PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Honda/Jialing Mod Rocket

ScarFace
4th July 2010, 18:06
Also listed on trademe: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=300725990

Mod Rocket 50 Streetbike.

Very similar to the Moto NZ50 but better looking.

Bought this Moped at the start of the gear because my parents would let me get a 250cc but I recently got my Basic Skills Handling Test and I am soon doing my Theory for my learners bike licence so I will just buy a GN250 or similar. Plan to sell this to get money to buy a 250. This bike is awesome for someone who is thinking about buying a scooter but wants the biker look, the manual clutch would be good for someone who is working their way up to a bigger bike, its very forgiving and easy to learn on.

The bike is an updated version of the classic Honda SS50, developed by joint venture with Jialing Co in China.

Four stroke overhead cam engine...same as the Honda CR 50 engine.

Some parts also available from the Honda shop on Angelsea St.

Dimensions(measured by me): 170cm (wheel end to wheel end), 75cm seat hight, and 55cm wide (footpeg to footpeg). So its not a mini bike.

Its cheap as on fuel.

Light (just over 80kgs)

Four speed gearbox.

Digital gear position display on speedo.

Full size frame and 75 cm seat height

Load capacity 150kg.

Up to 180 mpg (60 km/l)!

Kick start and electric start.

CDI ignition.

New iridium spark plug.

Get changed oil, and the winner of this auction will receive another 4 litres, good for another 4 changes.

Comes with the manual.

Can be ridden on a learners or car licence and registered as a moped.
No need for WOF.

Cost me like $90 to register for a year, and Its good untill next january.

Moped registration rules state maximum speed of 50km/h so engine is regulated to 50km/h, but can be deregulated for off road use and then can go up to 70-75km/h.

I am happy for people to come view the bike and I am happy to start it up for people.

geoffm
5th July 2010, 20:56
So how do you derestrict one of these?

Willdat?
6th July 2010, 17:50
Snip a wire in the back of the speedo, mine did GPS verifed 82km/h (on the flat, no wind) once derestricted, suspicious they're not actually 49cc...

ScarFace
8th July 2010, 11:02
The restrictor has been removed, thanks to the guy I bought it off. Not sure exactly what he did though, I suspect its something to do with the exhaust.

Solex
29th January 2011, 15:54
Having owned a MOTO NZ50 for 4 years with so much BS floating around about the Mod non Rocket I thought I’d throw in my 2 cents worth!

Outside Wellington motorcycles where I occasionally go to drool I recently had a pretty new Mod Rocket side-by-side with my far from new 2007 Moto NZ50 (which has now done over 16000 km) and I have to say my NZ50 is still far superior.

The NZ50 is much better finished compared to the cheap & nasty looking Mod with its plastic lunchbox speedo (no tacho), painted exhaust and spoke wheels. The only significant similarity is the engine layout. The very detailed Moto NZ50 photos on Trademe and NZMOTO’s website probably say it all http://www.nzmoto.com/page4.php?view=thumbnailList&category=0
If you keep clicking on the website photos there's good detailed blowups.

Amongst other things the Moto NZ50 has proper speedo and tacho instruments, cool mag wheels and real Honda pedigree as is made under a technology transfer agreement between Honda and Jialing. Honda appears to own 70% of the Jialing Honda joint venture.
http://www.allbusiness.com/retail-trade/motor-vehicle-parts-dealers-motor-motorcycle/417667-1.html?yahss=114-2974554-417667&siap=1

Altho' the Trademe advert seems reluctant to say this (in fact falsely states it's made by Jialing) according to the manufacturers plate under the steering head the Mod Rocket is made by Lifan, one of at least 6 Chinese companies which make relatively crappy copies of the original Honda SS50. Only Jialing appears to have the direct Honda association.

The Mod is evidently a Chinese domestic model as still has the number plate mounting lugs on the front mudguard which according to my LTNZ mate here in Wgtn is illegal in NZ due to potential danger to pedestrians. If the Mod ever gets inspected by LTNZ the front mudguard will have to be changed.

Of course got to talking with the Mod Rocket owner and as you do went for a ride together to compare performance. My Moto NZ50 is stock apart from I threw away the air cleaner years ago, run an NGK iridium spark plug and use Energy Release oil additive (as recommended by NZ Moto Ltd) but in spite of well over 14000 more kms on the clock my old NZ50 cleaned up that Mod Rocket - what a laugh! OK the guy outweighed me by a couple of kgs but I don't think that was the particular reason his face was almost as red as his bike by the time we got back to the Kiwi Pub after our Oriental Parade/Evans Bay circuit. Of course I was particularly jubilant so shouted the first round of beers which cheered him up (and me more so of course)!

Something else important I particularly like about my NZ50 is the full parts list with prices stated on the website - no warm fuzzies, the parts are definitely here in NZ and not stripped off other bikes that came with the same container full!
http://www.nzmoto.com/page6.php
In 4 years I've never had to touch my NZ50 apart from 600ml oil changes every 1000 kms, spark plug changeout to an NGK iridium, tighten the engine mounting bolts twice and 2 back tyres and 1 front. I’ve always used CRC to clean it and in the last couple of years found Ballistol ($16 from NZMOTO) which makes CRC seem like dishwater, so I’d like to think my NZ50 still looks pretty smart in spite of its high k's and all weather usage.

Anyway when it was parked outside the Kiwi Pub about 18 months ago it got T'd by a (drunk?) hit and run in a white Jappa - I'm still looking for you, you bastard. I paid for the new speedo ($20), left hand grip switches ($18.30), left side cover ($18.82), left indicators ($11.60 each), left mirror ($12.70) and chrome exhaust ($81.75) by internet banking and it all arrived 2 days later. Absolutely brilliant - in 3 days my smashed to bits NZ50 was up and running for $170 including postage, looking better than ever with a brand new chrome pipe. I reckon the parts are bloody good value and the NZMOTO guy in New Plymouth knocked off the 12.5% GST because the order was over $100 - thanks bud your are really helpful!

A guy I know in Kapiti recently bought a replacement Moto engine for his NZ50 for $450 - it came overnight from New Plymouth in original factory packing. He's a young guy and wiped out at speed in the wet hitting a kerb and cracking part of the engine crankcase so it wouldn't hold oil. Luckily he only had a few scrapes and sprained his wrist as held onto the bike as it went down. He reckons him and his mates changed out the engine in 15 minutes. He’s back to commuting into Wgtn every day.

Anyway, overall both bikes are not totally dissimilar commuters, even if the NZ50 is definitely faster. Considering the Trademe new cost of each the Mod is cheaper in the South Island but in the south part of the North Island both cost about the same. So if you live in the South Island and just want the cheapest transport of its type buy the Mod (non - LOL) Rocket but if you want something that's worth cleaning, has brilliant parts support and looks like a Honda SS50 rather than a Chinese clone then I'd go for the much superior Moto NZ50.

Before hitting the Submit Reply button I've just re-read what I've written and as my NZ50 is getting a little long in the tooth I've decided on the spur of the moment to buy another one just in case they sell out or something. At this rate it should last me the rest of my life! LOL. If you make it to the Kiwi Pub on a Thursday night the guy with the gleaming new Moto NZ50 will be me. I'll probably just flip the number plate between the old one and the new as intend keeping the old one for continuing to commute to Lower Hutt every day, rain or shine.

QUESTION: What’s the difference between a Hoover and a Harley?

ANSWER: The position of the dirt bag!

Ride well – whatever your wheels are…
it's not whether you get there, it's how you get there - life's about the journey not the destination.

MOTO NZ50 photos
http://www.nzmoto.com/data/storage/attachments/fe06b9fba63a1c5424ab5788b1cb4089.jpg
http://www.nzmoto.com/data/storage/attachments/0e221e5b43f15b4a3fc7d443d61ad501.jpg
MOD ROCKET photos
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/42/123444042_full.jpg
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/2/85280302_full.jpg

modrocker
9th May 2011, 22:36
The above rant about the comparison between the Mod Rocket and the NZ50 is very similar in tone and wording to the bull that the owner of NZMoto has been putting around, about the Mod Rocket.
In fact the main difference between the bikes is that the NZ50 has a 72 cc engine.
This is clear if you look in the NZ50 website under specifications...the engine model is listed as 1P47FMD...the 47 refers to the bore of the engine....47 mm being the bore of a 72 cc engine of this type. NZ 50s are 72cc. Which explains their greater power compared to Mod Rockets...only trouble is if you buy one, and register it as a moped, you are Unknowingly breaking the law and may be stuck with a lemon that is not legal to ride. The guy selling these bikes is selling them to unsuspecting riders who are liable, as presumably is he. If/when the cops get wind if this all NZ50s could be banned from moped registration and, would be unlikely to gain rego as motorcycles. If I bought a bike sold under such false pretenses, id be pissed right off.
Sure 72cc is better/faster then 50, except for higher gas consumption, but selling bikes that are UNREGISTERABLE and illegal to rise on the road, is pretty dodgy.
My Mod Rocket has a genuine 49cc engine and is marked as 1P39FMB ie a 39mm bore, (I've had the head off to check).