2005, 11:27
I wanted to use alluminium, but since I get the tubing for free, begers can't be choosers and all that. I made two of them, and it should have cost $170 for the pair. But sinse I only paid for the perf tube, it was moocho cheapness.

badlieutenant
7th June 2005, 09:54
I wanted to use alluminium, but since I get the tubing for free, begers can't be choosers and all that. I made two of them, and it should have cost $170 for the pair. But sinse I only paid for the perf tube, it was moocho cheapness.
ahh you can see then why I thought cycleworks was a good deal. I would have paid 170$ and still not have had them built, throw in the time that I could be working to get them made and...............easier to pay cycleworks.
Made nice noises going thru the vic tunnel. When people started to beep thier horns Id give a bit of throttle and drown them out :D V4 echos sound good :D

Odin
7th June 2005, 10:12
So if i was to get my hands on some mufflers like the attached would they be good for a xv500 ? Is there anything i should worry about ? And I'd run it to a problem with the header pipes as they would be to short. I would have to get some pipes made to connect the mufflers to the header pipes. I'm thinking an engineering shop would cut and bend it easy and i could most likely get them to weld them too ? But what pipe to use ? anything i should look out for ?

vifferman
7th June 2005, 10:13
And Cycleworks mufflers sound good too. :Punk:
I can second that! :niceone:
I had Cyclework 'mufflers' on the XBR500RS Mutant.

badlieutenant
7th June 2005, 11:03
So if i was to get my hands on some mufflers like the attached would they be good for a xv500 ? Is there anything i should worry about ? And I'd run it to a problem with the header pipes as they would be to short. I would have to get some pipes made to connect the mufflers to the header pipes. I'm thinking an engineering shop would cut and bend it easy and i could most likely get them to weld them too ? But what pipe to use ? anything i should look out for ?
Id give them a ring and explain the situation. Looking at the picture of your bike id say that they have made pipes that overcome your worries before. They have been around a while.........

random99
30th January 2008, 04:07
All i have to say to you all is- damon is my uncle and cycleworks is the best if anyone thinks any different then they dont know what they are talking bout!!!:2thumbsup

Gubb
30th January 2008, 05:58
Cheers for that dredge.

huck farley
30th January 2008, 07:06
All in all a good price for a very nice product built on time. Recommended :Punk:
Cycleworks Motorcycle Exhaust. 168 Eastern Hutt Rd Lower Hutt Wellington 0-4-939 2925

I will second that Cycleworks made me a 3 into 1 for my Thunderbird and got it dead right. Also he got a Speedmaster sounding real good for me. Pity the bike didn't go as good as it sounded. Gutless 8oocc parallel twin. But these boys at cycle works are magic when it comes to building you a new Muffler and a fraction of the price and better built than the after market shit the Franchise wants for the same thing!!

vifferman
30th January 2008, 07:50
Yeah, they do good work alright.
I had a pair of Cycleworks zorsts on the XBR500RS Mutant, and they were great (in both noise and quality of construction).

Trudes
30th January 2008, 18:11
I love my Cycleworks exhausts, nothing's too much trouble, good guys!

geoffm
30th January 2008, 21:50
$300/pair is a steal - without question. As noted by others, you would be hard pressed to make them for that, and there is a bit of work in them unless you are tooled up for it and making lots of them.
Any photos?
Geoff

xwhatsit
30th January 2008, 22:37
I can second that! :niceone:
I had Cyclework 'mufflers' on the XBR500RS Mutant.

Yeah, they do good work alright.
I had a pair of Cycleworks zorsts on the XBR500RS Mutant, and they were great (in both noise and quality of construction).

Silly twit, the thumper vibes went to your head -- you've done the same post twice in the same thread, 3 years apart :laugh:

SteveNZ
8th March 2008, 06:59
The Street Triple goes into them today to get a 3 into 1 made up for it, damned if I'm paying the $2500-odd that Arrow want for their system, and who needs 3 catalytic convertors anyway!? They're gonna do something of the same style as the Arrow one so will be interesting to see the results, I'll bung some pics on here anyway.

I got a pair of pipes made by them many years ago for my old GPZ-500 which was a necessity as the original ones were stuffed and it had a massive hole in the midrange power. New pipes made it seem a different bike, and from memory it was only something like $500 for the pair. About ten years later the bike is still to be seen around the city so the pipes haven't fallen apart :)